Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Don't know how reliable it is.

https://tombcartoonmonkeyskeleton.blogspot.com/2018/06/work-around-town-3.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
From what I understand, Marvel Animation was starting to go down some time ago, and everything that was being produced (Avengers S4, GotG S3 and Spider-man S2) would all finish properly before calling it quits. I guess we'll know for sure next month if any new project gets announced.

I'm really enjoying the current Spider-man show (but it was a weak AF way to start S2) but I really, really enjoy how often people are coming out saying that Ultimate Spider-man is better, when that show began with unlimited internet rage thrown at it. It's always neat to see that it's just dumb nerds on the internet throwing hate, and that every show has its growing fanbase.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Anytime something is torn to shreds on the internet but continues to press on, eventually there will be a point where people burn out on hating it. What I think happens is that the only people left talking about a show tend to be the people that liked it. I mean there was a time when you couldn't speak about Star Wars movies without people taking shots at the prequels, but now whenever someone brings up the prequels it is almost always in a positive light it seems, or at least way the hell more positive than it was when the movies were still newish. So I am sure in a few years there will be a poo poo ton of people online talking about how great USM was and how much they miss it. Granted, some of these people were probably not really old enough to be engaging in debates about the show online back when it was on in this case. I mean, that show started like what, 5 years ago?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Hate can be an exhausting experience. I don't know how some people can find it in them to keep getting worked up constantly.

It's been a while since I've watched the current crop of superhero cartoons. None of them really grab me, their aesthetics are kinda dull, and I've really disliked the dynamic that comics have shifted towards lately where superheroes all consort exclusively with other superheroes, so making Spiderman into the Avengers has no appeal to me.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

USM was, to me, bad writing. The animation was....flat but decent, I guess? But the writing was just really forced jokes and people were upset because it began after Marvel and Disney were forced to cancel Spectacular Spider-Man. Since tons of people said they loved SSM, that show was fresh in their minds when USM began. To them, Marvel had their chance to make a great show in-house separate from Sony's influence...but, unlike their take on Spider-Man in the MCU, they ruined it by making him a Deadpool-lite so much so that the Deadpool episode made jokes that Spider-Man stole from DP and they needed to take Deadpool himself in another direction.

That being said, Marvel's Spider-Man is a decent show and the writing isn't AS bad...but it certainly can be at times.

I really don't think this is reliable at all, honestly. Like this place doesn't cite their sources or even the always mysterious "our sources say"...it's basically just a list of things without any rhyme or reason.

I would take it with a grain of salt.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Hate can be an exhausting experience. I don't know how some people can find it in them to keep getting worked up constantly.

Yeah I mean... when something is bad I just don't watch/read/play it. I don't understand how anyone has the energy to, for example, make hundreds of videos about why the new star wars are horrible.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I tried to give USM a chance, I'd watch most of the episodes in Season 1 and I think 2...there were definitely some good ones like the episodes where Spider-Man had an adventure with one of his teammates and the teammate had to conquer a fear or insecurity and Spider-Man helped them. I remember the Luke Cage episode with his parents was kind of emotional.

The DP one was one of the series' best episodes and the last few where it's Spider-Verse forever were...okay? Also it gave us Donald Glover as Miles which is 10x better than whoever is playing him now as an idiot...even though Glover just sounded kinda bored.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.

ThermoPhysical posted:

USM was, to me, bad writing. The animation was....flat but decent, I guess?

It feels like it started a really awful trend though of "why bother making backgrounds when we can just take renders/real-life photos of places and put a lovely blur filter over it."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

From what I understand, Marvel Animation was starting to go down some time ago, and everything that was being produced (Avengers S4, GotG S3 and Spider-man S2) would all finish properly before calling it quits. I guess we'll know for sure next month if any new project gets announced.

I'm really enjoying the current Spider-man show (but it was a weak AF way to start S2) but I really, really enjoy how often people are coming out saying that Ultimate Spider-man is better, when that show began with unlimited internet rage thrown at it. It's always neat to see that it's just dumb nerds on the internet throwing hate, and that every show has its growing fanbase.

