Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Caganer posted:

Read the Wikipedia page + sources for yourself:

If you are taking the typical Reddit POV that because I don't have a mind reading device I'm :airquote: just speculating:airquote: feel free, that's your right.

But I think if you read between the lines "LOL poo poo, our son has been dead for years and we never even filed a missing person's report! Don't tell people who we are zomg, this is like, SO embarrassing!" is pretty likely scenario.

I have read them, that's why I was interested in whether you had some actual personal insight or were stating a plausible theory.

I mean you may well be right (another possibility could be that he was abused by someone in the family, he subsequently cut all ties, then winds up committing suicide after however many years of no contact, family wants to let sleeping dogs lie/never believed he was abused/knew and did nothing about it/never knew), but there are a bunch of reasons someone might cut off or lose contact with even close family members. Then again, some families just aren't that close. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Interesting website but I think I'm blind from that goddamned color scheme.

I didn't last even the first paragraph. That is a seriously terrible color design.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Whitlam posted:

I have read them, that's why I was interested in whether you had some actual personal insight or were stating a plausible theory.

I mean you may well be right (another possibility could be that he was abused by someone in the family, he subsequently cut all ties, then winds up committing suicide after however many years of no contact, family wants to let sleeping dogs lie/never believed he was abused/knew and did nothing about it/never knew), but there are a bunch of reasons someone might cut off or lose contact with even close family members. Then again, some families just aren't that close. :shrug:

So do you or do you not think it’s a plausible theory? That’s a lot of :words: without saying much :shrug:

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I'm not sure that actually having a name would change much. It's hard to judge but there seemed to be a similar emptiness after the Lori Erica Ruff case was solved. Even if people never truly believed any of the fantastical theories, they're still what drew people in.

When you've been hearing theories about mysterious cults and spies, hearing that it was just a (possibly abused) runaway kind of leaves a weird feeling in the air.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Caganer posted:

So do you or do you not think it’s a plausible theory? That’s a lot of :words: without saying much :shrug:

Sure I think it's plausible, I'm just saying there's a difference between a plausible theory, especially since there are so many in this case since there's so much we don't know, and "I know this for a fact". My original question was just asking which one it was.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
Just asking questions!!!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Caganer posted:

Caganer posted:

Just asking questions!!!

Why are you being so defensive? It’s weird as hell. They’re not even really disagreeing with you, christ almighty.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
Jordan Keterson killed the son.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Aren't we all a little bit Lyle Stevik on the inside?

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Ariong posted:

Why are you being so defensive? It’s weird as hell. They’re not even really disagreeing with you, christ almighty.

it's his gimmick/he's maskenfreiheit

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
/r/creepywikipedia has some good stuff

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongolian_death_worm

The Mongolian death worm (Mongolian: олгой-хорхой, olgoi-khorkhoi, "large intestine worm") is a creature alleged to exist in the Gobi Desert.

The creature first came to Western attention as a result of Roy Chapman Andrews's 1926 book On the Trail of Ancient Man. The American paleontologist was not convinced by the tales of the monster that he heard at a gathering of Mongolian officials: "None of those present ever had seen the creature, but they all firmly believed in its existence and described it minutely."[1]

The worm is said to inhabit the western[3] or southern[1] Gobi. In the 1987 book Altajn Tsaadakh Govd, Ivan Mackerle described it as travelling underground, creating waves of sand on the surface which allow it to be detected.[4] The Mongolians say it can kill at a distance, either by spraying a venom at its prey or by means of electric discharge.[1][5] They say that the worm lives underground, hibernating most of the year except for June and July, when it becomes active. It is also reported that it most often comes to the surface when it rains and the ground is wet.[1][self-published source?]

The Mongolians believe that touching any part of the worm will cause almost instant death and tremendous pain. It has been told that the worm frequently preyed on camels and laid eggs in its intestines, and eventually acquired the trait of its red-like[clarification needed] skin. Its venom supposedly corrodes metal and local folklore tells of a predilection for the color yellow. The worm is also said to have a preference for local parasitic plants such as the goyo.[1][self-published source?]

Ariong posted:

I felt like he was trolling. Sorry my polite pushback offended people :shrug:

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Caganer posted:

I felt like he was trolling. Sorry my polite pushback offended people :shrug:

She, I wasn't, and you came across as an aggressive dick.

