Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
3-1 with Naya Ladies Night from above tonight, which was good enough for 1st place because I was 6-0 in games the first 3 rounds so that left me with a better record than the person who beat me, with some weird breakers.

edit: since we're on a new page, I will repost. I for some reason could not find my fourth Voice, so I ran a finks in that spot and it was fine. Also my Fiery Justices are from Ice Age which is super :metal:

R1 was against some doran treefolk deck, so not much to say there except that Blood Moon is a hilarious answer to a board of big treefolk getting buffed by the number of forests in play.

R2 was against abzan value; he had to pick up Arlin and read both sides, that's a lot of text! G1 he discarded and killed some things, but I just kept drawing and playing things, late blood moon made his mana awful. I cast Inferno Titan, he sort of looks at it and says "yes that is a card, no I can't deal with it" and dies. G2 he landed an early bob but I managed to go blood moon / RiP; he was able to decay the moon a turn or two later, but I'd killed bob by then and ultimately he died with 3 cards that were hosed by RiP in hand, and my heirarchs making my goyfs better.

R3 storm. I have very little maindeck interaction, so just tried to play guys as quick as possible, expecting to lose, but I think he stumbled a little in his cantripping, so ultimately he's sort of forced to go for it on t4, gets an awkward run of cards and Gifts with very little mana left; I make the correct choice and bin both of the rituals he's found, and he runs out of gas and kills part of my board. I put him to 1 on the crack back, and he doesn't kill me. G2 I keep a hand that has RiP and bolt, manage to rip another bolt and kill a couple early Barals, land RiP then land blood moon when he only has 1 real island out. Then basically flood out on mana dorks and not do much, as he tries to piece together a hand that can get around RiP. I am swinging with birds and 3 heirarch triggers for a while. Again he tries to go for it before he's really got it, and I notice he's got no blue up after gifts, so I bin the manamorphose he found, and he can't do much. Notably here I neglect to board out any goyfs when I bring in 2 RiP and this feels real bad when I have 3 of them for a while, until Nissa starts making them big again and it's fine.

I am feeling very good at this point, I haven't been 6-0 in games in a long time.

R4 merfolk. G1 he mulls to 5 and I get a fast start, but, too many dorks and too little action and I get my face stomped. G2 I land a choke which feels irrelevant to a board of 2 vial and a mutavault, but a few turns later he's got 2 tapped islands and the choke is keeping the vault dormant. Fiery Justice does some 2-and-3-for-1 action here, and I eventually build a stupid board full of walkers and win. G3 he gets a fast start, I can't keep up, and I lost pretty quickly (maybe turn 5/6?)

Overall I like the deck a lot, it's a nice change of pace from all these grindy control decks I've been playing, and it feels less all-in than other Ponza builds.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jun 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I like how literal the art on the ice age fuery justice is, 0 thought went into it but it still looks cool.

Jock Seppuku
Apr 16, 2008
Tonight I got to cast Pit Fight, targeting my Phyrexian Obliterator and my opponent's Cranial Plating'ed Vault Skirge. That felt really good.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Have you suited one up with a Batterskull? I got to do that against Bogles once, and it was great. I could keep attacking because vigilance. He could attack because it had trample, so if I blocked he didn't have to assign full damage, but couldn't block himself or he'd be dealing more damage than he had permanents. His guy was like a 12/12 so he couldn't win that race since I was gaining 9 a turn and he couldn't find something to get lifelink fast enough.

Glad to see someone else playing with Rexie though :black101:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
anyone else just drinking beer and watching vegas today? and grinding xmage, I guess

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Have you suited one up with a Batterskull? I got to do that against Bogles once, and it was great.[/timg]

What is this, amateur hour? Try stealing your opponent's Obliterator with Vedalken Shackles then putting your Batterskull on it :smuggo:

Tim Raines IRL posted:

anyone else just drinking beer and watching vegas today? and grinding xmage, I guess

I'm at work playing Arkham Horror and kinda watching it a little.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I don't know if I've ever watched Magic live. I probably should if only to study a little bit, I don't play often enough to get really good.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Double-post because I sketched out this Bw Zombies list on Friday and it's been in the back of my mind ever since-
Deck: Bw Zombies

//Lands
3 Concealed Courtyard
3 Godless Shrine
4 Marsh Flats
1 Mutavault
1 Plains
10 Swamp

//Spells
3 Fatal Push
3 Path to Exile
2 Smuggler's Copter
4 Thoughtseize

//Creatures
1 Cemetery Reaper
4 Cryptbreaker
3 Death Baron
4 Gravecrawler
4 Lord of the Accursed
3 Relentless Dead
3 Tidehollow Sculler
4 Wayward Servant

//Sideboard
2 Blessed Alliance
2 Celestial Purge
3 Damping Sphere
2 Liliana, the Last Hope
3 Nihil Spellbomb
3 Stony Silence

