Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
You don't need to counter lobs or drop shots since they don't knock you back. I don't think charging lob or drop shots does anything other than fake out your opponent.

Generally you wanna punish lobs with a charged flat so you get that nice fast overhead star shot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You can charge lobs and drops.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"
Maaan the Drop Shot is really really powerful in this compared to the other games where they were just shots that hit the ball really slowly. Now they go about the same speed as a normal hit and then skid to a halt as soon as they hit the ground.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
This is the most frustrating game I've played in loving ages. Holy christ. I have no idea what the gently caress I'm doing wrong. I get utterly demolished online it's not even remotely close.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

If you haven't played through the full adventure mode yet it's a solid intro to all the mechanics and how they work/interact

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

someone awful. posted:

If you haven't played through the full adventure mode yet it's a solid intro to all the mechanics and how they work/interact

This. After playing up through the start of ~ice zone~ I'm already a lot better than I was during the beta.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

It's times like these that I wish we could add people we've faced as friends. Me and this dude had a loving WAR. Went to tiebreaker overtime, then we had a tiebreaker on THAT too. One of the best matches I've ever played.

Edit: Oh poo poo you can do that! I need to send this dude a well played if I can.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

CascadeBeta posted:

It's times like these that I wish we could add people we've faced as friends.

Friend have I got some news for you

(You can totally do this, go to add friends and look at people you recently played with)

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

someone awful. posted:

I've played up to blooper. Not sure which mechanics are left to be explained.

It seems like no matter what I do my opponent is getting drastically more star shots and building their energy way, way faster. I'm 2-10 now online.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

someone awful. posted:

Blooper is ruining my poo poo still :(

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

leftist heap posted:

It seems like no matter what I do my opponent is getting drastically more star shots and building their energy way, way faster. I'm 2-10 now online.

If you get off on the wrong foot, concede the point. Being stuck in a situation where all you can do is respond to the other person means they keep building their meter and you are just scrambling and possibly losing meter with trick shots. Obviously this doesn't work if they have 40 or advantage, but it's a way to shut their meter building down and another chance to build yours.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

leftist heap posted:

Start timing double tap shots instead of charging shots. Charging shots is good if you can predict where a shot is going, but most of the time you should be single or double tapping shots.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Can you counter charge shots with normal shots or do they have to be charged as well?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

CascadeBeta posted:

It's times like these that I wish we could add people we've faced as friends. Me and this dude had a loving WAR. Went to tiebreaker overtime, then we had a tiebreaker on THAT too. One of the best matches I've ever played.

Edit: Oh poo poo you can do that! I need to send this dude a well played if I can.

Tight, exciting matches like that make this game GREAT. It’s definitely the multiplayer, local or online, that makes this game.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Partial Octopus posted:

Can you counter charge shots with normal shots or do they have to be charged as well?

Countering with normal shots drastically reduces the knock back.

Also countering lob/drop shots with the correct shot makes them significantly faster. Always return drop shots with top spin. You'll win so many rallies that way.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Cojawfee posted:

What? You can only use zone speed when the ball is coming at you.

Might of been a bug when I was playing with a friend then? I most certainly was loving around tapping it after I hit it. Screen would go dark and stutter and he was yelling at me that I was loving him up with it.

I guess I'll need to mess around more.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I still have yet to win a tournament. I vastly prefer Classic mode. I got to the semi-finals only to lose to a vastly more experienced Boo. I was playing Chain Chomp, who I can't say I'm really fond of, but CC has some insane coverage. I was returning things I had no business being close to. Still, I had trouble reading him as a power character, everything I hit felt pretty week.

How does one do a proper smash shot in this game? Before there were stars you could run up to them and smash a ball for a good powerful shot, but I can't consistently pull it off. And what's the R button Leap shot all about?

The power of your shot depends partly on where you're positioned where the ball lands. If you're too far away from the ball your character will lunge for it, but the shot will be very weak.

When any other character does this you'll see them visibly break form and stumble but Chomp is literally just a giant sphere so you can't really notice. So it looks like its reach is wider than it really is. That's why your shots aren't as strong as they could be.

As far as stars are concerned, this got shown on the Nintengoons discord: https://docs.google.com/document/d/10yqhB5A9YPwkeEadGa86LCvU8ZjW0tmZ-vOP9LSBNts/mobilebasic

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
One thing that is a recurring slight annoyance is that even if you're in the right position and you have a full charged shot the game doesn't really let you hit a shot right down the line. Its annoying because I do think it takes a tad bit of strategy/mind game element out of it.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

soggybagel posted:

One thing that is a recurring slight annoyance is that even if you're in the right position and you have a full charged shot the game doesn't really let you hit a shot right down the line. Its annoying because I do think it takes a tad bit of strategy/mind game element out of it.

If you double-tap the button for a powerful shot, those tend to go down the middle more than single-tap shots.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

If you get off on the wrong foot, concede the point. Being stuck in a situation where all you can do is respond to the other person means they keep building their meter and you are just scrambling and possibly losing meter with trick shots. Obviously this doesn't work if they have 40 or advantage, but it's a way to shut their meter building down and another chance to build yours.

CascadeBeta posted:

Start timing double tap shots instead of charging shots. Charging shots is good if you can predict where a shot is going, but most of the time you should be single or double tapping shots.

Thanks for the tips.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
It seems a little weird to me that they even bother putting stats on the rackets in single player when every one ends up being flat out better in every way than the previous one :psyduck:

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone figured out how exactly everyone is different yet or are people still messing with everyone?

