Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

EvilTaytoMan posted:

And don't forget that village full of idiots that had to have to fight off that supernatural storm on regular intervals because otherwise they'd start fighting eachother.

also their greatest rebellion hero just shot a dude while he was bathing, and they sorta still had to idolize him because apparently there was no one better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
To be more serious, I think the biggest problem is that the Bajorans come off as frustratingly passive. If the Prophets say thing, Bajorans accept thing. Things happen to Bajorans. Bajorans speak in terms of things done to them or prophesied to them.

The Cardassians are active and are making decisions based primarily on what they perceive as the active interests of the empire.

As a result, the consequences of Cardassians actions are more significant. Not really in terms of magnitude, just in terms of being an engaging plot. Cardassians make decisions and experience consequences; Bajorans wait for stuff to happen and then it turns out okay because Sisko did thing.

Gul Dukat took his half-Bajoran daughter in instead of kill her, he chose to do that. When the fake Emissary told Kira she was meant to be an artist, she accepted she'd have to leave the station forever and sculpt birds because someone told her to.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Sisko at Vic's holds together so well when you realize he'd lived the non fantasy version of that period, and also had done the Bell Riots time jaunt, already by that point in the series. He was a dude whose ancestral past had really reached out and touched him in a big way.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I mean also the Bajorans are just so heavily tied to the Prophets poo poo, which is just so, so, so incredibly lovely and bad

Magic orbs and poo poo, it's like a jrpg

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's hard to do something like Bajor right in a series where the scope of the action balloons so quickly, like either it's an incidental backwater leftover from S1 or it's the improbable Mary Sue pivot of history planet. I'm not sure they balanced it super well.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pick posted:

I mean also the Bajorans are just so heavily tied to the Prophets poo poo, which is just so, so, so incredibly lovely and bad

Magic orbs and poo poo, it's like a jrpg

It's also literally the central point of the entire series, Sisko's arc, and the resolution of the war

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

shovelbum posted:

It's also literally the central point of the entire series, Sisko's arc, and the resolution of the war

yeah and it's loving terrible

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Like the dude isn't and never was fully human, he was some human not born of human kind of deal.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

shovelbum posted:

Like the dude isn't and never was fully human, he was some human not born of human kind of deal.

some some of "minbari not born of minbari" you might say

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pick posted:

some some of "minbari not born of minbari" you might say

Yeah I hate that aspect of DS9, they definitely could've played it straight as him getting sucked into the philosophical orbit of these godlike aliens and their reconnection with the mortal races and being torn between Bajor and duty without Ben Sisko's Special Destiny going on.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Like jfc he didn't need to be literally ancestrally Of Bajor via ghost possession sex, where the prophets went to earth and did the nasty in the nonlinear pasty

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

With the worst part being with him being outside of linear time at the end of the finale, he could have come back the second he left but didn't for reasons.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Like in college I studied in Israel and saw a ton of dudes get sucked into the whole thing and go all of Bajor or whatever, it's a weird and compelling tale without supernatural literality

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
The Prophets/Bajorans might have been a little better as a series focus to me if they either balanced the Science/Religion aspect or went more toward the science end of the scale.

As it stands they go full Religion with prophecies, visions, sacred texts, religious orders, chosen saviors, destinies, alien savior sex and all of that when really some giant idiots happened to be nearby some weird incomprehensible aliens living in a wormhole. Some jerks high on jumja sticks and lovely flute music found discarded alien trash and started worshiping it. It's okay because they were actually real gods though.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

EvilTaytoMan posted:

With the worst part being with him being outside of linear time at the end of the finale, he could have come back the second he left but didn't for reasons.

I genuinely think if you got a few beers into Ira Behr and Ron Moore and asked them "so does Sisko actually ever come back" they'd scoff and say "pfffft no, we just threw that line in there so Avery Brooks wouldn't kick our rear end."

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pick posted:

To be more serious, I think the biggest problem is that the Bajorans come off as frustratingly passive. If the Prophets say thing, Bajorans accept thing. Things happen to Bajorans. Bajorans speak in terms of things done to them or prophesied to them.

The Cardassians are active and are making decisions based primarily on what they perceive as the active interests of the empire.

As a result, the consequences of Cardassians actions are more significant. Not really in terms of magnitude, just in terms of being an engaging plot. Cardassians make decisions and experience consequences; Bajorans wait for stuff to happen and then it turns out okay because Sisko did thing.

Gul Dukat took his half-Bajoran daughter in instead of kill her, he chose to do that. When the fake Emissary told Kira she was meant to be an artist, she accepted she'd have to leave the station forever and sculpt birds because someone told her to.