Let us put this behind us and post our favourite cryptids. Mine is still Mokele-mbembe. I realise that lost dinosaurs are used by religious nuts to try and prove young Earth theory or whatever, but drat if I don't want to believe.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Whitlam posted:

Let us put this behind us and post our favourite cryptids. Mine is still Mokele-mbembe. I realise that lost dinosaurs are used by religious nuts to try and prove young Earth theory or whatever, but drat if I don't want to believe.

Calling someone a swear word then saying "let's put this behind us" also comes across as trolling, especially since I never insulted you :shrug:

I always found the Chicago Tylenol murders fascinating. When I was a little kid I asked my m om why they make it so hard to get into a bottle of ketchup (seal thing wouldn't tear off cleanly) and she told me about this. Pretty scary for a six year old:

quote:

The Chicago Tylenol murders were a series of poisoning deaths resulting from drug tampering in the Chicago metropolitan area in 1982. The victims had all taken Tylenol-branded acetaminophen capsules that had been laced with potassium cyanide.[1] A total of seven people died in the original poisonings, with several more deaths in subsequent copycat crimes.

These incidents led to reforms in the packaging of over-the-counter substances and to federal anti-tampering laws. The actions of Johnson & Johnson to reduce deaths and warn the public of poisoning risks have been widely praised as an exemplary public relations response to such a crisis.[2]

No suspect was ever charged or convicted of the poisonings. New York City resident James William Lewis was considered the prime suspect, and was convicted of extortion for sending a letter to Johnson & Johnson that took credit for the deaths and demanded $1 million to stop them.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Months/years ago someone in this thread thought their family member did that. I wonder if they have any updates for us.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Caganer posted:

Calling someone a swear word then saying "let's put this behind us" also comes across as trolling, especially since I never insulted you :shrug:

It's not trolling to accurately describe someone's posting.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Caganer posted:

A swear word?! Heavens to betsy! Is there any line these contemptable trolls won’t cross?

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
:smith:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Miss_Nobody_case

Wikipedia posted:

Little Miss Nobody is the name posthumously given to a young girl whose body was found in Congress, Yavapai County, Arizona on July 31, 1960. Her body is estimated to have been discovered between one and two weeks of the date of her death.

Due to the advanced state of decomposition of the child's remains, the specific cause of her death has never been established, although it has always been considered to be a homicide. Furthermore, despite extensive local and national efforts to discover the identity of this child, her identity remains unknown, and the case remains unsolved.

This unidentified decedent became known as "Little Miss Nobody" after no family or friends came forward to either report her missing, or to claim her body. Following recent advances in technology, a forensic facial reconstruction of Little Miss Nobody was released to the media in 2018 in renewed efforts to identify this unidentified child murder victim's remains.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Aw, geez. Hopefully the DNA recovery and facial reconstruction helps identify her. Not surprised she hasn't been identified if her body was so badly charred and decomposed they couldn't even tell her age or anything.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

PetraCore posted:

Aw, geez. Hopefully the DNA recovery and facial reconstruction helps identify her. Not surprised she hasn't been identified if her body was so badly charred and decomposed they couldn't even tell her age or anything.

Yes but kids get reported missing usually and thankfully there’s not many so usually race + location + age narrows it down :(

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Been so long that whoever did it is probably dead now, even if they figured out who she is. :smith:

Randaconda has a new favorite as of 19:54 on Jun 24, 2018

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Little Miss Nobody always kills me because the drawing looks just like one of my goddaughters did at a similar age. Want to go back in time and save that kid :smith:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Caganer, nothing about what she said made it sound like she was attacking you. She asked if you, and this is a direct quote, "know this for a fact, or [are] just speculating." It was a perfectly valid question and why you felt the need to report every person in this thread who replied to you for derailing/trolling is beyond me. Stop it.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Caganer, nothing about what she said made it sound like she was attacking you. She asked if you, and this is a direct quote, "know this for a fact, or [are] just speculating." It was a perfectly valid question and why you felt the need to report every person in this thread who replied to you for derailing/trolling is beyond me. Stop it.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Anyway, here's a video that's trending today, though maybe it should go in the badass pictures thread instead. An Iraqi soldier defuses and removes an explosive belt planted on a young boy by ISIS.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKcXx4PxGvE

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

AlbieQuirky posted:

Little Miss Nobody always kills me because the drawing looks just like one of my goddaughters did at a similar age. Want to go back in time and save that kid :smith:

She's not the original Little Miss Nobody, either. Little Miss 1565 was also known by that sobriquet.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Whitlam posted:

The Truth Hammer posted:

among adherents of the pseudosciences of cryptozoology and Young Earth creationism

Ouch.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Jedit posted:

She's not the original Little Miss Nobody, either. Little Miss 1565 was also known by that sobriquet.

