Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
This has probably been answered, but search isn't working for me for some reason.

Why can't I use 2 Glimmering or 2 Vitality with Study to gain +1 Passion or +1 Health suddenly? It worked once, the UI shows that I should be able to do it, but I can't click [S]tart, it's faded out.

e: And just as I click submit I figure it out. I have to Study Stronger Physique/Vivid Imagination...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Oldstench posted:

This has probably been answered, but search isn't working for me for some reason.

Why can't I use 2 Glimmering or 2 Vitality with Study to gain +1 Passion or +1 Health suddenly? It worked once, the UI shows that I should be able to do it, but I can't click [S]tart, it's faded out.

It only works the first time. After that you have to use skills or books.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Pirate Radar posted:

It only works the first time. After that you have to use skills or books.

But now I'm confused. I need 4 Vitality with Stronger Physique to gain another health. It takes 1 minute to Study Health to gain +1 Vitality, and Vitality only last 3 minutes. Therefore you can never gain the 4 Vitality needed. I must be missing something.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Oldstench posted:

But now I'm confused. I need 4 Vitality with Stronger Physique to gain another health. It takes 1 minute to Study Health to gain +1 Vitality, and Vitality only last 3 minutes. Therefore you can never gain the 4 Vitality needed. I must be missing something.

There’s more than one way to gain Vitality, Glimmerings, and Erudition.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Pirate Radar posted:

There’s more than one way to gain Vitality, Glimmerings, and Erudition.

Thanks. I figured I was missing stuff.

Also, this UI is trash. Really wish there was a 2d option.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
you can hold cards in an active box indefinitely as well

Oldstench posted:

Thanks. I figured I was missing stuff.

Also, this UI is trash. Really wish there was a 2d option.

a lot of my card organization problems were solved when i loaded up the beta and turned on the 1/4 card snap to grid option

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So, can any summoned being teach me a language or is that a pipe dream? I figure one of these demons ought to know Deep Mandaic or whatever.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Yes, some of them can.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Speedball posted:

So, can any summoned being teach me a language or is that a pipe dream? I figure one of these demons ought to know Deep Mandaic or whatever.

King Crucible, Ezeem, and the Baldomerian can if you have a lot of Forge, Grail, and Lantern respectively.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Speedball posted:

There are greater powers than your friendly local legmass. They can serve as teachers.

One of them is a real loving poser to figure out unless you get the lore that gives you the hint, though.

The Watchman illuminates even the histories.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What do you mean I can use map directions as a summoning incantation?!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Synthbuttrange posted:

What do you mean I can use map directions as a summoning incantation?!

It's really just you tossing one of those "Come to *location* in the next ten minutes for an rear end-kicking" posts in written form into a flame.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Midnight Voyager posted:

It's really just you tossing one of those "Come to *location* in the next ten minutes for an rear end-kicking" posts in written form into a flame.

I finally accomplished this. Surprisingly, she still has a human form when summoned. I bet she's anything but underneath.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
ive beaten the game but the two of you above me i do not understand what you're referencing

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Verviticus posted:

ive beaten the game but the two of you above me i do not understand what you're referencing

You know how you can drop lore into a rite slot and it'll give you suggestions on things you might want to do with it?

Try putting in some Secret Histories (the "explore for dungeon quest" lore) and see what it suggests.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I summoned the most terrifying of all monsters, a flat earther.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Decided to do a Heart cult this time, and it's actually kind of fun. Contentment's got Heart on it so that helped kick people up to Disciple, and once I got to Heart Lore 8 I summoned a Percussgiant, which had Heart 8, and maxed out my Heart Disciples in what I can only imagine was an enormous dance party.

As long as I'm not making GBS threads Mystique all over the place like a protective ink cloud I can just snuff Notoriety out.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

gently caress gently caress gently caress I tried talking to the hunter and now they're a grim idealist tenacious and meticulous. fuuuck

and all of my edge and moth disciples vanished trying to get rid of her or the evidence!

e:
hahahah she distracted me to the point where I didnt realize my dread had built up. D:

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jun 27, 2018

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Any good ways of getting contentment that I miss? Moonlit streets and the club???

