Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah seriously Boo is quite trivial once you figure his pattern out. Everyone needs to channel their hatred towards Bowser Jr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Just sitting here in the finals hitting B every time Jr pops up....

edit: got smoked by a luigi with 60k+ points

ultrachrist fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 25, 2018

tidiox
Jul 22, 2007
As far as I know, this isn't documented anywhere in-game, so there might be other people who don't know it. You can get different types of shots out of your Trick Shot based on which cardinal direction you use.
  • Left/Right: Slice
  • Forward: Drop
  • Backward: Flat
  • Failed: Lob (This happens if you time the Trick Shot late, triggering Zone Speed, and doing so causes you to run out of meter.)
On top of this, the forward/backward Trick Shots will autocorrect to the proper diagonal direction to intercept the shot, with what seems like a fair amount of leeway for what angles you can cover. (I tested this against a CPU. Humans might hit harder to reach angles.)

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

The defensive characters are really undertuned, but a bigger problem is that playing the net seems like it's very low-risk medium-reward. It's unlikely you'll miss a return if you position yourself right and hammer buttons.

Lob shots are supposed to counter this, but it's not especially difficult to return those, especially with trick shots, and especially with defensive characters. It seems even more brutal in Simple mode, weirdly enough, since you don't have access to Zone shots and spikes seem harder to come by.

I'm at a loss for how to deal with this.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
The weird thing about this game is how much it doesn't teach you and how much knowledge there is as barrier to entry. Not very Nintendo like. For example, I can now basically run circles around my first 2-3 matches in a tournament because the basics of star shots and keeping momentum means the opponent (who doesn't understand this) is constantly on their back foot with no energy. Then I get to semifinals or finals and play someone who is like I was to the earlier people. They keep the loving star constantly and I'm not even sure how.

Similar example: I can basically win up to the semifinals as Boo off Aces/Return Ace because people don't know what you're supposed to do vs him. Then once you play people who do know, you wanna be anyone else.

It's really weird.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

https://twitter.com/nephzinho/status/1011028113470263296

goon doubles are fun.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Rapid volleys are amazing.

Well after a few days of no connection problems suddenly my tournament matchmaking has poo poo the bed. (Also the game has tried to matchmake me with the same player who keeps declining or dropping connection, which seems self-defeating)

Am I gonna have to get an ethernet adapter for this game

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

ultrachrist posted:

The weird thing about this game is how much it doesn't teach you and how much knowledge there is as barrier to entry. Not very Nintendo like. For example, I can now basically run circles around my first 2-3 matches in a tournament because the basics of star shots and keeping momentum means the opponent (who doesn't understand this) is constantly on their back foot with no energy. Then I get to semifinals or finals and play someone who is like I was to the earlier people. They keep the loving star constantly and I'm not even sure how.

Similar example: I can basically win up to the semifinals as Boo off Aces/Return Ace because people don't know what you're supposed to do vs him. Then once you play people who do know, you wanna be anyone else.

It's really weird.

Can you explain these things to the rest of the class who can't do poo poo in this game

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah honestly I would like to know too. I thought stars were because of bad counters or poor form but I see opponents get stars even when I have proper footing and even charge up a little.

Maybe there are character traits that affect it or something

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

EightFlyingCars posted:

The defensive characters are really undertuned, but a bigger problem is that playing the net seems like it's very low-risk medium-reward. It's unlikely you'll miss a return if you position yourself right and hammer buttons.

Lob shots are supposed to counter this, but it's not especially difficult to return those, especially with trick shots, and especially with defensive characters. It seems even more brutal in Simple mode, weirdly enough, since you don't have access to Zone shots and spikes seem harder to come by.

I'm at a loss for how to deal with this.

I only play simple, and Defensive characters are strong as poo poo. Waluigi is very strong, and Bowser Jr is a loving wall and unable to be opened up at all.

Waluigi also has great range(though he can't get the angle on returns that Jr. is somehow able to get.)

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

leftist heap posted:

Can you explain these things to the rest of the class who can't do poo poo in this game

Someone posted this earlier in the thread: https://docs.google.com/document/d/10yqhB5A9YPwkeEadGa86LCvU8ZjW0tmZ-vOP9LSBNts/mobilebasic

Don't even think for a second I have internalized all those rules.

But I get the gist of a few of them and once you get a star, it becomes much easier to keep getting them while denying your opponent them.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

leftist heap posted:

Against Boo I push up very close for the serve, the only counter I've seen is if the Boo has enough meter to Zone Shot Serve. It's not a great counter since as long as you have the meter you can move back quickly enough. Pushing up to the net against Boo really neuters him, I believe he also has a 0 in the reach category so he has to be precise with his returns.

