Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

DreadCthulhu posted:

I'm a big fan of games that are a little out there and are more like experiences / art exhibits than something you have to win at. e.g. Journey, Everything, etc. What are some titles in that realm that I might also enjoy?

Gone Home? Tacoma?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Forgot to mention ABZU as well. Still no idea What the Christ I'm supposed to do in there, but it's beautiful, the soundtrack is great (a little too Journey inspired?) and fish are cool, I guess.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Is there a game out that has a better version of the Assasins Creed 3 homesteading system? I really liked the whole set up of finding people as you played the main story to build up your home (which you saw the effects of), but in ac3 all it did was just make the numbers go higher. Similar to that was playing Mount and Blade with some mods that allowed you to get a castle and build/recruit more.

I guess I just want more stardew valley but less cheerful and with more violence/consequences?

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017

Metal Cat fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 23, 2021

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

DreadCthulhu posted:

I'm a big fan of games that are a little out there and are more like experiences / art exhibits than something you have to win at. e.g. Journey, Everything, etc. What are some titles in that realm that I might also enjoy?

Shadow of the Colossus, Hellblade, SOMA.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

DreadCthulhu posted:

LIMBO
INSIDE
Little Nightmares

(There still puzzles and stealth sections, but they are pretty tame. The art direction and world building is what defines these games.)

The old "Myst" titles also had some interesting visuals for their time. But i don't know if you would like the adventure puzzles and their moon logic.

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jun 24, 2018

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

DreadCthulhu posted:

Seconding Abzu. Just chill out and swim with whales and dinosaurs

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!

OutofSight posted:

LIMBO
INSIDE
Little Nightmares

(There still puzzles and stealth sections, but they are pretty tame. The art direction and world building is what defines these games.)

Funny you should mention that, I just checked out Inside for the first time yesterday and was totally blown away by it. Little Nightmares seems in that same vein as well, will definitely check it out. Is Limbo still worth playing given that, I believe, it's their first game? Does it age well?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

ughhhh posted:

Is there a game out that has a better version of the Assasins Creed 3 homesteading system? I really liked the whole set up of finding people as you played the main story to build up your home (which you saw the effects of), but in ac3 all it did was just make the numbers go higher. Similar to that was playing Mount and Blade with some mods that allowed you to get a castle and build/recruit more.

I guess I just want more stardew valley but less cheerful and with more violence/consequences?

I'd be curious about this too. Apparently Farcry Primal has a slightly more involved set-up (rescuing/recruiting people into your tribe, with each one having their own skill tree to invest in) but I'm not sure if it's quite what you're after.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

ughhhh posted:

You might find the Sim Settlements mod for Fallout 4 interesting. It's a huge extension of the base game settlement building and one of the recent-ish updates allows you to assign npc companions as "mayors" of settlements for various bonuses to their development. It's also set up to be extremely modular so there are a bunch of other mods that add more content.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
I really would like a building/economy game akin to Rimworld (not Dwarf Fortress please), with npcs who act autonomously and who do their own thing. Alternatively maybe an RPG or Tactical RPG with party members who act on their own. Something like Majesty 1+2 perhaps, where you are the mayor of a town and control heroes by setting rewards for certain quests. A game which allows you to control things on a grand scale, but without the need to micro-manage things.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 24, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Hammerstein posted:

I really would like a building/economy game akin to Rimworld (not Dwarf Fortress please), with npcs who act autonomously and who do their own thing. Alternatively maybe an RPG or Tactical RPG with party members who act on their own. Something like Majesty 1+2 perhaps, where you are the mayor of a town and control heroes by setting rewards for certain quests. A game which allows you to control things on a grand scale, but without the need to micro-manage things.

Have you ever tried Drox Operative? It's a very unique game where you play Diablo in space upgrading your ship, recruiting crew members and influencing the balance of power while all the alien factions essentially play a 4X game around you. It's 5bux on Steam and there's a demo.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Hammerstein posted:

Prison architect maybe?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Hammerstein posted:

Aven Colony and Surviving Mars come to mind.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You might find the Sim Settlements mod for Fallout 4 interesting. It's a huge extension of the base game settlement building and one of the recent-ish updates allows you to assign npc companions as "mayors" of settlements for various bonuses to their development. It's also set up to be extremely modular so there are a bunch of other mods that add more content.

I was looking at those mods since I have fallout 4, but I was looking for a more polished package. It seems that kind of content only exists in the realm of mods (fallout itself only added stuff for it in expansions and had a bare system for settlements in the base game).

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Hammerstein posted:

During the steam sale, steam recommend a game called Rise to Ruin to me. I bought it because it was cheap and I had a simulation itch, and it's been pretty good for the 5 hours I've played of it. Maybe look at that?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Hammerstein posted:

Oxygen Not Included is extremely Rimworld

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Evilreaver posted:

Minus the random barbarians and madness falling out of the sky.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

ughhhh posted:

Ni No Kuni II? EDIT: although it's pretty aggressively loving cheerful

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Have you ever tried Drox Operative? It's a very unique game where you play Diablo in space upgrading your ship, recruiting crew members and influencing the balance of power while all the alien factions essentially play a 4X game around you. It's 5bux on Steam and there's a demo.

