Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Bashir's loser parents were underused like Sisko's dad, ordinary people in space are hilarious.

Bashir's parent's were insanely Persian in all the worst ways so I agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

drilldo squirt posted:

they owned they were some of the only humans on the show who were believably hu-man

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Rectal Death Adept posted:

He takes over the vineyard where his entire family burned to death

But it's okay, thanks to the dementia from his advanced Irumodic Syndrome, he doesn't remember that happening at all. :smith:

:raise: When was your last screening for Irumodic?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pick posted:

cardassians are 1000000% rad and if i were one o them tng folk who what get un-frozen in the future i would make a beeline to anywhere they were hangin out

It's tough to pick the best Damar troll but had to be trolling Weyoun about his recent unpleasant death.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Still hilarious that Picard's family died in a loving fire.
On a planet that is the center of the loving empire.
With thousands of ships and satellites in orbit at any time.
Where you can teleport anywhere on the surface in moments
In an age where you can detect a fart a million miles away.
And not one detected a house burning down.

RIP Angry Picard and Picard Jr.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

etalian posted:

It's tough to pick the best Damar troll but had to be trolling Weyoun about his recent unpleasant death.

damar owns

gul dukat owns

garak owns

enabran tain owns

the cardassians just steal the show every loving scene

e: also,

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Kitchner posted:

Technically the Vulcans were peaceful and the Klingons blew up their ship. This happened repeatedly so the Vulcans started killing the Klingons on sight.

So technically they never attacked first. It was a logical response to a number of Klingon attacks.

isn't that just called a war

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
lol yeah they spend an absurd amount of words to not just come out and say "klingons only understand violence, all you can do is just keep shooting them until they go away"

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

FuturePastNow posted:

isn't that just called a war

If you're a klingon that is a friendly exchange of diplomats.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

happyhippy posted:

that dude probably didn't believe in fire detectors

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I still have no idea what the gently caress Michael Burnham was supposed to have learned from that entire loving war. Like if she went back in time knowing what she knows about Klingons and about how the war would go, and if Captain Georgiou was willing to accept any advice given, what the gently caress are they supposed to do to not get sucked into a war that they're going to eventually lose?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

lol yeah they spend an absurd amount of words to not just come out and say "klingons only understand violence, all you can do is just keep shooting them until they go away"

How many times did Spock have the line, "I believe I just said that, (Doctor/Captain/Mr. Scott, etc)?"

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

happyhippy posted:

I bet people like this live off the grid. There'd be an all-encompassing surveillance and safety system (but purely opt-in and entirely for your benefit because it's Star Trek and not the current cyberpunk reality) that would basically make it very difficult to get injured or die. I could however see how that could make life not seem quite real, with something constantly watching over your shoulder to catch you if you fall, and space hipsters would of course have none of it, and the Federation would let them live like they want.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I still have no idea what the gently caress Michael Burnham was supposed to have learned from that entire loving war. Like if she went back in time knowing what she knows about Klingons and about how the war would go, and if Captain Georgiou was willing to accept any advice given, what the gently caress are they supposed to do to not get sucked into a war that they're going to eventually lose?

Don't fly in and investigate the ship. Or maybe not land on it. Or I guess if she had to land on the ship still, just get stabbed and die.

During the initial encounter, make sure the beacon doesn't go off. I dunno. Honestly, STD had basically one star trek episode and a bunch of grim dark Jack Bauer bullshit.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Moridin920 posted:

that dude probably didn't believe in fire detectors

In that very episode, his wife tells Picard that he threw a fit over her suggesting they get a replicator.

So yeah, I have no problem assuming he was some turbo-luddite who refused to have any kind of firefighting or alert technology in his home.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

The General posted:

Rumour has it Picard could be getting his own show.

wow, it's so weird how they never mentioned that picard was also spock's adopted sibling before just now

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Elukka posted:

I bet people like this live off the grid. There'd be an all-encompassing surveillance and safety system (but purely opt-in and entirely for your benefit because it's Star Trek and not the current cyberpunk reality) that would basically make it very difficult to get injured or die. I could however see how that could make life not seem quite real, with something constantly watching over your shoulder to catch you if you fall, and space hipsters would of course have none of it, and the Federation would let them live like they want.

Even funnier, some ensign on earth defense duty sees the blip of an unusual energy signature, checks to see if its phaser fire or a loving bomb going off. But its a fire. Then cross references if the people have 'paid' their Starfleet dues by agreeing to be monitored, sees that an old man and a kid are not on the list, shrugs and then goes back to playing World of Bajorancraft.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 25, 2018

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

happyhippy posted:

Even funnier, some ensign on earth defense duty sees the blip of an unusual energy signature, checks to see if its phaser fire or a loving bomb going off. But its a fire. Then cross references if the people have 'paid' their Starfleet dues by agreeing to be monitored, sees that an old man and a kid are not on the list, shrugs and then goes back to playing World of Bajorancraft.

