Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
https://twitter.com/dril/status/1011089539601969152

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
another reason to hate the internet of things: it lets abusive exes gently caress with your living space by remote control

quote:

The people who called into the help hotlines and domestic violence shelters said they felt as if they were going crazy.

One woman had turned on her air-conditioner, but said it then switched off without her touching it. Another said the code numbers of the digital lock at her front door changed every day and she could not figure out why. Still another told an abuse help line that she kept hearing the doorbell ring, but no one was there.

Their stories are part of a new pattern of behavior in domestic abuse cases tied to the rise of smart home technology. Internet-connected locks, speakers, thermostats, lights and cameras that have been marketed as the newest conveniences are now also being used as a means for harassment, monitoring, revenge and control.

In more than 30 interviews with The New York Times, domestic abuse victims, their lawyers, shelter workers and emergency responders described how the technology was becoming an alarming new tool.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/23/technology/smart-home-devices-domestic-abuse.html

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i can't imagine making my door locks, air conditioner, house lights, or doorbell "smart". every one of those things is easier to control with a switch or a knob instead of some dumb phone app.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Stringent posted:

y'all ignoring the intergenerational wealth and political power havers who've actually been destroying organized labor and social welfare over the past 40 years to focus on elong musk out of some weird nerd jealousy will never stop being the funniest thing to me.

the intergenerational wealth and political power haver disrespecter has logged on

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
wadup

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
elon musk is killing public transportation, a bloo bloo bloo

meanwhile: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/19/climate/koch-brothers-public-transit.html

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

this is the tech bubble thread

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

quote:

At the heart of their effort is a network of activists who use a sophisticated data service built by the Kochs, called i360, that helps them identify and rally voters who are inclined to their worldview. It is a particularly powerful version of the technologies used by major political parties.

there, happy? :colbert:

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

SO DEMANDING posted:

there is a beautiful thread you should check out
thanks.. i think

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Roosevelt posted:

i can't imagine making my door locks, air conditioner, house lights, or doorbell "smart". every one of those things is easier to control with a switch or a knob instead of some dumb phone app.

not when you're estranged from your SO with a restraining order

look at this guy who didn't read the article :rolleye:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Stringent posted:

there, happy? :colbert:

you'r bad, op.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Roosevelt posted:

sure, if you're the one making these decisions or you trust everyone else in the house to consult you before having them installed

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

haveblue posted:

sure, if you're the one making these decisions or you trust everyone else in the house to consult you before having them installed

i'm looking at moving into a new apartment and one of the "features" advertised by an apartment that's being built near me is "fully smart controlled locks, thermostats and lights!" and I emailed them asking "ok but can i rip all that poo poo out and replace it with normal things because that's dumb" and I got back "no, but why would you want to, it's so easy to use!!!"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

https://twitter.com/thinkdefence/status/1011181026188591105?s=19

• a bright light
  • a strong breeze
  • a mosquito net
  • some fishing line strung up at random angles

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

guess you'd better hope you have a good agent then

quote:

They sent A slamhound on Turner's trail in New Delhi, slotted it to his pheromones and the color of his hair. It caught up with him on a street called Chandni Chauk and came scrambling for his rented BMW through a forest of bare brown legs and pedicab tires. Its core was a kilogram of recrystallized hexogene and flaked TNT.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ate all the Oreos posted:

• a bright light
  • a strong breeze
  • a mosquito net

other drones

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
literally grooming the next generation of the cult of grimes's boyfriend

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/06/first-space-then-auto-now-elon-musk-quietly-tinkers-with-education/

quote:

The curriculum

The flipside of that generosity is that Ad Astra reflects some of Musk’s more idiosyncratic views. The school says it has a “heavy emphasis” on science, math, engineering and ethics. It does not teach sports or music at all, and languages fall by the wayside because Musk believes we will all soon have immediate, real-time computer-aided translation, according to Dahn.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shaggar posted:

other drones

that costs at least as much as the first drone though, a spool of fishing line costs like $2 and can kill multiple $600 drones

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Shaggar posted:

other drones

jeez shaggar do you really want to put your rear end on the line like that??

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

actually if you use those cheap toy drones and then dangle fishing line from them...

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

that costs at least as much as the first drone though, a spool of fishing line costs like $2 and can kill multiple $600 drones

you just get cheaper drones. and then they get cheaper drones to kill your drone killers

its drones fighting drones all the way down

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

c should have a word with her boyfriend about that no music part

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

oh i got a better one: personal barrage balloons

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

oh i got a better one: personal barrage balloons

i hear helium is getting a little scarce though. time to give hydrogen a second chance.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Roosevelt posted:

I got a smart plug for my window AC, so I can turn it on when I leave work and my apartment is cool when I get home. Like I know mechanical timers are a thing, but I also sometimes do poo poo after work and electricity is expensive as gently caress in NYC. Also I have a different schedule on the weekends.

