Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Is Sunless Citadel doable in a single session?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Toebone posted:

Is Sunless Citadel doable in a single session?

It can probably be done in ~6 hours by a 4-5 person group that's prowling through without dragging their feet on dead time like divvying up loot, looking up rules, or backtracking.

So, no.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Kaysette posted:

They’re by far the most used familiar in my experience due to the use of the help action and the flyby feature. Using that constantly is kind of cheesy in many people’s opinions.

I gave my wizard a pseudodragon egg and he just dumped it because he couldn't flyby spam with it and kept using his owl. It was the saddest moment of my DMing career.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

The owl can also teleport around, be shunted into hammerspace, and it only takes an hour and 10 gold to bring it back to life when it inevitably dies.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
My group is in for a crazy night this saturday. We're in the middle of a lizardfolk civilization and, as we always do, we hosed up. We told them their god was false (which might be true), we insulted their customs, completely misread the room socially and our lizardman killed their leader in single combat and then their spiritual leader when he offered to help him out of this tough situation.

-city of monsters to fight: check
-party status: split
-barbarian HP: like 4
-weather report: high chance of wrathful gods
-X factor- lizards are at war with a bunch of white apes who have been moving on their territory for a week or so

Its gonna rule.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
aggressive negotiation

CubeTheory posted:

I gave my wizard a pseudodragon egg and he just dumped it because he couldn't flyby spam with it and kept using his owl. It was the saddest moment of my DMing career.

:negative:

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?

Firstborn posted:

What day you looking for?

I could do most days in a pinch. As long as the hours aren't in the middle of the night in the EU.

DKWildz
Jan 7, 2002

hangedman1984 posted:

Whats wrong with Owls??

Kaysette nailed it. I don't really see the huge issue since there's so many ways to gain advantage in 5E (especially if you're using that 'flanking/outnumbering allies' variant rule in the DMG ... It's only for that first and only attack until the Owl's next turn on that creature, and 90% of the time I was using it to help out a melee party member on their hit rather than myself. Honestly I think they should give all (or at least a lot more) their own equivalents of 'flyby' just to make them more even and let people pick different familiars for flavor while still feeling like they can be more of an asset mechanically. All the DM has to do is have one goblin fire at it once they feel the player has got enough use out of it in the fight and it dies.

As it is, that's fine, I'm happy with my new flap cat. :D

CubedTheory posted:

Aww, that's a shame. I definitely am not putting my Tressym into the same flyby assist machine scenarios as I was with the Owl, but I'll probably end up doing some silly things like casting Dragon Breath on it for some surprise cone attacks .... but I can resummon the Tressym unlike that Pseudodragon, and I'd definitely try to make that special familiar work if I was introduced to one :)

DKWildz fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jun 25, 2018

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

DKWildz posted:

Kaysette nailed it. I don't really see the huge issue since there's so many ways to gain advantage in 5E (especially if you're using that 'flanking/outnumbering allies' variant rule in the DMG ... It's only for that first and only attack until the Owl's next turn on that creature, and 90% of the time I was using it to help out a melee party member on their hit rather than myself.

A lot of tables don't use variant rules, and even then, it only helps melee. Your owl can provide advantage on every ranged spell attack you make, and that's kinda busted, which is why WotC should have tried the bare minimum to balance different familiars (and also made familiars a class feature).

DKWildz
Jan 7, 2002

Toshimo posted:

A lot of tables don't use variant rules, and even then, it only helps melee. Your owl can provide advantage on every ranged spell attack you make, and that's kinda busted, which is why WotC should have tried the bare minimum to balance different familiars (and also made familiars a class feature).

That's fine. I don't claim to have the ultimate reasoning on whether it's balanced or not. I just don't feel it to be a problem myself, but I don't really care either way if it disappeared. I would agree that I'd love for the familiars to have a litttle more parity when it comes to 'fly by'. I think out of combat they're all pretty reasonably different.

I used the Owl to give the melee advantage instead of myself because we have a dual wielder ranger with +2 main and +1 offhand weapons. My Wizard is mostly relegated to casting Slow, Hypnotic Gaze, and Blindness/Deafness to control, leaving me with a paltry 2d8 Ray of Frost to use once in a while. We don't really receive gold, or find spell scrolls or books, so my Tressym has been my only "fun" point for the campaign.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Owls are certainly the stand-out familiar, but really any familiar with casual flight is in a league of its own, of which owls are simply the best of the best. Even without Flyby, bats, hawks, and ravens are capable of a lot of the same tricks.

