Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

CheesyDog posted:

god imagine the kind of moron who reads a self-help book

Imagine being the kind of idiot who publically opines about things while bragging that they haven’t done their research on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

they don't make any good points, skeeter. they can't.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Commie NedFlanders posted:

Imagine being the kind of idiot who publically opines about things while bragging that they haven’t done their research on it

i'm imagining Jordan Peterson?

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

CheesyDog posted:

i'm imagining Jordan Peterson?

Add a bunch of mystical Jungian tripe and you're dead on.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Love Rat posted:

Add a bunch of mystical Jungian tripe and you're dead on.

I create a Jordan Peterson tulpa with my bog witch chaos magic

El Boot
Mar 18, 2009

Thank Dog It's Friday
I have never seen a criticism of Jordan Peterson that had anything to do with anything he's actually said.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Who What Now posted:

Debating only works if the other side wants a debate, which Peterson and his supporters don't want. How are you supposed to hold a conversation with someone who will ignore the points that you make and just push on to spew out more platitudes their supporters will eagerly lap up? And then after the "debate" all of their fans will agree that they totally destroyed the libtard cuck.

So where's the value?

Peterson, Shapiro and the rest are becoming advocates of free speech and free debate, they are protecting the right to have dialogues and defending our right to think and speak freely

The people trying to “de-platform” people they disagree with are anti-free speech

We cannot afford to lose free speech, whether it’s right wingers or left wingers who are trying to be authoritarians

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

CheesyDog posted:

I create a Jordan Peterson tulpa with my bog witch chaos magic

I have drawn my own blood with the phallus-shaped runestone and stirred it counterclockwise into the mixture of menstrual fluids of a she-goat , and now, speaking the sacred words of the elders, stand ready to cast my level 6 Spell of Room Cleaning.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

or because you oppose the government telling you that you have to use correct PC pronouns?

The law says you cannot harrass someone for being a protected class, don't be disingenuous.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

El Boot posted:

I have never seen a criticism of Jordan Peterson that had anything to do with anything he's actually said.

must not have read any.

Peterson, Shapiro and the rest are becoming advocates of free speech and free debate, they are protecting the right to have dialogues and defending our right to think and speak freely

The people trying to “de-platform” people they disagree with are anti-free speech

We cannot afford to lose free speech, whether it’s right wingers or left wingers who are trying to be authoritarians

lmao

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Admit it if they make any good points, admit it when you are wrong, and form sound arguments to further your position or criticize their positions .

That’s it, it’s that simple.

Sweet, as soon as they make a good point I'll openly admit it.

So, what's they best you have?

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost

The Left is too drat soft, utterly incapable of arguing in good faith,

The Left is without any moral or ethical framework to guide their conduct, so it unfortunately is the case that all interesting free thinking and discussion is occurring on the right.

The Left had lost its own ground thanks to their allegiance to postmodernism

The Left can only survive if they have their own versions of Ben Shapiro or Jordan Peterson, but the Left is utterly incapable of growing, or learning from their enemy, they have gone too far and the collapse is inevitable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Knv7ZwIBmvs

You idiots cannot humble yourselves, you cannot listen, and you are the reason the right wing is going to continue to grow and create an unimaginably horrifying authoritarian future for us all

Sup Commie, been a while buddy. Hope you have more hilarious posts.

However, on this topic, I don't agree with your statements.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Admit it if they make any good points, admit it when you are wrong, and form sound arguments to further your position or criticize their positions .

That’s it, it’s that simple.

If you cannot do this, then you haven’t thought through your position enough, you need to sit down, be humble, and listen and learn.

I’ve been saying this for years and it’s only gotten me banned from nearly all left wing spaces, right wingers disagree with me but they have the balls to listen to me and debate me which is why they keep getting stronger

Ok, here we go:

They have no good points.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

CONGRATU-loving-LATION YOU JUST DUNKED YOURSELF IN THE KOOL-AID!

I mean holy poo poo, am I missing the joke here? Is this a parody account?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i'm assuming he's pulling these quotes from somewhere.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

I think there should b gullotines erected in every town square for the harvest time feast on the flesh of the wealthy. Where is my platform?

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

Actually the goal of the conservative "free speech" advocates is to chase the left out of discourse altogether so they can impose their own limits on speech. That's been their goal going back to Horowitz's campaign against "leftwing" professors back in the nineties and early aughts.

