Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
What proportion of people with non-google android actually get their bank deets hacked from their phone anyway? Is that some sort of massive problem I hadn't heard about and googles the only safe harbour for phone banking? Or whatever else is so important on your telephone

Surprise Giraffe fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jun 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

School of How posted:

I'm having a problem with my Android phone, maybe someone here can help me. About 3 weeks ago I was visiting my parents and I decided to put my phone into "Do Not Disturb" mode so it wouldn't make loud notification sounds during the middle of the night. The problem ia that even though I have disabled "Do Not Disturb" mode, the phone will still not make notification sounds. It will vibrate when a notification happens, but it will make no sound. I've looked all around the settings screen, but I can't find any setting for notification sound volume. Even when I go to the settings page that lets you choose which sound you want for notifications, it's supposed to demo the sound when you click it it, but when I choose any one, it doesn't make any sound.

Try restarting the device in Safe Mode, then rebooting normally. Happens on the mother-in-law's Moto something or other but that fixes it for a while.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Hey so I got a code from Google Store to share with a friend, 15% off a Pixel 2 or Pixel 2XL:

Promo code: B-IVVD7JGZATNC4XBM2MCDIV1

I get $50 coupon from the store if it's used, too! Not a bad deal. Go ahead and snatch it, whoever wants a Pixel 2.

I think mine is still unused too. Whatever happened to forum code sharing etiquette?

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
my phone has disconnected from my car's Bluetooth a couple of times now since the last update. it also seems to be desyncing(? the titles don't match up or it can't display the title or whatever). the latter has happened before but less regularly than it does now (probably 75% of car trips). real sick of bluetooth

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Ok never mind. Another thing though, what's the best way to fully back up a non-rooted phone? Is it still dicking around with ADB or is there a better solution nowadays? I want to do a factory reset to see if it helps get rid of some issues.

Pat Mustard
Mar 9, 2013
Whenever I start my tablet I get a message saying "optimising apps 1 of 1" and it takes about half an hour to start. It's only been happening the past few weeks and I've tried removing apps I've installed recently but it hasn't worked. Googling suggests that this is caused by either Zedge or true caller, apps I don't have. Please help me Something Awful Android thread.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I think mine is still unused too. Whatever happened to forum code sharing etiquette?

If it makes you feel any better, I almost used it for a P2XL but decided against it for the P3XL.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Taken

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 23, 2018

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

mobby_6kl posted:

Ok never mind. Another thing though, what's the best way to fully back up a non-rooted phone? Is it still dicking around with ADB or is there a better solution nowadays? I want to do a factory reset to see if it helps get rid of some issues.

Helium has worked for me. It's not as nice as Titanium Backup was, but it's reasonably automated and so far has grabbed everything I cared about the few times I've used it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Desk Lamp posted:

They're the only ones even remotely competitive with Apple. Google themselves can't even manage to show up on the radar, same goes for every OEM relying on them.

Regardless, that isn't my point, I don't own Samsung stock and I'm not here to defend their business. I enjoy Samsung's enhancements to Android, I prefer their software experience to Google's and I hope they continue heading in the direction that Good Lock indicates they're going in.

This is short-sighted, head-in-the sand poo poo.

Like, I agree that Samsung has some nice additions to Android.

The problem is that they come at too high of a cost if you value reliability, security, and consistency.

If you want to make that tradeoff on your personal device, that's your prerogative, but to not surround every mention of Samsung with :siren: is irresponsible.

This also isn't a claim that Google or whoever is not or has no vulnerabilities or instances where they've architect-ed themselves into a corner, but Samsung has demonstrably and objectively worse software engineering practices.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Surprise Giraffe posted:

What proportion of people with non-google android actually get their bank deets hacked from their phone anyway? Is that some sort of massive problem I hadn't heard about and googles the only safe harbour for phone banking? Or whatever else is so important on your telephone

That's not exactly how software security works.

There's a constant race between good guys and bad guys to find exploits.

No one knows what exploits the bad guys are using, you only know that the good guys have found X exploits and that means there are Y exploits unknown by the good guys.

What exploits are usually used for is to inject ads into your phone. Best way to make money off an exploit.