Grounded familiars are a mixed lot: cats, weasels, and snakes (and maybe spiders) are all competent scouts, everything else kinda sucks. Then you get your underwater familiars which...well, I suppose if you're ever underwater for a protracted period of time, you'll get your money's worth. Very campaign-dependent.

Granted, utility needn't be the rule of the day - if you want a frog familiar for the flavor, take it - and wizards already get a lot of goodies anyway, but so long as we're talking about it, yeah, familiars could use a bit of tweaking.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

DKWildz posted:

I used the Owl to give the melee advantage instead of myself because we have a dual wielder ranger with +2 main and +1 offhand weapons.

Just to be clear, you do know that flyby (and the Help action in general) only apply to the first attack roll of the turn, so it doesn't matter if someone has multiple attacks or is dual-wielding?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I feel like the first thing that should happen after someone uses their owl's flyby is that one of the monsters shoots it out of the sky.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I just banned everything other than "I attack", and now nobody has anything unbalanced.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

AlphaDog posted:

I just banned everything other than "I attack", and now nobody has anything unbalanced.

Fighter supremacy.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

SettingSun posted:

I feel like the first thing that should happen after someone uses their owl's flyby is that one of the monsters shoots it out of the sky.

That's fine, it wasted an enemy turn in that case.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

That's fine. I just imagine the complaint about flyby spam is the DM throwing their hands in the air and saying 'well now what am I supposed to do about this cheese?' That's probably just my own bias about the situation and that owls are fine.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

SettingSun posted:

That's fine. I just imagine the complaint about flyby spam is the DM throwing their hands in the air and saying 'well now what am I supposed to do about this cheese?' That's probably just my own bias about the situation and that owls are fine.

Like when my DM thought about removing or heavily restricting my barbarian's rage damage resistance when it first came up.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

There needs to be a sidebar in thr DMG that says, "when a player does something straightforward with a class feature, and it feels crazy, step away from the table and think really hard before trying to 'fix' it.'

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Finster Dexter posted:

Like when my DM thought about removing or heavily restricting my barbarian's rage damage resistance when it first came up.
lol what

That's literally the only way barbarians don't die immediately.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Panderfringe posted:

lol what

That's literally the only way barbarians don't die immediately.

Which is how I talked him down from it. Tbf it was his first time DMing 5e, I think. Like, literally his first session and everything.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Has anyone ever experimented with having a co-DM whose primary role is to play the NPCs? It's really atypical, but there's a few podcasts that do it really well, and it solves the issue of "DM has to talk to themself in two distinct voices" that's annoying as hell when it comes up.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

I see new DMs posting online (not here) fairly frequently about how OP fighters or other martials are in LMoP with their high ACs that the DM can barely scratch. They don't know to use save effects to mess with them and they don't realize the power dynamic of martials versus casters switches so severely later on. Even for those in the know, people tend to forget the nature of the "linear fighter / quadratic wizard" means that most spellcasters do kind of suck at low level barring certain spells/abilities like sleep and wild shape. Trying to figure out what's OP or even optimal in 5e is a mess and I can totally see where these wacky-sounding nerfs and rulings come from.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

inthesto posted:

Has anyone ever experimented with having a co-DM whose primary role is to play the NPCs? It's really atypical, but there's a few podcasts that do it really well, and it solves the issue of "DM has to talk to themself in two distinct voices" that's annoying as hell when it comes up.

That effectively makes the NPCDM a player if their primary job is to handle NPCs doesn't it? Maybe I don't understand how how the two DMs interact. I solve the the you're just talking to yourself problem by doing the videogamey thing of having the NPCs solely interact with the players and instances where they interact with each other are just a paraphrased description.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Finster Dexter posted:

Which is how I talked him down from it. Tbf it was his first time DMing 5e, I think. Like, literally his first session and everything.
Someone on their first session of basically any game probably shouldn't be trying to house rule much of anything, honestly.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Elysiume posted:

Someone on their first session of basically any game probably shouldn't be trying to house rule much of anything, honestly.
*first attack of the starter adventure involves a goblin attacking a surprised party member with advantage, killing them in one hit*

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Kaysette posted:

I see new DMs posting online (not here) fairly frequently about how OP fighters or other martials are in LMoP with their high ACs that the DM can barely scratch. They don't know to use save effects to mess with them