The ACLU supports free speech. These conservatives claim to but are actually engaged in kulturkampf because the realize that to create their ideal society they will need to make their conservative beliefs as mainstream as possible. They see academia as a place of resistance that has to be overcome to indoctrinate the next generation in "right thinking." So, cultural Marxism (they're too retarded to know they're using the term wrong, or just being shifty) has to go and be replaced with what they consider appropriate ideology. They see themselves as restorers of an older model of thinking. And speech is the just catalyst for it. If the students and professors resist your conservative beliefs, call it censorship, make it about the principle of the thing (conservative students are being oppressed). The best part is the campus left is very thin-skinned (because they are young), so you get them all worked up and then say "see, the left is intolerant of our beliefs." Once you have the public angry at the student and academic left, you can extend that to an all-out attack on every college institution (race-conscious admissions, safe spaces for minority students, LGBT orgs, "PC" curriculum, sexual misconduct investigators, etc.). That's what they're really doing. They're using the cover of free speech to concern troll and bait the left so they can transform colleges into conservative institutions. It's a very smart strategy actually.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

You suck.

Edit: you're also a huge moron. Audit classes at your local community college. Learn something for once in your life.

Nice Guy Patron has issued a correction as of 03:49 on Jun 24, 2018

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Peterson is such an advocate of free speech that he's suing a college for millions of dollars in order to "send a message" in his own words not to speak badly of him.

What a great advocate for allowing all speech!

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

Also, the idea that restrictions on speech within a private or public institution is a slippery slop to censoring all speech is completely ridiculous, akin to arguing that background checks will lead to confiscation of all guns or that a public assistance program is the first step toward Stalinist tyranny. Other countries impose reasonable restrictions on speech, and some of them are even more liberal than we are when it comes to what is acceptable to say in public.

Private workplaces already have restrictions on speech across the board. You can't write "kill the Jews" on a board and expect to keep your job because most people believe in having a non-hostile work environment where all employees feel welcomed, you know, so they can do their jobs. It is not censorship to terminate someone because they made coworkers feel threatened. Only a retard would yell censorship if someone at Google got fired for hanging a noose over a black employee's cubicle.

Well the same thing goes for college. People marching around shouting "Jew will not replace us!" creates an environment where large segment of the student body actually fear for their lives and feel unwelcome, which will affect their academic performance as assuredly as racist comments will affect performance in a workplace. Not to mention the fact that the 1st amendment doesn't even apply to private colleges.

I personally don't believe in deplatforming people like the Bell Curve authors because I believe their discredited work should be held up to academic scrutiny. Because their work is academic in nature, it can be attacked academically. I don't think they need to be physically shoved or shouted down. And even though I think Petetson and his ilk are obnoxious hucksters, their points can be attacked in a civil and, hopefully embarrassing, manner. They wrote stupid arguments. Attack the arguments.

But there is a big difference between merely insipid academic work and the performance of clowns like Spencer and Milo. They are not academics, they have no body of research, they add nothing to the mission of higher education, and their words are designed to encourage real loving violence (their speech is the verbal equivalent of burning a cross on someone's lawn). And imo, colleges have no obligation to invite or provide platforms for these clowns. Screaming and yelling at these rear end in a top hat isn't gonna kill them, and not opposing them is akin to not opposing or disciplining the employee who hung the noose. Colleges are places to learn and there is no place for threats. So gently caress em. Keep them out.

Love Rat has issued a correction as of 04:00 on Jun 24, 2018

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Love Rat posted:

Well the same thing goes for college. People marching around shouting "Jew will not replace us!" creates an environment where large segment of the student body actually fear for their lives and feel unwelcome, which will affect their academic performance as assuredly as racist comments will affect performance in a workplace. 

Ownager already addressed this: "Just don't go near those guys."

Problem solved!

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

me getting interviewed on my position of eat the rich: "you know chimpanzees will band together and kill and eat any chimps that get too much territory"
Interviewer, incredulous: "are you saying we should model our society on chimps?"
Me, laughing: "oh no thats propoterous I'm just saying it's inevitable that human beings will find cooperation against tyranny"

HoboMan has issued a correction as of 04:10 on Jun 24, 2018

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i like how rubin goes "90 percent of professors are liberal" and thinks that's because of suppression of conservative thought and not because the things he believes are poo poo.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Love Rat posted:

Actually the goal of the conservative "free speech" advocates is to chase the left out of discourse altogether so they can impose their own limits on speech. That's been their goal going back to Horowitz's campaign against "leftwing" professors back in the nineties and early aughts.

The ACLU supports free speech. These conservatives claim to but are actually engaged in kulturkampf because the realize that to create their ideal society they will need to make their conservative beliefs as mainstream as possible. They see academia as a place of resistance that has to be overcome to indoctrinate the next generation in "right thinking." So, cultural Marxism (they're too retarded to know they're using the term wrong, or just being shifty) has to go and be replaced with what they consider appropriate ideology. They see themselves as restorers of an older model of thinking. And speech is the just catalyst for it. If the students and professors resist your conservative beliefs, call it censorship, make it about the principle of the thing (conservative students are being oppressed). The best part is the campus left is very thin-skinned (because they are young), so you get them all worked up and then say "see, the left is intolerant of our beliefs." Once you have the public angry at the student and academic left, you can extend that to an all-out attack on every college institution (race-conscious admissions, safe spaces for minority students, LGBT orgs, "PC" curriculum, sexual misconduct investigators, etc.). That's what they're really doing. They're using the cover of free speech to concern troll and bait the left so they can transform colleges into conservative institutions. It's a very smart strategy actually.

