Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

gvibes posted:

A judge said that he has never seen an attorney work through source code with an expert like I did. Take that nerds.

Meanwhile I get called a magician for just showing olds how to set up dual monitors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

gvibes posted:

A judge said that he has never seen an attorney work through source code with an expert like I did. Take that nerds.

I did an extensive voir dire on horde vs alliance. Confused defense counsel into using a preempt. I was going to cut him anyway. >:)

blarzgh posted:

Meanwhile I get called a magician for just showing olds how to set up dual monitors.

Show them PowerPoint animations for showing travel paths on maps. They will think you are a powerful wizard from the future.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ActusRhesus posted:

That’s horse poo poo. Also. VA job offices IMO are useless. Jobs for unskilled labor for the guys that get out after one tour. Nothing for skilled tradesmen (sr enlisted) nothing for mid career management (junior officers) loads of SES jobs for senior officers who a. Have a pension that’s a liveable wage and b. Should have enough of a network to not need a job office.

It’s something I’ve been trying to get changed among my other veterans pet projects.

This is through vocrehab since that's how I paid for my school and they're giving me a two month stipend while I'm job hunting. I have to show them I'm actually applying places to get said stipend. They farm out job hunting services to an actual career center, but you are right they mostly work with no-skill jobs. There are a few legal postings in their system, but most of them are identical to posts in the state system or in others.

I'm not going to pretend like I'm a perfect candidate. I was middle of my class and my legal experience is the year and a half I've been volunteering at a pro-bono clinic. I mostly just sit back and laugh at how absurd it all is that I'm going through all of this for a sub 50k/yr job. I had assumed when I decided to sell my truck that it wouldn't be more than a month or two and I would hear back at least about a dull state job. :lol:

I'm about fed up with it and just gonna get some money coming in to pay the bills while I sort out whether or not I'm going to end up actually practicing law or going back to school for something else. Just gonna spend today celebrating instead of anything too stressful, though.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 22, 2018

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Get the taco truck back, you dumbass. You were living the dream!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ActusRhesus posted:

Get the taco truck back, you dumbass. You were living the dream!

If the taco truck made me more money without having to do things that were destroying my body, I would have gladly kept running it. As it was, the majority of my money came from drunk college kids three nights a week, and I was tired of wrecking myself to barely scrape by while also dealing with such an exhausting customer base. The FSU frat ban back last fall kneecapped me hard, and the sudden and unexpected drop in revenue I had as a direct result of that event put me in a tight spot. Had I kept the truck, I would still be behind on some bills today and just barely getting out of the hole that put me in last year.

I want something semi-stable at least if I'm going to be killing myself for it. I spent far too much on that truck to keep it afloat for four years. I never got close to breaking even, and it was never really my passion. I still get calls/emails about catering requests, though. I also drink for free basically anytime I want at a few college bars, but I'm 34 now and a bit too old for that kind of crowd.

E: And I'm not completely hopeless. There are future job openings out there that I can probably fill via networking I've done, but man just trying to apply and get an entry level lawyer job is ridiculous.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jun 22, 2018

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Counterpoint. Tacos. 🌮

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

There are future job openings out there that I can probably fill via networking I've done, but man just trying to apply and get an entry level lawyer job is ridiculous.

Keep grinding, it'll happen for you. Try to do things you haven't thought of before. Spend some time brainstorming. Invite attorneys you've met or would like to meet out to lunch. Maybe, for tacos?

Edit: There are several attorneys in this very thread who've hung out their own shingle, either while waiting for a firm gig or just because its what they decided to do, who have made legitimate practices out of their book, and maybe just throwing a firm website up, and making some business cards will be the kickstart you need? There is plenty of drat good advice from them to go around here.

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 22, 2018

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
That's possible, but I won't have my bar card until september. I'm mostly just venting and bored. This thread is arguably one of the best resources I've had.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
I went to the protest for the shooting death of a black kid here where the cop was sworn in literally just an hour before the shooting. Easiest “insufficient training” 1983 case ever.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Toona the Cat posted:

I went to the protest for the shooting death of a black kid here where the cop was sworn in literally just an hour before the shooting. Easiest “insufficient training” 1983 case ever.

All I saw was the video of two kids running away from pitt police and getting shot in the back. What happened?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

OK which one of you is this?

"Divorcing Chronically Unemployed JD-Holding Spouse"

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/8t0p3v/xpost_divorcing_chronically_unemployed_jdholding/

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Vox Nihili posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/8t0p3v/xpost_divorcing_chronically_unemployed_jdholding/

My second ex-wife in 3-4 years.

Mr. Nice! posted:

All I saw was the video of two kids running away from pitt police and getting shot in the back. What happened?

Technically it’s East Pittsburgh which is a small borough about 10 miles east of Pittsburgh. And that’s really it. The kid was in a jitney with a friend. The car matched one from a drive-by. The cop-for-an-hour pulled it over, kids ran, cop shot him in the back. Absolutely disgusting.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Those spoiled millionaires need to stand up for are troops, though.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

We all know who it is.

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.

Toona the Cat posted:

Easiest “insufficient training” 1983 case ever.

As someone who spent the last little while opposing summary judgment against a Monell failure to train claim, all i have to say is "if only."

Unamuno fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 22, 2018

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 13, 2021

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Discendo Vox posted:

I...are you serious?

