Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Jedit posted:

The thing is, though, that pre-sexual children are more likely to think a man in a dress is funny rather than gross. It takes a parent to teach them that. So while it's come out all wrong (so to speak), this is probably a typical case of "make movies for the kids, include subtle jokes for the adults who take them".

The subtle humour of ace ventura pet detective

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
These sure are some funny quotes.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
I've said it before and I'll say it again, we aren't giving enough information from Finkle/Einhorn's perspective to know if they they're legitimately trans or just batshit crazy, but I'm inclined to believe the latter, since their grand scheme for revenge involved quitting a super-bowl contending NFL team to become the chief of police in the same city and kidnapping a dolphin.

Dressing up as the opposite gender just seems like garnish on the crazy-cake at that point.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

All I know is, I don't give a gently caress what the LGBT community thinks about Mrs. Doubtfire.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, we aren't giving enough information from Finkle/Einhorn's perspective to know if they they're legitimately trans or just batshit crazy, but I'm inclined to believe the latter, since their grand scheme for revenge involved quitting a super-bowl contending NFL team to become the chief of police in the same city and kidnapping a dolphin.

Dressing up as the opposite gender just seems like garnish on the crazy-cake at that point.

The main problem is the big reveal at the finale can be summed up as "Ace reveals Finkle is Einhorn, everyone vomits in disgust like that's the appropriate response".

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The main problem is the big reveal at the finale can be summed up as "Ace reveals Finkle is Einhorn, everyone vomits in disgust like that's the appropriate response".

Nah, Lobok is right.

Lobok posted:

The scene is still bad of course but we were supposed to think Sean Young had been making out or having sex with all of them at some point. They don't vomit, they start spitting. Tone Loc scrubs his tongue with his fingernails. Their reactions are actually tamer than the whole Crying Game meltdown Ace has earlier.

I get more of a straight (heh) homophobia vibe from it, even watching it as an adult that knows about gender dismorphia. This was the early 90s, we weren't making fun of trannies yet, gay jokes were good enough.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Say what you want, but I can't be mad at someone who thinks kidnapping a dolphin is a good idea.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Yestermoment posted:

All I know is, I don't give a gently caress what the LGBT community thinks about Mrs. Doubtfire.

Most I know love it because Uncle Frank and Aunt Jack aren't portrayed as odd, just another couple. It was a refreshing take on queer people in a comedy film.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Plus, it doesn't seem to be making fun of crossdressers or trans people, it's just a dad going to extreme lengths to see his kids. It's good spirited.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Thing is, though, Ace Ventura (rated PG-13) was marketed to kids who almost certainly would never have watched The Crying Game (rated R) --- so you end up with an impressionable audience exposed to the punchline "transpeople are really gross" with a satirical context that maybe some of the adult audience would understand. :shrug:

I agree with that fact, however media for kids often references things from movies that responsible parents wouldn't have let their kids see yet. Not just for parents' enjoyment of an in-joke, but because kids have a powerful sense of cultural osmosis. It even goes beyond Sesame Street doing a Game of Thrones parody and into entire cartoon series being based on things that wouldn't yet be appropriate for the kids the animated version targets, like Robocop: TAS, Rambo: Force of Freedom, Beetlejuice, and Police Academy.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Yestermoment posted:

It is weird how films have become so loving vapid in the last 20 years that doofy family movies starring Robin Williams in the 90s are more intellectually challenging than the modern Best Picture nominees.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Yestermoment posted:

The events of the film prove that Robin Williams' character lost custody of his kids for a reason.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The events of the film prove that Robin Williams' character lost custody of his kids for a reason.

Pretty much. The judge was right to take them away and make his visits supervised. If it was real life. For the movie she's the bad guy.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Solice Kirsk posted:

Pretty much. The judge was right to take them away and make his visits supervised. If it was real life. For the movie she's the bad guy.

The judge was massively, incredibly right. Also the later judge who is like "yeah, this could be cast as a gesture of affection and love, however you are a huge liar and also this was pretty messed up". It's the mom who later decides to let him have more custody time, but she's still not going to re-marry him.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

mrs doubtfire is a terrible stalking nightmare, he literally tries to poison their stepdad

ace ventura is weird about mtf women having something gross back behind there i never got it... i assume its cock & balls but why are they all throwing up?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Krankenstyle posted:

mrs doubtfire is a terrible stalking nightmare, he literally tries to poison their stepdad

ace ventura is weird about mtf women having something gross back behind there i never got it... i assume its cock & balls but why are they all throwing up?

because he had his genitalia surgically removed and then stapled to his buttcrack

this is what I assumed, watching the movie as a child, and I believe it to this day

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

classic :pwn:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Ray Finkle was just very well endowed. Either that or she really did have hemorrhoids.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Krankenstyle posted:

Because they all, to some degree, got sucked and hosed by a crazy football man.

These are all great forums quotes btw.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
If a mtf person ended up looking like Sean Young I would still like to date them, pre-op or post.

That was my feeling as a tween and I stand by it

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

syscall girl posted:

If a mtf person ended up looking like Sean Young I would still like to date them, pre-op or post.

That was my feeling as a tween and I stand by it

But what if they are a replicant?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
are they murdery?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

the travelling salesman problem

Aaaaaand now I finally understand why I failed that one job interview.

(Apparently none of my CS professors ever showed us an example of that particular problem, or I wasn't paying attention.)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Sir Lemming posted:

Aaaaaand now I finally understand why I failed that one job interview.