Like, how is Luigi different from Mario etc

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

someone awful. posted:

Basically... git gud.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Stefan Prodan posted:

Has anyone figured out how exactly everyone is different yet or are people still messing with everyone?

Like, how is Luigi different from Mario etc

Someone on reddit is doing stat breakdowns, so far I've seen speed and reach. Reach is the far more important one. An interesting part of that is that each character has about a 2 to 5 foot margin of error for receiving shots. Boo has zero. Him being good really does come down to how insane his slices are.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I never have regretted buying a game this quickly (not even Brink). Two days in and my win percentage is in the 30s and I can count the number of times I've gotten to the second round on one hand. In the demo I made it to finals five or six times and to the second round in nearly every tourny. I feel like nothing I do matters nor functions how I think its supposed to. I'm loving such of playing people with several thousand of points against my <1000. I just payed a Waluigi who built a special shot in the first rally before I had a yellow meter.

I like to think I had a strong understanding of this game during the demo and none of that seems to matter in the face of never ending Bowser Jr's and Boo's.

Can anyone explain why sometimes when I do some shots it works and other times the ball hits my face? I can't figure out where the cut off is. The ball hits me just as often as zone shot activates.

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jun 24, 2018

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

The other thing is that prediction/reading your opponent and reacting quickly with trick shots will build your meter faster than anything else you can do really. Get good at forcing specific shots or learn the rhythm of the person you're playing against (it kind of sucks games are so short because you don't get time to do this in tourney really) and trick shot over to them and you'll gain a tonnnnn of meter, as well as making a strong shot

If you're getting rolled by someone getting meter really fast they are probably doing this

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Wildtortilla posted:

I never have regretted buying a game this quickly (not even Brink). Two days in and my win percentage is in the 30s and I can count the number of times I've gotten to the second round on one hand. In the demo I made it to finals five or six times and to the second round in nearly every tourny. I feel like nothing I do matters nor functions how I think its supposed to. I'm loving such of playing people with several thousand of points against my <1000. I just payed a Waluigi who built a special shot in the first rally before I had a yellow meter.

I like to think I had a strong understanding of this game during the demo and none of that seems to matter in the face of never ending Bowser Jr's and Boo's.

Can anyone explain why sometimes when I do some shots it works and other times the ball hits my face? I can't figure out where the cut off is. The ball hits me just as often as zone shot activates.

For your last question... I'm not 100% sure on this but I think your character needs to be facing the ball for zone shot to activate. I had the same thing happen where I was running to the star and hit R and no zone shot, just a ball hitting me in the face. Now I only active it when my character is in position sooner and clearly facing the ball.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Looking for one more for goon doubles - anyone want in?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

soggybagel posted:

What character are you playing? I use Peach precisely because Technical characters are better at exactly this, sending winners right down the line is even more satisfying than a drop shot that plinks right over the net (which Peach is also good at)

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
If you're charging your shot in the right position the ball should never hit you in the face or body. The only time I've ever been hit in the body or face is when I'm lagging. Could be latency issues..

E: If that reddit chart is to be believed and I do, Rosalina really does feel loving slow!

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Playing multiplayer makes you way better at the adventure mode challenges. I went back to SP and got to Kamek and it only took a couple tries.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I feel like if you are playing at technical character, the single tap shots seem like they can be worth doing sometimes?

Peach can put some extremely hard to get shots out there with the single taps, but on the other hand they're slow so anyone good at trick shots can probably still get them

Has anyone been able to make serve and volley work, or like net play in general? I feel like it's way too easy to get lobbed and it's too hard to like get any extreme angles from playing at the net, it just seems like mostly a negative to try and play up

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Stefan Prodan posted:

I feel like if you are playing at technical character, the single tap shots seem like they can be worth doing sometimes?

Peach can put some extremely hard to get shots out there with the single taps, but on the other hand they're slow so anyone good at trick shots can probably still get them

Has anyone been able to make serve and volley work, or like net play in general? I feel like it's way too easy to get lobbed and it's too hard to like get any extreme angles from playing at the net, it just seems like mostly a negative to try and play up

Boo loving dies if you play the net so you can be pretty successful there.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Had a couple dozen or so goon matches in singles and doubles. Probably goes without saying, but playing with goons owns and is something I highly recommend. Get in the Discord and join up!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

For everyone frustrated with the regular game and broken characters, I really suggest Classic Mode. It's harder to pull off such bullshit there. It's way more strategic since you have to unbalance your opponent via a serious of lobs and dropshots and requires a bit more finesse, but it eliminates the insta-return of Zone Speed and trick shots, which I find pretty nice.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Kirios posted:

Had a couple dozen or so goon matches in singles and doubles. Probably goes without saying, but playing with goons owns and is something I highly recommend. Get in the Discord and join up!

You got a link to the discord?

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"
Jeez louise, Nintendo really needs to fix the balance issues in the online mode. I have like 70 points and was matched up against somebody with over 14,000!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Jeez louise, Nintendo really needs to fix the balance issues in the online mode. I have like 70 points and was matched up against somebody with over 14,000!

More points =/= more skill

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's like the ranks in rocket league, it's just a measure of how long someone has played the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

RCarr posted:

More points =/= more skill

You don't really get many points for losing though, so unless they've been playing nonstop since release, people with multiple thousands are probably pretty good.