Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

LimburgLimbo posted:

It’s Soka Gakkai. A somewhat culty Buddhist sect.

But also holy gently caress check the image compression when you send this poo poo dude. You take this on a garakei or what.

Can't be Soka Gakkai - no Daisaku Ikeda anywhere!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Ned posted:

Can't be Soka Gakkai - no Daisaku Ikeda anywhere!

It's Kenshokai 顕正会

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
What is the best site to book hotels in Tokyo? I'm in Australia and we just had Booking.com cancel our booking on us without letting us know. We're now fighting for a refund of $2400 AUD for an airbnb room when we asked for no airbnb rooms. Lifes good.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Last time, I booked via Agoda.com, didn't have any particular problems with them. (I made a mistake with the booking dates, and they didn't let me change the booking, only cancel and make a new, and I ended up with a worse room, but I think that might be on the hotel not accepting changes to bookings?)

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
I also used Agoda and had no issues

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Thirding Agoda.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
I've also used Agoda for a few of the hotels on my upcoming trip. I used American Express travel for the high end hotels in Tokyo and japanican for a splurge ryokan in Hakone.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
I've used Google Maps and Rakuten to find hotels and book directly through their websites. Better selection than English sites. Although of course you need to factor in that many of these hotel owners don't speak English.

Even then, Google Maps is a great resource because it lists all the prices on various booking sites.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Not sure if it's true anymore, but a few times in the past I found hotels were half price on US sites (expedia, etc.) compared to Japanese sites because Japanese sites tend to charge per person instead of per room.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

I haven't experienced it myself, but I've read some great complaints on reddit from people booking on us sites and then being charged for extra people when they show up. Like they think "oh yeah this half price is probably just a great coupon I found".

Though I did read some some travel sites give foreigner rates so it kind of makes sense...

When shopping for hotels, my biggest question was wtf was with all the rooms with three beds.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Richard M Nixon posted:

When shopping for hotels, my biggest question was wtf was with all the rooms with three beds.

Single-child families?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Man, mistress, prostitute.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Kohai, Sempai, and Bucho.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
If I go straight to an onsen from the airplane, will there be a place to put my bag (carry on bag, not checked luggage size stuff)

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Depends on which, but usually. If not, staff may be able to help you out with it.

Richard M Nixon posted:

I haven't experienced it myself, but I've read some great complaints on reddit from people booking on us sites and then being charged for extra people when they show up. Like they think "oh yeah this half price is probably just a great coupon I found".

What happens is that a lot of folks assume that you are buying out the room, while most hotels in Japan specifically charge by both the number of people and room.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Yawgmoft posted:

If I go straight to an onsen from the airplane, will there be a place to put my bag (carry on bag, not checked luggage size stuff)

Usually they should have something though occasionally they just have a smaller lock box for wallets and the like and a bigger unsecured cubby for clothes. Are you talking a normalish backpack or a big rear end backpackers thing? Either way you should manage, and if you’re unsure a lot of stations have lockers.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

ntan1 posted:

What happens is that a lot of folks assume that you are buying out the room, while most hotels in Japan specifically charge by both the number of people and room.

Oh I agree and it was weird when I first noticed it. I don't doubt that some people that just go to Priceline and book immediately because that's what they always do end up getting shafted every once in a while. There's also probably a group that know full well how bookings work and just think for some reason that they beat the system.

Once I caught on, I knew enough to pause when checking a site like tripadvisor that had a super low rate that was clearly for one person instead of just booking it, showing up, and being all "let me speak to manager-san" when it inevitably caused problems.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

LimburgLimbo posted:

Usually they should have something though occasionally they just have a smaller lock box for wallets and the like and a bigger unsecured cubby for clothes. Are you talking a normalish backpack or a big rear end backpackers thing? Either way you should manage, and if you’re unsure a lot of stations have lockers.

