Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The joke here is that Zero saw a vaguely Asian dude and started calling him Charlie Chan while making gong noises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I always saw the Nemoidians and the Gungans as throwbacks to the ethnic stereotype characters that would pop up in the sword and sandal epics that The Phantom Menace was homaging. Whereas those movies would portray real life ethnicities as being subservient to white heroism, in the Phantom Menace the ethnicities aren't real at all and they don't really map well to any kind of real ethnicity, so I don't know how offended to be. It's like the racist imagery in Cuphead. The throughline to the racist origin is undeniable, but it's not really used in any kind of hateful way.

That being said, Yaddo is absolutely an offensive caricature.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

No accent, by itself, is bad (except a new jersey accent). For me, the issue with the Nemoidians is that instead of getting a bunch of people with a certain type of accent to act in the movie they had a bunch of british actors aping an accent instead.

Here is an interesting bit from TheForce.net

quote:

I came across something in the local Marin County (where Skywalker Ranch resides) newspaper last Sunday that seemed of interest - at least I haven't seen anything about it on the web yet.

The IJ (name of paper) has been running a story about TPM every Sunday for the past 3 weeks that features a local person working on the movie. Until last Sunday, I hadn't seen anything in these articles about the movie that seemed new.

Last Sunday's article was about a guy named Matt Wood who works with Ben Burtt on the sound effects. There was a bit about the Neimoidians that seemed interesting. Here's a quote from the article:

"At times, their work led Wood and Burtt to even more exotic realms.

"Take the Neimoidians - a mythical species with reddish eyes and greenish-gray skin whose representatives play a prominent role in Episode 1. "In the film, the actors who play the Neimoidians are British. ""For the longest time, we hadn't figured out what we were going to use for the sound of the Neimoidians,' says Wood. "We tried all different things. Then one day we were working on the Thai version of the trailer and we heard these voices that were very unique. So Ben and I went to L.A. and (recorded) Thai people trying to speak the lines as best they could in their best English.' "In the end, Burtt found the sound he wanted - English actors interpreting a Thai person trying to speak English, Wood says.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Ah yes, that incredibly enduring racial stereotype of the Jew from Brooklyn who *checks notes* runs a mechanic shop and owns slaves?

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Jewmanji posted:

Ah yes, that incredibly enduring racial stereotype of the Jew from Brooklyn who *checks notes* runs a mechanic shop and owns slaves?

Interesting post/av combo. But to answer your point, it's an exaggeration of a stereotype of someone who uses financial devices to avoid honest labor by forcing someone else to do it, which really is an anti-semitic trope.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

What is it the correct accent to speak with?

I see what you’re going for, but your basic complaint is that the aliens aren’t white, and you’re working backwards from there.

For example: “mercantilists whose technologically advanced robots enslave a peace-loving nation and all at the bidding of a man known as ‘Emperor’?”

The Nemoidians get into a lovely business deal with a man known as Darth Sidious. They aren’t specifically mercantilists, and mercantilism is largely understood as a European thing.

Their accents are Thai.

Also, they dress like medieval Christian clergy

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

pospysyl posted:

Interesting post/av combo. But to answer your point, it's an exaggeration of a stereotype of someone who uses financial devices to avoid honest labor by forcing someone else to do it, which really is an anti-semitic trope.

Watto is a slaveholder not a Venetian money lender profiting off of usury.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

K. Waste posted:

Also, they dress like medieval Christian clergy

I thought they looked more like mandarin bureaucrat stereotypes.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I thought they looked more like mandarin bureaucrat stereotypes.

The critical problem with stereotypes is that they're often used to allude to something very general in its perniciousness, when actually stereotypes are quite specific. The Neimoidians don't actually look anything like Asian stereotypes. They look like amphibious aliens, and their costumes/culture isn't particularly orientalist at all. But because they speak in a Thai accent in order to make them sound alien to a predominately English-speaking audience, their physical appearance becomes conflated with a vague idea of what an orientalist stereotype would look like. So the rub is that very many people aren't actually familiar with orientalist stereotypes, either.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

zer0spunk posted:

*space gong randomly sounds off*

If I saw that with no prior context I'd think it was the Space Pope

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

pospysyl posted:

http://www.jewornotjew.com/profile.jsp?ID=122

Straight from the horse’s mouth

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Also note that Zero complained about the Nemoidians' 'slanty eyes', when the dude on the right clearly doesn't have slanted eyes.

If anything, they slant in the opposite direction. Is he a 'white' Nemoidian?

Watto actually has a tiny nose; look at where his nostrils are. What he has is a large, prehensile upper lip.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jun 24, 2018

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's more of a trunk, really.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Bongo Bill posted:

It's more of a trunk, really.

A trunk is a prehensile nose - i.e. with nostrils on the end, like an elephant.

Watto specifically has a prehensile lip, like a rhinoceros.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

By golly, you're right. I hadn't noticed his nostrils were up there before.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I want to see a toydarian with a full neckbeard.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Bongo Bill posted:

By golly, you're right. I hadn't noticed his nostrils were up there before.

Which leads back to the point that this imagery doesn’t align with any actual stereotype. To my knowledge, massive upper lips aren’t a thing.

Watto obviously isn’t white, yet nobody can really say what race he is. He’s both ‘of a race’ and ‘raceless’ in a way that makes people uncomfortable, because the truth is that Watto is just a person. And the Nemoidians are just people. They have personalities, unlike the scenery in the ST.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The Trade Federation were the real heroes of the prequel trilogy.

