Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

SirSamVimes posted:

While the villains are weak, the main plot still owns because you get to bro it up with your vampire pal.

Also the spoon quest is really good and it's part of the critical path.

Also land of a thousand fables

That's all very true, but I'd argue the B&W main quest is less compelling because of the weak villains.

Bloody Baron and HoS are often cited as the high points of the game, I think largely because the villains are so well-developed.

Regis is a cool dude but there wasn't much pulling me to complete the B&W main quest; the side stuff was more interesting and fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
HoS and BB are by far the most compelling quests in the game, yeah. Case in point: 3 years later and a bunch of us will still argue over what's the "right" choice for either quest. They're probably two of the most intricate and nuanced stories in video gaming history.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If you really want to invite a debate though, neither quest gets more heated than people arguing over what to do with Gaetan.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Had a hard drive die a while back and just realized that my save file was on it and I have no cloud save (GoG). Any chance there s a save game generator for W3 out there? Last thing I rememebr doing had to do with a vampire and some pub with Dandelion.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Pellisworth posted:

That's all very true, but I'd argue the B&W main quest is less compelling because of the weak villains.

Bloody Baron and HoS are often cited as the high points of the game, I think largely because the villains are so well-developed.

Regis is a cool dude but there wasn't much pulling me to complete the B&W main quest; the side stuff was more interesting and fun.

I think the overwhelming view is that H&S or Bloody Baron are the best stories, and B&W is the best area and a fantastic bookend to the series.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The Land of a Thousand Fables struck me as a darkly whimsical story-beat that should have been placed anywhere except in the middle of a bloody massacre. There's a difference between Bathos and splicing 20 minutes of Bill and Ted into the climax of Hellraiser.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Finally got this game and it's living up to the hype. The depth of the world and non-story quests is nuts. Is a build around strong attack viable or am I better off staying with quick? I favor strength weapons in Souls games and I'm fresh off Bloodborne, so besides occasionally reverting to that button mapping, I'm favoring dodging and big attacks. And are there any complementary signs I should be investing points in, or is it better to just use the defaults if I'm not going deep into that tree?

Also, should I be selling or dismantling all my junk items? The volume between those, alchemy, and crafting items is a little overwhelming.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Dinosaurs! posted:

Finally got this game and it's living up to the hype. The depth of the world and non-story quests is nuts. Is a build around strong attack viable or am I better off staying with quick? I favor strength weapons in Souls games and I'm fresh off Bloodborne, so besides occasionally reverting to that button mapping, I'm favoring dodging and big attacks. And are there any complementary signs I should be investing points in, or is it better to just use the defaults if I'm not going deep into that tree?

Also, should I be selling or dismantling all my junk items? The volume between those, alchemy, and crafting items is a little overwhelming.

Dismantle anything with Dimeritium in the name, sell everything else. Innkeepers usually pay higher prices on junk items, so try to sell to them when possible.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Dinosaurs! posted:

Basically any build is viable, but quick attacks are generally easier to use. Your best defense is to dodge and stay mobile and don't get hit, and it's tough to use the slower strong attacks with groups of monsters.

The alternate Quen and Yrdens are very good and highly recommended.

Try em out! Respecs are relatively cheap and infinite, you can switch things up when you hit mid-game.

edit:
alternate Aard is same as base but 360 degrees around you, it's alright
alternate Igni is a channeled flamethrower, since it does several damage ticks it's more likely to light enemies on fire, it used to be brokenly good but got nerfed and is now pretty meh
alternate Quen is a channeled shield, with upgrades it heals when you take damage and when it pops it knocks back and stuns enemies, pretty nice for the healing effect
alternate Yrden is a lightning turret which zaps enemies for good damage (at least early in the game) and also stuns them, so is good CC. also shoots down projectiles, lots of effect for not much effort
alternate Axii charms enemies instead of stunning them, pretty effective against humanoid types

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 24, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Heavy attacks work best on slow enemies or when you're whittling down an enemy with a shield. Otherwise dodge and roll and dance your way around groups slashing them to tiny bits.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I'd say don't stress out about your style, there are pretty much no non-viable specializations. Hell, I''ve played through the game three times, and I still see people talking about their super powerful builds that I never even considered.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Thanks for the tips. Didn’t realize I had so much money worth of junk.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Shumagorath posted:

This is weird. I know this is supposed to be the best story in an RPG in a long time but I'm about to stab that black heart guarded by werewolves and... it's just not doing it for me? I loved Witcher 2 but this feels like work. Bought on release, too, but Deus Ex Mankind Divided interrupted it and Fallout 4 interrupted THAT.

