Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I love all the slower narrative stuff I just wish everything else happened at 2x speed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I love all the slower narrative stuff I just wish everything else happened at 2x speed

Yeah.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As much as I like this game I got to Skellige and then just got tired of it. But I was like, torturing myself by trying to 100% every area before I left so maybe I should try again and just not do that

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i think if i could change three things about The Witcher 3, it would be the hitboxes for things you have to interact with when using witcher senses, the insane HP bump for creatures who are higher level, and the Smugglers Cache's in Witcher Ireland.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Witcher 2 was one of the worst games I ever saw as far as long rear end animations for stupid poo poo.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Wormskull posted:

Witcher 2 was one of the worst games I ever saw as far as long rear end animations for stupid poo poo.

In 3 geralt will take a long rear end time to crouch down and inspect something for investigation and all his attacks are hella overanimated which leaves you vulnerable sometimes

like if he does a light attack he might just swing at the thing or he might spin his sword all the way around his head like hes an orthodox priest and its vespers time

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

i still like the dodging away and jumping in to strike gameplay, but when you notice it it wears

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I'm not going to gently caress anyone. Geralt is a gamer.

I tried to play like this but accidentally stumbled dick-first into the girl from Hearts of Stone anyway

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

The fact that there's no noticeable difference between using a light ("fast") attack and a stronger ("slower") attack is bizarre and borderline criminal. I might just go full magic or something

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

The fact that there's no noticeable difference between using a light ("fast") attack and a stronger ("slower") attack is bizarre and borderline criminal. I might just go full magic or something

eh, i disagree with you there. a strong attack that deals more damage but has a higher window for interrupting the attack for damage is fine, it contributes to combat feeling more deliberate. what slows down combat is overloading hit points for high level enemies and giving them OHKOs, and the weird auto-dance thing that makes you unsure of where you will be positioned.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i do think strong attacks should have slightly more of a risk vs. reward thing OR that combining attacks in a specific way should be hugely beneficial to disabling opponents, but i don't think Strong Attacks as a thing make the game drag.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

fast attacks are way faster than heavy attacks, what lol

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

extremebuff posted:

fast attacks are way faster than heavy attacks, what lol

when's the last time you played the game dude

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

when's the last time you played the game dude

he's extremely right, so much so that the noob way in higher difficulties is to refrain entirely from heavy attacks

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

synthy: I just don't understand the point of cars, there is NO discernible difference between driving and walking

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Some light attacks have animations longer than some heavies do, its a real rear end thing

and a bit random, I don't know if the chains are scripted

lights seem to have more lunges and tracking into range though, heavies keep you in place more.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

like, if anything, one of the the major flaws in Witcher 3 combat (the randomization of your positioning after any attack) makes MORE of a difference between between quick & strong attacks, and you'd really have to be just button mashing not to see the difference. it's not a hard game.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

theres def a momentum where if you keep hitting quick attacks you will become a death whirlwind, if theyre ever as slow as a heavy hit it's rare. strong attacks all have this big slow windup

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

it actually irked me that even though they come out 4x slower than quick attacks theyre only like 25% stronger lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Sharkopath posted:

Some light attacks have animations longer than some heavies do, its a real rear end thing

and a bit random, I don't know if the chains are scripted

lights seem to have more lunges and tracking into range though, heavies keep you in place more.

it's like 1/4 light attacks are slower than 1/4 the strong attacks, and the light animations include an invulnerability period that the heavies don't, though. like if you mash buttons, the heavies as often, they also have that fourth one that involves more of a combat dance. witcher combats tend to be pretty quick when there's level equivalence, and the legit complaints about combat are that you can't control direction directly enough in melee and that sometimes the level difference turns things into an hour slog (although technically the latter problem can be turned off with a single setting in the menu).

