Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I did not enjoy the Zora Egg collection quest in Majora's Mask at all, particularly as I've only found one bottle and had to do repeated round trips to grab the eggs from various places. Thank gently caress that's over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Finally got back around to loving with Doom and:

There is no map

No flashlight

You can't see

Also, I hadn't played it in a while so of course I now need a 52gb "update" for whatever reason. Now I can't progress past level 3 because it says "content still pending install". I already installed the already massive game. Their solution? Delete the whole thing and reinstall it. That's real cool because I love waiting another 45 minutes to play the game I bought.

Autoupdates can get hosed. Half the time they break whatever it is you're updating (Videogame, phone, etc.). If the thing is working just as I like, leave it alone and spare me the "updates" please. Drives me batshit.

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax

BiggerBoat posted:

I already installed the already massive game. Their solution? Delete the whole thing and reinstall it. That's real cool

This is something endemic to the idtech engine, something to do with the megatextures I think.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

BiggerBoat posted:

There is no map

No flashlight

You can't see

Also, I hadn't played it in a while so of course I now need a 52gb "update" for whatever reason. Now I can't progress past level 3 because it says "content still pending install". I already installed the already massive game. Their solution? Delete the whole thing and reinstall it. That's real cool because I love waiting another 45 minutes to play the game I bought.

Autoupdates can get hosed. Half the time they break whatever it is you're updating (Videogame, phone, etc.). If the thing is working just as I like, leave it alone and spare me the "updates" please. Drives me batshit.

There is a map, a very detailed one, even. Also not having a flashlight is a bonus, considering Doom 3 and I don't recall any particular dark places you have to go.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Yeah, Doom 2016 is often considered to have one of the best maps in modern games!

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
And what good would a flashlight do? It's not like the enemies are sneaky or hard to see.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

BiggerBoat posted:

There is no map

No flashlight

You can't see

Are you this guy?

https://steamcommunity.com/app/379720/discussions/0/357286663684200562/

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Samuringa posted:

There is a map, a very detailed one, even. Also not having a flashlight is a bonus, considering Doom 3 and I don't recall any particular dark places you have to go.

Yea, didn't see any places where you couldn't see everything that was going on.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Is your brightness set way too low? I don't remember Doom being a dark game at any point.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Veotax posted:

Is your brightness set way too low? I don't remember Doom being a dark game at any point.

I remember it being kinda eyeball-burning bright in a couple places.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

BiggerBoat posted:

There is no map

No flashlight

You can't see

Turn on your monitor.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Warframe

Guess who just found out one of the resources (Argon Crystals) decays over time? What a terrible goddamn addition to the game.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
I apologize to all the people I convinced to get into Waframe from my PYF posts because I bailed out as soon as I began browsing the dedicated thread and saw how deep that rabbit hole went

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

So Danganronpa is the most anime thing I've played but the biggest problem so far is a lack of bear puns.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Samuringa posted:

RyokoTK posted:

Turn on your monitor.

OK I deserve this.

Turns out I was playing level 3 but the game was STILL installing the update over an hour later. If you do that, the game will be crazy dark, apparently, and also lock you out of levels til it's done. Still beat that level so gently caress you Doom.

Still hosed up that some update i never wanted takes over a loving hour to install but I deserve all the ridicule I got.

edit: aaaannnnd there's the loving map. Turns out I just suck at dooming.

It's me. I'm the thing dragging this game down.

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 17:23 on Jun 24, 2018

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I want to like the Yakuza series but after trying a couple of them I just can't do it. There are a lot of fun parts where you're running around doing crazy poo poo or fighting a billion people at once but then there are an equal number of bits where it is just two characters sitting there talking about real estate deals in the most boring manner imaginable.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Len posted:

So Danganronpa is the most anime thing I've played but the biggest problem so far is a lack of bear puns.

you must be very early

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

voltcatfish posted:

you must be very early

Just started chapter 2s deadly life. But I'm comparing it to Persona 4

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Fallout: New Vegas: I knew the hitboxes in this game were bad. Then my bullets were somehow blocked by a barbed-wire fence. Like, not by the fenceposts or even the wires themselves, just the empty space between the wires. This is a level beyond just bad. :psyduck:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

StandardVC10 posted:

Fallout: New Vegas: I knew the hitboxes in this game were bad. Then my bullets were somehow blocked by a barbed-wire fence. Like, not by the fenceposts or even the wires themselves, just the empty space between the wires. This is a level beyond just bad. :psyduck:

A lot of games still do this. In Planetside 2 I've had an annoying amount of kill shots blocked by invisible walls between railings. Or even above railings.

