Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

This thread is a gamble since IDK if I'm going to stick with it, but the old thread is archived now so why not make a new one. I started a new game tonight and some creepypasta poo poo: my last save is from 1 year ago exactly.

Any easy tips for a noob? Any skills useless? Which ones to prioritize? If none of t hat matters or if you can't explain in less than 1 sentence don't bother, cos I won't read why something comes in handy after The Bellacht Knight fight or w/e since I have no frame of reference here Donny. I'm playing on the default difficulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Use the alternate movement in the settings.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Hell I just bought the DLC because it was on sale I guess I'll start a new game too. Quen is definitely the most powerful spell to prioritize, to the point where you may want to stop using it at some point just because it makes combat a joke

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Also potion effects are really strong and once you have the ingredients needed to craft them initially they will restock for free every time you rest so there's no reason to hoard consumables, which is cool. Go wild with them. I never beat the game but everything I've played of it mostly stayed pretty easy , it seems like it's hard to really screw yoyrself over skill-wise

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

goferchan posted:

Also potion effects are really strong and once you have the ingredients needed to craft them initially they will restock for free every time you rest so there's no reason to hoard consumables, which is cool. Go wild with them. I never beat the game but everything I've played of it mostly stayed pretty easy , it seems like it's hard to really screw yoyrself over skill-wise

Hmm, okay, that sounds good. I'm only concerned because leveling seemed super slow and thus easy to potentially gently caress yourself in terms of Skills.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
this intro is extremely verbose

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Invest in the skill that gives you a lot of health when you eat food (forget what it's called). Have fun :cheers:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

it doesnt matter how you build your guy, there are respec options so go with what sounds cool. i personally recommend hard mode so you can't snore through the combat, but if you dont give a poo poo about that part of the game normal's fine. enjoy a great game OP

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I just got to the final act of the first game a couple days ago. Looking forward to II and III.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

gwent has some cool rewards and quests but if you don't like it just drop doing any of it.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Plebian Parasite posted:

gwent has some cool rewards and quests but if you don't like it just drop doing any of it.

I like Gwent and the first items I bought were new Gwent cards because I'm playing my Geralt as a gamer.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I just put points into whatever I thought seemed cool and I never felt like I made a wrong choice. I think it's pretty hard to gently caress up.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Hmm, okay, that sounds good. I'm only concerned because leveling seemed super slow and thus easy to potentially gently caress yourself in terms of Skills.

Leveling from killing monsters is almost nonexistent but quest rewards give big chunks of XP, and yeah, there's an expensive but unlimited way to respec. Really the only ways you can "screw yourself over" is with respect to certain quest outcomes but if you follow your heart and think like a Witcher usually the right thing to do is pretty obvious. Also some of the "bad outcomes" for quests are pretty cool and well thought-out and can lead to their own spin-off bits of story you'd never see otherwise so eventually I just decided to go with god and let it ride whenever I hosed something up

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Probably the most difficult part of the game is deciding who your Best Girl is honestly. There are clear cut right and wrong answers here and I hope you do the right thing

IdealFlaws
Aug 23, 2005
The stat that let's you take no damage when dodging felt pretty essential to me. I didn't bother with gwent, but it's got it's benefits in making some quests easier later on. I regret not having touched gwent

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
does the witcher 3 have collectable cards for all of the milk maids you do sex w/

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

goferchan posted:

once you have the ingredients needed to craft them initially they will restock for free every time you rest so there's no reason to hoard consumables
This is a crazy good mechanic.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

swimsuit posted:

does the witcher 3 have collectable cards for all of the milk maids you do sex w/

No there aren't honestly many people you have sex with compared to the first 2 games

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is a crazy good mechanic.

I'm kind of confused by this. Should I just eat all the bread I have if I need it?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I'm kind of confused by this. Should I just eat all the bread I have if I need it?

if you craft like swallow or bombs or whatever and use them all they’re auto refilled when you rest / meditate by consuming alcohol in your inventory.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

star eater posted:

if you craft like swallow or bombs or whatever and use them all they’re auto refilled when you rest / meditate by consuming alcohol in your inventory.

Oh, thx. Do I need alcohol to meditate? I haven't noticed. Kool av/name BTW.. welcome to the Zone.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Oh, thx. Do I need alcohol to meditate? I haven't noticed. Kool av/name BTW.. welcome to the Zone.

