Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

u brexit ukip it posted:

Talk *to* Geshud, in fact!

Funny you should mention that, my Dwarf had a dream about him very recently:

EDIT: .... or he thinks it's him.....

Foul Ole Ron fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jun 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
For those of you who aren't following the main DF thread, the new update has dropped, adding the long-awaited hill dwarf foundations. Right now your civ will set up settlements near your fort if it is doing well and you can administer both those and places you conquer. As well, you can now send dwarves out to the hills for a completely bloodless way to get rid of your useless fish cleaners and soap makers.

Oh yes, also dwarves now form long term memories and their memories can alter their personality traits when ruminated on in conjunction with events that transpire to said dwarf.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
I've been thinking about the severed dwarf head that the guy returning from his expedition had to dodge on the way back... namely, how did it get all the way over to the pools in the west where the goblin/human zombies ended up, considering all the new dwarf-zombies are still generally standing around the mountainside where they died?

The simplest reason I can think of is it was carried there by the zombies. Which opens a lot more questions. Did one of them throw it at the returning dwarf when they saw him, or just drop it on the ground? What were they doing walking over to those pools in a big group, carrying a reanimated severed head anyway? Planning the most gruesome game of volleyball ever perhaps, to mess with the defenders. Like a more comedic version of launching plague bodies over the city walls.

I don't think I had fan-art appear during my overseership in Fogwall (or perhaps there was a portrait or so actually...), so just wanna say, I love it!

The hill dwarf thing sounds all right I guess, but I dunno I think after refamiliarising myself with this game I find it a little hard to get excited about what amounts to more horrific menus to navigate. I know it was a running joke like 5 years ago, but has Toady allotted any time for a UI pass like, ever? The more features and arcs get completed, the more impossible it'll get to remember how to navigate anything at all and the less meaningful it feels without an update to basic quality of life stuff.

The changing personalitites thing sounds pretty neat though. Mainly because it'll manifest without horrendous amounts of micromanagement.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

IPA Regulations posted:

The hill dwarf thing sounds all right I guess, but I dunno I think after refamiliarising myself with this game I find it a little hard to get excited about what amounts to more horrific menus to navigate. I know it was a running joke like 5 years ago, but has Toady allotted any time for a UI pass like, ever? The more features and arcs get completed, the more impossible it'll get to remember how to navigate anything at all and the less meaningful it feels without an update to basic quality of life stuff.

Last I heard he's still against updating the UI. New stuff just keeps getting piled on top until the game is finished.
(The game will never be finished.)

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

NewMars posted:

dwarves now form long term memories and their memories can alter their personality traits when ruminated on in conjunction with events that transpire to said dwarf.

So what you're telling us is that dorfs will now get PTSD for real?

Guess every fort ever will go out in a tantrum spiral from now on.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Facebook Aunt posted:

Last I heard he's still against updating the UI.

Ugh. I know it was never at all a priority, but not that he was actually against it. Even something as simple as unifying building hotkeys across menus would make things better.

There's no reason to leave so many potentially simple aspects of the game so obtuse apart from creating a barrier to entry, or maybe to make actually super mundane stuff seem more engaging? Idgi

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

his reasoning is that since he keeps adding more big fundamental features, any UI revision is going to end up being horrible and out of date fairly quickly - and last time he tried making the game look good (armok 1) that ended up sucking up all the development time. If he does the UI at the 1.0 mark, then the game's features are already complete and he won't need to do multiple big UI revisions

Especially since the UI is already getting improved with fanhacks (without him doing anything), so

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

IPA Regulations posted:

Ugh. I know it was never at all a priority, but not that he was actually against it. Even something as simple as unifying building hotkeys across menus would make things better.

There's no reason to leave so many potentially simple aspects of the game so obtuse apart from creating a barrier to entry, or maybe to make actually super mundane stuff seem more engaging? Idgi

I think it's just that he finds that sort of work super boring and knows he would just have to overhaul it again a few years later after he's crammed in a million more new features. Better to do it all in one big pass - or ideally, rope someone else in to do it after the game is finished (ha ha)

Also I'm guessing he's worried that it would hamper his testing/workflow having to relearn all the muscle memory involved.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
I thought a whole squad went looking for that book?