At least part of the reason people hated the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon is because they cancelled the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon to make it, and that was probably the the best animated version of Spider-Man ever,like BTAS quality.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Skwirl posted:

At least part of the reason people hated the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon is because they cancelled the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon to make it, and that was probably the the best animated version of Spider-Man ever,like BTAS quality.

No they didnt, man.

Sony willingly gave up tv rights for spidey, after about a year from not producing new eps from its initial 26 episode order and dumping the second season to a new network.

Disney was never going to use its newfound rights to pay Sony to revive a dead cartoon when they could just make a show they owned instead.

EMH was cancelled to make AA, tho.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

According to Weisman, Sony was given a choice between movie rights or TV, they chose movies. Disney wouldn't allow Marvel to continue the show so they cancelled it.

Weisman still refuses to give plot info for unreleased episodes because he thinks they'll probably pick it back up one day, I guess.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

Weisman still refuses to give plot info for unreleased episodes because he thinks they'll probably pick it back up one day, I guess.

I'd call that stupid but then again Weisman got his Young Justice S3 years after cancellation so stranger things have happened.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

TwoPair posted:

I'd call that stupid but then again Weisman got his Young Justice S3 years after cancellation so stranger things have happened.

It was all part of the plan... :stare:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

TwoPair posted:

Yes and Stranger Things had a better plot than the terrible, overly long time-jumpy plot of Young Justice S2. I'm glad it happened. :v:

In all seriousness though, that time jump was awful and we'll probably get another one since S3 has new costumes, new heroes, and we'll get no explanation for anything until 20 episodes in.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yes and Stranger Things had a better plot than the terrible, overly long time-jumpy plot of Young Justice S2. I'm glad it happened. :v:

In all seriousness though, that time jump was awful and we'll probably get another one since S3 has new costumes, new heroes, and we'll get no explanation for anything until 20 episodes in.

Oh definitely. Of course there's no way I'll be shelling out for DC's streaming service just to see if it's somehow better.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm just bitter about Spectacular Spider-Man being cancelled since it's probably the best Marvel cartoon ever.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Skwirl posted:

I'm just bitter about Spectacular Spider-Man being cancelled since it's probably the best Marvel cartoon ever.

I am not mad about that, cause it was screwed over by timing and rights issues and there was nothing that could be done to continue it. Avengers EMH however was super hosed over and everyone was right to be pissed about that.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am not mad about that, cause it was screwed over by timing and rights issues and there was nothing that could be done to continue it. Avengers EMH however was super hosed over and everyone was right to be pissed about that.

What hurts the most about EMH dying was that they killed it in favor of something that was more in line with the movies only to deviate completely from the movies by the second season, thus defeating the purpose. With where things ended up, they could have just changed people's costumes in EMH and called it a day.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ToastyPotato posted:

What hurts the most about EMH dying was that they killed it in favor of something that was more in line with the movies only to deviate completely from the movies by the second season, thus defeating the purpose. With where things ended up, they could have just changed people's costumes in EMH and called it a day.

But kids are too dumb to follow story arcs! :downs:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

But kids are too dumb to follow story arcs! :downs:

That too. Which is hilarious because they quickly began doing story arcs on AA as well.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

ToastyPotato posted:

Second season? Try first episode.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Man the TMNT CG series is legit creepy with the body horror and violent and the Kraang are gross as hell

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Calaveron posted:

Man the TMNT CG series is legit creepy with the body horror and violent and the Kraang are gross as hell

Yeah, it's weird when contrasted with the kid-friendly tone of the characters.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
There's absolutely no loving way the quality of the animation of the actual show is even close to this, but this is still cool

https://twitter.com/TMNT/status/1011640411264339970

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I like it

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Is that the one where the initial character descriptions basically swapped Leo and Ralph's traditional roles?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

They're really iterating new series fast these days, aren't they? The last turtle show's not even a year gone, and they've got the new model ready. I feel like all the superhero shows keep getting replaced by new ones before I know what the current one is as well. Really cranking them out there.