Display deck statistics

I feel like there might be something there but I really wish it had a two-mana lord and/or a lord that granted some sort of constant evasion a la Merfolk, but as it is it just seems a turn too slow. Maybe tuning this list into more of a midrange deck might be better, leaning more into the recursive and incremental effects found here. Any thoughts?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

C-Euro posted:

Double-post because I sketched out this Bw Zombies list on Friday and it's been in the back of my mind ever since-
Deck: Bw Zombies

//Lands
3 Concealed Courtyard
3 Godless Shrine
4 Marsh Flats
1 Mutavault
1 Plains
10 Swamp

//Spells
3 Fatal Push
3 Path to Exile
2 Smuggler's Copter
4 Thoughtseize

//Creatures
1 Cemetery Reaper
4 Cryptbreaker
3 Death Baron
4 Gravecrawler
4 Lord of the Accursed
3 Relentless Dead
3 Tidehollow Sculler
4 Wayward Servant

//Sideboard
2 Blessed Alliance
2 Celestial Purge
3 Damping Sphere
2 Liliana, the Last Hope
3 Nihil Spellbomb
3 Stony Silence

Display deck statistics

I feel like there might be something there but I really wish it had a two-mana lord and/or a lord that granted some sort of constant evasion a la Merfolk, but as it is it just seems a turn too slow. Maybe tuning this list into more of a midrange deck might be better, leaning more into the recursive and incremental effects found here. Any thoughts?

metallic mimic is a two mana lord

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Soul Glo posted:

metallic mimic is a two mana lord

The fact that it doesn't buff creatures already in play is a huge downside, one that I'm not sure is outweighed by the fact that those creatures remain buffed once it leaves play. I go back and forth between that and Smuggler's Copter, which at least has some cute interactions with the recursive zombies.

Also Wizards please reprint Zombie Master in Standard so that I can just slam Urborg TOY into this deck and call it a day yes I know having regeneration and landwalk means it'll never be reprinted in Standard.

VV I still have all of the cards in that deck and still haven't bothered to put them all together. Someday!

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jun 18, 2018

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Bant spirits still feels surprisingly good.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Mezzanon posted:

Bant spirits still feels surprisingly good.

there's a guy who routinely crushes my FNM with it

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I am inclined to want to believe this is modern playable.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I am inclined to want to believe this is modern playable.

The two already strong Tezzerets that see a modicum of play are fringe at best, what does tapping out at 5 for either two cards or a token have over them?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Somebody throw me a modern Enduring Ideal or Mono White Echantment Prison list please.

Thanks in advance :D

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Walked posted:

Somebody throw me a modern Enduring Ideal or Mono White Echantment Prison list please.

Not my list but another goon's-
1 Calciform Pools
2 Mistveil Plains
4 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
12 Plains
4 Temple of Triumph
1 Banishing Light
1 Dovescape
4 Enduring Ideal
1 Form of the Dragon
4 Ghostly Prison
2 Greater Auramancy
1 Heliod, God of the Sun
1 Journey to Nowhere
4 Leyline of Sanctity
4 Path to Exile
1 Peace of Mind
1 Phyrexian Unlife
1 Rule of Law
4 Runed Halo
2 Sphere of Safety
4 Stasis Snare
2 Suppression Field
//Sideboard
2 Banishing Light
2 Defense Grid
2 Nevermore
2 Pithing Needle
2 Rest in Peace
2 Stony Silence
3 Story Circle

I briefly ran a GW Enchantress list in Modern, it was the most fun I had playing EDH in years but too mentally taxing to play-
1 Flooded Strand
4 Forest
3 Marsh Flats
1 Mistveil Plains
1 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
4 Plains
1 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple Garden
4 Windswept Heath
4 Arbor Elf
1 Blood Moon
1 Cast Out
1 Courser of Kruphix
3 Eidolon of Blossoms
4 Ghostly Prison
1 Greater Auramancy
1 Heliod, God of the Sun
4 Idyllic Tutor
2 Leyline of Sanctity
1 Nevermore
1 Nyx-Fleece Ram
1 Oblivion Ring
1 Quarantine Field
2 Runed Halo
1 Sandwurm Convergence
1 Sigil of the Empty Throne
2 Sphere of Safety
1 Story Circle
4 Utopia Sprawl
//Sideboard
1 Blind Obedience
1 Choke
1 Gideon's Intervention
1 Greater Auramancy
1 Journey to Nowhere
2 Leyline of Sanctity
1 Nevermore
1 Phyrexian Unlife
2 Rest in Peace
1 Rule of Law
1 Sphere of Safety
1 Stony Silence
1 Story Circle
1 Suppression Field

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Double-post to say that my LGS added Legacy night to its rotation of Friday events a while back, but I just learned that it is :siren:full proxy:siren: Legacy and now I feel obligated to put something together. If money is no object, which Legacy deck strikes the best balance between "doesn't take a ton of practice to learn" and "leads to fun and interesting games"?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
The one with Deathrite Shaman in it.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

Double-post to say that my LGS added Legacy night to its rotation of Friday events a while back, but I just learned that it is :siren:full proxy:siren: Legacy and now I feel obligated to put something together. If money is no object, which Legacy deck strikes the best balance between "doesn't take a ton of practice to learn" and "leads to fun and interesting games"?