Where are the rest of them?
Where am I?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sad King Billy posted:

Where am I?

Still partying?

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Tunicate posted:

his reasoning is that since he keeps adding more big fundamental features, any UI revision is going to end up being horrible and out of date fairly quickly

Yes, I know. That's a fair reason not to completely re-do all the menus or whatever. But it just seems like there are certain minor but incredibly annoying UI problems in parts that haven't changed in a long rear end time and probably won't change up to the mythical 1.0.

Like the example I gave, why not homogenize the hotkeys used across the menus. j is down stair in designate mode but builds a cage in build mode. Why? Who knows, better get used to it. That stuff just makes no sense, ever, and should be easy to do.

Maugrim posted:

Also I'm guessing he's worried that it would hamper his testing/workflow having to relearn all the muscle memory involved.

This is probably the most acceptable reason I've heard tbh. After all, no one plays more DF than Toady.

Somewhat related to this, is there any fan hack or something that binds mouse scroll to scroll menus instead of + - / * ?
I've been using a bit of the mouse cursor feature from DFHack, but often default to using the keys to examine things thanks to returning muscle-memory habits. If the scroll wheel actually worked to move through menus somehow, I think I'd be pretty happy with what's available.

Sad King Billy posted:

Where am I?

Sorry if it wasn't clear from the updates. You're in the second 'roving squad' I mentioned at the end of one of the updates.

Being totally honest, I'd stopped following the thread before I got called up, and just caught up as I was writing my first updates. So I'm not 100% sure how explicit LPzie meant to make who was being sent during their turn. Here are the current facts, may be spoilery for people who prefer to find out in a narrative way:

You're a member of the Large Metals, another squad sent after the same book as the Book Requests (who were just LPzie's parents, 2 unnamed dwarves).

These are the Large Metals

I can't examine or otherwise interact with them while they are offsite, and I don't know when they'll be back. LPzie's dad was gone getting pissed for about a year. Which means you guys could be coming back soon.

And if we don't get the siege gone by then, you're hosed.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Also from outside the narrative
From what I recall, I sent my parents out for books. Then they were captured so I sent a squad out to retrieve them but I didn't realize a rescue mission had a different command than a book raiding mission so when I sent the first squad out, they returned with books but no parents. Then I sent them out again, and again they brought back books. Then I sent out two squads, still giving only the book raid option instead of rescue. One of the squads returned, but the other one never did. The squads been gone for 2+ years now, and I'm inclined to think they fought instead of allowing themselves to be taken captive. So they probably died? Not really sure. We were at war with that site I sent them to and they had a population of like 50+ maybe?

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Felsite, 569

With the dust settled and the faint screams floating in through the battlements on the cold breeze giving way to the now somewhat familiar sounds of the restless dead outside, work in Valleysilences continued.

The first week proves relatively uneventful, save that Tunicate is reported to be in a depression again.

It appears perhaps the lot of a Vesh-worshipper in Valleysilences is a difficult one, for now.

Or perhaps she misses her lover A Bad Place, who has also been drafted to the mining/masonry team and now works round the clock to bring the plots of the child Overseer to reality.

Despite the new minecart track, a lot of stone is still being moved by hand. Some wooden wheelbarrows have been commissioned, and some of them are particularly pretty - dwarves no doubt side-eyeing DivineCoffeBinge intently as he displays his mastery of woodcrafting.

Part of the dig crew, who were doubling as unskilled masons to fulfil the urgent need for magma-control devices, are taken off masonry work to focus fitting the existing devices as work orders near completion.

On the 10th of Felsite, the rough passageway above the new entrance corridor is finished. So Math does the honours and knocks through the last section of ominously warm granite.

Now that the miners are freed up, a lever control room for the Plan is mapped out on the bottom level of the New Works, close to both the main staircase and the new entranceway itself.

A side note in that around this date - a green glass skylight, left sadly unfinished by Overseers past, is ordered finished with the remaining green glass blocks in the stockpiles.

One of the Recruits who had been outside when the zombie horde arrived claims the name of one of the fallen, dwarves being apparently decidedly unsuperstitious when it comes to these sorts of things.