Edit: Wait, why was there a fascination ticker on the other side of the table. Oh well.

genericnick fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 27, 2018

Dragonturtle
Feb 23, 2017

You can convert a fund to a contentment with one of the verbs too along with painting sometimes giving them as well.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Just put a fund into dreaming. You'll get a Contentment after 30 seconds. It warns you that it can make you become ill if you do it too much, but I've never had anything happen.

This is typically the best way to do it because Dreaming only takes 30 seconds, so even if you stack 3 Dread cards you'll have enough time to get a Contentment off.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Synthbuttrange posted:

gently caress gently caress gently caress I tried talking to the hunter and now they're a grim idealist tenacious and meticulous. fuuuck

and all of my edge and moth disciples vanished trying to get rid of her or the evidence!

e:
hahahah she distracted me to the point where I didnt realize my dread had built up. D:

I refer to those hunters as Batman.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

genericnick posted:

Any good ways of getting contentment that I miss? Moonlit streets and the club???

Painting. Paint with four passion, and you'll pop out 0-3 contentment.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
If you exclusively paint as a job, you can just keep a Contentment around for a while by always using it for inspiration.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I do that with restlessness later in the game. Can easily keep a "dread" around doing that.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

dogstile posted:

I do that with restlessness later in the game. Can easily keep a "dread" around doing that.

You talk about it or something, right? Actually painting with restlessness burns it off.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Painting with 1 passion eats restlessness, but any if the bigger imagination skills preserve the emotion you slot in as inspiration, I believe.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
Nope, the slot always eats Restlessness. Anything else will be preserved, though.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

genericnick posted:

Edit: Wait, why was there a fascination ticker on the other side of the table. Oh well.

Dreaming with Funds is by far the best way of generating Contentment on demand. Dreaming of the Orchard of Lights is a Fund free way that uses a low-value verb, but risks grabbing a card that decays into Fascination. The Moonlit Streets and the Club both use the most important verb in the mid-game (which is most of the game).

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Feels like we should really get extra verbs later in the game to reflect a larger cult size. I've got two dozen cultists, let me use them, give more than one at a time tasks! More exploration/talk makes the most sense. Dream and work can stay as singles. Hm, maybe an extra study if you have the right kind of cultist?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Glazius posted:

You talk about it or something, right? Actually painting with restlessness burns it off.

I did actually get those confused. It's been a couple weeks since I played.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Synthbuttrange posted:

Feels like we should really get extra verbs later in the game to reflect a larger cult size. I've got two dozen cultists, let me use them, give more than one at a time tasks! More exploration/talk makes the most sense. Dream and work can stay as singles. Hm, maybe an extra study if you have the right kind of cultist?

I would love a way to get an extra Study just for the convenience.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
I skimmed through the first few pages and couldn't find an answer, so how do you actually enter the Mansus? Morland's has run dry so right now I'm just spinning, not knowing how to get further.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

OscarDiggs posted:

I skimmed through the first few pages and couldn't find an answer, so how do you actually enter the Mansus? Morland's has run dry so right now I'm just spinning, not knowing how to get further.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Morland's is closed, I can't figure out how to get any more lore fragments consistently, can't answer the Stag door riddle, and don't really know what to do next.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Oldstench posted:

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Morland's is closed, I can't figure out how to get any more lore fragments consistently, can't answer the Stag door riddle, and don't really know what to do next.

The last spoilery way to say it is to ask whether you've been diligent about combining piece of lore.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Oldstench posted:

I don't even know what the Stag Door riddle is. Is it part of the Mansus? If I solve it can I go there?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

OscarDiggs posted:

How would you enter a place that's not corporeal?

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Lichtenstein posted:

How would you enter a place that's not corporeal?

I have no idea, and don't know why you would ask that. Except to assume that since you did bring it up, the Mansus is not corporeal in some way? That's more then what I had to go on before at least; I'll check the lore cards for what seems closest to ethereal things.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

OscarDiggs posted:

Dream about your Passion. I'm sure you can figure out the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
You guys should dream more

Stag door spoiler:

lore level 6