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

extremebuff posted:

it actually irked me that even though they come out 4x slower than quick attacks theyre only like 25% stronger lol

yeah. like, as it stands, they're actually good in combos against the weaker enemies like rabid dogs or against things like elementals that are slow enough, but when you actually have to think about surviving, it's mostly fast attacks.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Wow guess I stumbled across an extremely rare Bug that causes all my attacks to feel like I'm in a dream fight covered in molasses

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Wow guess I stumbled across an extremely rare Bug that causes all my attacks to feel like I'm in a dream fight covered in molasses

"All of combat could be speedier" is arguably a thing (i think they move pretty quickly when you're within five levels or so tbh) but "The two different speeds of attacks are exactly the same in this game" is pretty objectively wrong, sorry

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

it's like 1/4 light attacks are slower than 1/4 the strong attacks, and the light animations include an invulnerability period that the heavies don't, though. like if you mash buttons, the heavies as often, they also have that fourth one that involves more of a combat dance. witcher combats tend to be pretty quick when there's level equivalence, and the legit complaints about combat are that you can't control direction directly enough in melee and that sometimes the level difference turns things into an hour slog (although technically the latter problem can be turned off with a single setting in the menu).

I don't give a gently caress what you think a "legit" complaint is, these are mine.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

"All of combat could be speedier" is arguably a thing (i think they move pretty quickly when you're within five levels or so tbh) but "The two different speeds of attacks are exactly the same in this game" is pretty objectively wrong, sorry

Cope.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

to each their own, and if you don't like it, you don't like it, but "the two buttons that do totally different things in combat are literally the same" sounds like

extremebuff posted:

synthy: I just don't understand the point of cars, there is NO discernible difference between driving and walking

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

the 60fps gaming crew is gonna give me the detailed breakdown on how many frames each attack is and how much ram you need to enjoy the game and I'm gonna bust this case wide open

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i guess it sort of matters what difficulty settings you're playing on, which isn't a thing i thought about.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

to each their own, and if you don't like it, you don't like it, but "the two buttons that do totally different things in combat are literally the same" sounds like

Oh word

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How dare you think something different than me about this game you piece of poo poo. PC gaming crew gonna roll up on you

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The combat speeds up a lot if you're good about mixing potions and bombs into the mix. It's genuinely really hard to run out of alcohol after like 5 hours in, the limited numbers are psychological more than anything. Plus the green skill tree is honestly the strongest of the three

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

That sentiment is what was so fail about Witcher 2 to me. Your telling me that to make the combat bearable I have to do the 30 second animation of Witcher kneeling down to look at the leafs he collected every 5 minutes?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Wormskull posted:

That sentiment is what was so fail about Witcher 2 to me. Your telling me that to make the combat bearable I have to do the 30 second animation of Witcher kneeling down to look at the leafs he collected every 5 minutes?

i never played Witcher 2 so idk but I never felt like resting was that bad in 3. It also felt like something genuinely different from most other fantasy RPGs, where there’s always magic/combat skill trees. I prefer the idea of monster hunters being people who are mostly clever and smart with bombs/poisons/etc. to superhumans with swords or straight up wizards

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I just hate the idea of breaking the general flow of a game because you have to go into menus during combat or frequently in between combat, especially when it involves a long animation.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The Witcher 2 was crap from an rear end so I never bothered with this one. Seems I made the right choice.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Wormskull posted:

I just hate the idea of breaking the general flow of a game because you have to go into menus during combat or frequently in between combat, especially when it involves a long animation.

Yeah this is why I largely don't bother with oils. I mean, if I have the right kind and I'm facing a boss I'll use it but by and large I've ignored most of the use items for this reason. Swapping signs is much easier which is why I'm leaning towards magic and even then it's still kind of a pain lol

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

It's cool that items replenish themselves with alcohol tho, every open world game should have an equivalent to that because gently caress crafting

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Yeah this is why I largely don't bother with oils. I mean, if I have the right kind and I'm facing a boss I'll use it but by and large I've ignored most of the use items for this reason. Swapping signs is much easier which is why I'm leaning towards magic and even then it's still kind of a pain lol

I think it's more important the harder you're playing on but normal/right above that seem fine mostly and have a good balance of needing to play a bit smart without being so punishing I need those potion items.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Vampires are mean and tough so I recommend making that one at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Sharkopath posted:

I think it's more important the harder you're playing on but normal/right above that seem fine mostly and have a good balance of needing to play a bit smart without being so punishing I need those potion items.

Well yeah of course but honestly anyone who plays this game on harder difficulties is probably a psycho. It's already annoying as hell in spots and I can't imagine adding inventory management on top of that is any fun whatsoever. I almost want to kick it down to easy so I have even less combat to worry about.

• Locked thread