Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
The more I look into horizon the more it seems like a whole bunch of effort to play. No ammo o egg healing stuff combined with me being bad.. ehh. Might do regular survival mode with some tame stuff like consoles enabled...

And more beards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I tried playing STALKER recently and oh boy did that game not age well. But to get back on Fallout, I’m having fun with it. The game’s prettier but feels way clunkier than NV. The weapons are...ok? I’m loving sick of pipe guns, though. Unarmed power armor is fun and saves me from aiming.

Still leaning the map / world and all that it has to offer but I don’t immediately hate it. I’m not paying much attention to the story, though. I had most of the twists spoiled forever ago by my brother and me watching clips on YT because I didn’t think I’d get around to playing this. I’m starting to think of what mods I’d like to get to chisel away the poo poo that’s annoying me.

But really, game’s fun.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jun 24, 2018

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Doorknob Slobber posted:

the worst part about survival mode was constantly having to check the status effects screen for how hungry you are or whether you've contracted some disease

Siri, am I hungry or have some disease?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Automatron is a fun DLC. The two major dungeons are very entertaining and slapping a sentry bot torso onto a pair of protectron legs is always amusing.

Surprisingly good terminal entries, too. I liked the one from the scientists extracting the brains. It's all jokes and camaraderie for the top entries, and then you get the last one where other employees ask him about whether he feels conflicted over the ethical issues of brain extraction. It's a nice right hook that catches you off guard and it's funny/sad to read how the scientist brushes off the question by suggesting those asking it should work somewhere else.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jun 24, 2018

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Making really loving dumb custom robots was the greatest gift Todd ever gave us. My favorite is a mr handy torso with only the front eye stalk plus assaultron legs painted pink for your own mechanical flamingo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I really like the assaultron legs with a giant sentry bot upper.

Because it has a great loving strut when it walks, also it runs really drat fast so it sprints up to people and mows them down with miniguns.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's awesome, YC.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Doorknob Slobber posted:

the worst part about survival mode was constantly having to check the status effects screen for how hungry you are or whether you've contracted some disease

Wait what? Did they not put the indicators for those things on the main screen?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

2house2fly posted:

In 4? Yeah, it's on the screen

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

How's Horizon as a Fallout 4 overhaul? Reading it has actually got me interested in reinstalling.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

2house2fly posted:

There's a generic doctor's bag icon for 'you need some antibiotics' but it doesn't say what's wrong or how it affects you.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i'm finally re-doing far harbor and is it just me or is one of the Dima puzzles pointless? in the fourth one, there's a section you can drop down and shoot the beam into a redirect, but it seems almost entirely pointless?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The fifth Dima puzzle gives you the locations for the marine armor caches.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i'm finally re-doing far harbor and is it just me or is one of the Dima puzzles pointless? in the fourth one, there's a section you can drop down and shoot the beam into a redirect, but it seems almost entirely pointless?

They're all bad, just get the mod that auto-completes them.

Especially on survival, last time I did it I got out with 50% health cause I was starving to death

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
But guyz the game was made for survival and they just added normal mid in for loser players.

https://www.pcgamer.com/amp/this-fallout-4-mod-adds-griefing-random-nukes-to-mimic-what-life-will-be-like-in-fallout-76/

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
John Fallout - the ultimate Goon. Starving himself to death in a VR simulation almost without realizing it.

Seriously though after the first time I just noclip'd my way through because those puzzles are very out of place and very irritating. Also really broke up the pace of the story.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

How's Horizon as a Fallout 4 overhaul? Reading it has actually got me interested in reinstalling.

It makes the game quite different, it becomes much more about resource management, your health pool is a resource which you have to choose to expend or recover at cost, as is ammunition. Most of the gameplay loop revolves around collecting resources and developing settlements to give you a resource base, then spending them on clearing out areas to find better stuff.

This combines with your weapons being quite lethal to make the game a lot more enjoyable combat wise, I think, and it also adds a lot of nice features like being able to switch your guns to full auto whenever you want, as well as making most guns rechamberable to different ammo types, on the fly also if you have the parts. Full auto doesn't degrade damage either, so it's extremely powerful but also ammo intensive, meaning if you've saved up the ammo you can actually take on very tough enemies.

I really like it, it makes progressing through the wasteland feel like you're clawing back territory and setting up settlements to give you a base to work from, and I enjoy the high lethality of weapons, and the game avoids making you die instantly too by making you have quite a lot of health but also making it cost quite a bit to recover, so you don't die instantly, but taking a lot of hits can make you need to spend a bunch of resources to recover that health.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 24, 2018

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
It's remarkably easy to have more food and water than you could ever need in survival with a small group of settlers and one big water purifier. How does anyone ever run out?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

In terms up tech updates this is a good idea, upgrade their engine to be more modern while the implement multiplayer. but it probably shouldnt be a full new game. they also need to get good at writing story.

Why can't they just realize what ID did which is that they are better off sticking to tech and working with others to do story.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Arcsquad12 posted:

But guyz the game was made for survival and they just added normal mid in for loser players.

https://www.pcgamer.com/amp/this-fallout-4-mod-adds-griefing-random-nukes-to-mimic-what-life-will-be-like-in-fallout-76/

it's all very amusing to me cause my general rule for a Bethesda game or similar is to crank the difficulty all the way down, then work on non-combat skills until the combat gets hard and then start playing catch up

i hate backtracking though so the idea that i can't open some poo poo because i put all my points in Don't Die Quickly or Kill poo poo First is abhorrent

I'm also that weirdo who uses VANS, not because I care about the waypoints but just to pick a direction to explore, because I'm horribly indecisive :ohdear:

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
VANS is fun if you dont like constantly pulling up your pip boy and you don't have the map memorized. The little glowing trail looks neat.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've never used VANS because heading in a direction and getting completely side-tracked is half the fun

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

tweet my meat posted:

It's remarkably easy to have more food and water than you could ever need in survival with a small group of settlers and one big water purifier. How does anyone ever run out?

it's more likely they 'run out' in the sense their character isn't carrying enough and not 'theres nowhere in the game world i could get this stuff'.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's it.

I usually only carry 10 purified waters at a time, and since you need to drink extra whenever you pop a stimpack or a chem, that can run out pretty quickly in a sustained combat situation. Veg soup and noodles can do a good job too, but it takes about a pound of carry weight for every 15 minutes of trekking to keep hydrated and balancing that vs. ammo and free space for loot...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Vans is at least good for the +2 to perception.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
That's a decent point. 95% of my travel is between established settlements or with a robot friend built for max carry weight to haul extra food and drink as well as any scrap i gather.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Your Computer posted:

I've never used VANS because heading in a direction and getting completely side-tracked is half the fun

Conversely, having the trail means I can freely sidetrack and not horribly lose track of where to go

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
play thru Morrowind a few times and you will never get lost again ever. this applies irl as well.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

play thru Morrowind a few times and you will never get lost again ever. this applies irl as well.
I love the Morag Tong quest where you're given orders to assassinate someone and nobody on the drat island has the slightest clue where he hosed off to. The only hint given is something like "I think he mentioned going West (...from the Eastern-most point of the map).

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
there were a lot of quests where the directions someone gives you 'make sense' but aren't the most intuitive way a person would interpret the directions. the first like fifteen hours of Morrowind probably involved me like, a quarter of the landmass away from where i needed to be.