Welcome, Cathode the not Undead

And another axedwarf wishes to be henceforth known as Phallic Phalanges

She may not have much to her name, but she has the most necessary thing in Valleysilences for her profession:

She's currently engaged in watching a wrestling demonstration by militia commander Malachite_Dragon. Could this dwarf be the reason so many green recruits seem eager to engage without weapons? An isidious thought...

Elsewhere, Pharnakes is engaged in patient care, descending the main staircase with water, though the hospital stands empty. A housecall perhaps.

Meanwhile GruntMountain considers the hidden power Geshud has bestowed upon their home...

Soon, the world would know.

An unnamed thresher brushes up on his triangles, perhaps anticipating the imminent need for mechanics.

On the 20th of Felsite, it's reported the sieging force has moved back over to the gate, well in range of the crossbows of the defending dwarves.

The Rough Toes are hastily recalled and stationed on the upper battlements. This time, with the gates sealed, it's hoped nobody can figure out a way to martyr themselves. It's not likely the dwarves hope to score any permanent kills on the horde, however the live (ha!) target practice is welcome.

Being also heavily understrength since the events of the previous 2 months, Marksdwarves are drawn from the reserve squads and The Arched Points to bring the Rough Toes back up to 9 Marksdwarves:

Commander Deceitful Penguin,
Dallbun,
Guarstine,
An unnamed thesher (the triangle expert),
HardDiskD,
burnaboy,
PurpleXVI,
HardHead,
BlackBalloon.

Hopefully HarddiskD and DeceitfulPenguin can redeem themselves somewhat in the eyes of the rest of the militia.

This leaves The Arched Points a shadow of their former selves, and in need of new volunteers.

Dozens of levels below, A Bad Place continues working on improvements to the corridor drain. His dedication is exemplary - Tunicate should take note heart.

More equipment is commissioned to replace that lost Outside. Epsilon Moonshade shows quite a flare for it.

While several of the Rough Toes have assembled, the sound of twanging crossbows and hissing bolts is distinctly lacking.

It appears HardDiskD, burnaboy, Black Balloon and HardHead have all showed up without bolts.

Though [b]HardHead
thought to bring her baby to take a peek at the marauding undead.

The marskdwarves plead it's not their fault, what with ammunition being so scarce after all. This causes a stir among the administrators of the fortress - at last count, the armouries had over a thousand bolts of varying quality.

As it turns out, the marksdwarf squad was only alotted 70 bolts among the entire squad. This is hastily rectified. Eventually, new member [b]Dallbun
shows up and fires a couple of his steel bolts at the horde, landing a good hit before the undead shuffle out of range, distracted form whatever their intent was by chasing a rabid wolverine around the field.

(Centre left, bolt landing.)

We can imagine the other Rough Toes looked appropriately ashamed.

It's difficult to know, as the marksdwarves all promptly left their station, hopefully to pick up the newly alotted ammunition.

Epsilon Moonshade turns their skills to marksdwarf equipment. No excuses of shortages in the future.

The month draws to a close with enough magma-safe hatches now created to fit the entire upper passageway. It's now urgent to get these mechanised.

The dig crew is once again repurposed - this time with another 15 or so 'volunteers' for the final stages - connecting every hatch with magma-proof mechanisms to the waiting levers.

The comprehensive list of those contributing to the Plan as of the end of Felsite (barring active soldiers):

The 1st of Hematite dawns with the first connections already in place.

A note, tucked between the pages of a treatise on glue. Believed origin in Valleysilences, circa 569.

Everyone here sucks! I make the best plans, and everyone has to follow. That's the rules. But they don't want follow!!

They say 'Ohhh IPA we can't go there' 'Ohhh IPA we don't have enough of those' 'Ohhh IPA, the dead walk, Geshud has abandoned us, my dead family, we must honour the fallen, a bloo'

'Ohhh IPA please let me see him, it's been a month, I can't cope, a bloo bloo bloorghghgh'.

No. Go there. Gate's closed, I don't care. Make more. Make the Plan. I don't care.

Everyone is so useless. Why are those outsider dwarves still in the tavern. Are they gonna help us fight? They didn't even move when the dead arrived.

