Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It does a heck ton of damage is what. I have screamed a lot of bosses to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
You scream your dang soul out and it will gently caress up whatever it hits a lot.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
It's the button you push to make dream warriors go away.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Man, these Dream Bosses are no loving joke. I've taken down Lost Kin and Grey Prince Zote and I feel like an unstoppable killing machine.

Grimm can gently caress right off, though.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
As soon as I beat the Broken Vessel, I saw its corpse glow, so I whacked it and, well. I was not prepared. After beating my face against it like ten times, I learned that it was optional.

That was fun.

Also, playing this game right after (uninstalling out of intense dislike) Salt & Sanctuary was a much needed breath of fresh air.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

redreader posted:

how do I defeat the final smasher? do I just dash past it? the one that you're at the ceiling-level of the smasher? is it just timing?
edit: ^^^ yeah I did notice that. So for the final one it's just timing then :(

edit: of course I just did it first try after letting the switch charge for half an hour. Bitching online, hell yes.

The ones that drove me nuts were the ones after that with conveyor belts under them. Took me like 25 tries to get through them. Luckily you never have to do it again once you've gotten through once.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

SirSamVimes posted:

A lot of damage.

Holy poo poo, you're not kidding. I think I got it way too late to start using it last time around, but I just used it to beat the Soul Master on my first try. Heck yes.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Speaking of soul master. Hmm, he's got those little wheels flying around him. maybe if I whack him with my dream nail I'll get some free orbs :cry:

Dancer
May 23, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

Speaking of soul master. Hmm, he's got those little wheels flying around him. maybe if I whack him with my dream nail I'll get some free orbs :cry:

This might just be the best post in this thread :allears: .

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Soul Master killed me so many times on my first run since I fought him as early as possible and was getting tilted by his long boss run.

The good news is when I finally got around to fighting Soul Tyrant, I was so used to the fight I beat it on my first try.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
This Traitor Lord can eat my rear end!!! My ally is totally worthless.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Oh god, I now have three adorable cute little spiderbros following me!

:3:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Internet Kraken posted:

Soul Master killed me so many times on my first run since I fought him as early as possible and was getting tilted by his long boss run.

The good news is when I finally got around to fighting Soul Tyrant, I was so used to the fight I beat it on my first try.

I had the exact opposite experience as you, cleared out Soul Sanctum as soon as I was able to access it and then struggled mightily with the thing in spoilers. The fact that everyone's experience with this game is so variable is to its credit IMO.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Cartoon Man posted:

Oh god, I now have three adorable cute little spiderbros following me!

:3:

Go sit at a bench and wait a bit.

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne

Bogart posted:

This Traitor Lord can eat my rear end!!! My ally is totally worthless.

I just beat them today by keeping close. When they make a move, jump diagonally away then dash towards them, which will clear both their jump-up move and their dash-sideways move. So long as you keep close, they will never use the two-spinning-discs ranged attack.
Still have to be careful of them sending out waves you need to shadow dash through, but that’s about all. Try to put in a quick nail attack whenever you dash over them, but don’t rush it - it’s better to just be safe and go ‘slow’ and steady since there’s basically no chance to heal. I did better overall when I basically just gave up any idea of trying to heal myself in the fight, since it always went wrong when I did.

If you are really hating it, there is a exploit I read about see to comment here- https://www.reddit.com/r/HollowKnight/comments/8crqhf/improved_traitor_lord_overtuned/ - But I decided not to use that exploit, since I figured bosses will only get harder as we go on so there’s no use in trying to avoid them.

Noonsaliwah fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 24, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm guessing I should seek out a nail upgrade before I keep trying to tackle flukemarm ? cause this is ridiculous with each fly taking two hits to kill.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Yeah, the flukes dying in one hit instead of two is basically the single fulcrum the entire fight balances on. Come back later.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Well I made it several rooms into PoP and then had to make it through several additional checkpoints with no soul recharges. I died and was sent all the way back to town.

I'll probably get back to it in my ongoing quest to wring every last bit of gameplay out of this game but that was pretty frustrating.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

PantsBandit posted:

Well I made it several rooms into PoP and then had to make it through several additional checkpoints with no soul recharges. I died and was sent all the way back to town.

I'll probably get back to it in my ongoing quest to wring every last bit of gameplay out of this game but that was pretty frustrating.

Every checkpoint in PoP has soul recharge. Some of them are just a bit hidden.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

The statues in PoP are infinite as well, you can always get more soul from them.

Also grubsong (from saving enough grubs) and deep focus (hidden in crystal peak) in combination give you effectively infinite healing even without the statues.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
What the gently caress the banker disappeared.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

SirSamVimes posted:

Go sit at a bench and wait a bit.

In fact do this with every "pet" charm equipped.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Sock The Great posted:

Looks like she might've taken your money on a little siesta.

Hint 1: maybe she'd want to go somewhere more civilized.

Hint 2: maybe a spa?

Hint 3: it's behind a simple-keyed door in the City of Tears.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Sock The Great posted:

lol that wasn't a bank you were putting your money in

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Don't forget to attack her 'bank' a few times for a laugh

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
saying this so i remember it: DREAM GATE OUTSIDE OF BOSS FIGHTS SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO THE RUNUP

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Cnidaria posted:

In fact do this with every "pet" charm equipped.

slumber party build best build

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Sock The Great posted:

That got me too :newlol:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The lack of stag stations is really getting to me. Finding the one in Kings station and realizing it’s broken was borderline insulting.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

veni veni veni posted:

The lack of stag stations is really getting to me. Finding the one in Kings station and realizing it’s broken was borderline insulting.

Look around a little more.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh I will when I get back. I died with a bajillion bug bux down there and respawned 10 miles away.

DuckKnight
Mar 5, 2017

Bogart posted:

saying this so i remember it: DREAM GATE OUTSIDE OF BOSS FIGHTS SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO THE RUNUP

Holy poo poo why didn't I do this a single time.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

veni veni veni posted:

There's a working one right above it.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Sock The Great posted:

These are my favourite posts.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Ok, so I spoiled myself on on it, so I knew to at least try something, but how are you supposed to know how to get the Void Shriek ability?

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Echophonic posted:

Ok, so I spoiled myself on on it, so I knew to at least try something, but how are you supposed to know how to get the Void Shriek ability?

I think you're supposed to notice the howling mouth sort of statues in the background, and recognize that they look a bit like the mouths when you use it. I certainly didn't know that the first time though, and ended up wiki'ing it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
IIRC, if you Dream Nail the pedestal, it says something about voices, which I guess could clue you into what to do there. But yeah, it's a bit of a stretch.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

IIRC, if you Dream Nail the pedestal, it says something about voices, which I guess could clue you into what to do there. But yeah, it's a bit of a stretch.

I'm actually there right now, so I went to go check. Can confirm using the Dream Nail gets you "...Our voices... will cry out... again..." Still, using the Dream Nail here might not be terribly clear to everyone.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Echophonic posted:

I managed to figure it out myself, this was my thought process: It was a weird room and I was past the point in the game where I'm getting new movement abilities and stuff, so I figured it was a puzzle. I dreamnailed the pedestal and it says something about voices. I realize that the statues in the room look like the faces that get made when you cast the spell, so I cast the spell, and was then disappointed I only got a new spell..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I was like “this is a weird room I should look up what it does” so I did. :downs: