Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Khaara is in the water. Your lifepod notes the high level of bacteria in the water, and the basic bladder fish recipe clearly does not sterilise things.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

I did a game as a vegetarian and was fine. Just bee-line for the good food and you never have to eat meat. Be the change you want to see, stop global warming, PETA etc etc etc.

Didn't bypass the story in any way for those that wonder, still had to go through the same things.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
I've started this game a couple times and bounced off it each time. I absolutely love the environment and most of the mechanics, but I got really annoyed how small my inventory was, and how much of a hassle it was to build lockers constantly. Is there any better form of mass storage in this game? Maybe modded minecraft/factorio has spoiled me, but I want something better than "a lot of inventories".

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Elswyyr posted:

I've started this game a couple times and bounced off it each time. I absolutely love the environment and most of the mechanics, but I got really annoyed how small my inventory was, and how much of a hassle it was to build lockers constantly. Is there any better form of mass storage in this game? Maybe modded minecraft/factorio has spoiled me, but I want something better than "a lot of inventories".

build a single tube with a hatch, fill it with lockers and you will not have to worry about storage any more

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

One of the posters in this thread made a mod that lets you craft from anything within I think 100m of you. It doesn't solve the small inventory issue but it's a huge QoL improvement that you can just dump everything non-essential in lockers without organizing them, and the console will figure it out and tell you if you still need anything outside the inventory pool.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

boar guy posted:

build a single tube with a hatch, fill it with lockers and you will not have to worry about storage any more
But that's "lots of inventories"?

Btw, maybe it helps a bit to ease the pain: you can rename the lockers, i.e. "ore", "food"

Wipfmetz fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 20, 2018

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Elswyyr posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/16
https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/31
https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/24

Get those three. Follow the instructions for the mod manager (run it, it's magic), unpack the two other files into the qmods folder in the subnautica folder, enjoy stuffing your things somewhere and be able to craft with it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
And here I organized my poo poo well enough I knew where everything was, like a loving chump

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Kinda annoying that while wall lockers can be labeled, the bigger lockers can't. You can at least build signs. The Cyclops definitely has a large enough interior for a number of lockers on the top and bottom.

On that note, does make me wonder how the Cyclops is intended to be used, given the fluff says it's meant for a crew of three. But maybe the blueprint adjusts for the single user.

Also makes me wonder if not just the abandoned bases but also some of the vehicle fragments are implied to be from the Degasi survivors, they did mention using the same kinds of vehicles as the protagonist.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I presume the three-man thing is from the cockpit - One to drive, one to change the colour and one to hit the fire extinguisher.

(Probably one to drive and two to use the external cameras).

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Fluffwise the Cyclops is intended to function as an exploration/science submarine - presumably in 'normal use' you'd have one guy driving and the other two would be more occupied with running the sensors and any onboard scientific equipment. You the player just don't have any use for said scientific equipment, so your PDA's survival mode doesn't bother with it.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I think it would be Driver, Spotter, Remote Vehicle, or Driver, Engineer, Remote Vehicle.

docking bay operator counts as one.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
The different jobs could be driver, engineer (replace batteries, fix holes caused by bad driving), navigator (also spot things of interest and tell the driver where to go), vehicle operator(for mining and defense), cargo management (gotta unload those mined materials). Then because the ship is big enough you could put a bunch of scientific equipment in it, people, or various other things.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Oh, right. Obviously Seamoth/PRAWN pilot would be another role. Why didn't I think of that?

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Started this game a few weeks ago after randomly checking out the early portion of a markiplier LP, and have been playing on survival mode as time allows. Really enjoying the atmosphere and exploration, even though it's also quite terrifying at the same time. I was spoiled about the reaper leviathan surprises near the Aurora watching the lp (as well as the presence of islands), but haven't seen anything beyond about 300m deep. So the only reaper I've run into so far was when I stumbled into the dunes(?) while looking for random equipment to scan, and my seamoth kindly asked me if I shouldn't re-evaluate my life choices a split-second before a reaper showed up almost right in front of me. I suddenly remembered that I had pressing business back at my lifepod and mumbled something about regrettably having to take tea another time before getting the hell out of there. And going by the lovely sounds I was hearing from down below while swimming around looking for beach access to the mountain island, I narrowly avoided a second encounter. You know, somebody really should call up mythbusters and ask them to revisit their brown note episode while playing this game.

So I've explored both islands, got rid of the Aurora radiation, got the first depth upgrade for my Seamoth and just built a nifty Cyclops last night (I wanted to do something different than the standard yellow sub, so I made it black w/ white trim and called it the USS TorpedoTed). I have prawn suit blueprints, but don't think I've found one of the materials to build it nor any upgrades for it. I haven't built a base yet, because of my crippling need to build the first one in just the right spot while not having actually explored a good chunk of biomes because :ohdear: . I do have a thermal reactor blueprint, so I want somewhere pretty, not too far from basic resources and near a thermal vent, if such a place exists within my current reach. But I really need to do so soon, because my biggest annoyance is how quick it seems like food/water run out, so I really want to make an aquarium and a melon garden. Though I haven't tried doing that in the Cyclops yet, would be great if I could. After that... I think I have a few more lifepods to investigate, then I guess find some blueprints which will let me go deeper?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Mason Dixon posted:

Started this game a few weeks ago after randomly checking out the early portion of a markiplier LP, and have been playing on survival mode as time allows. Really enjoying the atmosphere and exploration, even though it's also quite terrifying at the same time. I was spoiled about the reaper leviathan surprises near the Aurora watching the lp (as well as the presence of islands), but haven't seen anything beyond about 300m deep. So the only reaper I've run into so far was when I stumbled into the dunes(?) while looking for random equipment to scan, and my seamoth kindly asked me if I shouldn't re-evaluate my life choices a split-second before a reaper showed up almost right in front of me. I suddenly remembered that I had pressing business back at my lifepod and mumbled something about regrettably having to take tea another time before getting the hell out of there. And going by the lovely sounds I was hearing from down below while swimming around looking for beach access to the mountain island, I narrowly avoided a second encounter. You know, somebody really should call up mythbusters and ask them to revisit their brown note episode while playing this game.

So I've explored both islands, got rid of the Aurora radiation, got the first depth upgrade for my Seamoth and just built a nifty Cyclops last night (I wanted to do something different than the standard yellow sub, so I made it black w/ white trim and called it the USS TorpedoTed). I have prawn suit blueprints, but don't think I've found one of the materials to build it nor any upgrades for it. I haven't built a base yet, because of my crippling need to build the first one in just the right spot while not having actually explored a good chunk of biomes because :ohdear: . I do have a thermal reactor blueprint, so I want somewhere pretty, not too far from basic resources and near a thermal vent, if such a place exists within my current reach. But I really need to do so soon, because my biggest annoyance is how quick it seems like food/water run out, so I really want to make an aquarium and a melon garden. Though I haven't tried doing that in the Cyclops yet, would be great if I could. After that... I think I have a few more lifepods to investigate, then I guess find some blueprints which will let me go deeper?

yeah

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I kind of figured the Cyclops was meant for being drivable by one but other crew being added depending on the situation. Like it seats three or four but can be handled by one. So you could do things like three or four crew in shifts working driver and navigator or the previous stuff like one guy drives, one guy watches cameras, and the third guy does science. Seems like it's meant to be customizable based on the situation.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
You also need a Farmer to work the melon patches and trees you grow on the sub.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What other games let you move around a large personal vehicle in first-person like this game does?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Yeah it's debatable how useful the Cyclops is, but I loved the poo poo out of driving it around and maintaining it, and I'd love to play more games that capture the same feel.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Space Engineers is more or less built around that.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Space Engineers is more or less built around that.

Space engineers also has multiplayer, better mining(mine literally everything), guns, rockets, remote control drones, big rear end bases, roaming NPC ships loaded with explosives and guns, BUILD YOUR OWN SHIP, starbases, variable gravity, conveyor system, batteries, and not so clunky inventory.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

i was going to say star citizen but i couldnt keep a straight face

LOOOOOOL

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

So if I adored this game, I'll like Space Engineers? I'm wary of early access games but it's on sale on Steam right now, so

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Weirdly enough, the Cyclops' niche is stealth.

Thermal plants are pretty nice especially considering you can pipe the power quite a distance using cheap relays, though it gets hard on the engine after a while so you don't wanna go too crazy. Good idea to scope out potential base sites, and leave beacons as reminders. (can be a good idea to hang around a while pinging the sonar to make sure you're not building too near Reaper territory)

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Jay Rust posted:

So if I adored this game, I'll like Space Engineers? I'm wary of early access games but it's on sale on Steam right now, so

For all it's rough edges, at the end of the day Subnautica is still the game with an actual plot and end goal. Space Engineer's is still generally "It's a sandbox! Make your own fun!"

Though it shares in Space Engineer's the risk of simply falling through your rocket on takeoff :v:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

BattleMaster posted:

Yeah it's debatable how useful the Cyclops is, but I loved the poo poo out of driving it around and maintaining it, and I'd love to play more games that capture the same feel.

I found it was the opposite - all I had in my static base was a thermal generator and an array of power cell chargers. Everything else was in my Cyclops.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jay Rust posted:

Space engineers has no story, is the thing, or really that much gameplay goals? You can mod it a bunch to add more things to encounter but it has no plot at all. It also doesn't really have the art direction of this game, it looks very nice but it's very dependent on you building cool looking stuff with what it gives you, and because everything is built out of blocks, the art style varies dramatically based on the style of the person who built the object you are looking at.