Perpetual
Sep 7, 2007
I just started playing Fallout 4 again on xbone, and am having a good time trying out survival mode and building settlements, but I have a question: has anyone added/discovered a better way to clip junk walls together without mods? I see the old doormat trick still works, but it'd be nice if there was a quicker way to do it.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

there were a lot of quests where the directions someone gives you 'make sense' but aren't the most intuitive way a person would interpret the directions. the first like fifteen hours of Morrowind probably involved me like, a quarter of the landmass away from where i needed to be.

theres one right at the start of the game thats like "a bandit right east of here" or some poo poo and i never found that bandit

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I jumped back hard into FO4 over the weekend and never played Nuka World. It’s kind of boring? Far Harbor was pretty solid. I’ve done Tomorrowland and Frontierland and am now on the Adventureland/jungle area. Haven’t really found any cool weapons or anything yet but I enjoy collecting the outfits.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

Ah dude it's just east of the cairn stone down the beach.

:smugdog:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Tim Whatley posted:

I jumped back hard into FO4 over the weekend and never played Nuka World. It’s kind of boring? Far Harbor was pretty solid. I’ve done Tomorrowland and Frontierland and am now on the Adventureland/jungle area. Haven’t really found any cool weapons or anything yet but I enjoy collecting the outfits.

Some of the unique weapons/items can be found in the market for sale. Many others are rewards given to you by assigning sections of the park to various factions and doing missions for them. Even if you don't intend on doing any of the raider quests you should assign the parks to whatever faction you feel like and they'll periodically give you poo poo. It helps if you piss off one of the factions this way as you'll be able to take out one faction while when they turn on you but not have the other two immediately try and dogpile you.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Tim Whatley posted:

at the end of the Safari you get a legendary rocket bat, and there's the legendary alien blaster you get relatively easily, only requiring you to explore parts of the Galactic Zone (kill robots) then clear a junkyard (kill more robots). there's the Gatling Laser with infinite ammo if you fight all the dudes in the bumper car arena who show up, and the Nuka-Nuke Launcher if you find all the hidden Cappys. I like cool useful weapons but if anything the park kind of throws them at you

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

All right, I've started a new run of Fallout 4 with Horizon and some additional mods (like Sleep Or Save and the smokable cigarettes one that lets you save in Survival by smoking). It's definitely made for a much slower, more difficult game. I'm on the third in-game day and only now leaving for Diamond City, and I've already spent most of my caps on one pack of Rad-Away because I had spent most of the game full of rads by the time I reached Drumlin Diner. Live Dismemberment with realistic headshot damage has made it a tad easier, but I still spend most of my time with pretty low health.

My only criticism is that in the early game it's incredibly hard to regenerate health because there's no doctors nearby and you need to go searching for antiseptic and other materials to create bandages (which can't be used in combat). There's absolutely no health regeneration from anything but doctors and medical items, so if you end up with 10 HP left you're stuck being a one-hit wonder as you search around the Sanctuary area for enough supplies to craft bandages.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

All right, I've started a new run of Fallout 4 with Horizon and some additional mods (like Sleep Or Save and the smokable cigarettes one that lets you save in Survival by smoking). It's definitely made for a much slower, more difficult game. I'm on the third in-game day and only now leaving for Diamond City, and I've already spent most of my caps on one pack of Rad-Away because I had spent most of the game full of rads by the time I reached Drumlin Diner. Live Dismemberment with realistic headshot damage has made it a tad easier, but I still spend most of my time with pretty low health.

My only criticism is that in the early game it's incredibly hard to regenerate health because there's no doctors nearby and you need to go searching for antiseptic and other materials to create bandages (which can't be used in combat). There's absolutely no health regeneration from anything but doctors and medical items, so if you end up with 10 HP left you're stuck being a one-hit wonder as you search around the Sanctuary area for enough supplies to craft bandages.

That's the idea kinda, yeah, you really need to be careful at the start, but you can also build a clinic right off the bat and doctors are one of the main reasons to build settlements.

You're rarely going to have full health and that's fine, but you really want to invest in as much health recovery capability as you can get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

chitoryu12 posted:

Build an arch the clears away rads in your town. Needs like 2 power and looks like a shower.