Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

[ ] Sally forth and fight the pack of manhunter tiberium bears.
[x] Lock the doors and smoke a lot of weed.

edit: houseguest missed the memo

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
whats those bundles of things he's dropped? Is that a firewood mod or something?

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
1.0 sounds dope, and I get to retire my mod. :cheers:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Pharnakes posted:

whats those bundles of things he's dropped? Is that a firewood mod or something?

Wooden bracers from medieval times.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Nut to Butt posted:

1.0 sounds dope, and I get to retire my mod. :cheers:
Prepare Carefully seems to be orphaned if you'd like to give a stab at porting it

https://github.com/edbmods/EdBPrepareCarefully

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

ShadowHawk posted:

Prepare Carefully seems to be orphaned if you'd like to give a stab at porting it

Please do, that's the only mod I want to use! :)

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ShadowHawk posted:

Prepare Carefully is like multiple orders of magnitude more complicated than any of the mods I've ever worked on. It totally eclipses my very modest skill, unfortunately.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Nut to Butt posted:

Prepare Carefully is like multiple orders of magnitude more complicated than any of the mods I've ever worked on. It totally eclipses my very modest skill, unfortunately.

That's fine, I guess that's why it's been orphaned.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Nut to Butt posted:

I've looked at the code before, and I feel like it's unnecessarily complicated. It's almost deliberately obfuscated.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I've looked at the code before, and I feel like it's unnecessarily complicated. It's almost deliberately obfuscated.

I took a couple looks at it just now and I think a couple reasons for that maybe is (1) it seems to basically duplicate RimWorld's generation code for the pawns, and (2) the point based system. If it was possible to just strip that all out somehow, it probably wouldn't be very complicated at all.

I hope ~someone~ can port it or make a new version for 1.0 ~eventually~... playing without it is .. interesting.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Does it just have the generation thing so people can hit the randomize button to make pawns?

If you remove the ability to create random stats for pawns, maybe you don't need that.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Are random quests the only way to get the AI persona core? I'm really keen to start a new colony and given that I'm still on my first one I thought I would try and launch everyone into space and then start fresh.

I'm playing randy random and I don't know if it's a mod that broke something, or just random chance, but the quests have really dried up in the last year or so of play time.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
unless something has changed recently, the poison/psi ships that fall from the sky and gently caress up everything can frequently drop an AI persona core upon destruction.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
That was removed in B18 but some mods add them back in or change the drops around so figuring out what's affecting it can be a pain.

In vanilla you have to wait for a quest to be offered though.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
You could just head out to the ai ship though. Road trip!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

McGiggins posted:

You could just head out to the ai ship though. Road trip!

It's so far away and my ship is ready to go! It's kind of annoying you can only get it from random quests. Might just debug one in soon.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
If you're open to modding then Sparkling Worlds is a good mod all around that also makes crashed ships drop 'Malicious AI Cores' that can be reprogrammed into normal cores. It also adds a bunch of crafting options for glitterworld stuff while being decently balanced.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Trying 1.0 now. Naked brutal is hard, but fun hard.

Somehow my naked man answered a distress call on his non-existant radio, and a naked bartender turned up, who immediately drank 3 beers. Then both my naked men bum rushed the club equipped dude chasing the bartender, who they beat and captured.

Prisoner died in a day or two of wakeup withdrawal, and the bartender died the day after of alchohol withdrawal.

Must have been one loving party.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

on the other hand, free meat

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
also you can make these!

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

ShadowHawk posted:

Tynan posted about 1.0 balance decisions: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=41839.msg411933#msg411933

I think that last point is the most relevant. The intent seems to be to make the game generally easier and simultaneously nerf the top strategies, so that a much larger play space is viable. The betas were dramatically more fun for me when I'd "play like a noob" on a lower difficulty setting. The intent of the balance decisions is to capture some of that fun.

It's weird, I was already to post a bunch of poo poo about idiot game devs why would they even think that's a good idea, but

Those are a bunch of extremely reasonable explanations, sounds good.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Man it is so hard to play unstable without all the QoL mods.