(Apparently none of my CS professors ever showed us an example of that particular problem, or I wasn't paying attention.)

I'd ask for a refund on a CS degree where you never encountered the TSP.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

holy omg actually i literally think i thought she was mtf irl when i saw the movie back then & she is hot as poo poo too

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Absurd Alhazred posted:

seriously, yeah. you got robbed

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I saw that film when I was maybe 6 and I just assumed that was how transitioning worked.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

To be clear, I graduated in 2007 and was recently switching jobs -- it's extremely possible I simply forgot about it. It's not like that stuff actually comes up in real work so it would be filed away somewhere in the "don't need" section of my brain for a decade.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

what is the problem?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

MrJacobs posted:

what is the problem?
The traveling salesman problem (TSP) is "given a set of cities and distances between them, what is the shortest route a salesman can take to visit every city?" It's a classic problem; wikipedia can explain it better than I can, since it's often not relevant post-college.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

All right, all right, all right. Here's some more vintage quotes.

RandomFerret posted:

No, Moslems don't believe that Jesus was the messiah.

Think of it like a movie. The Torah is the first one, and the New Testament is the sequel. Then the Qu'ran comes out, and it retcons the last one like it never happened. There's still Jesus, but he's not the main character anymore, and the messiah hasn't shown up yet.

Jews like the first movie but ignored the sequels, Christians think you need to watch the first two, but the third movie doesn't count, Moslems think the third one was the best, and Mormons liked the second one so much they started writing fanfiction that doesn't fit with ANY of the series canon.

Igiari posted:

Nature's all "welp humans, see that moon? Yeah, it's like, hundreds of thousands of miles away. And even if you were patient enough to go that far, you can't get out of your atmosphere. And even if you could, there's no air. And if you somehow manage to evolve to the point where you no longer need to breathe (good luck!) there's gently caress all there", and we're all "gently caress you and the horse you rode in on, we're gonna build a rocket powerful enough to get out of the atmosphere, fast enough to get us there in a week, make snazzy spacesuits with tons of air, and when we get to the moon, we're gonna play golf, just because we loving can.”

One of my favorite M R CRACKER missives:

quote:

They say "The grass is always greener." That means that you always like things more if you aren't sitting in the middle of them.

For example, someone tries to steal your car, and they try really hard to crack in, but once they make it, all they get is junk under the seat, and your receipts. Now they don't want the car anymore, but it's too late.

Life is like that. By the time you figure out that everything is just a scam and they want you to do all the dirty work, you die. If you ask someone "Do you want to never work again and never gain weight?" They would say yes, but it turns out that's called death.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Bell curves and all that. When you have literal billions of people you can find adult humans that just kind of...ended up that tiny. Sometimes the body just gets to 4'10" and 90 pounds and goes "alright, I'm done." Under normal circumstances yes a fully grown person shouldn't be all that tiny but it's really the opposite end from the people that grow over 7' tall.

My guess is that they also picked the tallest black guy performers they could find and then did some camera angle tricks to make them look even bigger. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they were a bunch of like 6'3" guys that were standing on boxes behind her. She's also sitting cross-legged so she looks smaller than she is.

edit: Looking closer the dudes are also leaning forward which makes it look like they're looming. Your brain just kind of registers that as them being bigger than they actually are. The dude farthest to the right isn't leaning and is the biggest so you kind of just assume the rest of them are also that big.

Erebus posted:

you got more anal about it than they did

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

MrJacobs posted:

what is the problem?

I may be showing myself up as an obnoxious elitist STEMlord shithead, but it's one of those signature NP-hard/NP-complete problems they will have mentioned in at least two courses I'd expect a computer science major to have taken (although I guess you could condense algorithms and complexity into one course if you were in a rush).

Sir Lemming posted:

To be clear, I graduated in 2007 and was recently switching jobs -- it's extremely possible I simply forgot about it. It's not like that stuff actually comes up in real work so it would be filed away somewhere in the "don't need" section of my brain for a decade.

Fair enough.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Please rerail.

this broken hill posted:

imagining some guy being able to read my mind while i'm on the toilet

"gently caress gently caress gently caress it's one of those rectangular ones that's wider than it is long oh noooooo"

this broken hill posted:

"phwoar would you look at that continuity! anacondaaaaaa"

"what's wrong my love, are you being attacked by a snake"

"no gently caress off patrick i've just been eating whole grains"

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

One of my favorite M R CRACKER missives:

Go read Veins. It’s by that Drew guy who does Married to the Sea. Literally M R CRACKER: The Book. It’s only about 150 pages so the joke doesn’t end up wearing out.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

the plant is actually called the "squirting cucumber." i'm not making that up

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Go read Veins. It’s by that Drew guy who does Married to the Sea. Literally M R CRACKER: The Book. It’s only about 150 pages so the joke doesn’t end up wearing out.

Drew Toothpaste is literally M R CRACKER aka I LIKE FROSTYS aka da share zone aka KOMPRESSOR

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Super Waffle posted:

Drew Toothpaste is literally M R CRACKER aka I LIKE FROSTYS aka da share zone aka KOMPRESSOR

Yeah, when I said it’s literally M R CRACKER, I meant the book is literally the first person narrative of M R CRACKER.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Drew is Da Share Zone? Ok, I didn't know that. Good for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Drew is basically half the people on the internet. In ten years we're going to find out he was also @dril, Chuck Tingle, and Andy Kaufman.