It would be pretty ironic if Picard requested a report of the incident and like 900 different sensor arrays and ships picked up the fire but Federation Law prevented them from interference.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
"Sorry, he signed a 'Do Not Transport' order sir."

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

happyhippy posted:

World of Bajorancraft.

Oh God.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Picard rebuilds his ancestral home as a starship, and goes on space winery adventures. Morn is there.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Q shows up, the continuum decided that for their species to grow, they must grow old. Q complains, and asks Picard to appeal for him. After careful arbitration, Picard rules in favour of the Q, and not with Q.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Q and Picard get married and bicker on rocking chairs.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Q and Picard get married and bicker on rocking chairs.

This isn't the doodle parade

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

happyhippy posted:

Or they are always going round to the Picard Wine Lodge because they're the only place that insists on burning their rubbish on bonfires, rather than using a backwards replicator recycling machine.

The first five times they mistakenly thought it was a disaster but Old Man Picard just kept ignoring them. Now they just don't respond to fires in that part of France.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

drilldo squirt posted:

Bashir's parents were good on the screen, but turning "quite smart, quite sporty, all charm" into "can do anything we want him to as writers because he's the most intelligent being with the fastest reflexes on the station" was the worst DS9 plot move imho

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
I always liked Bashir's first gimmick as a tng dude winding up with a bunch of washouts and everyone hating him.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Because can you imagine being with tng people in real life? It really fits in with the theory star fleet is were we let idiots no one likes kill themselves while getting neat poo poo on camera.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
We all thought star fleet came out of the navy, but no, it's the end game of youtube.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Oh, for the Ensign Picard series, I bet they'll do a whole episode on when he was meant to bang that cougar in Paris the day before he left Earth

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

The new Picard series is going to be set in the alternate time line where he doesn't get stabbed through the heart.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Even a Picard show would be a failure, at this point, it's tainted now. With Discovery and the JJverse they basically said we don't care about what fans find important, it's our franchise. And now the IP owners are prostrate and bootlicking after failing in recent every attempt to serve starving nerds their slop, who will just refactor and decide BSG was superior all along.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

revolther posted:

Even a Picard show would be a failure, at this point, it's tainted now. With Discovery and the JJverse they basically said we don't care about what fans find important, it's our franchise. And now the IP owners are prostrate and bootlicking after failing in recent every attempt to serve starving nerds their slop, who will just refactor and decide BSG was superior all along.

No offense but have you seen fandom in The Year of God Emperor Trump 2? You try to do something new they bitch and whine. You give 'em exactly the same poo poo as before only with a few more ladies and black folks and they grunt and scream and throw their poo poo at you. And if you try and do something new while also including more ladies and black people they turn around bend over and start spraying diarrhea at you. What point is there in trying to please the fans?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

BrandonGK posted:

No offense but have you seen fandom in The Year of God Emperor Trump 2? You try to do something new they bitch and whine. You give 'em exactly the same poo poo as before only with a few more ladies and black folks and they grunt and scream and throw their poo poo at you. And if you try and do something new while also including more ladies and black people they turn around bend over and start spraying diarrhea at you. What point is there in trying to please the fans?

I wonder how the Orville pulled it off? It's a purposeful rip off of Trek, more diverse than the current trek series with more actors of color, and I guess the "new" part is presenting it as a comedy full of dad jokes.

But most sci fi fans, this poster included, really like it and are really positive about it despite the critics pooh-poohing it.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I just want a new episode that confirms pro wrestling and monster truck shows still exist

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Curzon takes Koloth to a monster truck rally to try to bridge the Klingon/Federation culture gap.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

BrandonGK posted:

well, all you need to do is make a good show

The fandom will love it.

For proof, see: The Expanse.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

I wonder how the Orville pulled it off? It's a purposeful rip off of Trek, more diverse than the current trek series with more actors of color, and I guess the "new" part is presenting it as a comedy full of dad jokes.

But most sci fi fans, this poster included, really like it and are really positive about it despite the critics pooh-poohing it.

I earnestly want to know how a relatively low-budget homage/parody of 90's Star Trek helmed by Seth MacFarlane managed to turn out to be an absolute gem of a Star Trek show.

Did someone sacrifice a goat?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I love that the shuttles literally have gamer chairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

EimiYoshikawa posted:

well, all you need to do is make a good show

The fandom will love it.

For proof, see: The Expanse.

But that's a fandom in it's infancy. Give it ten years and the producers will be getting rape threats on their twitter pages because a writer suggested that one of the grizzled space marines is pansexual off screen.