Until the Paladin reaches 6th level and gets Aura of Protection and suddenly I feel like I can't remember the last time anyone failed a save.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

inthesto posted:

Could you point me at one of those podcasts? Sounds neat. Please advise if it's full of idiocy like complaining about someone's game-breakingly high strength score though.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Hi, would someone please link that tool people said was really great for making your own monsters based off player levels? It had line a formula for what ac and stuff should be based on what levels it supposed to show up around Trying to Google for it but I can't remember if I'm looking at the right version.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Hi, would someone please link that tool people said was really great for making your own monsters based off player levels? It had line a formula for what ac and stuff should be based on what levels it supposed to show up around Trying to Google for it but I can't remember if I'm looking at the right version.

https://songoftheblade.wordpress.com/2015/09/09/improved-monster-stats-table-for-dd-5th-edition/ ?

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

That's it, thanks

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Splicer posted:

Could you point me at one of those podcasts? Sounds neat. Please advise if it's full of idiocy like complaining about someone's game-breakingly high strength score though.

The more popular one would be The Dragon Friends, which is done as a live show. It's extremely loose with 5e rules (seriously, it makes The Adventure Zone look like it's playing by the book in comparison), but since the DMs have been doing creative stuff together for years, the "Dedicated NPC DM" dynamic works very smoothly.

Neon Rival Presents Tomb of Annihilation is a fair bit more straight-laced (though still quite silly). You might recognize some of the cast from Godsfall. Unfortunately, it only has five episodes and updates very sparingly.

Trent Squawkbox
Sep 6, 2009
Anybody try to run the Variant Initiative rules? Specifically the, each turn, declare action, get modifiers based on how fast/slow action is, then roll, rules.
https://www.dndbeyond.com/compendium/rules/dmg/dungeon-masters-workshop#InitiativeVariants

I think it would make combat more interesting, but probably slow it down. I was thinking of also reducing everyone's max hp to make up for the slower rounds.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

They're garbage.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
FWIW, the number one complaint from my players is that combat is too slow (even though they take forever to decide what to do and to roll dice :arghfist:)

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Quixzlizx posted:

FWIW, the number one complaint from my players is that combat is too slow (even though they take forever to decide what to do and to roll dice :arghfist:)

Bring a chess clock to the table

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

I think any new 5e dm shouldn't gently caress with the rules at all. I mean I remember when I was first starting out with 5e and flipping through PHB and being like holy gently caress this is some powerful poo poo but then looking through the MM for the first time and being like ok I get it now. Our first campaign was a blast RAW. It was also difficult and rewarding. In comes new dm not just with 5e but in general. He wants to run Abyss. Changes up loving everything. Won't even let paladin use Find Steed. Won't let my swashbuckler use Rakish Audacity. I mean he cut a lot of poo poo and didn't replace with anything. Last and final session with him the final straw my PC was outside in the hall, fight breaks out in room with rest of group and he wouldn't let me roll initiative. After that I quit, then two weeks later everyone else did too. Now I'm running CoS again and we're having a blast. Newbie dm is still in group but as player. Things are better now.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

GrumpyGoesWest posted:

I think any new 5e dm shouldn't gently caress with the rules at all. I mean I remember when I was first starting out with 5e and flipping through PHB and being like holy gently caress this is some powerful poo poo but then looking through the MM for the first time and being like ok I get it now. Our first campaign was a blast RAW. It was also difficult and rewarding. In comes new dm not just with 5e but in general. He wants to run Abyss. Changes up loving everything. Won't even let paladin use Find Steed. Won't let my swashbuckler use Rakish Audacity. I mean he cut a lot of poo poo and didn't replace with anything. Last and final session with him the final straw my PC was outside in the hall, fight breaks out in room with rest of group and he wouldn't let me roll initiative. After that I quit, then two weeks later everyone else did too. Now I'm running CoS again and we're having a blast. Newbie dm is still in group but as player. Things are better now.

I'm certain the Notable Gaming Experiences thread would love to hear about that.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Toshimo posted:

Bring a chess clock to the table

We used an hour glass. I put on the table at first and then after a few sessions I put it behind my screen. Now we don't need one at all. In a party of four it generally takes about less than a minute for all players. I don't allow table talk either though. I'll describe player hp like I do monsters so no one asks others about hp or ac or ki or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I'm certain the Notable Gaming Experiences thread would love to hear about that.

Bookmarked. Thanks for new reading material.