Anyway, that's about the only use case I can think of for smart internet of poo poo home stuff. It will probably still murder me in my sleep after being hijacked to mine bitcoins or something dumb.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Culture is confusing and bad because I can't quantity it

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

• a bright light
  • a strong breeze
  • a mosquito net

I'm the 'bit of ai' making it work

by which I mean I'm the 10 year old piloting it from a sofa 5000 miles away

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
let's hope they use tesla's ai

those semi trailers and jersey barriers will have nowhere to hide

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

haveblue posted:

let's hope they use tesla's ai

those semi trailers and jersey barriers will have nowhere to hide
*paints a rock in my front yard to look like a fire truck*
*has to close the window because the constant sound of murderdrones slamming into it was keeping me up all night*

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

guess you'd better hope you have a good agent then

quote:

He lit a Nicosheen brand swaggerette and took a dip drag, sinking farther into his inferior horologue. He thought of Nina and her mellifluous buttocks that he used to love to bang. Even now his nano enhanced hearing could almost hear her vagina lips quivering with moisture and also pleasure, like a slice of synth-ham being tongued by one of Malaprop’s slamhounds. When he got back to City5, he was going to do some sex, no doubt about that. “That’s right doll” he said to nobody and the wind. They were going to do it hard. He smiled, blowing smoke from his nostrils. They were going to do it cyber hard.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

i'm looking at moving into a new apartment and one of the "features" advertised by an apartment that's being built near me is "fully smart controlled locks, thermostats and lights!" and I emailed them asking "ok but can i rip all that poo poo out and replace it with normal things because that's dumb" and I got back "no, but why would you want to, it's so easy to use!!!"

lol like 80% of the smart lock market is for Airbnb

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

mrmcd posted:

I got a smart plug for my window AC, so I can turn it on when I leave work and my apartment is cool when I get home. Like I know mechanical timers are a thing, but I also sometimes do poo poo after work and electricity is expensive as gently caress in NYC. Also I have a different schedule on the weekends.

Anyway, that's about the only use case I can think of for smart internet of poo poo home stuff. It will probably still murder me in my sleep after being hijacked to mine bitcoins or something dumb.

Yeah that's a p.good use case + low risk but the people putting these lovely things on their front doors are insane. Maybe if you're a sucker renting it out as an air bnb because its easier to revoke access when needed but beyond that... why?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

to be honest i imagine they are less interested in promoting their brands, and more interested in appealing to prospective employees

still self-serving but not as icky

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

600? you can get a palm-sized drone with a camera on it (i.e. short range reconnaissance) for 20 dollars off aliexpress and one that can carry a hand grenade for like 150.

and, as the IRA said to margaret thatcher, you must be lucky every time, but we only need to be lucky once

the AI bit is clearly bullshit though. it's gonna be some child soldier a quarter mile away with a transmitter

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

600? you can get a palm-sized drone with a camera on it (i.e. short range reconnaissance) for 20 dollars off aliexpress and one that can carry a hand grenade for like 150.

and, as the IRA said to margaret thatcher, you must be lucky every time, but we only need to be lucky once

the AI bit is clearly bullshit though. it's gonna be some child soldier a quarter mile away with a transmitter

that's not a "racing" drone

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

that's not a "racing" drone

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DumboRC-XF220-220mm-FPV-Racing-Drone-PNP-F4-2205-Motor-40CH-200-20mW-VTX-700TVL-Camera/32841365940.html

everything included except the transmitter.

i don't know how that 337-gram drone would perform with a 400-gram grenade hanging underneath but the point is these things are ridiculously cheap now. fly ten at once and for the cost of a single RPG-7 rocket you're pretty much guaranteed to hit something

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 25, 2018

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DumboRC-XF220-220mm-FPV-Racing-Drone-PNP-F4-2205-Motor-40CH-200-20mW-VTX-700TVL-Camera/32841365940.html

everything included except the transmitter.

i don't know how that 337-gram drone would perform with a 400-gram grenade hanging underneath but the point is these things are ridiculously cheap now. fly ten at once and for the cost of a single RPG-7 rocket you're pretty much guaranteed to hit something

yeah, the fishing line tied to my whimsical war balloons :colbert:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

whimsical war balloon

was the best racehorse

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

quote:

Elon Musk has six days to make good on his pledge that Tesla Inc. will be pumping out 5,000 Model 3 sedans a week by the end of the month. If he succeeds, it may be thanks to the curious structure outside the company’s factory. It’s a tent the size of two football fields that Musk calls “pretty sweet” and that manufacturing experts deride as, basically, nuts.

“Words fail me. It’s insanity,” said Sanford C. Bernstein & Co.’s Max Warburton, who benchmarked auto-assembly plants around the world before becoming a financial analyst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
musk is the kid in studyhall frantically trying to complete an assignment that was supposed to be started 3 months ago

and in this case his ego says he's the best and most awesome student for doing so