Specifically if you like the idea of building and driving around a large vehicle you will probably like space engineers, but if you liked subnautica for other reasons then space engineers is an entirely different game. The two aren't really related much at all outside of that one thing, space engineers is more or less 100% about building and driving around large vehicles and putting useful things on them like automating parts of their functionality and making them resistant to battle damage. You can also mod it a lot to add quite a lot of stuff, including a few scenarios for you to play through if you do want a more plot driven experience.

Here's a playthrough of a scenario, though the game's undergone a major graphical rework since this so it now looks a lot more cinematic and also wheeled vehicles work much better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD7YOubN2k4&list=PLTlpO3Ief-8EVnVdI6uBNwWpqzCTaEcc-

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jun 25, 2018

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jay Rust posted:

What other games let you move around a large personal vehicle in first-person like this game does?

Empyrion galactic survival

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Empyrion has more environment content to explore but I find it unspeakably tedious to play and also it doesn't really appear to involve much vehicle design because most of the functions you would have to build systems for in space engineers it just automates for you. Except weirdly for the resource collection, distribution, and refinement systems which it doesn't automate at all, putting it in this weird area where collecting stuff is extremely grindy while also there is not very much functional for you to build.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I haven't played space engineers for a while now, and I tried it again recently. For some reason its performance has gotten much worse than when it was on early access, so I don't really know what's going on there.

Also it is much more grindy than subnautica is, and God help you if you run with the default inventory limit in your save.

It is fun to build a station inside a hollow asteroid and build airlocks, ship bays and whatnot, though.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

https://store.steampowered.com/app/402710/Osiris_New_Dawn/

Osiris sorta scratches the 'more Subnautica' itch, and it's multiplayer. Nowhere near as much fleshed out story as Subnautica, though.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

OwlFancier posted:

Empyrion has more environment content to explore but I find it unspeakably tedious to play and also it doesn't really appear to involve much vehicle design because most of the functions you would have to build systems for in space engineers it just automates for you. Except weirdly for the resource collection, distribution, and refinement systems which it doesn't automate at all, putting it in this weird area where collecting stuff is extremely grindy while also there is not very much functional for you to build.

The point of designing vehicles in Empyrion is to make them look like other things from other games (or maybe star wars):

Yes, the Aurora has a full interior. All ship (including Aurora) are 100% flyable

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Dunno-Lars posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/16
https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/31
https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/24

Get those three. Follow the instructions for the mod manager (run it, it's magic), unpack the two other files into the qmods folder in the subnautica folder, enjoy stuffing your things somewhere and be able to craft with it.

I want to thank you so much for this post. I'm on my second play through (hardcore, also going to explore more places I missed before), and this is saving my sanity.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

So I found my way into the Lost River and tried to make the start of a simple base (just a multipurpose room and a hatch, nothing else) on a bit of ground very close to the egg tree, which surely couldn't be a bad idea since monster eggs will never hatch ( I hope :ohdear: ). So I plopped a thermal generator down right next to one of the nearby thermal vents, waited, and... nothing. No connecting light to the base, no power to the base. I wouldn't think range or line-of-sight would be an issue, and the temperature was over 60 (over 90 when I moved it directly on top of the vent). So then I tried somewhere much easier, right next to one of the few thermal vents pretty close to the starting area. Did the same thing, plopped down a multipurpose room w/ hatch on the ground, then put a thermal generator about two seconds swimming away in line of sight. No connecting light. So I move it roughly a seconds swim away from the base, and then finally the connecting light appears and it transmits power. Is the range on this thing really that nonexistent, or what am I doing wrong?

Also, I finally started experiencing some bugs, up until I got the Cyclops I hadn't seen any, but now I've had several instances in the Cyclops I've seen being talked about here and other places.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Use a power transmitter

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Jenny Agutter posted:

Use a power transmitter

Which ITSELF has a surprisingly short range for for connecting to power supplies in the first place, but then a very large and generous range after that. Unless they actually

Basically the feed between a power source like a thermal plant to a power transmitter is just above arms reach, the average ring around a thermal vent for example was often too big so I rnfrf up just making a blob of thermals on one side of a vent.

But from there it has a very long range to attach to either another transmitter, or the nearest base object along it's path.

There has also been a thing where they won't provide power to your base when you load your game until you get close enough to remind the game "Hey, thermal power". But I was always able to avoid that for a 200m or or so chain of a couple transmitters.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jun 28, 2018

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Put the geothermal generator on a platform connected to your base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

OK, so I had tried using a power transmitter before, but I had put it halfway between the generator and the base, not realizing that yes the thermal plant's transmission range actually is wayyyyyyyy shorter than I ever would've guessed. I figured the transmitter would only be needed if you wanted to build your base further away for a better view or something. I see how the design is supposed to work now, just think it could've been made a bit clearer in-game.