Belcher :getin:

Comedy option: High Tide

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Walked posted:

It's not quite mono white, but here's some goon's old "Louisiana State Penitentiary" list I saved.

4 Chalice of the Void

4 Detention Sphere
4 Ghostly Prison
4 Leyline of Sanctity
3 Runed Halo
2 Sigil of the Empty Throne
4 Suppression Field

2 Sphinx's Revelation
1 White Sun's Zenith

3 Glacial Fortress
3 Hallowed Fountain
1 Island
1 Mistveil Plains
2 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
11 Plains
4 Temple of Enlightenment

3 Idyllic Tutor
4 Supreme Verdict

// 15 Sideboard
SB: 3 Rest in Peace
SB: 3 Stony Silence
SB: 1 Oblivion Ring
SB: 3 Porphyry Nodes
SB: 2 Greater Auramancy
SB: 3 Timely Reinforcements

C-Euro posted:

Something with Chains of Mephistopheles in it :unsmigghh:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

C-Euro posted:

Any of the good decks in the format and wrong format, respectively.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Archenteron posted:

Something with Chains of Mephistopheles in it :unsmigghh:

Chains + Anvil of Bogardan best combo :v:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

C-Euro posted:

an Ancient Tomb/Chalice deck

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

C-Euro posted:

Lands is sweet. Complex, but sweet.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

EvilBeard posted:

Lands is sweet. Complex, but sweet.

Eldrazi is easy and linear for legacy. Just play that.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
The Gate

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I think it’s just a matter of time before Stoneforge gets unbanned in Modern and I’m excited for it so I want to start brewing, what are some likely shells that it’ll slot into?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

C-Euro posted:

Solidarity. You just play islands until they swing for lethal, then win in response.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

I made the mistake of playing legacy. That's not happening again.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

suicidesteve posted:

I made the mistake of playing legacy. That's not happening again.

I bought a convertible instead. Come join the freedom.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

EvilBeard posted:

I bought a convertible instead. Come join the freedom.

I left with $3k yesterday for a bunch of junk and 3 UNL duals. I'm pretty close to totally selling out and just paying off most of my student loans.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

suicidesteve posted:

I left with $3k yesterday for a bunch of junk and 3 UNL duals. I'm pretty close to totally selling out and just paying off most of my student loans.

I got $9k cash for my collection. I used it for a huge downpayment on a used Corvette, and I've never looked back. I still keep tabs on the meta a tournaments, but I don't miss having 5 figures in cardboard to play FNMs for $30 credit.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

suicidesteve posted:

I need to offload everything and pay off all my moving debt. I hate having debt.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

TheKingofSprings posted:

I think it’s just a matter of time before Stoneforge gets unbanned in Modern and I’m excited for it so I want to start brewing, what are some likely shells that it’ll slot into?

Taxes probably. A white eldrazi build, I've been eyeballing the no-vial white eldrazi taxes list with 4 SSG and no 1 drops. Various stoneblade decks. If it gets unbanned I'll probably try something with 4 spellstutter sprites, lingering souls, cliques, etc.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

TheKingofSprings posted:

My first inclination would be some sort of GW shell, I like the idea of pairing SFM with mana dorks so that you can get equipment into play and equipped on the same turn, or you can put a SwordOf/Batterskull on a dork late-game and get some utility out of them. Maybe take the GW Company shell and drop Excavator, Azusa, and some number of Tracker and Courser? Or maybe put SFM in a GW Hatebears-y build with Thalia.

My question is whether or not any other equipment besides the SwordsOfs and Batterskull become playable if SFM is legal. I have a hard time seeing that card make a huge impact in a meta where maindecking Abrade is already a defensible deckbuilding choice (but I also think that's why SFM deserves another shot in the first place).

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The bar for equipment to be playable in Modern is honestly pretty absurdly high, so I don’t see non-Swords/Skull hitting that mark. I could potentially see it tutoring for Sword of the Meek or Cranial Plating but that’s about it.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

TheKingofSprings posted:

The bar for equipment to be playable in Modern is honestly pretty absurdly high, so I don’t see non-Swords/Skull hitting that mark. I could potentially see it tutoring for Sword of the Meek or Cranial Plating but that’s about it.

And of course :laffo: at the idea of jitte ever being unbanned

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

I just easy 3/0 6/0d a modern side event. Is Bant Spirits actually good now?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

I just easy 3/0 6/0d a modern side event. Is Bant Spirits actually good now?

It just had a 2 mana lord printed for it and the best spirit in the deck eats the lunch of a lot of other decks so...maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

TheKingofSprings posted:

Swords and skull are fine if they can be supported well. Giving them a steady supply of creatures to attach to that you can protect is what makes it good, I think. The rest of the deck around them has to be decent and not depend entirely on sfm.