Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Known Lecher posted:

Hot take: Shanghai-style Chinese food is generally pretty mediocre. (Good 小笼包 are nice though.)

Honestly I'd follow Magna Kaser's advice and try to track down some of regional Chinese cuisines that are harder to find outside China like Xinjiang, Yunnan, (good) Sichuan, etc etc. and spend the week eating those instead. Most not-complete-hole-in-the-wall restaurants will have amply illustrated menus, and even a lot of the hole-in-the-walls will have a wall of photos, so I wouldn't worry too much about learning specific dishes unless there's something your heart is set on trying.

holy gently caress. No way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Like yeah Shanghai does have food from all over China but Wu cooking is the way to go. The dumplings are mostly meh, the North Western is mostly miss, and Sichuan sure do stick around because you can find Sichuan everywhere in China but it's alright.

Unless your Chinese food standard is super basic and you can be impressed with anything. Then yeah, go get whatever regional cuisine.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

danse macabre posted:

I'm travelling in Shanghai from the 14th-19th of June for a friend's wedding. Any food recommendations while I am there? I speak a bit of Chinese but my food knowledge is terrible, so I'd like to learn the names of the dishes before I go. I'm thinking 小笼包,生煎包,etc.

Also, I'm staying around Nanjing East Road Station. Does anybody know any gyms nearby that have single visit passes?

Cheers!

drat, I'm going to Shanghai tomorrow for the weekend and spent most of last week in Shanghai.

Food recommendations:

Shanghai food

建国328 - home style casual
That place in Jingan which magna took me - home style casual
新荣记 - fancy pants expensive, but more gourmet
Old Jesse - ditto

Fried soup dumplings, sheng jian

小杨 - chains everywhere, but I think their quality dipped a tad
This other place which i forgot and i guess is should ask my friend

Steamed soup dumplings

莱莱 - by people's park, some other lurker goon's wife doesn't like it but I think it's not too bad. Albeit expensive but hey they got crab roe filling
佳佳 - go to the original
富春 - recommended by goon's wife

Fried dumplings, 锅贴

宏玉房 - CASH ONLY There's more everywhere but I particular like this one

馄饨 - Huntun, which sometimes get mixed up for Cantonese style wontons. They are everywhere, eat them.

葱油饼 - scallion pancakes

饭团 - sticky rice balls, think Onigiri
真圆糍饭团 - all over town

BARS

Speak Low
Senator
Constellation

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
QUAD POST CABERHAM IS COMING TO TOWN AGAIN FOR THE NTH TIME BUT IT'S TIME FOR A GOON MEET

WHEN?? Saturday is the official Night. I think I might have an out of towner or 2 coming in. Lady galaga will also be flying in to watch some video game tournament and then have a goon meet.

I'm shooting for 730pm?

WHO?

Caberham
Lady Galaga
Magna Kaiser
Architect goon
lurker finance goon
super duper lurker Hangzhou Goon

RIP some cool guy, stuck in a tutoring centre, and sleeping in some hotel lobby

WHERE?? Just to start the night, Im thinking of a quick taco at Taco Laoban, eat something quick then we get the gently caress out and go roam.

Restaurant suggestions:

More tacos
North Korean
Home Style Shanghai
Xinjiang
Sichuan
Burgers
NO HOT POT
NO CANTONESE

FUN OPTION: CAGES BATTING BAR - it's huge rear end american portions and there's a batting cage and giant sports bar. I always wanted to do a group event there. Plus we can drink tonnes of beers and I can probably stumble home

As long as we aren't eating Cantonese food I'm fine. Honestly, I with you guys and I'm just glad we all get to meet and I know it's easy to get tired of local food. I suppose it depends on the number of out of towners and all.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

caberham posted:

drat, I'm going to Shanghai tomorrow for the weekend and spent most of last week in Shanghai.

Food recommendations:

Shanghai food

Old Jesse - ditto

Steamed soup dumplings

莱莱 - by people's park, some other lurker goon's wife doesn't like it but I think it's not too bad. Albeit expensive but hey they got crab roe filling
佳佳 - go to the original

Fried dumplings, 锅贴

馄饨 - Huntun, which sometimes get mixed up for Cantonese style wontons. They are everywhere, eat them.

