Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

alg posted:

Haven't basically all their Kickstarters failed?

I expect part of the draw is going to be "Cam Banks doing a 2E Marvel Heroic-inspired system" as much as "Sentinels of the Multiverse"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I remember seeing those Robotech games last year at PAX Unplugged.

I wasn't able to try them but there was a 2ft tall cardboard battle-mode Macross game piece that looked rad as hell.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'd like a good superhero RPG so I'll keep an eye on it, but if SotM's card game is anything to go by I'm not expecting a lot

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

drrockso20 posted:

OSR as a movement is still chugging along despite various highs and lows

Alien Rope Burn posted:

GenCon looks to be chugging ahead with a lot of perfectly respectable supplements and expansions for existing games.

TG as an Industry: Everything is chugging.

I'm laughing that Invisible Sun is 'high profile', our standards are so low in this industry. Hey, did you hear? The guy whose standout traits include 'adequate at marketing', and 'usually completes his projects' is making another mediocre game, and this one costs even more than D&D.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm slowly working my way through all the various 4E retroclones and derivatives I'm interested in playing.

Cool, which ones are noteworthy?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Harmony Gold is pretty cooperative with their licensees, I only heard largely positive things from one of the Palladium Robotech writers in working with them. That is, of course, completely divorced from issues like spurious lawsuits, copyright trolling, and alleged money laundering, but they seemingly aren't that hard to work with if you're handing them money.

I'm almost done with a Macross Frontier and Delta viewing. You should hate them even more for keeping those shows from the US market. On the plus side, Funimation has Star Blazers 2202 dubbed and subbed, and it's good !

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Zurui posted:

I took a look at the rules for Ryuutama and I like...about half of it. The journey rules are great and the dragon stuff is cool but the character and combat rules are kind of an uninspired D&D-alike. You basically pick a Job which gives you noncombat bonuses and then a Class (Fighter/Rogue/Wizard).

Yeah, this was my take as well.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Can you really call 4e-likes "retroclones"? It's been less than 4 years since 5th came out.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I think a lot of it is Sentinels of the Multiverse not having a big draw as a setting outside of devotees of the board game. I've got pretty mixed feelings about Marvel Heroic as well, I like some of the structural stuff with how it handles scenes and plots probably better than the system itself.

The preview game art looked... like Sentinels of the Multiverse looks.

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I wasn't able to try them but there was a 2ft tall cardboard battle-mode Macross game piece that looked rad as hell.

Yeah, that was a neat gimmick. The game itself didn't grab me per se, though, I'm not as big into coop games and it seemed really fiddly, with a bunch of meters and decks to track.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
What makes 4e better than 5e? I have only ever played the later (got into this hobby loving late) but I've been having fun with 5 thus far.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Josef bugman posted:

What makes 4e better than 5e? I have only ever played the later (got into this hobby loving late) but I've been having fun with 5 thus far.

4e was designed with a purpose and game-style in mind, that being to base around the late 3rd edition idea that dungeons were a series of combat encounter setpieces that fitted into a given adventuring "day", consisting of 4/5 combats. It's mostly very good at doing that; there are a few weird maths moments and the skill challenge system is a bit of a mess without using one of the revisions, but it's the closest that D&D's come to being a good board game in and of itself (OTOH, this comparison puts it in comparison with actual board games, where it might be less flattering).

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Josef bugman posted:

It is a competently designed, well-balanced, clearly-presented (with good, consistent keywording and layout) evolution of the D&D "formula" that focuses on the things you're meant to use D&D for (class-based characters with customisation options engaging in party-based tactical combat with a side of non-combat mechanics), one which makes a real effort to make every character option equally worth picking and to give every character equal means to participate in the game.

Also, the 4E designers didn't take a bunch of known fascist and queer-phobic harassers as "consultants" and then forward emails from their victims on to them when people spoke up about the harassment, unlike 5e.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 23, 2018

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Also, the 4E designers didn't take a bunch of known fascist and queer-phobic harassers as "consultants" and then forward emails from their victims on to them when people spoke up about the harassment, unlike 5e.

wow 👍👍👍👍👍👍👍 good and cool 👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍 real good normal people gaming 👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

spectralent posted:

4e was designed with a purpose and game-style in mind, that being to base around the late 3rd edition idea that dungeons were a series of combat encounter setpieces that fitted into a given adventuring "day", consisting of 4/5 combats. It's mostly very good at doing that; there are a few weird maths moments and the skill challenge system is a bit of a mess without using one of the revisions, but it's the closest that D&D's come to being a good board game in and of itself (OTOH, this comparison puts it in comparison with actual board games, where it might be less flattering).

Honestly 4e, within the realm of "you control a single powerful unit and battle with your friends against a DM-type figure" board games, is still probably some of the best game design you'll find. It's only recently that those board games have started to become more than random dice fests, often with such fun trappings as making spellcaster archetypes with significantly more options than their sword-wielding counterparts. Gloomhaven is the obvious stand-out example here, and even that had the creator cite D&D 4e as a direct inspiration for his game.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

inklesspen posted:

Cool, which ones are noteworthy?

When I said slowly I meant it; I've only had a chance to run Strike! and (if it counts) Shadow of the Demon Lord so far.

Strike! is very easy to prep for, runs very fast, and I like the combat well enough. Unfortunately I'm not really a fan of how it handles any of the non-combat aspects of the game. There's a little too much FATE in its DNA for my tastes and the "absolutely everything is modular and optional," means that all the GM work you saved on encounter design now has to go in to basically building a game from the pieces.

Shadow of the Demon Lord is by one of the lead designers on 4E and plays sort of like a "greatest hits" of 2E, 3E, and 4E with some Warhammer Fantasy RP on the side. It's stretching the definition of "4E clone" quite a bit to call it one, but I'm really enjoying it so far. I do wish it gave everyone powers like 4E instead of using Vancian spellcasting, but it's the most sensible implementation of Vancian spellcasting I've ever seen.

Gamma World 7E is built on a 4E framework but with vastly streamlined character creation, very disposable characters, and no "adventuring day" to speak of -- a 5-minute rest restores all your powers and hit points. While understanding that it's necessary for by-the-book 4E, I've never especially liked the attrition-based model of combat difficulty, so I'm really looking forward to giving this a shot.

I'm interested in running Valor, if it ever gets bookmarks in the PDF so that I can reference it. :argh:
It has you build 4E-style powers from modular bits which sounds incredibly cool if also like it could be a balance nightmare.

As I mentioned, I'm keeping an eye on Let Thrones Beware, although the last time I read the rules was a whole bunch of beta releases ago. My brief impression was that it seemed pretty closely married to its setting, which I think is a good quality in an RPG in the abstract, but in this case didn't do much for me.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

4E is the Final Fantasy Tactics to regular Final Fantasy.

Lemon-Lime posted:

It is a competently designed, well-balanced, clearly-presented (with good, consistent keywording and layout) evolution of the D&D "formula" that focuses on the things you're meant to use D&D for (class-based characters with customisation options engaging in party-based tactical combat with a side of non-combat mechanics), one which makes a real effort to make every character option equally worth picking and to give every character equal means to participate in the game.
I'm trying to get a local group together and part or all of this is going straight in the ad

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Gamma World 7E is built on a 4E framework but with vastly streamlined character creation, very disposable characters, and no "adventuring day" to speak of -- a 5-minute rest restores all your powers and hit points. While understanding that it's necessary for by-the-book 4E, I've never especially liked the attrition-based model of combat difficulty, so I'm really looking forward to giving this a shot..

It's so good. Specifically the fact that you just reset after fights means you don't have to structure your encounters to keep the players safe, you can just throw hard encounters at them every time, no problem. Plus character creation is simplified enough that rolling up a new character is nearly instant, so players aren't as worried about dying. In fact, death can be great because your next character could be something even crazier. It might be my favorite RPG ever published. Sure when it was published it had an irritating CCG element tacked on, but now that you can buy those cards for 20 bucks from DTRPG, it's basically perfect.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Lurdiak posted:

So that stupid son of a bitch RPGpundit is reportedly trying to start what can only be called D&D gamergate.