Pro tip: even if it's you, this is a good situation to lie

I think after 'ex-wife' there's supposed to be a comma?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

I...are you serious?

Pro tip: even if it's you, this is a good situation to lie

It's not him, he hasn't been out long enough.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 13, 2021

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

ActusRhesus posted:

We all know who it is.

honestly i got a bit nervous clicking the link

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

ActusRhesus posted:

I did an extensive voir dire on horde vs alliance. Confused defense counsel into using a preempt. I was going to cut him anyway. >:)

So I'm deeply curious -- which one is pro-prosecution?

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

ActusRhesus posted:

Show them PowerPoint animations for showing travel paths on maps. They will think you are a powerful wizard from the future.

That's awesome now I'm going to go to law school

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Alaemon posted:

Lol if you don't automatically know the horde is a lawless terrorist organization.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

Roger_Mudd posted:

Lol if you don't automatically know the horde is a lawless terrorist organization.

Hey, I work for the court. I don't actually care if someone is Alliance or Horde, so long as they show up for jury duty.

(It's been a while since I read Batson, but since it prohibits use of peremptory challenges for race-based reasons, it could probably be extended to excluding orcs, etc.)

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
Well, got an AUSA interview for the civil division. I actually don’t know anyone in the civil division, so any thoughts on interview questions to ask and why to emphasize would be appreciated. I had a whole bunch of stuff planned if I got a criminal interview, but I’m not really sure how much the points I planned to highlight for a criminal division spot apply.

Like, does the emphasis on trial experience really matter as much? I have no idea how often civil division lawyers go to trial.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Omerta posted:

Well, got an AUSA interview for the civil division. I actually don’t know anyone in the civil division, so any thoughts on interview questions to ask and why to emphasize would be appreciated. I had a whole bunch of stuff planned if I got a criminal interview, but I’m not really sure how much the points I planned to highlight for a criminal division spot apply.

Like, does the emphasis on trial experience really matter as much? I have no idea how often civil division lawyers go to trial.

Ask them if you can choose which border state you'll get assigned to cover deportation hearings.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I might ask questions about the work environment that you'll be in, the people you'll be working with, and show them that you want to fit in and that you're a cool dude that wants to get along with everybody.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Omerta posted:

yeeeeeaaaaaaah...

all the sudden AUSA openings that have popped are probably for immigration.... I saw our local office pop and went WOO HOO CLUB FED PAY INCREASE. Then I read between the lines in the description and decided sticking with my state gig was probably the wiser move. Not trying to poo poo on your opportunity here... just be sure it is what you think it is.

Alaemon posted:

Neither. Anyone who didn't bail after Mists of Pandaria shows severe judgment issues.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
For what its worth, fortnite has 10x the active players wow had at its peak. So your voir dire game needs an update

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

blarzgh posted:

I might ask questions about the work environment that you'll be in, the people you'll be working with, and show them that you want to fit in and that you're a cool dude that wants to get along with everybody.

This is good poo poo and will be my new life philosophy.

ActusRhesus posted:

yeeeeeaaaaaaah...

all the sudden AUSA openings that have popped are probably for immigration.... I saw our local office pop and went WOO HOO CLUB FED PAY INCREASE. Then I read between the lines in the description and decided sticking with my state gig was probably the wiser move. Not trying to poo poo on your opportunity here... just be sure it is what you think it is.

Neither. Anyone who didn't bail after Mists of Pandaria shows severe judgment issues.

More likely that I’d send my time making sure student debt isn’t discharged in BK, discrimination claims, and maybe some cool FCA stuff.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Guess who represents ICE agents when they get sued for shooting unarmed minorities/beating up children/crashing into people in their govt issued tauruses

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I hope you like defending the local social security office in a slip and fall

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

I mean... I suppose it's just a coincidence that after all these years of hiring freezes and overreliance on unpaid "special assistant us attorneys" paid gigs are suddenly opening up en masse the same time Trumpy decides to go all gangbusters on immigration....

but I find that unlikely.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I said I didn’t know how often civil AUSAs went to trial. I know what they do.

Fortunately, a guy in the crim division agreed to talk to me before my interview, so that will hopefully stop me from asking stupid questions or emphasizing things that matter more for the crim division.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
If you’re a prosecutor, you have the option to decline to prosecute right? You have the choice of what evidence to present.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Lote posted:

If you’re a prosecutor, you have the option to decline to prosecute right? You have the choice of what evidence to present.

Technically yes - unless your boss disagrees. And yes - unless your boss thinks you didn't choose the right evidence.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Lote posted:

Depends very much on the office. Our office gives a lot of discretion to the individual prosecutors, especially where plea bargains are concerned. And we tend to defer to the judicial branch social workers if they think a person can benefit from an AR or diversionary program.

As for what evidence to present... I mean... yes. Trial strategy. I don't have my both breathing down my neck telling me what witnesses to call etc.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Lote posted:

Depends on whether the case will be in the newspaper.

Gleri
Mar 10, 2009

Abugadu posted:

Depends on whether the case will be in the newspaper.

I've helpfully found that as a prosecutor the public will be against whatever I do whatever it is so it doesn't matter. Every cop is crooked and yet every defendant is guilty and everyone needs to go to jail for longer than they did.

In reality you just have to muddle through and do the best you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Lote posted:

Yeah, once. I've meet that guy.