Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the gpo has defined behavior, the registry is undefined and can change at any time without warning

if this was the win95 days when MS spent a ton of time maintaining compatibility with programs that used hacks or private APIs or whatever then that’d be one thing but current MS can barely manage to not break their documented stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Lambert posted:

What a bizarre rant. Setting the same registry key a group policy does is not going to break Windows. Just stay away from dumb "privacy hidden settings" tools.
what a contradictory post

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

infernal machines posted:

ahahaha. microsoft really is the new ibm

:shepicide: :smithicide:

PleasureKevin posted:

when explaining the target market for azure, microsoft said (direct quote) "not everyone is a startup. there are enterprise customers out there that want to scale. there are also people who dress as clowns and kill children, storing their bodies in the basement. one day we will all be free from jews and all jewish influence."

:suicide: :suicide101:

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

hobbesmaster posted:

if this was the win95 days when MS spent a ton of time maintaining compatibility with programs that used hacks or private APIs or whatever then that’d be one thing but current MS can barely manage to not break their documented stuff

i too long to return to the stability and reliability of windows 95

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

doesnt windows wipe your settings out every major upgrade anyway? probably undoes registry edits too

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

winows

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
wandows

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

dont be mean to me posted:

it's a loving text file; people can tell what it does or nope out of it on grounds that it's over their head by looking at it

if they can read anyway

which explains your incredulity i guess

yes i'm sure that someone aimlessly googling for "registry hacks" is going to be scrupulously investigating the files they find on goodregistryfix.ru

of course even if they weren't credulous enough to use them, it doesn't fix their very poor reasons for wanting to force-alter windows behavior in the first place

Stymie fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 25, 2018

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Last Chance posted:

doesnt windows wipe your settings out every major upgrade anyway? probably undoes registry edits too

nah, you're thinking of paradox games

Cirrhosis Johnson
Jan 9, 2014
Microsoft’s retail stores are cool and objectively own, unironically.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

go back to gbs, unironically

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Stymie posted:

yes i'm sure that someone aimlessly googling for "registry hacks" is going to be scrupulously investigating the files they find on goodregistryfix.ru

That type of strawman isn't going to be editing any Group Policies.

hobbesmaster posted:

the gpo has defined behavior, the registry is undefined and can change at any time without warning

This is even true for Group Policies, lol

Lambert fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jun 25, 2018

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Last Chance posted:

no it doesn’t, some settings at most

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Last Chance posted:

It really loving hates non US keyboard configurations for some reason

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Chalks posted:

It really loving hates non US keyboard configurations for some reason

double hates on configurations that has a non-US keyboard and US english as display language

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

if Microsoft terminates it's contract with ICE, ICE will leverage Amazon. and we all know what happened when the NSA contracted everything to Amazon.

... uh they made an always-on speaker connected to the servers shared by the NSA

maybe it's better that ICE stay on Microsoft since they have such little presence in homes and always-on Kinect (totally not a feature the government/military sales team demanded from the start) was dropped

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
things i did when i installed w10

1. removed some things from the start menu
2. uh...hmmm....

wtf else do you need to do that you need a loving registry hack

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
gotta use ~*WeeDgOkU42069*~ optimization guide to kill those analytics, windows updates, and, uh, search so they stop stealing your ram

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
the constant grinding of the useless search indexer

hmm, pretty much that, and it's not a reg hack just disabling a service

and the cruft on the start menu, lovely shovelware apps installing themselves willy nilly

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the search indexer isn't useless if you like being able to search for things and also it doesn't grind away at anything nor does it even run when you're using things (unless you ask it to specifically search an un indexed location)

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

hobbesmaster posted:

I mean, that's technically true but GPOs are just protected reg keys that map to the standard ones and the GPO template defines that mapping. They can break in the same way that anything else can.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I mean, that's technically true but GPOs are just protected reg keys that map to the standard ones and the GPO template defines that mapping. They can break in the same way that anything else can.

in theory microsoft tests the GPOs

of course they don't test anything anymore so i guess it doesn't matter

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

hobbesmaster posted:

in theory microsoft tests the GPOs

of course they don't test anything anymore so i guess it doesn't matter

I think the common issue is that people don't know they need to update their GPO templates on the sysvol so they have an older DC and then start rolling new builds without updating them and then bam, no template for your build and settings wipe regardless. But yeah, QA is in the toilet.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

2. uh...hmmm....

Disable the lovely slide-down lockscreen, disable aero shake, enable PUA protection, enable network protection (GPO up to this point), change the inactive title bar color.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 25, 2018

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

2. uh...hmmm....

privacy settings, cortana in gpo

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

syscall girl posted:

the constant grinding of the useless search indexer

that's right i forgot yosposters all use ssds and have to constantly fret about wearing them out with "useless" operations like too many disk writes

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

infernal machines posted:

like half this thread is nothing but morons complaining about how broken windows is, and then it turns out they did a bunch of unsupported hacks and 3rd party replacement poo poo, and no loving kidding it breaks

i also remember nlite

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Stymie posted:

that's right i forgot yosposters all use ssds and have to constantly fret about wearing them out with "useless" operations like too many disk writes

how would i hear an ssd?

it's just that in this day and age microsoft makes a search indexer that turns on without prompting (gently caress you shaggar it does) using 100% of the disk which i mean i know where my files are, it's all videos in directories labeled tv and movies and program + system files on the ssd which who cares

how it can just merrily go on "indexing" them for an indeterminate period of time and then when i go to search for a file have search be absolutely useless in very unpredictable and obnoxious ways (documented by plenty of people itt for the memory impaired) is beyond me

tl;dr search is broken, fine, such is windows. search indexing is bloated, fine, same. but pick one ffs

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

is it somehow worse than on Mac? it rarely indexes and it’s always done pretty quickly. operation is a bit slower and battery life can decrease faster but yeah. you can also blacklist stuff from being indexed

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

syscall girl posted:

how would i hear an ssd?

it's just that in this day and age microsoft makes a search indexer that turns on without prompting (gently caress you shaggar it does) using 100% of the disk which i mean i know where my files are, it's all videos in directories labeled tv and movies and program + system files on the ssd which who cares

how it can just merrily go on "indexing" them for an indeterminate period of time and then when i go to search for a file have search be absolutely useless in very unpredictable and obnoxious ways (documented by plenty of people itt for the memory impaired) is beyond me

tl;dr search is broken, fine, such is windows. search indexing is bloated, fine, same. but pick one ffs

if your computer is making noise you need to get better components for it

and if you can't use search properly then i don't know what to tell you other than perhaps computers aren't for you

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Watch out for my USB Type-C dongle for Surface Pro

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

hifi posted:

it still uses the wannabe magnetic charger?

designed by a guy who had charger and magnetic described to him via post

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the surface magnetic charger/adapter is way better than magsafe.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

hifi posted:

this costs eighty dollars

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

qirex posted:

this costs eighty dollars

crapple tax

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Shaggar posted:

the surface magnetic charger/adapter is way better than magsafe.

not even you believe this

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its significantly better. its reversible and doesn't gather debris to cause shorts like magsafe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

magsafe is god's own connector and apple is shameful as h*ck for no longer using it