Generally speaking bad guys don't steal your money because that's too obvious and will lead to their exploits being discovered and possibly fixed.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Well poo poo, may as well join the spam club:

Promo code: B-E95UX92J29HA7C0NIDN5SQ0

Gimmie fifty bucks, goons!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Used

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jun 24, 2018

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I may be taking a new job where they use G-suite instead of an email and calendar platform that requires a proprietary app that won’t allow any system notifications, so I’m really itching to order a Pixel 2.

I tried to give a Pixel a shot last year but the hoops I had to jump through to use it as my work phone were unbearable, so I ditched it after a few weeks.

Really excited to try it again with an all gmail experience.

Hopefully I get the job :ohdear:

Lord give me strength to not order it before actually knowing if I got the job

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Jealous Cow posted:

I may be taking a new job where they use G-suite instead of an email and calendar platform that requires a proprietary app that won’t allow any system notifications, so I’m really itching to order a Pixel 2.

I tried to give a Pixel a shot last year but the hoops I had to jump through to use it as my work phone were unbearable, so I ditched it after a few weeks.

Really excited to try it again with an all gmail experience.

Hopefully I get the job :ohdear:

Lord give me strength to not order it before actually knowing if I got the job

What are the hoops? I can't see any situation where using Nine for an email client wouldn't be all that it would take, especially since it silos your data, so an Exchange admin can't wipe your entire device, just that one app.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Jerk McJerkface posted:

What are the hoops? I can't see any situation where using Nine for an email client wouldn't be all that it would take, especially since it silos your data, so an Exchange admin can't wipe your entire device, just that one app.

My company wrote its own android app for email and calendar. It’s horrible, doesn’t support notifications, and boots you to a login web page every 24 hours that requires you to be on a VPN that another app launches.

They have an exchange connector that allows iPhone to use native email and calendar, bur will not authenticate Android due to security concerns. They don’t want to do any device management for Android.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Jealous Cow posted:

My company wrote its own android app for email and calendar. It’s horrible, doesn’t support notifications, and boots you to a login web page every 24 hours that requires you to be on a VPN that another app launches.

They have an exchange connector that allows iPhone to use native email and calendar, bur will not authenticate Android due to security concerns. They don’t want to do any device management for Android.

lol that company

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Thermopyle posted:

This is short-sighted, head-in-the sand poo poo.

Like, I agree that Samsung has some nice additions to Android.

The problem is that they come at too high of a cost if you value reliability, security, and consistency.

If you want to make that tradeoff on your personal device, that's your prerogative, but to not surround every mention of Samsung with :siren: is irresponsible.

This also isn't a claim that Google or whoever is not or has no vulnerabilities or instances where they've architect-ed themselves into a corner, but Samsung has demonstrably and objectively worse software engineering practices.

My phone is reliable, secure, and consistent, this tradeoff you insist I'm making is just not there. Surrounding every mention of a Samsung device with sirens would be irrational.

Anyways, I just wanted to give the thread a heads up that Good Lock updated and is pretty neat, I didn't mean to kickoff the thread's quarterly Samsung hate jamboree.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Thermopyle posted:

lol that company

Frighteningly, its in the top 50 of the Fortune 500

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Desk Lamp posted:

Anyways, I just wanted to give the thread a heads up that Good Lock updated and is pretty neat, I didn't mean to kickoff the thread's quarterly Samsung hate jamboree.

Since my work phone is an S7, I'm interested in this Good Lock thing. Is it only available on newer Samsungs? I can't find anything in the settings, and the only thing on the store is a lockscreen app.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Yeah as an Exchange Admin incredibly dumb. You might as well just tell your Android users to just use OWA in their browser and not bother developing the poo poo app in the first place.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Bandire posted:

Yeah as an Exchange Admin incredibly dumb. You might as well just tell your Android users to just use OWA in their browser and not bother developing the poo poo app in the first place.

This except win32 users as well

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Jealous Cow posted:

This absolutely sounds like some bullshit an agile cultist would do, just rush some janky piece of garbage and then never actually fix it

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

hooah posted:

Since my work phone is an S7, I'm interested in this Good Lock thing. Is it only available on newer Samsungs? I can't find anything in the settings, and the only thing on the store is a lockscreen app.