And on the flipside I've been shot in the head a ridiculous amount of times while ducking behind the deploy-able shield by people on level ground and even people lower then me.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

BiggerBoat posted:

It's me. I'm the thing dragging this game down.

PYF thing dragging this game down: It’s me. I’m the thing dragging this game down.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Dewgy posted:

PYF thing dragging this game down: It’s me. I’m the thing dragging this game down.

:emptyquote:

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
I appreciate this is partly due to me being a bit bad anyway, but Black Ops 3 is bewildering in competitive multiplayer. I'm being instantly gunned down by all sorts of pimped out submachine guns, blown up by women who seem to have an infinitely supplied grenade launcher, and murdered by a sentient machine with a chain cannon for an arm.

Being eased in at a slightly slower speed would have been nice.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Samuringa posted:

I apologize to all the people I convinced to get into Waframe from my PYF posts because I bailed out as soon as I began browsing the dedicated thread and saw how deep that rabbit hole went

At this point I'm convinced Warframe is the platonic ideal of "this game is the best game ever if you ignore this laundry list of acknowledged flaws and have someone powerlevel you to the fun parts and get gifted some starter items and throw them $5 for the entry level paid perks and ignore all the bad mission types and only use the good weapons and have time to grind out the slow parts and :words:"

StandardVC10 posted:

Weird clipping issues are incredibly common in almost every shooter in some way or another of a certain age and probably a fair few modern ones. I'm still caught off guard when I can shoot through a wire fence in any game.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

John Murdoch posted:

Weird clipping issues are incredibly common in almost every shooter in some way or another of a certain age and probably a fair few modern ones. I'm still caught off guard when I can shoot through a wire fence in any game.

For several months, PUBG had a few one-way chain link fences. As in, you could shoot through them from one side.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
If I'm not mistaken, they failed to update every single fence asset at first as well, so there were still 1-2 specific fences that acted like that while the rest were fixed.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Replaying Mass Effect 2:

Why do they play Vigil, a hopeful somber piece from the first game, in the middle of a juvenile argument with Ashley/Kaiden?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV1pPgpcAVw

Half the classes use only two guns: a pistol and an SMG. You'll probably use the same dinky SMG for 90 percent of the game if you hold off doing Tali and Kasumi's missions.

The part where your class gets an extra weapon type comes out of nowhere. You're having a conversation inside an alien-ship and you just randomly pick up a weapon out of a pile of guns without comment.

You have to play on PC if you want to avoid tedium: Get unlimited fuel, infinite resources, replace the long-loading screens with short ones etc. The game is incredibly buggy and you'll have to reload at least six times because you got irreversibly stuck in the geometry.

At no point do you encounter a Cerberus project that didn't end in disaster, rendering the organization looking inept.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 23:17 on Jun 24, 2018

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Until the sequel, at which point they can man armies strong enough to rival a combined effort from the rest of the galaxy.

3 was so dumb.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

It's really crazy how hard and how badly they retooled Cerberus for 2 on.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
I don't want to be a dick, but if you're playing a Mass Effect game and your class doesn't use a Sniper Rifle, you picked the wrong class.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I find Sniper Rifles seldom useful when I'm using my space magic to fly across the battle field to punch someone in the face.

I mean maybe for those dicks on distant ledges where the game won't let you charge.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

John Murdoch posted:

At this point I'm convinced Warframe is the platonic ideal of "this game is the best game ever if you ignore this laundry list of acknowledged flaws and have someone powerlevel you to the fun parts and get gifted some starter items and throw them $5 for the entry level paid perks and ignore all the bad mission types and only use the good weapons and have time to grind out the slow parts and :words:"

Nah, Warframe's a really fun third person shooter you can easily play for free until the point where you're staring down an endless of abyss of getting all the things, making your Number Go Up and throwing items at new players.

And also ignore archwing and defection missions.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Gitro posted:

Nah, Warframe's a really fun third person shooter you can easily play for free until the point where you're staring down an endless of abyss of getting all the things, making your Number Go Up and throwing items at new players.