Additionally, I haven't found a reason to not push up against everyone's serve and trickshot backward every time to return for the free meter.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

ultrachrist posted:

Someone posted this earlier in the thread: https://docs.google.com/document/d/10yqhB5A9YPwkeEadGa86LCvU8ZjW0tmZ-vOP9LSBNts/mobilebasic

Don't even think for a second I have internalized all those rules.

But I get the gist of a few of them and once you get a star, it becomes much easier to keep getting them while denying your opponent them.

Holy poo poo long rally thresholds give meter bonuses to both sides? That is, uh, important information to know. Thanks for the link

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Anybody put much time into swing mode yet? I’ve heard some say it’s unresponsive but I’m wondering if that’s because people are treating it like wii tennis where it was more 1:1 matching your movements. I just saw a tip that said you can charge shots by holding the controller back for longer before swinging but haven’t tried it yet.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

If this is a fighting game, I decided that I need to lab it like it's a fighting game. I went into the Vs. COM mode and played 15 matches against Bowser Jr. in Ace difficulty.

I lost 120 points in a row, which I expected, but some things that came to mind:

Basically whoever gets to 1/3 meter first can easily bully the opponent out of the point, or even the game. The opponent's options against a zone shot are either use meter to block (keeping the deficit), maybe using a power stroke and taking racket damage, or giving up the point.

I am really bad at using trick shots to build meter. It feels like even if I even completely anticipate where the ball is going and immediately use a trick shot as soon as they hit the ball, it's still a toss-up between whether I build meter or have to use zone speed and actually lose meter.

Similarly, I can't pinpoint how I'm losing the meter battle so badly. I feel like even when I get in front of the ball and do plenty of charge, I am still building slower than the opponent, both in vs. COM and online. Also when I manage to get off a zone shot, a successful block by the opponent means they actually come out ahead on meter.
Though that last part might only be for AI who can block without zone speed. Although maybe the top-ranking masters are able to block zone shots without slowing down time, which seems impossible to me right now...

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
3 offline cups when MK8 has like 10? Starting to get turned off by this game. Almost 9k points and still no tourney win. Bowser Jr is over-powered in every sense. And I’m never gonna resell this for $60 (and I hate selling games at all)

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If this is a fighting game, I decided that I need to lab it like it's a fighting game. I went into the Vs. COM mode and played 15 matches against Bowser Jr. in Ace difficulty.

I lost 120 points in a row, which I expected, but some things that came to mind:

Basically whoever gets to 1/3 meter first can easily bully the opponent out of the point, or even the game. The opponent's options against a zone shot are either use meter to block (keeping the deficit), maybe using a power stroke and taking racket damage, or giving up the point.

I am really bad at using trick shots to build meter. It feels like even if I even completely anticipate where the ball is going and immediately use a trick shot as soon as they hit the ball, it's still a toss-up between whether I build meter or have to use zone speed and actually lose meter.

Similarly, I can't pinpoint how I'm losing the meter battle so badly. I feel like even when I get in front of the ball and do plenty of charge, I am still building slower than the opponent, both in vs. COM and online. Also when I manage to get off a zone shot, a successful block by the opponent means they actually come out ahead on meter.
Though that last part might only be for AI who can block without zone speed. Although maybe the top-ranking masters are able to block zone shots without slowing down time, which seems impossible to me right now...

Depending on your character it's not that difficult to nail trick shots once you understand how to abuse the system. Trick shotting behind you or in front of you, for example, is easier than predicted left or right. In a lot of cases unless the angle is exaggerated you will hit the ball. Practice trick shotting your opponent's serve every time.

1. Get as close to the first box without touching the line.
2. Hold back on the control stick, it's important that you do not wait for the opponent to serve just hold back.
3. You will trick shot their serve every time and put yourself at a meter advantage.

If someone figures out a counter to this technique that isn't using a Zone shot serve let me know.

saltyslug
Jun 28, 2012

Guess where this lollipop's going?
Currently winning about 2/3 of my games with Peach. About 50% of the time I beat my opponent easily, 15% is a tough victory, 15% a close loss and 20% I get absolutely smoked.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Noice & Earnest is a good team name. :3:

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Only really tough part of Adventure mode for me was the 400 point rally. But whoever gave the tip of doing the double button presses rules. That kept the guy on his heels and I got star shots over and over again.

