Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

10 Beers posted:

Anyone recommend any good British detective shows? I've watched Luther, Vexed, Sherlock, and Broadchurch. Tried to get into Marcella but it didn't grab me. Also have Bosch and Longmire on my watch list, though those arent British.

Midsomer Murders is about the whitest, most middle class detective show on Netflix. It's a good entry into the greater Bergerac Cinematic Universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

This is most likely very true.

u gotta work on that man

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006

10 Beers posted:

Anyone recommend any good British detective shows? I've watched Luther, Vexed, Sherlock, and Broadchurch. Tried to get into Marcella but it didn't grab me. Also have Bosch and Longmire on my watch list, though those arent British.

Just watched Line of duty and that was amazing so that's my British detective show recommendation

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Uh Sherlock Hound streaming anywhere?
https://youtu.be/xKsFURf7C18
Good Lord this aged like fine wine

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

I tried watching this thinking it would be good bad... but it was just bad bad and I couldnt finish it.

this is a bad bad opinion

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

10 Beers posted:

Whoa whoa how has no one said Killing Eve

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Junkie Disease posted:

Uh Sherlock Hound streaming anywhere?
https://youtu.be/xKsFURf7C18
Good Lord this aged like fine wine

Miyazaki's style is so appealing with anthropomorphic character designs.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

air- posted:

Whoa whoa how has no one said Killing Eve

Killing Eve is all over the place. It's made by an American network (with a British parent), takes place in Britain, with a Canadian star.

vaginadeathgrip
Jun 18, 2003

all them bitches can't handle my sassy ass mouth
Uplifting movies that make me feel not bad about the world

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I'm not sure if it's streaming anywhere but Alien: Covenant is fuckin dope.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Field Mousepad posted:

It's on HBO Now/Go.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Field Mousepad posted:

Seconding the recommendation. All the characters are disposable and the script is garbage but that movie has atmosphere for fuckin' days. It is essentially a Hammer Horror film.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Dr Phibes remake with Michael Fassbender when

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Field Mousepad posted:

I hated it. It has some cool scenes but overall I have never experienced a movie where the writers had such obvious contempt for their audience.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Both Covenant and Prometheus seemed to me like a bunch of cool looking atmospheric scenes that work on their own but don't make sense together.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Prometheus and Covenant are both visually fantastic and have a great atmosphere, but they both exist to explain things that didn't need to, and shouldn't have been explained. It's like if the Star Wars prequels didn't look like rear end and had a better cast.

I really want to love both of those movies because they nail the vibe I like in Sci-Fi but I just walked out of both of them feeling a little miffed.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Alien: Covenant was the worst experience in a theater I had last year

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Now that sandler is steaming only I second this

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

K. Waste posted:

The problem with watching movies ironically is that you end up priming yourself to dislike things that are actually good but just weird and unconventional.

I def watched it ironically the first time but I ended up actually liking it and enjoying its weird gonzo tone. It’s a good flick.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Imagine how broken your eyes and ears and brain would have to be to think Port of Call is a bad movie.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I hated it. It has some cool scenes but overall I have never experienced a movie where the writers had such obvious contempt for their audience.

Weird thoughts.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

veni veni veni posted:

Prometheus and Covenant are both visually fantastic and have a great atmosphere, but they both exist to explain things that didn't need to, and shouldn't have been explained. It's like if the Star Wars prequels didn't look like rear end and had a better cast.

I really want to love both of those movies because they nail the vibe I like in Sci-Fi but I just walked out of both of them feeling a little miffed.

They're both good movies set in the Aliens universe. Everyone knows the story already, that's not why they were made.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Junkie Disease posted:

Now that sandler is steaming only I second this

He's been solely a steaming pile for some time now.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Alien Covenant was so loving dumb and not scary or interesting at all. Prometheus was far better.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Why would that be a good thing. Honestly we need more movies with that attitude.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Something about Prometheus and Covenant feels like they wanted to make hard scifi with religous themes and heavy symbolism, but had to put xenomorphs in the script to get the studio to fund them.

Mr. Toodles
Jun 22, 2004

I support prison abolition, except for posters without avatars.
I've been watching the new season of Luke Cage with closed captioning on, and they change the dialogue of the Jamaican characters to reflect an American syntax, for lack of a better term. They do slip in some, what I assume is, Patois, but its easy enough to know what they are saying in context. It's really weird to see and hear.