That's some intro though. Even if it might be execs pushing for further IP utilization, they've got some people who care about what they're doing working on things.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
To be fair, an animated TMNT show has never run less than like 5 seasons. The last one started in like 2011, the one before than was in '03 and ran until '09 and the 80s show ran for 10-ish seasons. It's not like they're cancelling these things without giving them a chance.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
And turtles shows always get weird in the last seasons, but in a good way

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
There's the weird situation with the '03 show where they had a whole season in the can, the network told them to scrap it, retool the show and set it in the future, and then told them to scrap THAT and just do more modern day NYC stories.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Calaveron posted:

And turtles shows always get weird in the last seasons, but in a good way

And the comics are ALWAYS weird as hell(for example the Archie series had a giant flying cow head as a major recurring character)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

And the comics are ALWAYS weird as hell(for example the Archie series had a giant flying cow head as a major recurring character)

Yeah and they participated in an intergalactic wrestling federation and they all got new suits. Raph kept his, an all black gimpsuit, for a long time

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Calaveron posted:

Yeah and they participated in an intergalactic wrestling federation and they all got new suits. Raph kept his, an all black gimpsuit, for a long time

And you can imagine how confusing this was to a small child who hopped in after half of this stuff was established. :psyduck: I also remember creepy "grey" style aliens from the issues I had. I have a couple of TPBs but I'm missing volume 3 which of course is the volume that contains the issues I owned as a kid.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Calaveron posted:

Raphael did at least have a good reason to keep his though, he pointed out it was good for stealth purposes, with Splinter showing approval for that kind of thinking(the Archie series was pretty good at depicting Splinter in his role as teacher)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The IDW books have an equal amount of ninja stuff, alien/interdimensional sci-fi and the turtles being the pawns of ancient gods. (One of whom is the Pied Piper and another got it's rear end kicked by the Ghostbusters)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm not too stoked about the new show's aesthetic and stated intentions but whatever, I'm not the target audience, and the last show was great so I can just rewatch that if I don't like this one.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Oh, the most recent Marvel's Spider-Man episode had Lady Ock and Doc Ock's "I'M SECRETLY EVIL HAHAHAHAHA" plan finally was revealed.

It took like...three episodes to finish that story arc, but I do like how they're kind of slowly building on Brock getting the symbiote. He hasn't had a speaking role yet, but he's always around in the background of the Bugle and Jameson is constantly saying how better Peter is at getting pictures of Spider-Man than he ever was which he gets pissed about.

...which is a really terrible motive for wanting to kill him when he gets the symbiote later this season (thanks to the trailer for season 2, it's very obvious) but...eh. It's better than "EVERYONE INCLUDING HULK AND ALL OF THE GUARDIANS ARE SYMBIOTES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" from Ultimate Spider-Man.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Oh, the most recent Marvel's Spider-Man episode had Lady Ock and Doc Ock's "I'M SECRETLY EVIL HAHAHAHAHA" plan finally was revealed.

It took like...three episodes to finish that story arc, but I do like how they're kind of slowly building on Brock getting the symbiote. He hasn't had a speaking role yet, but he's always around in the background of the Bugle and Jameson is constantly saying how better Peter is at getting pictures of Spider-Man than he ever was which he gets pissed about.

...which is a really terrible motive for wanting to kill him when he gets the symbiote later this season (thanks to the trailer for season 2, it's very obvious) but...eh. It's better than "EVERYONE INCLUDING HULK AND ALL OF THE GUARDIANS ARE SYMBIOTES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" from Ultimate Spider-Man.

Nothing will ever beat Spectacular Spider-Man in regards to how the Parker/Brock blood feud was ignited. In that cartoon Brock had every right to be pissed at Peter/Spider-Man and it made it way more interesting.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

X-O posted:

Nothing will ever beat Spectacular Spider-Man in regards to how the Parker/Brock blood feud was ignited. In that cartoon Brock had every right to be pissed at Peter/Spider-Man and it made it way more interesting.

That is very true but I don't think it's possible for Marvel to be that detailed anymore. Did EMH even have that level of build-up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

X-O posted:

I always liked in the comics how weak his motivation was. It made him seem scarier since he was a deluded maniac who'd written a story in his head where he's the hero and Spider-man's the villain, even though he kills people.