Like 40l pack. I thought about train station lockers but I can literally walk right to the onsen from the airport. Might just find the station I'll use afterwards to get to the hotel and leave them there.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
If you don't want hassle most airports have a "hands-free travel" counter. You can ship your bag to the hotel for around ¥1500.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Can someone please explain the yellow strip on Fukuoka's sidewalks? My assumption was that it was to separate out the flow of traffic but I haven't seen anyone adhere to any set standards.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Yawgmoft posted:

Can someone please explain the yellow strip on Fukuoka's sidewalks? My assumption was that it was to separate out the flow of traffic but I haven't seen anyone adhere to any set standards.

The ones with the raised lines? They are for visually impaired people.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Makes sense. With all the bicycles whipping around I thought it might be some kind of sectioning.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I was fascinated when I first noticed those. There are different tactile patterns to indicate a clear path vs some sort of potentially dangerous transition. You can easily feel the difference if you aren't wearing particularly stiff soled shoes.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
The tracks are also slippery as hell in the rain. Perfect for taking out bicycles.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I usually walk on those tracks in China because they're less slippery than the normal sidewalk.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
I am in the tokes again 7/19-23 looks like

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
You just said no?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

caberham posted:

You just said no?

You talking to me?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

LimburgLimbo posted:

I am in the tokes again 7/19-23 looks like

I get there the evening of the 20th.

Also just found out the only remaining pre-dreadnought in the world is in some park in Yokosuka, gotta hit that.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I get there the evening of the 20th.

Also just found out the only remaining pre-dreadnought in the world is in some park in Yokosuka, gotta hit that.

Ah remember you were around at some point this month, let’s grab a beer or summat.

Also I’m actually there more like 7/20-22, because I get in super early Friday and leave Monday morning, but I’m around.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I got nothing specific scheduled until the 23rd. I'll hit you up on Line closer to the day.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Anyone happen to have a recommendation for a sushi restaurant in Tokyo, preferably near Ginza or
Shinjuku for dinner? Anything mid tier and up would be good, but I'm having a hard time finding a place that allows online reservations, though waiting in line would be fine as well.

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007
I'm looking for some advice/perspective, possibly to talk to someone over electronic message/phone call.

I'm a Taiwan goon (3.5 years), and formerly Korea goon (6 years) and am thinking of taking a corporate job in Tokyo. I have some concerns about this as I currently work for a western company and wonder what the corporate culture will be like. I was already poisoned by Korea and like my job, so I regularly put in 60+ hours a week.

Is there anyone else similarly situated as me; came to Japan in their mid-30s, single, worked an office job, and then made Japan their oyster? I'm not super concerned about the language as my Chinese is pretty decent and as is my Korean.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

asur posted:

Anyone happen to have a recommendation for a sushi restaurant in Tokyo, preferably near Ginza or
Shinjuku for dinner? Anything mid tier and up would be good, but I'm having a hard time finding a place that allows online reservations, though waiting in line would be fine as well.

Just do Sushi Zanmai unless you're looking for something specific

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

politicorific posted:

I'm looking for some advice/perspective, possibly to talk to someone over electronic message/phone call.

I'm a Taiwan goon (3.5 years), and formerly Korea goon (6 years) and am thinking of taking a corporate job in Tokyo. I have some concerns about this as I currently work for a western company and wonder what the corporate culture will be like. I was already poisoned by Korea and like my job, so I regularly put in 60+ hours a week.

Is there anyone else similarly situated as me; came to Japan in their mid-30s, single, worked an office job, and then made Japan their oyster? I'm not super concerned about the language as my Chinese is pretty decent and as is my Korean.

There are many kinds of Japanese companies and they're not all some crazy stereotype so it's hard to say. If you like the work and they pay you well then it's up to you. Unless you start naming companies and/or roles and it's someplace well known we can't really say anything more that if you were to say "I've might work in the US/UK/wherever what will it be like?!"

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

LimburgLimbo posted:

You talking to me?

Ya

Oh snap GF is there too so tempted

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hassle free too tier sushi?
Kyubei. There’s one branch in Keio plaza hotel shinjuku

And one in ginza. Not the best but convenient

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

caberham posted:

Ya

You should come, not long until I'm out of Asia entirely.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

caberham posted:

Ya

Told you I might be going then but you said too tight with your europe trip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Cabe what's that data SIM you're always talking about and does it work in the US?