Most people would rather have Kanar with Damar than hang with the Bajoran joyless shits.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

etalian posted:

Most people would rather have Kanar with Damar than hang with the Bajoran joyless shits.

cardassians are 1000000% rad and if i were one o them tng folk who what get un-frozen in the future i would make a beeline to anywhere they were hangin out

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Thing is, it's pretty clearly demonstrated that the Cardassian society is, as mentioned, hilariously dysfunctional, their legal system is literally Kafkaesque, we see a few regime changes throughout the show and Garak implies that isn't a rare occurrence. Their dysfunctionality is just in the name of authoritarianism rather than religion.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Thing is, it's pretty clearly demonstrated that the Cardassian society is, as mentioned, hilariously dysfunctional, their legal system is literally Kafkaesque, we see a few regime changes throughout the show and Garak implies that isn't a rare occurrence. Their dysfunctionality is just in the name of authoritarianism rather than religion.

so what you are telling me, an american alive in the space year 2018, is that i would feel perfectly at home??

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
i mean "begging for a regime change for my hilariously dysfunctional authoritarian society" is not exactly some sort of absurd hypothetical

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Rumour has it Picard could be getting his own show.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The General posted:

Rumour has it Picard could be getting his own show.

I hope it's a sitcom.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
He takes over the vineyard where his entire family burned to death

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Rectal Death Adept posted:

It starts with him putting a gas tank into the reclamator.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Can't wait for Star Trek: Young Picard.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
You think the actor will wear a skullcap, or actually shave his head?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
it's total horseshit that garak isn't in the episode where we find out bashir was born a ding-dong

bashir got to watch garak's dad freakin die, i mean come on

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Strudel Man posted:

You think the actor will wear a skullcap, or actually shave his head?
He will just have hair.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Young Picard had hair. He wasn’t a cue ball until after he killed Wesley’s dad.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I could get behind an Ensign Picard show if they try to do something a bit different with it. Like sure make it lightly sitcommy without the laugh track, just him and his shipmates on the lower decks, talking poo poo about command, being kept out of the loop (yes I really loved the idea of that episode, okay?), getting into scrapes - and out of them - and learning along the way.

Basically give me Star Trek: Scrubs In Space

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
They are talking about bringing Patrick Stewart back, not some weird young Picard prequel.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Pick posted:

it's total horseshit that garak isn't in the episode where we find out bashir was born a ding-dong

bashir got to watch garak's dad freakin die, i mean come on

Aww dammit, dammit, dammit! Why'd you have to go and point that out?

Man, this is almost as bad as finding out they wanted to have Weyoun and Brunt walk past each other but couldn't make it happen.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Man, this is almost as bad as finding out they wanted to have Weyoun and Brunt walk past each other but couldn't make it happen.

I think we can at least be happy in the knowledge that they wanted it too and would've done it if it were feasible.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Bashir's loser parents were underused like Sisko's dad, ordinary people in space are hilarious.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Garak was exactly the right person for character moments in that episode, also he doesn't even get interviewed as a friend of Bashir, but Worf does? it's loving glaring :psyduck:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think the deal is that the medical hologram upgrade is a big important project and Bashir wants to look like the best doctor in Starfleet, and a black ops spy and probably war criminal from a hostile foreign power acting as a tailor isn't really the best reference all things considered compared to a famous Starfleet officer.

There's an ongoing theme with Bashir with literally how he's groomed as a recruit for the Federation's black ops war crimes agency because he's talented at that even beyond his augmented advantages, and consciously rejects it because while he's willing to cross lines to do what he thinks is right, he values his ethics and sure as gently caress doesn't want to make that his literal job. And he has all these friendly arguments with Garak over ideals, ethics, and pragmatism between Federation/human and Cardassian culture, with both of them learning harsh lessons relating to them. (Garak seems to actually come to respect the Federation for being willing to stick to their ideals doggedly)

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jun 24, 2018

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I genuinely think if you got a few beers into Ira Behr and Ron Moore and asked them "so does Sisko actually ever come back" they'd scoff and say "pfffft no, we just threw that line in there so Avery Brooks wouldn't kick our rear end."

I think they implied as much in the 50 year mission. But I'll accept that the Prophets are dicks as an in-universe explanation.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

simplefish posted:

Also in this episode T'pol has a line about Vulcans NEVER attacking first. As if there was more evidence was needed of how bad STD is, how thr gently caress can she say that presumably knowing about the Vulcan Hello?

Technically the Vulcans were peaceful and the Klingons blew up their ship. This happened repeatedly so the Vulcans started killing the Klingons on sight.

So technically they never attacked first. It was a logical response to a number of Klingon attacks.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Bashir's loser parents were underused like Sisko's dad, ordinary people in space are hilarious.

I would say that 90+% of mankind are losers in Star Trek. Well those that are not in starfleet and live in perfect peace.
I am sure they are conditioned to stand around and just watch as someone else cleans up the mess that just happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Wait, what?