Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Who's doing Hey You Pikachu?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
God, that game was so bad. The Nintendo 64 was not ready for voice recognition technology.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
We're forgetting the actual best Pokemon game, Pokemon Channel.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Haifisch posted:

If anyone does a SMD LP, it needs to include every way you can break it over your knee with emeras & multi-hit moves. It's the most easily cheesed PMD since the Rescue Team games(where you could be basically invincible if you picked a starter that learned Smokescreen).
I remember cheesing the crap out of Rest in both Rescue Team and Explorers of Sky, since the downside of "sleep for two turns" is basically non-existent when moving one square counts as a "turn".

The hilarious power of naps, courtesy of Bulbapedia.

Now I have a desire to replay one or more of the Mystery Dungeon games, so I guess Pokemon Reborn accomplished something of merit.:v:

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jun 23, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Okay, this is the last shameless plug for my Stadium LP, I promise.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

You can do Pokemon ranger by slowing the emulator down, I guess. It's still uncomfortable, though, and you have to change the target framerate back when not capturing.

I'm interested in making an LP for them but I think it'll be a long time before I actually do it.

soliam
Jun 24, 2018

Howzit?

1234567890num posted:

You can do Pokemon ranger by slowing the emulator down, I guess. It's still uncomfortable, though, and you have to change the target framerate back when not capturing.

I'm interested in making an LP for them but I think it'll be a long time before I actually do it.

I have an ancient PC tablet that maps directly to the screen, and seems to work fine with with my DS Emulator, if that is something people are interested in.

I hadn't really thought about using it before, but it's been ages since I fiddled around with the Ranger series regardless. (Now, a Ranger fangame would be really interesting)

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
So I took a look at the archived Major/Minor LP cause I got curious when OFS said that game was much shittier than Reborn. And holy christ, that game is just loving incoherent. Reborn is bad because the people are insufferable or stupid, Major/Minor can't even remotely keep any sense of logic straight. I think I'm defeated here, I can't read that nonsense. Had to stop at the 2nd update.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Keldulas posted:

So I took a look at the archived Major/Minor LP cause I got curious when OFS said that game was much shittier than Reborn. And holy christ, that game is just loving incoherent. Reborn is bad because the people are insufferable or stupid, Major/Minor can't even remotely keep any sense of logic straight. I think I'm defeated here, I can't read that nonsense. Had to stop at the 2nd update.

If you can access it, read the original thread instead, everyone's reactions (and, uh, 'fan art') between updates make it a lot more tolerable. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. It was a lot of fun in a :psypop: kind of way, as long as you could turn part of your brain off. Yes, it is a completely lovely irredeemable game, but it didn't make me angry the way this does.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

I just binged this whole thread and what the gently caress

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009

Miss posted:

I just binged this whole thread and what the gently caress

:five:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Now there's an emote we'll want to use in this thread.

megane fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jun 25, 2018

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

megane posted:

Holy loving poo poo

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

If no one buys that by Friday, I'll buy us :why:.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
DOIT

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Reborn might be terrible, but its at least leading to the creation of beautiful things.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

megane posted:

I love you and I love this and Lowtax needs my :10bux:

:pkmnwhy:

I don't love this game

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
It actually got me to download Pokemon Essentials because I had an idea for a pokemon game, though considering my idea requires some modding of how battles look like at the least and I never managed to finish a story even without a game on top of it nothing will probably come of it, but who knows.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

This poor emote is going to see so much use by the end of this helltrip.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Zanzibar Ham posted:

It actually got me to download Pokemon Essentials because I had an idea for a pokemon game, though considering my idea requires some modding of how battles look like at the least and I never managed to finish a story even without a game on top of it nothing will probably come of it, but who knows.

Good luck!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

azren posted:

Good luck!

Hah, thanks! Hopefully if I do end up making something it won't be too terrible (at least not to Reborn levels).

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Miss posted:

I don't love this game
Oh man :allears:

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Hah, thanks! Hopefully if I do end up making something it won't be too terrible (at least not to Reborn levels).
A game with zero plot would still be a better game than Reborn.

Hell, Reborn with zero plot would be a better game than Reborn, because at least then all you're left with is a really hard Pokemon game.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Pokemon Puzzle Battles, where you take fixed teams against really challenging enemy teams, would be a better game than Reborn.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

Pokemon Puzzle Battles, where you take fixed teams against really challenging enemy teams, would be a better game than Reborn.

pokemon xd actually has an entire mode dedicated to this

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

rannum posted:

pokemon xd actually has an entire mode dedicated to this

Never got far into the Battle CDs, but they were cool. Hunting them down was an interesting concept, and you could get some pretty good stuff by completing them.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

Seriously, half of Reborn's ideas are just Pokemon Colosseum, But Bad.
Guess we can include Pokemon XD in that now too.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Reborn actually created 18 new moves. The odd thing, they're all named Hidden Power.

Hidden Power's formula is based on IVs, but Essentials only allows NPCs' Pokemon to have flat numbers across the board, i.e. all 31s, all 30s, and so on. This means it's impossible for the AI to have any type but Fighting or Dark. Rather than work with this limitation, Amethyst just decided, screw it, and just made 18 60-power special moves of every type. Notably, this includes Fairy and Normal, which Hidden Power cannot be.

Hidden Power cannot be Fighting, Psychic, Fire or Rock with a perfect speed IV. Despite this, 11 instances of Hidden Power Fire or Rock appear with perfect 31s.

A consequence of 3 perfect IVs for Pokemon in the undiscovered egg group (babies and legends) is that they can't have Hidden Power be Fighting type. Nothing in Reborn has Hidden Power Fighting in the first place, but I thought I'd bring it up while I was here.