Isn't he listed in the Special Thanks section of 5e? I just love slow-boil comeuppance. :allears:

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Father Wendigo posted:

Isn't he listed in the Special Thanks section of 5e? I just love slow-boil comeuppance. :allears:

what?

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Mearls and company credited Pundit and Zak S. in the Special Thanks column of D&D 5e to try and curry grog favor. It's good to see it's finally biting them in the rear end.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Countblanc posted:

Honestly 4e, within the realm of "you control a single powerful unit and battle with your friends against a DM-type figure" board games, is still probably some of the best game design you'll find. It's only recently that those board games have started to become more than random dice fests, often with such fun trappings as making spellcaster archetypes with significantly more options than their sword-wielding counterparts. Gloomhaven is the obvious stand-out example here, and even that had the creator cite D&D 4e as a direct inspiration for his game.

Yeah; the trouble is you have gloomhaven and direct imitators now which all kinda park their tanks directly on 4e's lawn. 4e was good but was hella janky in a lot of places that aren't even written down anymore since Wizards nuked their board.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

When I said slowly I meant it; I've only had a chance to run Strike! and (if it counts) Shadow of the Demon Lord so far.

Strike! is very easy to prep for, runs very fast, and I like the combat well enough. Unfortunately I'm not really a fan of how it handles any of the non-combat aspects of the game. There's a little too much FATE in its DNA for my tastes and the "absolutely everything is modular and optional," means that all the GM work you saved on encounter design now has to go in to basically building a game from the pieces.

You're hitting on some things I found. I definitely like that it does away with gear/progression treadmills though.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Steer away thread!!!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

On this subject: I got my BLACK CUBE last week, and we did an unboxing last night. Is this sort of thing acceptable to post in Fatal & Friends? I'm going to be doing a writeup of the game as soon as I've read it all, but I feel like understanding this huge crap-pile requires seeing all the drat components. (There are... many components. Some of them have clear gameplay applications. Most of them are eldritch mysteries.)

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

4E is the Final Fantasy Tactics to regular Final Fantasy.

I'm not sure I completely agree with this, but it would explain why I make bad decisions about playing old versions of FF.

Antivehicular posted:

On this subject: I got my BLACK CUBE last week, and we did an unboxing last night. Is this sort of thing acceptable to post in Fatal & Friends? I'm going to be doing a writeup of the game as soon as I've read it all, but I feel like understanding this huge crap-pile requires seeing all the drat components. (There are... many components. Some of them have clear gameplay applications. Most of them are eldritch mysteries.)

:justpost:

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Shadow of the Demon Lord is by one of the lead designers on 4E and plays sort of like a "greatest hits" of 2E, 3E, and 4E with some Warhammer Fantasy RP on the side. It's stretching the definition of "4E clone" quite a bit to call it one, but I'm really enjoying it so far. I do wish it gave everyone powers like 4E instead of using Vancian spellcasting, but it's the most sensible implementation of Vancian spellcasting I've ever seen.

Gamma World 7E is built on a 4E framework but with vastly streamlined character creation, very disposable characters, and no "adventuring day" to speak of -- a 5-minute rest restores all your powers and hit points. While understanding that it's necessary for by-the-book 4E, I've never especially liked the attrition-based model of combat difficulty, so I'm really looking forward to giving this a shot.

I'm interested in running Valor, if it ever gets bookmarks in the PDF so that I can reference it. :argh:
It has you build 4E-style powers from modular bits which sounds incredibly cool if also like it could be a balance nightmare.

As I mentioned, I'm keeping an eye on Let Thrones Beware, although the last time I read the rules was a whole bunch of beta releases ago. My brief impression was that it seemed pretty closely married to its setting, which I think is a good quality in an RPG in the abstract, but in this case didn't do much for me.

you don't understand what a 4e clone or vancian spellcasting is.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Elfgames posted:

you don't understand what a 4e clone or vancian spellcasting is.