If your phone is on Oreo Good Lock should be available on the Galaxy App store. I don't know if it works on Nougat or earlier devices, I know there were workarounds for the Marshmallow version to get it working on older devices but I don't know if that is the case this time around.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

FAUXTON posted:

This absolutely sounds like some bullshit an agile cultist would do, just rush some janky piece of garbage and then never actually fix it

I think the real explanation is how many employees we have in India and China who may be using sketchy phones, combined with bad development practices and no budget.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
If anyone wants to dump their Pixel code and get that sweet $50, there's a Slickdeals thread for them:

https://slickdeals.net/f/11724739-google-store-pixel-2-15-off-code?v=1&page=5

They are going pretty quick in there.

Severedseven
Jun 6, 2007

Heavy and light
My mom is looking to upgrade from a galaxy s5 sport but doesn't want to spend much more than $180-200. I'm not exactly sure what is out there that would even be a noticeable upgrade in that price range. She's in the US on sprint.

I was looking at the Moto G6 Play but is there anything else out there at that price range that's better?

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Anyone know if there's a way to adjust depth of field effect on pixel 2's camera? In really bright conditions it should be able to take photos that get both close foreground and background in focus, right? I'm sure I've had phones able to e.g. take a photo of a pint on a pub table and get the background scenery in focus. Disclaimer: I don't know how cell phone cameras work.

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Severedseven posted:

My mom is looking to upgrade from a galaxy s5 sport but doesn't want to spend much more than $180-200. I'm not exactly sure what is out there that would even be a noticeable upgrade in that price range. She's in the US on sprint.

I was looking at the Moto G6 Play but is there anything else out there at that price range that's better?

Sprint uses CDMA which limits your choice, unfortunately there isn't anything much better in that price range.

El Grillo posted:

Anyone know if there's a way to adjust depth of field effect on pixel 2's camera? In really bright conditions it should be able to take photos that get both close foreground and background in focus, right? I'm sure I've had phones able to e.g. take a photo of a pint on a pub table and get the background scenery in focus. Disclaimer: I don't know how cell phone cameras work.

Is it focusing on the subject in the foreground and blurring the background? If so, it sounds like portrait mode is enabled. Swipe from the left edge of the screen in the camera app and see if it is turned on.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Severedseven posted:

Honestly? An iPhone SE. 32GB models should be in that range. There really isn't much in the Android world at that price point that isn't a compromise in a number of ways.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

sleepwalkers posted:

Honestly? An iPhone SE. 32GB models should be in that range. There really isn't much in the Android world at that price point that isn't a compromise in a number of ways.

My parents both have iPhone SE’s and love them.

Severedseven
Jun 6, 2007

Heavy and light

sleepwalkers posted:

I'll look into them, but my parents had bad experiences with iPhones a few gen's back and warranted or not seem pretty averse to the brand. It looks like the SE only has 2 gigs of RAM is that less of a problem with iPhones? I was under the impression that less than 3 was pretty bad for phones.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Severedseven posted:

I'll look into them, but my parents had bad experiences with iPhones a few gen's back and warranted or not seem pretty averse to the brand. It looks like the SE only has 2 gigs of RAM is that less of a problem with iPhones? I was under the impression that less than 3 was pretty bad for phones.

2 gigs of ram is just fine for iOS devices.

The iPhone SE is a iPhone 6s with a smaller screen. It’s wonderful.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

What's the next step after clearing the cache and reinstalling an app won't fix it? The Hue app on my wife's Pixel 2 doesn't start, like not even to the splash screen. It works fine on my Pixel 2, both of us with the same version of the app and Android. Would rebooting in safe mode allow me to see if any other apps are interfering?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

ratbert90 posted:

My parents both have iPhone SE’s and love them.

Yeah this is my work phone and it's good. Bad for video/games/reading but a solid phone

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Desk Lamp posted:

My phone is reliable, secure, and consistent, this tradeoff you insist I'm making is just not there. Surrounding every mention of a Samsung device with sirens would be irrational.