Obesity discourses portray fat bodies as failures of individual ir/responsibility. But such discourses, this chapter shows, have come to transcend their epidemiological origins, informing social imaginaries of obesity and its associated moral opprobrium. Fatness as a social semiotic informs the ways in which human beings are judged and categorized. However, against such a constructed discourse, resistance is fertile. This paper explores the ‘fat girls hiking’ sub-culture, in which fat-identifi ed women stray not from the trail but from the social script. This is framed with Connell’s gender order theory and with reference to a Foucauldian model of self-monitoring in the face of social surveillance. In terms of methods and contribution, the paper uses evocative autoethnography through on-trail streams of consciousness and suggests a queering of mainstream discourses about obesity and about the questionable wisdom (or badass temerity?) of women who hike and camp alone.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

Who What Now posted:

Ownager already addressed this: "Just don't go near those guys."

Problem solved!

Yeah, that's the goofy argument that people who have never been subjected to violent racism and homo/transphobia make. I've had friends nearly killed by racist extremists. I have friends who are terrified now because gaybashing is suddenly a thing in traditionally gay neighborhoods. A lot of white straight dudes have an exceptionally cavalier attitude when it comes to the feelings and lives of people not them.

Love Rat has issued a correction as of 04:21 on Jun 24, 2018

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

The Dennis System posted:

Obesity discourses portray fat bodies as failures of individual ir/responsibility. But such discourses, this chapter shows, have come to transcend their epidemiological origins, informing social imaginaries of obesity and its associated moral opprobrium. Fatness as a social semiotic informs the ways in which human beings are judged and categorized. However, against such a constructed discourse, resistance is fertile. This paper explores the ‘fat girls hiking’ sub-culture, in which fat-identifi ed women stray not from the trail but from the social script. This is framed with Connell’s gender order theory and with reference to a Foucauldian model of self-monitoring in the face of social surveillance. In terms of methods and contribution, the paper uses evocative autoethnography through on-trail streams of consciousness and suggests a queering of mainstream discourses about obesity and about the questionable wisdom (or badass temerity?) of women who hike and camp alone.

Yeah, academia produces some junk. What's your point? Do you have any argument besides some critical theory people are full of poo poo? I mean I ridicule this kind of poo poo all the time.

Nope, I'm guessing not.

The right must purify college so the 1-3 percent of professors who write drivel will be defeated! Personally, I'm fine with just dismissing academic jargon on its own grounds. I don't need to cry to the dean about it like some little Chet bitch.

Love Rat has issued a correction as of 04:18 on Jun 24, 2018

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I've read all 13 pages of this and I've come to the conclusion that..*airhorn*

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Love Rat posted:

Yeah, that's the goofy argument that people who have never been subjected to violent racism and homo/transphobia. I've had friends nearly killed by racist extremists. I have friends who are terrified now because gaybashing is suddenly a thing in traditionally gay neighborhoods. A lot of white straight dudes have an exceptionally cavalier attitude when it comes to the feelings and lives of people not them.

Never feeling unsafe in that way is a privilege, but people will do anything to not admit that.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Love Rat posted:

Yeah, that's the goofy argument that people who have never been subjected to violent racism and homo/transphobia make. I've had friends nearly killed by racist extremists. I have friends who are terrified now because gaybashing is suddenly a thing in traditionally gay neighborhoods. A lot of white straight dudes have an exceptionally cavalier attitude when it comes to the feelings and lives of people not them.

Which traditionally gay neighborhoods? I lived in the gayest part of super-gay Columbus, Ohio for three years. I've not seen or heard of one gay bash.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

The Human Crouton posted:

Which traditionally gay neighborhoods? I lived in the gayest part of super-gay Columbus, Ohio for three years. I've not seen or heard of one gay bash.

Capitol Hill in Seattle.

Though the attack I refer to happened in Ballard in Seattle, there has been a general uptick of attacks on gays in Capitol Hill and all of Seattle since 2016. I actually witnessed some dude suckerpunch a gay man on the bus so hard you could hear cracking. And of course the bus driver did nothing, didn't even call it in.

Edit: the attack in Ballard I referred to had a somewhat happy ending. There is also some stats on the increase in hate crimes.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/crime/seattle-man-honored-for-intervening-after-two-gay-men-attacked-in-ballard/

Love Rat has issued a correction as of 04:43 on Jun 24, 2018

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Who What Now posted:

Never feeling unsafe in that way is a privilege, but people will do anything to not admit that.

you know, i've read several times that you are personally a screeching racist retard, so i'm really not convinced we should be trusting your viewpoint on anything

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth

I agree with you, but the problem is that today people don’t bother learning how to think or engage in real thought about things.