Does the story get way better after I deal with the crones?

Yeah I took like a half-year break from Witcher 3 while on the Crones quest line because Velen is so miserable and the amount of stuff to do was overwhelming in general.

Then I came back to it, saved the Baron cause he's such a cool character, then made it to Novigrad and went all the way to the end of the game and DLC's and 100% achievements. :)

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

kidkissinger posted:

There's like, two songs that play while you're exploring there and they both suck rear end.

Look at this bad opinion.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The Ard Skellig extended theme is the only video game song I sometimes play on its own.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

WrightOfWay posted:

Dismantle anything with Dimeritium in the name, sell everything else. Innkeepers usually pay higher prices on junk items, so try to sell to them when possible.

Dismantle shells as well.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://screenrant.com/netflix-witcher-tv-show-cast-geralt-yennefer/

Casting starting soon for the Netflix show, with a small confirmation that elements of Geralt's character will be taken from his game interpretation rather than solely on the books.

Also they seem to want to call Dandelion by his Polish name Jaskier. Dandelion or Buttercup, who wore it better.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://screenrant.com/netflix-witcher-tv-show-cast-geralt-yennefer/

Casting starting soon for the Netflix show, with a small confirmation that elements of Geralt's character will be taken from his game interpretation rather than solely on the books.

Also they seem to want to call Dandelion by his Polish name Jaskier. Dandelion or Buttercup, who wore it better.

Mads Mikkelsen as Geralt pls

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Pellisworth posted:

:agreed:

And Eva Green as Yen

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Pellisworth posted:

I didn't know I wanted this, but I want this. A lot.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

CottonWolf posted:

I think he'd be a perfect fit, Mads has the right look, he's really good at subtle emotion (watch the Hannibal series, so good), and he worked as a professional dancer (ballet and other) so he could sell the swordsmanship pretty well imo. The only "drawback" would be he has a Danish accent, but I think that would actually be fine, it doesn't have to match the video games. In fact it might fit the character better, Geralt is supposed to have adopted a Rivian accent to match his alias but none of the other major characters are Rivian. So Mads with his Danish accent and everyone else with American, English, Scottish etc accents actually would be great imo.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
id go with jaime lannister personally

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

CottonWolf posted:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Hell, cast Hugh Dancy as Dandelion and you have a canonical Hannibal season 4.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Steve2911 posted:

Hell, cast Hugh Dancy as Dandelion and you have a canonical Hannibal season 4.

That would own, let Will be happy as Dandelion, poor guy was so thoroughly tortured

You all should watch Hannibal, it is extremely good, but be warned there's a lot of gore. Not surprise jump-horror, but artistically arranged corpses and innards everywhere.

Coster-Waldau (Jaime Lannister) would be good too, he's also a trained dancer and I think the physicality of Geralt's swordplay is really important. The only reason I'd prefer Mikkelsen over him is that Mads pulls off serious and dark very well while emoting subtly. Basically if you took his acting as Hannibal and added a bunch of one-word replies (uh-huh, mm, eh) and dad jokes he'd be a near perfect Geralt.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pellisworth posted:

Coster-Waldau (Jaime Lannister) would be good too, he's also a trained dancer and I think the physicality of Geralt's swordplay is really important.

He'd do a good job but he looks a little too young and charming.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Steve2911 posted:

He'd do a good job but he looks a little too young and charming.

He's 47. Mads is 52.