葱油饼 - scallion pancakes

真圆糍饭团 - all over town

BARS

Speak Low
Senator
Constellation

Holding onto this for future reference

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Come to Chengdu I'm leaving in like six weeks.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Friday night is casual night (as well)

Lady galaga is coming in on Saturday and I rather hang out with you guys.

Last Saturday night I ended up meeting some couch surfers because all my shanghai friends were drained of energy or had other plans. No more couch surfers (in shanghai) :suicide:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

simplefish posted:

Holding onto this for future reference

i wanted to get simple fish and zengbo and GTA but zengbo's wife was a no go and GTA shirked out last minute. so sad :(

fart simpson has bad food opinions on Eastern Chinese food and is not going.

Dang and next week is another long weekend.

Christ I have been traveling and meeting people 5 weeks in a row and I cant believe I'm doing ok. Actually not really Im kinda sick but and am hooped on crazy strong meds

Oh yeah the pain killers are super strong and I forgot to mention a place in Shanghai

Ka Si Ling

It's an old style bakery from the 1920's and they actually sell sticks of butter and cream. They make super duper old school cakes, like basic bad childhood cream full of powdered sugar. And eclairs at 7rmb because it's a tradition and not a luxury.

caberham fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 7, 2018

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

Come to Chengdu I'm leaving in like six weeks.

gently caress man, my china visa's expired, and while it'd be great to see you again (had a blast with you last time) I'm definitely doing Chengdu again before I leave this corner of the world

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

caberham posted:

i wanted to get simple fish and zengbo and GTA but zengbo's wife was a no go and GTA shirked out last minute. so sad :(

We will do a fun at some time soon

Also comin round to chug your opiate cough syrup

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

simplefish posted:

gently caress man, my china visa's expired, and while it'd be great to see you again (had a blast with you last time) I'm definitely doing Chengdu again before I leave this corner of the world

well when you go tell me, I will get ice aim and fart and my wife. The Tibetan food :love: and the hotpot

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

ill be in chengdu last week of june or first week of july

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
Do I really need to wash my shrink wrapped plate set at the restaurant with hot water or is that poo poo actually clean?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
It’s clean and it’s a southern china thing.

Blame Hong Kongers

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Actually do a finger smear test. Sometimes you still get a bit of mystery residue but just wipe that stuff out

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

French Canadian posted:

Do I really need to wash my shrink wrapped plate set at the restaurant with hot water or is that poo poo actually clean?

It's probably not clean but lol at the people who think swirling some lukewarm tea around in it does anything. You're in China, accept the filth or you'll go mad.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Anyone know a good travel agent/service I can use to to get a tourist visa for China. I don't want to travel all the way down to San Francisco

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 23, 2021

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

sincx posted:

www​.oasischinavisa.com

Not the cheapest but quite good in my experience.

Thanks!

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
So I'm planning to move to China again for, like, the third time. This time with girlfriend. Set on living in Shenzhen, but keeping Suzhou and Hangzhou as backups. This is nothing more than a statement of intent. Hope to see some of you goons, once more.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Hey man, nice to be having you back but colour me surprised! I thought you were gone for good last time. Definitely see you when you're back, good luck with the move!

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
Yeah, me too, bud.

I'm just kinda bored back here in the states, though. I miss the chaos and inscrutability of modern Chinese existence, and fun Asia jet setting. It's a good feeling to always be at least 15% out of your element and a head taller than the crowd.

So many fond memories from that last Chengdu trip, like the brawl between middle-aged stuffed Panda vendor ladies for the best hawking spot outside of the Research Base, or how you (simplefish) wore a suit to the airport in an attempt to legitimate your traveling on a business visa and then chugged a can of beer at 8 am once we got past security.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Rental Sting posted:

Yeah, me too, bud.

I'm just kinda bored back here in the states, though. I miss the chaos and inscrutability of modern Chinese existence, and fun Asia jet setting. It's a good feeling to always be at least 15% out of your element and a head taller than the crowd.

So many fond memories from that last Chengdu trip, like the brawl between middle-aged stuffed Panda vendor ladies for the best hawking spot outside of the Research Base, or how you (simplefish) wore a suit to the airport in an attempt to legitimate your traveling on a business visa and then chugged a can of beer at 8 am once we got past security.

That suit thing was pretty funny I forgot about that.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Rental Sting posted:

Yeah, me too, bud.

oh God I forgot the brawl between the Panda vendors...God this loving country man, I am going to miss it so much

Chengdu was PANDAmonium!