I played a demo of that, long before it came to Steam. Back then it was just a Diablo-esque loot grinder in space. If they have tacked on an evolving universe then I might give it another spin. Maybe I should give Distant Worlds another try too.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Prison architect maybe?

I was eyeing that, but it's just Rimworld again, only this time you're a prison director. Supposedly a good game, but I was looking for something else.

Lorini posted:

Aven Colony and Surviving Mars come to mind.

I'm gonna take a look at Aven Colony.

I bought Surviving Mars when it came out and used the Steam refund option after less than 2 hours, since the game felt like a drag. Extending the single player experience by making everything take forever turned me off.

ninjewtsu posted:

During the steam sale, steam recommend a game called Rise to Ruin to me. I bought it because it was cheap and I had a simulation itch, and it's been pretty good for the 5 hours I've played of it. Maybe look at that?

I bought Rise to Ruin in 2017 during early access. Guess I need to check if it has evolved since then. It felt like a rather minimalistic "build village+tower defense" back then.

Evilreaver posted:

I might check that out, it's 40% off at the moment.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. Sorry for being a difficult customer, it's probably cause I've been a gamer since the days of the ZX Spectrum and I notice that my attention span in the recent years has really shortened. Every game is starting to feel as if I have already played it in some form.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hammerstein posted:

I played a demo of that, long before it came to Steam. Back then it was just a Diablo-esque loot grinder in space. If they have tacked on an evolving universe then I might give it another spin. Maybe I should give Distant Worlds another try too.

I bought Rise to Ruin in 2017 during early access. Guess I need to check if it has evolved since then. It felt like a rather minimalistic "build village+tower defense" back then.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. Sorry for being a difficult customer, it's probably cause I've been a gamer since the days of the ZX Spectrum and I notice that my attention span in the recent years has really shortened. Every game is starting to feel as if I have already played it in some form.

Nah, you're fine.

- You want to give Distant Worlds a deeper look, it sounds a lot like it has the depth and complexity you're looking for. I've been throwing myself at it with the aid of youtube tutorials and it's good.
- Drox Operative is still a Diablo loot grinder in space, and yep, it has a real good 4X game/evolving universe around it. Try the demo, that'll show you how it goes.
- Rise to Ruins is still kind of minimalistic, but pleasing? I don't think it'll hit the depth you're looking for.

Have you played KeeperRL?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I just got a PS4 after years of being XBox-only, and naturally I immediately marathoned Horizon Zero Dawn and God of War, and now I have The Last of Us on deck. After that, though, I find myself with some time to fill before AC:Odyssey and RDR2 come out in October.

Are there any "essential" PS4 games I should look into? For context I tend to prefer story-based games like the games above, Witcher 3, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, that sort of thing. People have told me Bloodborne, but from what I've heard the major appeal there seems to be the combat system and that is arguably the least important element of a game to me (within reason).

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Read the description of Dragon Quest Builders. If it looks like a game you might like, just know it’s really really good.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Yeah, Builders looks like a normal Minecraftbut but it's actually really fun.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

Have you played KeeperRL?

Never heard about that. Just gave it a look and bought it, it's not as complex as similar games but really fun. Thanks for this.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Looking for recommendations for "hero party" games like Guild Wars 1 and the ground combat in Star Trek Online. Not the type where your NPCs are too weak and/or stupid to survive without you; I mean the sort where they can eventually roll through enemies like a hot knife through butter, leaving you to do quest objectives and whatnot.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

ShakeZula posted:

I just got a PS4 after years of being XBox-only, and naturally I immediately marathoned Horizon Zero Dawn and God of War, and now I have The Last of Us on deck. After that, though, I find myself with some time to fill before AC:Odyssey and RDR2 come out in October.

Are there any "essential" PS4 games I should look into? For context I tend to prefer story-based games like the games above, Witcher 3, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, that sort of thing. People have told me Bloodborne, but from what I've heard the major appeal there seems to be the combat system and that is arguably the least important element of a game to me (within reason).

Yakuza 0

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

I enthusiastically agree with this reply

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I forgot to mention it, but I did play and enjoy Yakuza 6, so this is a possibility. How do they compare?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I grabbed Origin Access because steam sales for games I don't already own were tepid as poo poo. So I guess general recommendations for it would be nice.

What I'm really here for though is asking what the best Need for Speed game in there is. I played an okay but not too huge amount of Underground 2 back in like 2006. That's it, that's the only racing game I've ever played besides the very first Trackmania on LAN around the turn of the millenium. I got my first ever controller (XBox wireless) recently though, and figure I want to try some racers, and why not start with ones I can play for free? I see the two most recent ones have...rather poor critic scores though. So who better to tell a complete ignoramus what to play than goons?