And also ignore archwing and defection missions.

Also it's a game where the bosses suck. No exception.

It's weird because like, originally all of the bosses were just dude. And you'd blitz through a stage and there'd be this guy who was a kind of bigger version of a regular guy. And all four of your dudes would just dive on this poor bastard and destroy him instantly. Some people complained that it was boring and lame, sure. But it was hilarious and kind of fun. It made grinding not awful.

Then they redesigned all of the bosses. Now every boss has cinematics and long rear end invincibility frames. They're all still piss-easy and die almost instantly, but you spend more time waiting to be able to do damage to them, than you do being able to do damage to them. It's also exceptionally weird that they chose an online game of all things to pin the focus for boss strategies on "his weak point is a very tiny, selectively vulnerable part of his body". There's like three bosses that are invincible except for tiny points you had to shoot during brief moments of vulnerability and if you're lagging, or if the game's just being a dick you can spend ages just trying to hit that one tiny spot.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Safeword posted:

Until the sequel, at which point they can man armies strong enough to rival a combined effort from the rest of the galaxy.

3 was so dumb.

Cerberus was brainwashing and experimenting on refugees in 3. You straight up go to one of their "refugee centers" and see this. That is where their new army came from.

Also Cerberus was all being Indoctrinated by the Reaper-tech they were studying (and then using in the cybernetic enhancements), which explains the change in the organization's mindset.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Samuringa posted:

I don't want to be a dick, but if you're playing a Mass Effect game and your class doesn't use a Sniper Rifle, you picked the wrong class.

If playing a Vanguard in 3 is wrong I don't want to be right.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
the lowest point of warframe for me was having to hear GONNA PULL THIS OCEAN ON US and NOOO YOUR DEATH WILL BE...PAINFUL all for equinox, which is a very good warframe. oh no..oh please dont tell me the eventual equinox prime will need all three prime parts for each form PLUS prime day and night aspect..please, no, i refuse to do that

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

spit on my clit posted:

the lowest point of warframe for me was having to hear GONNA PULL THIS OCEAN ON US and NOOO YOUR DEATH WILL BE...PAINFUL all for equinox, which is a very good warframe. oh no..oh please dont tell me the eventual equinox prime will need all three prime parts for each form PLUS prime day and night aspect..please, no, i refuse to do that

It'll probably just need three times the relic farming of any other prime in the game :shepface: hope you like grinding to grind so you can grind your grind!

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Nuebot posted:

Also it's a game where the bosses suck. No exception.

It's weird because like, originally all of the bosses were just dude. And you'd blitz through a stage and there'd be this guy who was a kind of bigger version of a regular guy. And all four of your dudes would just dive on this poor bastard and destroy him instantly. Some people complained that it was boring and lame, sure. But it was hilarious and kind of fun. It made grinding not awful.

Yeah, there's still a handful of bosses that are just bigger dudes to shoot and they're far and away the most fun because you just rock up, unload on them and bail in five seconds or less. There's one or two you can one cycle if you have enough burst during their vulnerability time, but not enough.

spit on my clit posted:

40 loving runs, and the worst part is that's probably a statistically normal amount of time to spend.

Still better than trinity, which requires you to farm tokens that only drop on specific maps on a specific planet from a miniboss that spawns every 3-5 minutes at best, in lots of 2-10. You need 40 to fight the boss, which refunds you twenty on completion. The boss isn't hard and doesn't technically have iframes, but you have to do 3 waves of it, with a mandatory 90 second gap between each wave. The boss drops in like 3 seconds and then you shoot lovely adds for a while. Repeat.

Warframe is a lot of fun most of the time, but the low points are low (and mostly avoidable, at least).

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The Warframe thread title used to be “why do I have 1000 hours in this terrible game”, which is pretty accurate. They’ve improved a lot, but there’s still stuff that’s just... why. Why, warframe, do you want to hurt me so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Replaying Mass Effect 2:

Why do they play Vigil, a hopeful somber piece from the first game, in the middle of a juvenile argument with Ashley/Kaiden?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV1pPgpcAVw

I forgot about this. It is weird. I guess it's Bioware's hamfisted "Hey remember that person from the first game? Okay cool here's the main menu music to REALLY get you in the mood."

Also Vanguard + Geth shotgun or bust.