Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Spiderdrake posted:

She's not old enough to drive.

Isn't tails still 8 years old in canon? Pretty sure he's too young

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Big is great and I'm glad Sega recognise the value of their absurd purple dark horse character even if Nintendo aren't letting Waluigi be a full fighter in Smash.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jun 23, 2018

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

BIG

THE

CAT

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Onmi posted:

Though admittedly Ian Flynn being a good writer has been a big reason.

Ian's Big and Omega were both good.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Wait was emerl or whatever the robot from sonic battle was called in the comic?

Was the robot a good character

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That was another Gizoid that a character named Relic dug up and made her assistant.

Emerl showed up in the form of Gemerl though. He was kind of a hot head.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

ninjewtsu posted:

Wait was emerl or whatever the robot from sonic battle was called in the comic?

Was the robot a good character

All the robots are the best characters to be honest

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

This is why Episode Shadow was the best part of Forces.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

It's still my absolute favorite thing that Infinite's origin story is just "Shadow kicked my rear end and it made me really loving salty".

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I'm really really down for "4 chao driving a car simultaneously" as a playable racer in the sonic racing game.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

One of those Chao is Omochao though

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

What's the difference?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Omochao talks a lot

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

YoshiOfYellow posted:

It's still my absolute favorite thing that Infinite's origin story is just "Shadow kicked my rear end and it made me really loving salty".

Infinite being an edgy salty loser is so fun that I'm sad we're probably not going to see him (or his great theme) again outside of Forces.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I never played Forces cause I heard it was pretty lame, especially the boost levels relative to say, Unleashed or Generations. Is it worth a look?

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

VJeff posted:

I never played Forces cause I heard it was pretty lame, especially the boost levels relative to say, Unleashed or Generations. Is it worth a look?

No. I mean, IT'S FUN. But it sucks out loud just due to how creatively bankrupt it is and how badly it controls.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

VJeff posted:

No it's not

But if you can get it for ten dollars and are interested in finding new ways to be disappointed by sonic team give it a shot

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Mikedawson posted:

I'm really really down for "4 chao driving a car simultaneously" as a playable racer in the sonic racing game.

One chao drives, the other three backseat drive, with Omochao constantly saying poo poo like "Press the gas pedal to accelerate!"

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Basically they should rename it Sonic Fources.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

VJeff posted:

Hahahaha no

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Spiderdrake posted:

Basically they should rename it Sonic Fources.

I don't get it. :saddowns:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

VJeff posted:

It’s one of the most forgettable games I’ve ever played. No.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

VJeff posted:

I don't get it. :saddowns:

Sonic 4

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

YoshiOfYellow posted:

It's so good. I genuinely loved Forces' story, it tried to be serious but constantly cut itself off at the knees at the same time. It felt like the same brand of corny fun as watching Yugioh.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Pigbuster posted:

It's so good. I genuinely loved Forces' story, it tried to be serious but constantly cut itself off at the knees at the same time. It felt like the same brand of corny fun as watching Yugioh.

I never understood the horrors of war until Rainbow Dash was in Sonic Forces.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Pigbuster posted:

i like it a lot too

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

They've been torturing Sonic for months!

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Sonic Forces' story in 8 words

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Evil Eagle posted:

Sonic Forces' story in 8 words

Pretty much. I seriously had more enjoyment with Sonic 06 since the jank and awful cutscenes were at least amusing.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Maybe I'm too forgiving but I don't think Sonic Forces was offensively bad so much as it was just... inexcusably mediocre. I wanted to like the game but once I started to kind of have fun with a stage it was already over. None of the levels at all stick out as "I had a lot of fun with this" and I genuinely don't have any reason to go replay any part of the game because I barely remember any of it from a gameplay perspective

It's got a kickass soundtrack tho.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Maybe I'm too forgiving but I don't think Sonic Forces was offensively bad so much as it was just... inexcusably mediocre. I wanted to like the game but once I started to kind of have fun with a stage it was already over. None of the levels at all stick out as "I had a lot of fun with this" and I genuinely don't have any reason to go replay any part of the game because I barely remember any of it from a gameplay perspective

That’s pretty much my reasoning. It’s “better” than a few Sonic games but it’s just so boring. I played a decent way through it and can’t remember a single thing about it other than the weird looking OCs.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Yeah, if anything I think it's "bad" because of how mediocre it is. Sonic 06 is at least enjoyable because of how bad it is. Forces doesn't do enough to be either really good or bad. Much like how most of the levels seem to be designed, the game kinda stops before anything cool or terrible even happens.

You know how sometimes you get the feeling like something was cut from a game while you're playing it? I had that feeling the entire time I was playing Forces. It's a bunch of kinda cool ideas that go nowhere.

A bunch of villains are back? No, they're just holograms.
Well, surely they get cool fights at least? You fight one on top of a giant bee robot, two are dealt with in cutscenes, and one is a copy of another boss fight in the game.
Classic Sonic is back!!! Yeah, but he...almost literally doesn't do anything plot-wise, and all the levels with him kinda suck.
Oh poo poo! We got sucked into a black hole or something? You immediately break out.

over and over again until the game is done. It's like, if Sonic 06 is a bad comedian, Sonic Forces is a bunch of interesting set-ups to jokes with no punchlines ever.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Xad posted:

Oh poo poo! We got sucked into a black hole or something? You immediately break out.

This just sounds like it's being true to Sonic Colors, 'cause that was just as lame there. :v:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
sonic colors is much better. hell, lost world is better, because at least it feels like you finished a game when you beat it

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Yeah, the whole "let's have a bunch of really short stages" thing is rear end. Gimme a few super long stages like Unleashed and Generations.

I mean I imagine those stages take forever to make but hell, your character moves at the speed of sound. You either have very large stages or you have stages that end in thirty seconds.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nodosaur posted:

Omochao talks a lot

The perfect character for Team Sonic Racing from what we've seen so far.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Being charitable, I'd say that Forces was appropriately priced at launch. It works as a game you can dip in and out of (it's probably best taken out and about on Switch), but that's still only because it is barely finished. It's worth it if it's cheap if nothing else for the avatar dress up mode and killer soundtrack, but the next game really needs to be a whole lot more substantial.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

At least Colours has its black hole escape right at the end, and it serves as the emotional conclusion to the Wisps (until they never stopped coming back). It's not just, you get in terrible danger in the middle of the game then just Be Friends and walk back out of it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The Colours black hole had a kickass final level where the station gets torn apart around you in true Sonic style, providing a thrilling finale to a fun adventure.

The black hole in Forces kicks you back to the same area you were in after fifteen seconds. Fifteen god drat seconds, and you've left the area the level is named after. Having a final act in the city where you bust out and chase after Eggman would have been really cool, but Null Space itself is missing about three minutes of gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The controls in Forces are offensively bad