I really like them both but tbh for a decade-long lead role as an slower-aging, frequently shirtless guy who spends a lot of time in grueling melee combat they might want to get someone a decade younger.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 25, 2018

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Jesus Christ... I tried this enhanced edition mod and it's ball bustingly hard. It took me like 3 hours to by chance not die to the ghouls that are the first encounter, and now the bowl cut motherfuckers in white orchard at the first brawl are violently fisting me. Is this fun?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

vandalism posted:

Jesus Christ... I tried this enhanced edition mod and it's ball bustingly hard. It took me like 3 hours to by chance not die to the ghouls that are the first encounter, and now the bowl cut motherfuckers in white orchard at the first brawl are violently fisting me. Is this fun?

No, it's not. Have you discovered that you have to craft individual uses of alchemy items yet? Like for each dose of Swallow you need to pick a few flowers and craft it instead of the very reasonable container thing they did in vanilla W3.

I and some others in the thread like Ghost Mode for an overhaul. The game plays 90% the same but tweaks a few things and lets you fine-tune difficulty. There's sliders for adjusting monster damage and HP as well as other cool options. My favorite is level scaling, you can set everything in the game to be your level +/- a range, so you might set everything to equal plus up to 5 or whatever. This means you can go straight to Skellige if you want, you can do literally anything at any time. Other than B&W is locked until you find Dandelion I think.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Pellisworth posted:

No, it's not. Have you discovered that you have to craft individual uses of alchemy items yet? Like for each dose of Swallow you need to pick a few flowers and craft it instead of the very reasonable container thing they did in vanilla W3.

I and some others in the thread like Ghost Mode for an overhaul. The game plays 90% the same but tweaks a few things and lets you fine-tune difficulty. There's sliders for adjusting monster damage and HP as well as other cool options. My favorite is level scaling, you can set everything in the game to be your level +/- a range, so you might set everything to equal plus up to 5 or whatever. This means you can go straight to Skellige if you want, you can do literally anything at any time. Other than B&W is locked until you find Dandelion I think.

This mod seems too in-depth. I liked the manual aiming part, but adding in the multiple ranges for fighting doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Does anyone here legit play with it? I banged my head against the ghouls that you first fight for like 2 hours before even killing them. Like is the mod for real? People claim they play with it but I don't see how.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

vandalism posted:

This mod seems too in-depth. I liked the manual aiming part, but adding in the multiple ranges for fighting doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Does anyone here legit play with it? I banged my head against the ghouls that you first fight for like 2 hours before even killing them. Like is the mod for real? People claim they play with it but I don't see how.

Yeah, I found it way too tryhard and fiddly. It adds too much stuff to combat and crafting that isn't really fun and just feels grindy. The strength of the game is the storytelling, I just want combat to be fun and challenging enough to keep me interested between the story stuff which is the real meat of the game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I don't really like Ghost Mode either personally, the changes to stamina regen are really bad and screw up what was an otherwise perfectly fine system. There's lots of gameplay change feature creep for what really should've been just a utility mod to tweak enemy level/character exp progression. I wouldn't be using it if there was a better mod for tweaking enemy levels on the fly.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
I played enhanced edition once, quit at the first noon wraith fight. That thing had far too much hp, it was ridiculous.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The difference between a CDPR fix and what certain modders think is a "fix" is wider than the mongolian steppe

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Just want to say that I finally got into this game (after trying probably three other times since release) and played almost nothing else for the past week and now I get why people like it so much. Finished the main story over the weekend and now I’m in Toussaint wondering where I can get a set of that sweet gold armor. Great game overall.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It took me an entire month to beat the base game.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I tried that mod again and put it on easy and it actually kinda owns

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Eyud posted:

Just want to say that I finally got into this game (after trying probably three other times since release) and played almost nothing else for the past week and now I get why people like it so much. Finished the main story over the weekend and now I’m in Toussaint wondering where I can get a set of that sweet gold armor. Great game overall.

Very close to the end of the DLC actually after going past a point of no return decision.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I've still not finished BaW. I'm somewhere in the middle of main quest, but farther in all the side quests. Once in a while I start the game, do some contracts or just ride through beautiful lush Toussaint. Either my ssd will poo poo itself or CP2077 gets close to release before I finish it. Maybe I'll decide I forgot enough of a story to finish it and start playing from the start again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I tried with that mod and in easy and yeah... it still runs the game for me. Base game is where it's at for me.