They're lucky we need that magma where it is for now. Soon we won't.

Nearly done. Chop chop.

Valleysilences is gonna be the greatest fortress in the whole world whether they like it or NOT. They'll learn that.

And the Others are gonna learn that too. We'll feed every Other to Geshud. Their flesh will wither in his flame, we will sweep their putrid souls into his cold grasp. The dead outside are first. Geshud's test of us. We will pass.

And when we're done, we'll pick over their bones as we feel like it.

And we'll be the GREATEST!!

...Where have they all gone anyway?...

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 24, 2018

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Oh hey, it's my dwarf. She's been doing such a good job of keeping her head down I was wondering if she'd died :v:

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

What ever happened to my dwarf?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Ah, good, the overseer is starting to go insane. Situation normal.

And hey look, I exist. :toot:

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013
Yay, I'm alive! What am I doing?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Well poo poo, I've been drafted to a position where I may actually be useful. Almost got out of it by pretending I wasn't allowed to pick up any bolts, too.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
:lol: I am a fatty fat fat fucker, even my goddamn dwarf is in better shape than I am. When the hell'd I become a militia commander? I thought I was just a metalworker gang-pressed into being a soldier

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Have I died gloriously yet? I don't think I've seen my inevitable corpse show up yet.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

What does that hammer and screwdriver symbol in Therapist mean?

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

megane posted:

Analysis. But it's a weird portmanteau where the 'lysis' and the 'The' part are silent.

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009

IPA Regulations posted:

Meanwhile, owlkisser, who rather than follow HardDiskD back inside decided to charge into the enemy has fared about as well as the other poorly armed and equipped dwarves that wished to share the glory of Jamsque. He is brought down by the crowding zombies - perhaps most horrifically, coming face to face with the battered, reanimated corpse of funktopus and engaging in a desperate clawing melee with it.

Ah, I went down like a true warrior... gutpunching a friend’s corpse while making comments about how I’m totally not bothered by it guys, honestly, this is no big deal.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Veloxyll posted:

That's what we like to hear.
Dwarven megaprojects that may kill everyone!

Addamere fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 26, 2018

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

megane posted:

That's 'construct building'. Most of those dwarves (including you) are hauling basalt or obsidian floor hatches from the mason shops to be constructed over in the corridor at the time of the screenshot (or constructing more hatches at the shops).

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Analysis. But it's a weird portmanteau where the 'lysis' and the 'The' part are silent.

I think I get what you're going for here, though I still couldn't quite say it with 100% confidence. I'm gonna pretend I did either way. I get jokes.

To anyone who saw my name on last reply and thought there was an update, sorry. There'll be an update tomorrow I reckon. I was a bit busier at the beginning of this week than the weekend just past.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

IPA Regulations posted:

I think I get what you're going for here, though I still couldn't quite say it with 100% confidence. I'm gonna pretend I did either way. I get jokes.

Foul Ole Ron fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 26, 2018

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Veloxyll posted:

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

I'm making things! Yay! :downs:

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Hematite, 569

The fourth month of the dwarven calendar in the year 569 began with quiet purpose as the Plan that had consumed so much effort over the year so far rolled into its final stages.

There was a marked reduction in the din from the entranceway as the mining had ceased, while the chipping, hammering and dwarven cursing from the workshop halls increased tenfold as dozens of rock hatch covers got completed at new mason shops by barely-skilled hands and hauled to their planned resting places.

Heat-proofed mechanisms - which the fortress records show were already in plentiful supply at the beginning of the previous month - are also slated for installation en masse. With the stockpile of mechanisms dwindling, more are commissioned at the same time in order to allow the Great Works to continue immediately after the siege is dealt with. Confidence, or dangerous optimism? History will judge.

AJ_Impy places the last hatch in the upper passageway early in the month.

It's around this time, in the first week of Hematite, that it's said the child Overseer took a personal tour of the lower fortress - apparently to supervise the final stages of the lower section of the Project. In the end, this proved a secondary concern. But one thing at a time...

Early in her Overseership, a certain apprehensiveness had been noted at how the lower levels seemed to simply open into the caverns - polished dwarven stonework giving way to the rough cave floor, without any defensive boundary between civilisation and the untamed darkness beyond.