You can meditate whenever but if you have it, one unit of "strong alcohol" (not stuff you drink to restore health, think like ethanol) is automatically consumed when you do to restock all your crafted bombs and potions when you do . I compulsively loot drawers and chests and stuff and always have far far more than I know what to do with, you can basically ignore it and don't have to keep close track of your stock.

But basically restocking 10 different kinds of potions and 10 different kinds of bombs costs the same as just restocking one of each so it's in your best interest to learn all the consumable recipes you have and use them whenever you feel like it, no point in hoarding. Some are just generally functional and some give you very specific edges against certain monsters (which you can usually find out on their bestiary page before you fight them)

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

And none of them are really gonna be necessary for combat playing on normal mode anyway but using them makes things a lot more fun and dynamic. It feels bad rear end to throw a bomb and release a bunch of flammable toxic gas and then cast a fire spell to ignite it and wipe out a big group of enemies

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Star eater is the OP of the IZ Nintendo thread.

keirharder
Jul 22, 2017
With Gwent if you care about getting every gwent card maybe check a no spoiler guide since there are a couple you can miss by playing the story.

Good skill is the the fast attack skill that lets you whirl around by holding the fast attack button.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
its a pretty trivial game. my advice would be to sell all of the books you pick up once youve read them because if you have 400 of them in your inventory it makes it really laggy on ps4. you can also sell most other things too unless theyre rare crafting ingredients with the orange style description tags since theyre expensive to buy

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

You will trip over swords constantly and can sell them for good money, I havent found a reason to hold on to more than the best one

The best skills to have are honestly the red tree sword skills, i like a mix of fast and strong attack ones.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Crafting materials weigh nothing so you can just grab whatever plants you run across and everything a monster drops nobworry.

Most of the junk items arent worth breaking down but anything with silver in it is useful, you always need silver for new swords.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It's a real ez game after the very beginning so I think that's all the advice I can give.

Oh if you do a choice on a quest and something bad happens the other choice probably had bad stuff happen too so dont sweat it. They like that kind of writing.

Also every monster you kill on a witcher contract drops a rare sword if you're looking for one without wanting to craft.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jun 19, 2018

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

there’s about a dozen ways to break the game btwn potions and magic so just pick whatever skills you think look cool and you’ll be fine

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

goferchan posted:

Probably the most difficult part of the game is deciding who your Best Girl is honestly. There are clear cut right and wrong answers here and I hope you do the right thing

This is true, but also extremely wrong. Yennefer is a horrible, thoughtless bitch and you should kick her to the curb as soon as possible because Triss is actually a good person who isn't accidentally ruining the world for no reason.

Sharkopath posted:

The best skills to have are honestly the red tree sword skills, i like a mix of fast and strong attack ones.

The sword and rage skills are all pretty good, yeah. I would also recommend going into the sign magic tree deep enough to at least get the improved shield spell (it lets you absorb free health when enemies hit it, which means you basically never need to worry about HP again) and the improved mind control (because it opens up new conversation paths, which are really the reason you're playing that game anyways.)

IdealFlaws posted:

The stat that let's you take no damage when dodging felt pretty essential to me. I didn't bother with gwent, but it's got it's benefits in making some quests easier later on. I regret not having touched gwent

Yeah that skill is super-good, especially if you aren't good at the game. Swing, swing, dodge is basically how you win most every fight.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
The day and night skill that lets u regen faster is handy if ur playing a difficulty that doesn’t heal you when you rest

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

AbusePuppy posted:

This is true, but also extremely wrong. Yennefer is a horrible, thoughtless bitch and you should kick her to the curb as soon as possible because Triss is actually a good person who isn't accidentally ruining the world for no reason.

hey ... it doesnt matter

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I.N.R.I posted:

hey ... it doesnt matter

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
On top of what everyone else said, be mindful of what your conversation choices are and be ready to live with them. As well as what side objectives you do or don't do. You can influence which of the different endings for the base game you get which I had no idea on when I played it the first time. You can also affect the side chracter's epilogue details based on what you do during the game.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

AbusePuppy posted:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I just got the DLC and I've never played it before.... I know Blood and Wine is endgame but what level can I expect to do the Hearts of Stone quest? I know it's in Novigrad, can I start it as soon as I get there?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

goferchan posted:

I just got the DLC and I've never played it before.... I know Blood and Wine is endgame but what level can I expect to do the Hearts of Stone quest? I know it's in Novigrad, can I start it as soon as I get there?

I think it’s recommend at like level 20? I did it after novigrad but before skellige

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Heart of stone is around level 30-ish I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

goferchan posted:

It recommends you a level in the quest log. I think its 26.

• Locked thread