Now gotta arrange the tournament for my friends. Then I'll see if I can do much online playing.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Story mode is pretty easy outside the rally stuff that just destroys me for whatever reason. That said I saw some people gettin mad at blooper and figured this winning tactic of mine might help

https://twitter.com/ThisIsACoolGuy/status/1011044687740788736

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Story mode is pretty easy outside the rally stuff that just destroys me for whatever reason. That said I saw some people gettin mad at blooper and figured this winning tactic of mine might help

https://twitter.com/ThisIsACoolGuy/status/1011044687740788736

I think I beat Blooper second try. But maybe I'll go back and use that tactic.

Going to now teach my gf how to play!

I'm a bit disappointed with how easy Luigi was at the end there.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"
Nintendo will absolutely have to address a couple issues with a patch - these are some of my nitpicks:

A) In single player, there should be an option to restart a challenge immediately instead of having to go through dialogue and loading again. It's astounding that a QOL feature like that was left out

B) The balancing online is outright horrible - they need to fix it so people with appropriate rankings are matched together. Some say that "points = / = skill", but I don't agree with that. Somebody with over 10,000 points has played the game enough to be better than someone who has 500 points.

C) You can't play a full tennis game - the game, outside of CPU tournaments, only allows users to play a streamlined version of tennis, following the same scoring, but not the fully established game, set and match rules: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/06/mario_tennis_aces_wonrt_let_you_play_a_regular_game_of_tennis_and_players_arent_happy

D) Certain characters need to be balanced/nerfed, especially Bowser Jr.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Chaotic Flame posted:

You got a link to the discord?

https://discord.gg/WkDmPV

Come join us in tennis, goons. Just one rule - no Bowser Jr.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Woops wrong thread

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I don’t even get why people play as Jr. knowing he’s broken. The fun comes from tight competitive matches, not tediously going through guaranteed wins to collect meaningless points.

SAD!

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Wendell posted:

I don’t even get why people play as Jr. knowing he’s broken. The fun comes from tight competitive matches, not tediously going through guaranteed wins to collect meaningless points.

SAD!

You've never hung out, for like 20 straight hours as an idle teen, with somebody who plays Tony Hawk by hitting "reset stage" the second they beef it, have you? I'm now *intimately* familiar with the first 15 seconds of Goldfinger's Superman.

Anyway, it's that. They want to make the number go up and don't care how tedious it is.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

What’s missing from Tourney mode that I liked from the DEMO was that once you won a tourney, you were seeded to round 2. That means that in theory during round 1 the pool of potential skilled players was being lowered. Newer players would have an opportunity to face each other more often.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
It still does that

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea that’s absolutely a feature of the tourney mode in the full game.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Nintendo will absolutely have to address a couple issues with a patch - these are some of my nitpicks:

A) In single player, there should be an option to restart a challenge immediately instead of having to go through dialogue and loading again. It's astounding that a QOL feature like that was left out

B) The balancing online is outright horrible - they need to fix it so people with appropriate rankings are matched together. Some say that "points = / = skill", but I don't agree with that. Somebody with over 10,000 points has played the game enough to be better than someone who has 500 points.

C) You can't play a full tennis game - the game, outside of CPU tournaments, only allows users to play a streamlined version of tennis, following the same scoring, but not the fully established game, set and match rules: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/06/mario_tennis_aces_wonrt_let_you_play_a_regular_game_of_tennis_and_players_arent_happy

D) Certain characters need to be balanced/nerfed, especially Bowser Jr.

there's also an extremely irritating bug that seemingly at random will change whether motion controls are on or not during tournament play

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

That's interesting. I've won a few tourneys and have not noticed it. Thanks for letting me know.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

murked by dragon posted:

there's also an extremely irritating bug that seemingly at random will change whether motion controls are on or not during tournament play

I haven't played much but I hadn't noticed a difference between having motion controls on or off. Does your character spaz out if you tilt the controller or something?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I don't understand how people can play with motion controls off. It feels like you waste a ton of meter without it.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

RCarr posted:

I haven't played much but I hadn't noticed a difference between having motion controls on or off. Does your character spaz out if you tilt the controller or something?

It lets you aim your special shots by tilting, like in Zelda. It’s great.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Wendell posted:

It lets you aim your special shots by tilting, like in Zelda. It’s great.

Oh that's great. Why wouldn't you want that on?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I feel like this game deserves more credit for its visuals. Some of the courts are really pretty and the character models are fantastic.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
After doing pretty well in the demo tournaments, I am getting absolutely wrecked in online play. I think I'm at something like 2-11.

Where were all these good tennis people when the demo was going on?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Does anyone else feel bad beating and perfecting what are clearly children in like the first two rounds in tournament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Dexo posted:

Does anyone else feel bad beating and perfecting what are clearly children in like the first two rounds in tournament.

Yeah, I feel this. I don’t want to ruin their fun!