She had ordered hatches to cover the stairways that lead down to the abyss, the corridor where not two years before the Great Snail Beast Iquilaayamu had been slain attempting to enter the Fortress proper.

However, now a different reason took her down here. The final touches to the Plan were being mapped and mined. Wary of exposing the fortress to the dangers of the wild caverns unnecessarily, the drainage outlet was one of the last details ordered to be finished, and had yet to be breached into the cavern (a sensible plan, devised before it became clear that the entire lower level was already exposed to the cavern).

And it was during the overseeing of this breach that a secondary concern of the young Overseer was addressed. Namely, where certain key figures of the fortress - militia leaders, experienced miners, and administrators to name but a few - had gotten to in recent days.

At a cavern pool, close to the edge of the smoothed fortress floor, their backs uniformly turned to the entrance - a gathering of dwarves stood. So still and quiet, we can imagine at first IPA Regulations might have feared the ambulatory dead from outside might have indeed found a way in.

But then the truth became clear, although barely easier to swallow.

In this time of great need, where every dwarf was expected, nay, NEEDED to pull their weight (and the weight of many hatches and mechanisms to various places) Eeep, Phallic Phalanges, Haifisch, Crystalgate, Gideon020, Foul Ole Ron, crimea, namehereguy, SirPhoebos, Veloxyll and YellerBill had planned a quiet fishing trip in the lower levels.

Was this was because of the reduction in workload above meaning the dwarves felt free to indulge in a little break? Or perhaps a rumour spread that fish had in fact once again been sighted in the tiny (surely overfished) pond and the desire to add to the food stockpiles were entirely practical.

Perhaps news of the implications of the Plan had filtered out from the miners, and they wanted to simply enjoy this piece of unsullied cavern wilderness before the great Plan came to fruition and changed it irrevocably.

Or perhaps the demands of an Overseer driven by such singular purpose were too much and this was indeed an act of rebellion against the child's authority, such as it was.

As with the reasons for electing a(nother) 4 year old to leadership in the first place, we may never know.

What we do know is - whether or not it was indeed the child who signed off on the Orders in Valleysilences in 569 - the reaction to this discovery was somewhat characteristic of a toddler wielding absolute authority.

In a quick military reshuffle, the two hammer squads are merged, with the three surviving members of the Icy Portals - megane and Frenzy the Killbot (both legendary hammer wielders) along with the relatively unskilled barkbell - moving to the Fiery Portals.

With a squad now empty and a convenient number of dwarves clearly eager to explore the caverns, an underground expeditionary force - The Live Baiters - is formed from the fishing expedition. Eeep loses command of the 4th reserve squad and Loel is promoted to militia commander in their place. Those unskilled with a weapon in the new squad will follow the Icy Portals tradition and take up a hammer, while anyone with a decent weapon skill is allowed to take their choice. Foul Ole Ron keeps his spear, Crystalgate and Gideon020 keep their axes. YellerBill, crimea and SirPhoebos will wield swords.

Whether in eagerness or in an act of protest, we don't know... but by the account of SoMath, Duchess of Valleysilences who just so happened to be nearby fishing herself as the orders were issued: several of the dwarves promptly stripped and flung their clothes on the rocky shore before going to pickup their equipment.

Let's charitably say eagerness. The fishers hurry upstairs to arm (hopefully) arm and armour themselves, some in various states of undress.

Orders are slow to be validated. The fort has a lot of iron ores needing smelting, not to mention weapons for the new volunteers.

Tunicate sadly gives in to the darkness. Not so sadly, it prevents her from damaging whatever it was that had caught her ire.

A shortcut between the Plan control room and the upper passageway is dug out to expedite the final stage.

It will be extremely important to close this before a live test.

Despite the fact the slabs for the fool hardy corpses outside were ordered engraved, not all of them were placed in time. lamentable dustman is sighted on the 10th close to the gatehouse, scaring the mechanisms out of POOL IS CLOSED. The memorial is ordered placed ASAP.

On the 13th, SoMath, still standing pensively by the pool where not so long ago the fisherdwarves stood, declares the fortress needs buckets.