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

Mr. Toodles posted:

I've been watching the new season of Luke Cage with closed captioning on, and they change the dialogue of the Jamaican characters to reflect an American syntax, for lack of a better term. They do slip in some, what I assume is, Patois, but its easy enough to know what they are saying in context. It's really weird to see and hear.

The Jamaican accents were why I turned on the closed captioning too. They leaned into the accents a little too heavily in some scenes. There were plenty of instances where the captions tried to capture what they were saying exactly: keeping "Breddren" instead of "Brethren" for example, and those were just as jarring as when they turned "me choose war" into "I choose to fight" or something similar.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

"Subtitles for white Americans provided by an all-white jury all-black translation team."

Mr. Toodles
Jun 22, 2004

I support prison abolition, except for posters without avatars.

The MSJ posted:

"Subtitles for white Americans provided by an all-white jury all-black translation team."

Yeah, but if you're going to change that you might as well do a pop-up video style thought bubbles for the references that fly over the head of white america too. Plus the changes were ridiculous like rzal said.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

deoju posted:

Something about Prometheus and Covenant feels like they wanted to make hard scifi with religous themes and heavy symbolism, but had to put xenomorphs in the script to get the studio to fund them.

I dunno what seems "hard" about the scifi in these films both otherwise agreed.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

Prometheus and Covenant explain almost nothing, at least in terms of "answers" to questions from the previous films.

They reveal what the Space Jockey looked like, that's about it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I just want a movie of The Forever War already.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I dunno what seems "hard" about the scifi in these films both otherwise agreed.

In Prometheus it seemed more forced, the homonculus xeno in Covenant is perfect and I wouldn’t trade it for the world

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
What's the story with these 4k UHD streaming rentals on Amazon? Do any of them use HDR and are they actually streaming at 4k in most instances? I have all the required equipment of course but I was under the impression legit 4k streaming is still mostly limited to Netflix Originals and Planet Earth.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

DeimosRising posted:

In Prometheus it seemed more forced, the homonculus xeno in Covenant is perfect and I wouldn’t trade it for the world

Some angry dude on twitter described that as "the spaceballs scene played straight" and I was like "Well I have to find out what this irate dude means by that, because otherwise I'm gonna spend the rest of my life pondering that idea" so I saw the movie

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Basebf555 posted:

What's the story with these 4k UHD streaming rentals on Amazon? Do any of them use HDR and are they actually streaming at 4k in most instances? I have all the required equipment of course but I was under the impression legit 4k streaming is still mostly limited to Netflix Originals and Planet Earth.
From what I’ve heard, only Apple is streaming 4K in any reasonable quality. Amazon and Netflix do support HDR but not all of their 4K content is HDR. I’ve heard that Netflix (for instance) dedicated less bandwidth than a normal Blu-Ray for a 4K stream.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Some angry dude on twitter described that as "the spaceballs scene played straight" and I was like "Well I have to find out what this irate dude means by that, because otherwise I'm gonna spend the rest of my life pondering that idea" so I saw the movie

I haven't seen Covenant, so it's fun to think of all the possibilities. Like someone jumping into an escape pod backwards and mistaking a xenomorph's hands for a seat belt. Or the movie ends when we learn from a news report that the xenomorph locked himself in a car and then ate himself to death.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

david_a posted:

From what I’ve heard, only Apple is streaming 4K in any reasonable quality. Amazon and Netflix do support HDR but not all of their 4K content is HDR. I’ve heard that Netflix (for instance) dedicated less bandwidth than a normal Blu-Ray for a 4K stream.

That's in line with what I've been hearing, but on the other hand I streamed Planet Earth II yesterday and it definitely was a much higher resolution than 1080p.

There's some 4k movies that are free on Prime so I'll test one out when I get home from work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

That's in line with what I've been hearing, but on the other hand I streamed Planet Earth II yesterday and it definitely was a much higher resolution than 1080p.

There's some 4k movies that are free on Prime so I'll test one out when I get home from work.

4k isn't just a resolution bump, it's also a color depth bump. Yeah, could be higher resolution, but not HDR,.