Ok, so... The point I'm making isn't something simplistic like if they introduce Yet Another Customization Y then Security Vulnerability X will be introduced. Because it's not that type of argument, you feeling like your phone is reliable, secure, and consistent has little bearing on my argument. (I'm assuming you haven't the resources to do a deep audit of the OS and hardware or a study of the population of phones like yours.) (Actually, I'm not sure that audit or study is perfectly relevant either)

Feel free to skip the following wall of text if you don't care about software engineering.

Reliability, security, and consistency come from minimizing bugs.

Unfortunately, all software has bugs unless its so simple that a single developer can keep the whole thing in their mind, then it might not have bugs. (Software this simple is basic poo poo like "Hello World")

The absolute best we can do is minimize the quantity and type of bugs. We do this by applying design practices refined over the past half century. Applying these design practices consistently across teams consisting of dozens, hundreds, or thousands of engineers is possibly the biggest challenge in software engineering today (right behind naming things). There are organizations that excel at this practice (relatively speaking...we humans are still objectively terrible at it), there are organizations that do ok at it, there are organizations that know they have a problem and don't know what to do about it, and there are organizations that don't even know its a problem.

I'm not going to say which type of organization Samsung is, because the general gist of this post holds no matter which type of organization they are. If they're an excellent one or a poor one, the results are still there. It's just a matter of degree.

Because this process is so hard, one of the key things leading to increased bug counts is when you involve other developers not part of the organizations practices for managing software complexity. Plugins, extensions, additional layers, hooks...all of these ways to add functionality by other developers are guaranteed to introduce new bugs.

The other thing about bugs is that you don't know about them until they rear their head. Many bugs can live in your code and never be encountered...or they can be encountered all the time, but no one realizes its a bug. Bugs that lead to security vulnerabilities are particularly pernicious because anyone who discovers one has incentives to keep it a secret.

Another thing about bugs is that since all software has bugs, you often can't really tell when one piece of software is worse than another piece of software as an end user. I mean, are you really going to notice that your phone crashes 12 times a year instead of some other hypothetical phone that you don't even own crashing 8 times? That wouldn't even be useful to notice anyway. You'd have to know how often, for example, all S9's crashed vs, for example, all Pixel XLs. The end user is often not in the position to know jack.

A company, when it modifies Android or layers on top of Android is without a doubt adding bugs. It's a law of software engineering. More code means more bugs. If your organization is one of those excellent organizations I mention above, you're adding fewer bugs. If your organization is on the other end of the spectrum and doesn't even understand this general problem...well, you're adding more bugs than the organization on the other end.

Not only does more code mean more bugs, but modified code often means more bugs...and particularly so if you're not the organization that originated the code you're modifying. Even putting aside the relative quality of your engineering practices, your practices will not be the same as the original organization.

So, the problem isn't that Samsung is making your particular device particularly worse on this particular dimension. It's that Samsung, in general, is adding more bugs. It's a law of nature that this is the case.

You won't know about it until you know about it, just like people with exploding phones thought their phones were reliable...until they weren't.

Of course, I don't expect anyone to actually change their phone buying practices because of this. People don't really care about security...thus the reason computing is in the state its in. I am as guilty of this as anyone. Knowing all of this and wanting to put its lessons into practice, I should be using an iPhone.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 24, 2018

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

That's great stuff.

Thermopyle posted:

I am as guilty of this as anyone. Knowing all of this and wanting to put its lessons into practice, I should be using an iPhone.

Honestly I've thought about going over to iOS just because of their gently caress the Police stance which I unequivocally support but a well thought out security model would be a nice side benefit.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Thermopyle posted:

Of course, I don't expect anyone to actually change their phone buying practices because of this. People don't really care about security...thus the reason computing is in the state its in. I am as guilty of this as anyone. Knowing all of this and wanting to put its lessons into practice, I should be using an iPhone.

I'm just as guilty as well, I love my pixel, but iPhone's security lockdown is great.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Samsung Knox is actually the most secure option but costs a fortune for enterprises and there's like a dozen users.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

LastInLine posted:

That's great stuff.

Honestly I've thought about going over to iOS just because of their gently caress the Police stance which I unequivocally support but a well thought out security model would be a nice side benefit.

The fact that they aren't scraping every single bit of data about you is a nice feeling.