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
how nuts is it that I literally saw a brawl between old lady Panda vendors and it didn't even make a noticeably memory for my Chengdu trip. like seeing old ladies fight throwing stuffed pandas and screaming at each other seems like it would be kinda memorable...but nah, China. lol

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Rental Sting posted:

how you (simplefish) wore a suit to the airport in an attempt to legitimate your traveling on a business visa and then chugged a can of beer at 8 am once we got past security.

simplefish owns lol

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Rental Sting posted:

So I'm planning to move to China again for, like, the third time. This time with girlfriend. Set on living in Shenzhen, but keeping Suzhou and Hangzhou as backups. This is nothing more than a statement of intent. Hope to see some of you goons, once more.

welcome back man, if you and the girl are ever doing Asia to the west coast, Honolulu is a dope stop over for a few days, just sayin'

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

In the words of popeye, "I yam what I yam"

Also suit jackets are great for travelling. The pockets!

Chengdu was one of the best trips ever, crazy panda ladies aside the pandas were great. It was definitely better getting there early before the crowds descended and the pandas got lethargic from their breakfast and stopped moving

I'm not overstating it when I say you guys are my lifelong friends

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I don’t remember the panda vendors until you guys mentioned it.

But yeah it was super fun and we ate good food and walked around all day

danse macabre
Oct 29, 2010

caberham posted:

Food recommendations:

Shanghai food

Old Jesse - ditto

Steamed soup dumplings

佳佳 - go to the original

Fried dumplings, 锅贴

葱油饼 - scallion pancakes

真圆糍饭团 - all over town

BARS

Speak Low
Senator
Constellation

Thanks mate, really appreciate you putting this together.

If anybody is in Shanghai between the 14th (tomorrow) and 19th, let me know.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I’m not, mate.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
There’s a small goon group in shanghai and if you are lucky you can see lenttt

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I don't check this thread but if you're on wechat or something pm me and maybe??? I know some good local joints if you want just shanghai or other kinds of chinese food.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

I'm doing a flying visit through China (Beijing and Shanghai) next month with my fiancee. Most stuff is under control but I need an update on VPN recommendations (all my crap is with Google, I will not survive 2 weeks behind the great firewall). Specifically is NordVPN working? The goon deal seems tempting.

Also I guess I'll be in Hong Kong 28-30 this month and 25/26 July. Maybe there's some kind of goon meet, maybe not? Also I'm seriously considering trying to do a dive in HK while there this time. Hopefully I come back and don't end up stuck a ferry propeller.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

NordVPN doesn't work here. A couple people claim to have gotten connected, in my experience it's completely useless and they even told me they don't support China. That may be out of date.

ExpressVPN is working fine though.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Express VPN it is! Also I remember Caberham had a pretty good 'places to eat in Hong Kong' post at some point in the last few years that requires archives. I've been to HK before but mostly wandered around like a lost foal. Also previous trips have largely involved national holidays, rugby 7s or food poisonings. Other highlights were getting dragged around by aunt over half the city to find a cafe that served the best croissants in the city and ended up finding a Delice de France.

I'm hoping for something better this time although only have 2 or 3 days with my fiancee. Highlights would be (for her) any kind of steamed dim sum. I'm happy with authentic cantonese, modern Western crap or pretty much anything. We're planning to stay near Central, probably an Airbnb although not sure if it will be Kow Loon or Hong Kong. As long as we're near a subway it's not too crucial I think.

kenner116
May 15, 2009

MrNemo posted:

We're planning to stay near Central, probably an Airbnb although not sure if it will be Kow Loon or Hong Kong. As long as we're near a subway it's not too crucial I think.

Glad to hear you'll be eating fresh.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

What was the consensus on NordVPN working in the mainland? The goons at work blocked Spotify and I’m considering getting a multi year subscription. Don’t really want to do it just for that though, so China access would be a nice plus.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Warbird posted:

What was the consensus on NordVPN working in the mainland? The goons at work blocked Spotify and I’m considering getting a multi year subscription. Don’t really want to do it just for that though, so China access would be a nice plus.

I don't think it does work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Warbird posted:

Grand Fromage posted:

NordVPN doesn't work here. A couple people claim to have gotten connected, in my experience it's completely useless and they even told me they don't support China. That may be out of date.

ExpressVPN is working fine though.