For my preferences as far as I do know them, lacking knowledge about both cars and racing games. I mostly want to relax with single-player races, I hate 'realistic' stuff for the most part - I'm definitely more partial to races that lean towards the Trackmania side of things rather than the racing simulator side, crazy tracks and unrealistic physics is a-okay and boring simplistic tracks are the worst. Not that I'm expecting anything as silly as Trackmania from NfS of course. I really don't want a lot of story or the like cluttering my experience. I enjoyed the general overworld feel of Underground 2 back in the day, just do whatever and hit up checkpoints to start actual races. I dunno what kinda structure NfS games usually have. I don't really give a poo poo about graphics much, though they're obviously a nice bonus for the newer games.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

ShakeZula posted:

I forgot to mention it, but I did play and enjoy Yakuza 6, so this is a possibility. How do they compare?

Zero has such a style to it that I think puts it above 6. You should also consider Kiwami, the remake of 1.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Something I've been thinking about lately: Any good recommendations for strategy/4X games with more of a "role-playing" focus than a "Win the game" focus? Like the kind of game where it's more about existing alongside a bunch of AIs that are treating you the same way they treat each other rather than deliberately game-y mechanics like "gang up on the human to make the game harder" and that kind of thing. Paradox games generally play like this but I've already played most of those.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Something I've been thinking about lately: Any good recommendations for strategy/4X games with more of a "role-playing" focus than a "Win the game" focus? Like the kind of game where it's more about existing alongside a bunch of AIs that are treating you the same way they treat each other rather than deliberately game-y mechanics like "gang up on the human to make the game harder" and that kind of thing. Paradox games generally play like this but I've already played most of those.

Try Endless Legend. Every faction is hyper unique and operates off of different mechanics that go much deeper than "you gain 2 more gold per oil tile", and there are story line quests that form a racial narrative leading to game victory. It's also gorgeous and has an incredible soundtrack.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Okay, I've got a couple suggestions for that.

First is Star Traders - Frontiers which is admittedly, not a strategy or 4X in the strictest senses of the terms, but it is perhaps the best game I've played recently about existing alongside a bunch of AIs that treat you as a character, and function as characters, rather than as Player and NPC.

Second, though much more firmly in the Grognard camp is Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa whereby you either play as Stalin for the Russians (less good) or Franz Halder for the Wehrmacht. It's very interesting because you have to make a large number of choices dealing with the internal politics of Nazi Germany, and your very first question is "How involved should Hitler be in the invasion of Russia?".

Third is Divinity: Dragon Commander, but it's bad outside of the actual role playing elements, but has some fun fantasy coalition forming decision trees. You also have the King Arthur games which are choice heavy.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Second, though much more firmly in the Grognard camp is Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa whereby you either play as Stalin for the Russians (less good) or Franz Halder for the Wehrmacht. It's very interesting because you have to make a large number of choices dealing with the internal politics of Nazi Germany, and your very first question is "How involved should Hitler be in the invasion of Russia?".

I still need to pick that up, but going off of my general knowledge of Hitler, lemme guess: the answer is, don't let him anywhere near making decisions, while also trying to kiss his boots so he doesn't fire you for being insolent?

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
I am looking for an autism simulator like Kerbal Space Program or minecraft. Are there any games where I could construct a hollow sphere and then either crush it by dropping it into the ocean or explode it by filling it with hot gas? I'm looking for a game where I could build a working internal combustion engine or refrigerator for example.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

DreadLlama posted:

I am looking for an autism simulator like Kerbal Space Program or minecraft. Are there any games where I could construct a hollow sphere and then either crush it by dropping it into the ocean or explode it by filling it with hot gas? I'm looking for a game where I could build a working internal combustion engine or refrigerator for example.

Space Engineers may fit your bill.

On the surface it's space Minecraft, but there is a lot of depth. Make a giant railgun out of timed and sequenced gravity generators! Use pylons and rotating motors to create walking mechs! Build a giant drill that harvests entire asteroids in minutes! Construct a fighter docking bay that looks like goatse, but gently caress up the stabilising thrusters and send it tumbling into the void!

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 27, 2018

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

DreadLlama posted:

Factorio just... Factorio. It's autism in software form.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

I still need to pick that up, but going off of my general knowledge of Hitler, lemme guess: the answer is, don't let him anywhere near making decisions, while also trying to kiss his boots so he doesn't fire you for being insolent?

All are valid choices. Going with Hitler gives you more political power, since he's not actively trying to shut you out of anything either, and so you can promise a lot more to the Truck Nazi or the Train Nazi to make sure you have supplies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I am looking for an autism simulator, where like the game would be fun for anyone, but the characters in the game react like you're some kind of weirdo for liking the game, and the dialogue trees are unintuitive