Yes, history has shown that being a Nazi is bad, that it’s unacceptable ideology. So what happens then when today someone calls you a Nazi because you don’t want to bake a cake or because you oppose the government telling you that you have to use correct PC pronouns?

We know being a Nazi is bad, but the Left has resorted to acussing anyone who disagrees or offends them of being a Nazi. That is terrible for free thinking, and shuts down speech entirely.

For example, recently Jordan Peterson has gone viral and social media is spilling over with people giving g their hot takes on Peterson and then anyone who supports or listens to Peterson. However, in all of this criticism, there is almost never anyone who actually sits down long enough to listen to what he is even saying. They misrepresent his ideas, misquote or quote out of context, it’s all terrible stupid idiotic forums style arguing and it’s degenerated our ability to speak and consequently our ability to think.

I’ve heard so much negative poo poo about Peterson and I always just ask “well have you read his books”? Which causes them to freak out about why should they read this person’s words bc he is evil and bad and wrong.

This is how far gone the discourse is, these soft, weak leftists really believe that discomfort is an evil in and of itself, that work and struggle is bad. That the effort it takes to listen to, with humility, your opponent and consider that they may know something that you don’t, is completely lost on the left.

The Left is regressing, eating itself alive by blocking & exiling any free thinkers, and creating an echo chamber of coddling and self soothing.

This is going to be terrible in the long run because anyone who watches the video posted in the OP can see, this type of weak discourse is weak and fails in public discourse, and the right wingers ability to simply be respectful, civil, and respect free speech is going to mean they win by default and their bad ideas are goin for be carried into action

yeah this seems true in a folksy kind of way, which is why a lot of old people believe this. there is an idea that people used to talk about their problems around the kitchen table, Norman Rockwell style, and there was none of this ugly disagreement.

of course this is false. people didn't get along better and tolerate each other more in the past. in fact, the opposite is true. society is full of more educated people behaving civilly than ever before.

I think what has indeed changed is technology and speed of communication. most people with internet access have already seen these political debates played out time and time again. people aren't very patient with stupid and outmoded viewpoints anymore.

no, I have not read this guys entire body of work. we all saw the charts. we've all seen this same dumb viewpoint in one form or another. the issue is not that we are beginning to coddle liberals by deplatforming conservative drivel, but that we have been coddling conservatives for years by allowing them a seat at the adults table.

I suppose this may be a disagreement in perception. I do not see these trends as showing weakness but rather intolerance for laziness and stupidity.

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth
ah gently caress

Son of Man has issued a correction as of 04:49 on Jun 24, 2018

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Docahedron posted:

Ned I watched the whole vid do I get anything?! :D

I watched it in full last week. Give me abs in my picture please.

These are the only two people who claimed to have viewed the entire video.

So, now to prove it, whichever of you answers this question correctly wins and I will draw whatever you like:

Precisely which one of the protesters in the audience was the worst, most insufferable, and awful, and why?

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth

So, now to prove it, whichever of you answers this question correctly wins and I will draw whatever you like:

Precisely which one of the protesters in the audience was the worst, most insufferable, and awful, and why?

I don't think everyone need watch this video to discuss the general proposition of the effect of conservative 'debate' on public political
sentiment

what I mean is that is doesn't matter where the conservative discourse is taking place or who is doing the speaking. its all garbage, it's been long proven to be garbage, and the intellectually literate are making an effort to move on.

Son of Man has issued a correction as of 04:55 on Jun 24, 2018

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Are we counting people who asked stupid questions with their hands on their hips as protesters? Or only people that yelled poo poo?

Either way, I'm voting for the "Black Lives Matter" couple because they did it forever, had really dead eyes, had to memorize only three words, and their protest had nothing to do with the subject or speaker.

Coin person gets second place because at least that person didn't stand up and annoy her neighbors as much.

The Human Crouton has issued a correction as of 05:02 on Jun 24, 2018

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth
I just reread the op and realized this thread was a joke. is this what my grandson calls 'getting owned?'

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth
people on the dark web:

pedos
human traffickers
drug traffickers
Nazis
the elite conservative intelligentsia

Son of Man has issued a correction as of 05:02 on Jun 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Are we counting people who asked stupid questions with their hands on their hips as protesters? Or only people that yelled poo poo?

Either way, I'm voting for the "Black Lives Matter" couple because they did it forever, had really dead eyes, had to memorize only three words, and their protest had nothing to do with the subject or speaker.

Coin person gets second place because at least that person didn't stand up and annoy her neighbors as much.

Yeah it’s really cool how much positive discourse “black lives matter” brings up. Like who gets to debate that side, and what criteria do they use to justify human existance?

• Locked thread