:wrong:

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I just want a nice crunchy game with build variety that isn't also made by the worst dregs of game designing.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

SunAndSpring posted:

I just want a nice crunchy game with build variety that isn't also made by the worst dregs of game designing.
Definitely 4e then, despite warts.

I hope Unity is out for public release soon. It's lighter than 4e but very similar design ethos.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Unity sounds interesting but I definitely want to see it played before I make up my mind.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

SunAndSpring posted:

Shadow of the Demon Lord basically fits this the best

Mush Man
Jun 25, 2010

Nintendo announces Frolf means Frog Golf.
Oven Wrangler
About five-ish years ago, I remember a goon posting a podcast episode where a woman talked about the drama in the tabletop community. I can remember some random details, like how some dude's character dying in a cross-community campaign got him pity-laid (lmao), and that the episode number was in the twenties I think. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The old 4e character builder program is still out there with fan-added material from after they dropped support, and mods including a major rebalance that I've been using in my 4e games. (and further moddable for custom races and such, even classes potentially but that'd require a fuckload more effort than we can be bothered with) It's got some pretty heavy and good technical support if you know where to look that actually tends to improve the game compared to other editions. (though it can become a bit of a pain to run a game against an optimised party)

And it figures that 5e tripling down on appeasing only the whiniest grogs would come back to bite them in the rear end. A good reason to run 4e is that all the most obnoxious people in the hobby steer clear of it.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Splicer posted:

Something I don't quite get is why FATE point style narrative points don't seem to be seeing much traction outside explicitly FATE derived stuff. Especially as a balancing factor between exotics and mundanes in D&D-alikes and superhero games.

For all we mock the 'Disassociated mechanics' crowd (and with good reason) there is a strong advantage to familiarity in mechanics. Also half of RPGs derive from challenge based play rather than storytelling and plot points can make things feel too easy especially if the GM doesn't keep the Fate Point economy tight.

quote:

Excited to hear more about it, please link when done!

Here you go

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

5e is also just mechanically not a very good game, TBH.

I hear good things about SotDL but 13th Age also gets an endorsement from me. It's got a lot of the best elements of 4e combat-wise but has stronger narrative-driving powers for times you're not in combat.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I feel like I would love SotDL if they had chosen like literally any other tone or art style for that game

As it is I can't bring myself to do anything with it

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

neonchameleon posted:

For all we mock the 'Disassociated mechanics' crowd (and with good reason) there is a strong advantage to familiarity in mechanics. Also half of RPGs derive from challenge based play rather than storytelling and plot points can make things feel too easy especially if the GM doesn't keep the Fate Point economy tight.
I'm not even talking the full FATE compel experience, just something like "You get 10 Luck points per session, less if you're a Wizard. Spend them for rerolls and stuff". You could graft that straight on to 5e.

e: ditch attunenement slots and replace it with attunement eating into your luck points. Now you can actually start trying to balance low and high magic campaigns in the same system.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 24, 2018

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I'd say 5e is okay, after playing it twice.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

I feel like I would love SotDL if they had chosen like literally any other tone or art style for that game

As it is I can't bring myself to do anything with it

FWIW the author is aware that the WFRP-ish poopmaggot stuff doesn't float everyone's boat, and is apparently working on an alternate, more traditionally heroic setting book.

That said, it's not that hard to ignore insanity and corruption rules and just not include the poopmaggots.

Reene posted:

I hear good things about SotDL but 13th Age also gets an endorsement from me. It's got a lot of the best elements of 4e combat-wise but has stronger narrative-driving powers for times you're not in combat.

The big problem with 13th Age is that the class design really sucks, which is a shame since the core system is pretty solid. :(

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lemon-Lime posted:

FWIW the author is aware that the WFRP-ish poopmaggot stuff doesn't float everyone's boat, and is apparently working on an alternate, more traditionally heroic setting book.

That said, it's not that hard to ignore insanity and corruption rules and just not include the poopmaggots.

Serf is working on a cleanup too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I really cannot agree that 13th Age combat stacks up to 4e unless you play a select few classes.