This serves to remind the Overseer of the new cavern expeditionary force. They are ordered down to an unexplored section of cavern. Hopefully they remember to bring some weapons...

..as reports of strange noises coming from outside the walls of the memorial level filter up through the fortress rumour mill.

Past the mid-point of the month, and the drainage hatches are all but complete. Cage traps are strewn liberally around the corridor.

The investigation into the delay of the work orders shows manager Gnoman busy moonlighting as a personal trainer for SoMath in their own 'squad', the Fit Nobles. Gnoman is promptly kicked out of the army entirely and replaced in this endeavour by Tunicate. Perhaps spending a little time with her will make SoMath appreciate how good she has it.

On the battlements above, burnaboy and HardDiskD of the Rough Toes have found their ammunition and are sporadically plinking at zombies that wander into range. HardHead watches, baby in hand.

https://lpix.org/3157376/17.1burnaboyHarddiskD.png

theshim has creates some fetching hatches.

And the percentage of 'dwarves who are breathing AND active AND inside the fort' once again swings to 100.

An emergency floodgate which had been placed last month and never opened had been preventing miners from reaching a critical Plan area - it is opened, allowing werewhale to enter the cramped, stiflingly hot passageway between the volcano caldera and an existing magma pipe, and begin the final, crucial digging in this area.

On the 22nd, an unnamed farmer gives birth to a boy in the lower fort while dragging a steel anvil to the smelter for melting. An auspicious birth for any dwarf.

Yet another unnamed farmer drops the handful of seeds he was about to sow and hurries away towards the crafting workshops. They begin their construction on the 28th of the month.

Work orders now validated - aptly as Hematite closes - the smelters get busy with their craft. idhrenhur begins adding to the fortress iron stocks in earnest.

While elsewhere, off duty soldier Dog Kisser quiets his soul weaving in the Temple.

The Plan was teetering on the edge of completion. Four months of preparation - but even a single misplaced mechanism could mean complete failure. Not to mention, the most dangerous part of the plan was about to begin...

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
:iit: it was inevitable

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

IPA Regulations posted:

In this time of great need, where every dwarf was expected, nay, NEEDED to pull their weight (and the weight of many hatches and mechanisms to various places) Eeep, Phallic Phalanges, Haifisch, Crystalgate, Gideon020, Foul Ole Ron, crimea, namehereguy, SirPhoebos, Veloxyll and YellerBill had planned a quiet fishing trip in the lower levels.

I don't know about the others, but doing half a year of overseeing was exhausting enough that I needed that fishing vacation. :colbert:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I love the impromptu fishing trip, that's great.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'm just imagining my dwarf reclining with a crossbow on a porch, shooting at zombies and yelling "Get of my lawn!"

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The best kind of dwarven plan: the kind that has critical failure points at every turn (any one of which will spell disaster if not carried out perfectly), and that also must be re-planned and re-confirmed in hundreds of incoherent steps because it constantly runs into ridiculous unforeseen obstacles all over the fort -- things like "the only way into this corridor is slightly warmer than dwarves like, so they have to be told to mine each square separately" or "the fort only has one person qualified to build doors, and for no reason anyone can remember, she's been told to spend all her time making shell necklaces."

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

IPA Regulations posted:

With a squad now empty and a convenient number of dwarves clearly eager to explore the caverns, an underground expeditionary force - The Live Baiters - is formed from the fishing expedition. Eeep loses command of the 4th reserve squad and Loel is promoted to militia commander in their place.

:black101:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

So, I'm currently re-reading Bronzestabbed, and who should have posted in the thread but our overseer?

Past IPA posted:

My current favourite method of playing Dwarf fortress involves building labour intensive amounts of fortifications and hatch systems to prevent unwanted entry into the fort, only to allow a glaringly open path in through not accounting for terrain/mining out the wrong stairwell that inevitably allows a Forgotten Beast into the dining room.

Many dead dwarves guaranteed.

welp

Wraithson
Sep 8, 2011
Can I be dwarfed?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

IPA Regulations posted:

But then the truth became clear, although barely easier to swallow.

I was just following the overseer's orders!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Update tomorrow. You won't like it.