I know tynan has said he's planning on no new features, but I'm really hoping after he puts down his tools he'll allow some of the nicer QoL mods to be natively integrated by some of the more well-known/trusted mod authors.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Herstory Begins Now posted:

It's weird, I was already to post a bunch of poo poo about idiot game devs why would they even think that's a good idea, but

Those are a bunch of extremely reasonable explanations, sounds good.

I wish this happened more instead of the other way around

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Are there any alternatives to the Centralized Climate Control mod? I can't get it to work and don't know why. It shows on the research tab but there is nothing under the Climate tab it adds.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

The General posted:

I would like more options for preserving food. I've always found it kinda dumb that the most important thing to do is get a freezer up ASAP to make sure you can have enough food to survive. Refrigeration is relatively new to us, and it's not like before that all anybody ate was pemmican.
Check out the mod RimCuisine. It's sort of like vegetable garden in that it adds crop and food preparation options, but it just adds food options that are very vanilla in style. No OP stews that add fucktons of manipulation and movement or whatever. This includes various cheap means of preserving food which take the edge off of needing a freezer. You'll want one, but it's more of a luxury than pure necessity. I did eliminate the steel requirement for canning (late game food preservation) in my copy of it on the grounds that it was dumb, but that's an easy fix.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The one thing I want added to the game that can't be modded is directional lighting.

Like, build a light, and it shines in a specific direction.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
There's a really hacky mod that adds them! Though not really useful anymore with the changes to firing at people in darkness.
Spotlight Turrets.

I'm pretty sure it just works by moving a small light grid about on the ground instead of actual directional lighting but still works well.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah I was more wanting it specifically for aesthetics.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a mod that helps me manage what devices receive power when I don't have enough power to power everything, like, during an eclipse? Would be nice if I could set high priority on my coolers

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

resting bort face posted:

Is there a mod that helps me manage what devices receive power when I don't have enough power to power everything, like, during an eclipse? Would be nice if I could set high priority on my coolers

you do this in vanilla by just switching individual machines off or using power switches (https://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Power_switch). there's not really a mod that says "if power grid < this turn off x instead of y" because that sort of intelligence would require a fairly fundamental reordering of how electricity works in game.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

resting bort face posted:

One of the mods I used for the kill room Power Logic has a 'Capacitor Sensor Switch' that monitors the current amount of power on all of your batteries and can be set to trigger at certain thresholds to unconnect/reconnect things.

Each one can be set to different amounts so you could create different power feeds triggered to turn off at various levels.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jun 24, 2018

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

OwlFancier posted:

The one thing I want added to the game that can't be modded is directional lighting.

Like, build a light, and it shines in a specific direction.

The LED Technology mod has this.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Holy poo poo you people complain about matching outfits when your clothes are made from super resilient mushroom fibers and thrumbo fur?

Also you're stranded on a death planet?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

LegoMan posted:

Holy poo poo you people complain about matching outfits when your clothes are made from super resilient mushroom fibers and thrumbo fur?

Also you're stranded on a death planet?

Rimworld: First Colony Problems

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I thought it was particularly stupid since I had everyone wearing cultist robes anyway. It's called a UNIFORM guys.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I'm using EPOE to craft bionics right now, and pretty much all of my guys are missing at least 1 rib. Is this worth fixing? Also is there a way to replace a regular rib, not any of the fancy drug dispensing ribs?

Maslovo
Oct 12, 2016

A Moose posted:

I'm using EPOE to craft bionics right now, and pretty much all of my guys are missing at least 1 rib. Is this worth fixing? Also is there a way to replace a regular rib, not any of the fancy drug dispensing ribs?

EPOE Basic Replacements.

"dninemfive [author posted:

"]
@Binarypasta Ribs don't do anything except block damage from certain attacks by being destroyed, so giving them less than 100% efficiency wouldn't do anything.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

A Moose posted:

One of the EPOE ribs improves consciousness by %3, so yes, it's worth it to replace the entire ribcage with those.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Better Infestations is better until six hives have spawned in a cave rear end-deep in untouched territory and you don't realize until it's hit critical mass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Just wall it off, and maybe resettle your colony on a new tile.

People don't really like to do the whole resettle thing, which is a shame, as it could be a really interesting way of extending a game.

Got a problem you can't beat? Caravan out with whatever you can grab and carry on short notice and vamoose to less hostile climes. I'm playing a tribal start at the moment and that's my long term game strategy.