I relate to them because their two most prominent traits - cowardice and love of money - are ones I share myself.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jun 24, 2018

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
There are heroes on both sides. Evil is everywhere.

But the other interesting fact is that Watto doesn’t actually love money, per se. He rejects Quigon’s offer to pay him 20,000 in credit because he prefers hard cash or bartering.

So Watto simply hates scams. His ‘love’ is making deals and, to a lesser extent, gambling.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The Trade Federation are the only morally upright characters in the entire saga. You can tell this is true, because in the opening crawl it indicates that their grievance is the taxation of trade routes; they are opposed to protectionism which is (as real world experience demonstrates) nothing but a polite form of xenophobia. They want to protect and perpetuate the flow of wealth into the poverty-stricken Outer Rim, but the Republic is trying to strangle it because they are bigoted against non-human beings.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

The Trade Federation are the only morally upright characters in the entire saga. You can tell this is true, because in the opening crawl it indicates that their grievance is the taxation of trade routes; they are opposed to protectionism which is (as real world experience demonstrates) nothing but a polite form of xenophobia.

The Trade Federation hold the captive Naboo in concentration camps.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Jedi propaganda, obviously.

They are also the only ones who acknowledge the rights of droids: the Republic bans droids from serving in their armed forces because of their systemic robophobia, but the Trade Federation allows them to do so freely, to the point where the supreme commander of their fleet is half-droid.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 24, 2018

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
Nute and that second in command guy probably had the "are we the baddies" talk immediately before Phantom Menace as they were watching the death droids being loaded.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

Shanty posted:

Nute and that second in command guy probably had the "are we the baddies" talk immediately before Phantom Menace as they were watching the death droids being loaded.

"Are we the bad guys, Nute?"

"Perhaps... but, no. No. There are heroes on both sides."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hodgepodge posted:

"Are we the bad guys, Nute?"

"Perhaps... but, no. No. There are heroes on both sides."

The ultimate lesson of Star Wars is that the truth is somewhere in the middle.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh my god the sound effect

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh my god the sound effect

I saw this movie with my mom and even she, who was crying like 80% of the movie, started belly-laughing at that sound.

gently caress Tom Hooper.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Well, if 20 grand in the money someone wants to pay you has no value where you would use it, would you take that deal?

If so, I will pay you 1 million Zimbabwean dollars for all of your assets.

Think about it: you could be a millionaire!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Republic credits are stable enough that they were still using them under the Empire, but there was apparently no reliable way to convert them to the local currency, wupiwupi.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

dialhforhero posted:

Well, if 20 grand in the money someone wants to pay you has no value where you would use it, would you take that deal?

If so, I will pay you 1 million Zimbabwean dollars for all of your assets.

Think about it: you could be a millionaire!

It’s a bit different than that. Watto’s specific objection is that Republic Credits aren’t real. And what he means by that becomes clear in a few scenes:

Padme: “I can't believe there's still slavery in the galaxy. The Republic's antislavery laws...”
Shmii: “The Republic doesn't exist out here. We must survive on our own.”

There’s a common assumption that Tatooine isn’t part of the Republic, but that’s not what Shmii says. Shmii says the rule of law does not exist out there. That’s why Padme is confused, and Quigon at least tries to use the credits: Tatooine is, theoretically, supposed to be under Republic jurisdiction. But it’s not.

And so, in a directly analogous way, Watto should accept Republic credits. But he doesn’t. The Republic doesn’t exist out there. Quigon’s like trying to walk into a chop shop and pay with Mastercard.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 24, 2018

Counteresperanto
Jun 15, 2007

Achievement is its' own reward. Pride obscures it.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Jedi propaganda, obviously.

They are also the only ones who acknowledge the rights of droids: the Republic bans droids from serving in their armed forces because of their systemic robophobia, but the Trade Federation allows them to do so freely, to the point where the supreme commander of their fleet is half-droid.

There's one interesting scene as Nute confers with a battle droid commander, where Nute urges the droid to "Use caution. These Jedi are not to be underestimated."

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Porgs, my dear goons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yw6z9G7p1g

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Jenny Nicholson seems like good people.

Caros
May 14, 2008

I died at the second target porg that exists only to gaslight her.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

Jenny Nicholson seems like good people.

Someone’s crushin hard

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Every Star War fan should endeavor to be like Jenny Nicholson tbh.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Counteresperanto posted:

There's one interesting scene as Nute confers with a battle droid commander, where Nute urges the droid to "Use caution. These Jedi are not to be underestimated."

This is expanded on in the Clone Wars series where there are several droid military leaders on the separatist side and it's no big to them.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The droid officers were also mass-produced and compelled to obey, they were just programmed for tactics and command, if I remember right.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Bongo Bill posted:

The droid officers were also mass-produced and compelled to obey, they were just programmed for tactics and command, if I remember right.

Well, the point with those guys is that the commands from the ‘droid control ship’ are actually extremely general. The individual droids requite a lot of autonomy to function, which is why they speak English to each other and need squad leaders to coordinate things.

Contrast with the ST droids, where it’s like whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It is made abundantly clear in the movies that the Trade Federation - the core ethos of the trade Federation - is all about the economic empowerment of minorities, which is why the government of the Republic wants to destroy them.