Literally one Pokemon in the Battle Tree in the official games has Hidden Power, Serperior-2, and it has Leaf Tornado/Hidden Power/Mirror Coat/Captivate, so it's not nearly on the level of how many things carry Hidden Power Ice in Reborn (15). It's really minor, except the one trainer who has 3 Pokemon all with Hidden Power Fire when your partner has only one Steel Pokemon, but it says something about Amethyst that, even with field effects and unrestricted access to TMs, move tutors, and held items, she still has to give NPCs this tiny advantage too.

These Hidden Powers having types also make them weird with Z-moves.

Say hello to Mr. Glutton! He'll be demoing this with us. Why Guzzlord? Well, I shouldn't have it anyway, so what's the issue with loving up its moves?

By his IVs, we can determine his Hidden Power to be Bug.

But he also has Move #622, internal name HIDDENPOWERDRA, a 60-power special Dragon move with no other features.

As expected, Mr. Glutton's Hidden Power deals Bug-type damage.

But Hidden Power is still a Normal move and turns into Breakneck Blitz when imbued with Z-power.

On the other hand, HIDDENPOWERDRA is a born-in-the-wool Dragon move that becomes Devastating Drake. Even though "Hidden Power" should always become Breakneck Blitz.

One last thing, here's HIDDENPOWERFAI which frankly shouldn't exist.

Orange Fluffy Sheep fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 25, 2018

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser

Onmi posted:

Fern is apparently based on a real person, who was the kind of person to quit matches he was losing and then rechallenge with a new team.

That explains everything. He's not supposed to be Gary he's just supposed to be the kind of rage quitting dipstick that everyone dislikes and talk poo poo behind their back and make their reputation even worse even if it's just the one annoying thing they do and they're otherwise okay, because if my teenage years on livejournal were anything to go by, RP is like 75% Grudgewank and 25% actually having fun.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Believe it or not, no, Yamask is just a boring-rear end random encounter.

Well that's actually kinda disappointing.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

But Hidden Power is still a Normal move and turns into Breakneck Blitz when imbued with Z-power.
Which is weird, because natural gift, nature power, and metronome all turn into their correspondingly typed z moves.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Reborn actually created 18 new moves. The odd thing, they're all named Hidden Power.

At that point, why not just cheat and give them flamethrower and ice beam?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

On the one hand, I get it. She's working within the limitations of the system while trying to give opponents interesting (see: difficult) movesets. This feels like an obvious thing to do in that case, she isn't even giving them particularly powerful things, only a 60 BP move.

On the other, it is kind of weird. Even with the fields, the game was playing "fair", it never directly cheated until now. This is an advantage that's only on the opponent's side and you can never get, which is normal for most JRPGs but is absolutely not how Pokemon works, barring very weird exceptions (Gen 1 and 2 Lance).

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Kurieg posted:

Which is weird, because natural gift, nature power, and metronome all turn into their correspondingly typed z moves.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was an intentional balance difference. To prevent a Pokemon from being able to use a Z-move of any type bar Fairy.

Blaze Dragon posted:

. This is an advantage that's only on the opponent's side and you can never get, which is normal for most JRPGs but is absolutely not how Pokemon works, barring very weird exceptions (Gen 1 and 2 Lance).

And Totem Pokemon

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Don't bottlecaps preserve the old hidden power type while raising the stat up to 31 IV? To "explain" all the variety in 31-IV hidden powers

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

PoptartsNinja posted:

At that point, why not just cheat and give them flamethrower and ice beam?

Because this is a perversion of an old adage among GMs of tabletop RPGs: "Never let your players know you cheated." Effectively, as a GM, you're responsible for the group's fun, but dice being what they are, you have no way of knowing just how well or poorly a fight is really going to go. So, if it looks like things are getting too hard, or too easy, you just start making things up. That's why you have GM screens, so if you decide the bad guys should whiff in order to avoid killing someone whose dice have gone bad, or manage to hit someone who's on a hot streak, nobody will notice. Applied properly, this ensures that the challenge level feels consistent and fun without feeling arbitrary, but if you admit to having fudged things, it's going to make the players feel like what they were doing didn't matter.

So, in Reborn, this is the reason why Pokemon have arbitrary-typed Hidden Power rather than just having Flamethrower/Ice Beam/etc. (it's unlikely a person will realize that the Hidden Powers have been tampered with without cracking open the code like OFS), but in Reborn's case, it's lazy and unnecessary, rather than an essential skill.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dr Pepper posted:

And Totem Pokemon

This is a bit different, since Totems are specifically more typical JRPG boss fights. They get to have unique mechanics and abilities.

I'm surprised those unique mechanics and abilities weren't added to this game, actually, you'd think instant free stat boosts would be something this game's difficulty would love.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Important note: Hidden Power breeding is just the absolute worst.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Miss posted:

I don't love this game

:drat:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Kurieg posted:

Important note: Hidden Power breeding is just the absolute worst.
:agreed:

It requires a specific combination of even/odd IVs, which makes IV breeding even worse because you're not just looking for 31s, you're also looking for 30s. (Or 0s in some circumstances, like a Trick Room sweeper or a Special-Attacking Pokemon weak to Foul Play.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

cheetah7071 posted:

Don't bottlecaps preserve the old hidden power type while raising the stat up to 31 IV? To "explain" all the variety in 31-IV hidden powers

Hyper Training sounds like a feature I'd like to have.

Also there are things like flat 20s with Hidden Power Fire which are impossible even with Hyper Training.