Maybe her parents / only family died in the fire too? :smith:

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Caganer posted:

Probably. See also the New London school explosion, which has at best a rough guess at a body count because there were rather a few entire families of itinerant oilfield workers in it.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Caganer posted:

Yeah, it seems likely another family accidentally claimed the body of the child whose family claimed Little Miss 1565. I guess after a while the family just wanted some body back, even if it wasn't actually their kid. It's really sad all around because without DNA testing it's going to be hard as hell to match up all the bodies to their families.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

xtal posted:

Months/years ago someone in this thread thought their family member did that. I wonder if they have any updates for us.

Posting because I remember quoting this person years ago and wanting to see if I can find the post, but I'm thinking it was in the prior incarnation. If only there were some way to narrow down archived posts by a set of specific criteria.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Noisycat posted:

Hey guys! I got a few messages about my posts in the last thread (my grandfather may possibly be responsible for the Tylenol deaths) and I don't have much of an update, unfortunately. Life got very stressful, my husband developed mental illness and we lost our house so I just couldn't open this can of worms until I wasn't worried about being homeless/feeding my kids.

I talked to my best friend's dad who is FBI and he knew my family because my friend and I have known each other since we were 8. He had even met my grandfather.

You'd expect at this point for him to say something like, "No way, that's odd, where did you hear that?" or "Your Papa didn't seem like that kind of person!" Nope. Both of them said, "That kinda makes sense." And told me to call the Chicago FBI branch. Which freaked me out a little.

I know it seems easy to make a phone call but I worry about things like, will somebody bother my grandmother (who had been divorced from him for 25+ years)? She's such a good person i don't want anyone questioning her or making her feel like she had a part in anything. If this comes out, will my family disown me for bringing this to light? What if I'm wrong and in the end I lose friends and family for stirring up poo poo that wasn't even true? I mean, the guy is dead and no one liked him but sometimes people can be weird about family.

However, I am still going to make the call. Now that life has leveled out and I'm in a new city with a stable residence, I'm not stressed out of my mind. Even if i lose family over this, I can't just not do anything. I'm not going to be of much help to the FBI; my grandfather never talked about his job to us grandkids and we were forbidden from learning German (his mother language) because he said he had phone calls we were not allowed to listen in on. He lived a very strange life (he later claimed to be CIA).

So...I apologize for the lack of followup. Hopefully i will have time to make that call and hope they don't laugh me off the line.

Oh here it is.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Caganer posted:

I always found the Chicago Tylenol murders fascinating. When I was a little kid I asked my m om why they make it so hard to get into a bottle of ketchup (seal thing wouldn't tear off cleanly) and she told me about this. Pretty scary for a six year old:

I remember when that was happening. Pretty much the only medicines my family was going to trust had to come from the pharmacist and I still remember my grandma dumping everything else as a precaution.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Reminds me of the Glico Morinaga case.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glico_Morinaga_case

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Danger posted:

Oh here it is.

I think there was a follow up where they basically said the FBI followed up and nothing came of it and his grandfather didn't do it.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think there was a follow up where they basically said the FBI followed up and nothing came of it and his grandfather didn't do it.

I remember this as well.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Good lord that was 4 years ago?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

xtal posted:

Good lord that was 4 years ago?

And like 20lbs ago....:sigh:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Solice Kirsk posted:

I remember the followup but there was no confirmation that it wasn't the grandpa. Just "we don't know :shrug:"

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

I think his family were upset with him for saying it might be his grandfather. They wouldn’t talk to the FBI so there was as nothing else for them to look into.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I thought Caganer's bit of saying everyone who disagreed with them was 'trolling' was some meta trolling part on their part, not that they'd actually report some girl who doesn't want to deal with him being an aggressive dick . :shrug:

Fun bit from Liverpool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm0FQMo85GM

There's really no way to say that 'purple' Aki isn't a racist term since the whole purple thing comes about because 'he's so black he's purple' but just read the wiki if you want to know more about what a 'muscle touch ban' means.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akinwale_Arobieke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Easily my favorite cryptid.