Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well her show was dang racist and I think she wrote it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Wow that show has been on for years with one writer. Good for her.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Solo wanted to be the Ant-Man of Star Wars, but it ended up being the Dr Strange of Star Wars, except I'm pretty sure Dr Strange made money.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Solo wanted to be the Ant-Man of Star Wars, but it ended up being the Dr Strange of Star Wars, except I'm pretty sure Dr Strange made money.
None of those cost as much as Solo did either

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Dr. Strange was just there to be pretty, everything else was an afterthought

And-Man felt disjointed but ended up being great.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BrianWilly posted:

I still can't get over how bad the worldbuilding in Doctor Strange was and how poorly the plot and characterizations were depicted. "Using the Dark Dimension is bad! Why? It just is, that's why, you big hypocrite! [bunch of sorcerers fight about this]" Also some people wanna live forever and this is totally relevant to anything at all

The dark dimension brings down Dormmamu who kills planets. It’s bad.

And someone who says “don’t do this it’s bad” does it to just to live forever and that breaks Mordo’s brain.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

I've literally never watched it and she has zero writing credits for it (or anything), so that doesn't really explain anything. Some searching suggests that there was an Asian caricature character? I'm not sure that really qualifies her as "gigantic racist"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

When you do the most racist show on TV for 5 years, that qualifies.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I watched it once and the two titular broke girls owned a horse

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I enjoy Kat Dennings' performance in the Thor films but yes that show is definitely racist as hell, although I don't think she has any creative input in it (a very mild mitigation).

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Mulva posted:

The answer is clearly, always and forever, Hulk. It's the one that people often forget was even a movie in the first place. Like TDW has moments, here or there, that show the people in it can rise above the material. Loki mourning his mother is a well done moment for instance. That's something. Hulk is literally a big pile of nothing that you need to remind people was even a Marvel flick. It is literally forgettable rather than rhetorically. It's hard to get much worse than that.

I skipped over Incredible Hulk in my big pre-Infinity War MCU rewatch because it's so plainly irrelevant to the rest of the franchise, so you might be right.

I also skipped Ant-Man, but I'll rewatch that one soon enough.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The general guy from Hulk shows up in Civil And Infinity war

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Aphrodite posted:

Is it just the standard CBS sitcom racism or was there something specific that only they did?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Is it just the standard CBS sitcom racism or was there something specific that only they did?

There were multiple characters whose entire line of jokes were their ethnicities.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Ant-Man was carried by fun set pieces and extremely good and perfect casting.

The story was generic as gently caress, but that cast was so loving good.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dexo posted:

Ant-Man was carried by fun set pieces and extremely good and perfect casting.

The story was generic as gently caress, but that cast was so loving good.

This is also Deadpool and nobody seems to mind there.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I loving love Ant-Man its probably in my top 5 or 6 MCU movies.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

If y'all think Avengers is a good movie or even just better than Ant-man or Dr Strange, you should have a rewatch.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It is a good movie, it's just not as good.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Aphrodite posted:

This is also Deadpool and nobody seems to mind there.

Deadpool’s action, violence and comedy make up for the okay story.

Ant-Man really just has a good cast being good in spite of everything.

The action is okay but feels disconnected to the bland everything else.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I wish I had archives, because I swear people in the previous thread were praising the gently caress out of Thor 2 right before it hit the states.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I loved it when I saw it. But it just didn’t hold up after. I loved the creature design and practical suit monster, but everything else was really bland. End battle is cool though.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Ant-Man entire premise was to make the silliest poo poo they could with changing the size of random things and it delivered that in spades.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I like Thor 2 but I’m in the minority. The stuff with Loki and Thor is great, the stuff with Jane Foster less so. Supporting cast is fine. Kat Dennings should have been Jane Foster though.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Thor 1 & 2 would be better if Hemsworth and Portman had any chemistry.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I never have gotten the hate for Portman or saying she was sleepwalking.

I thought she was good.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Aphrodite posted:

It was literally on for the same amount of time as Last Man Standing, so definitely not.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

Ant-Man was fun, but I always found it very disjointed, because they seemed to want Ant-Man to be both a criminal, and also completely innocent? So people keep reacting to him like he's a repeat felon and can't be trusted, even though based on his stated actions he's done literally nothing wrong and is a hero.

It's like they wanted a redemption story but also didn't want Scott to have done any actual bad crimes.

It's the reason why Edgar Wright left the movie apparently. Wanted him to be less heroic or something.

e: There's a lot of great stuff Peyton Reed added tho.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

poly and open-minded posted:

If y'all think Avengers is a good movie or even just better than Ant-man or Dr Strange, you should have a rewatch.
I don't even like Ant-Man that much.

But there is literally nothing that happens in Avengers that is as fun to watch as this.

Or this.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status/1011348381749391361?s=19

I'll believe it when I see it

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Deleted

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Well, I didn't see it so I guess I won't believe it.

What was it?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

CelticPredator posted:

The dark dimension brings down Dormmamu who kills planets. It’s bad.

And someone who says “don’t do this it’s bad” does it to just to live forever and that breaks Mordo’s brain.
Granted, I don't remember all the exposition and dialogue in this film because wow those things were...ample...so correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think anyone ever says that using the Dark Dimension literally empowers Dormammu or brings him down or something like that.

And the thing with Mordo is that we never even actually saw the Ancient One forbidding anyone from using the Dark Dimension -- again, from what I can remember -- and the first we hear about this is after she's dead and suddenly this is a big deal that Mordo is angry about. It's terrible plotting. The impact of this storyline is supposed to be that this wise noble mentor broke her own noble rules which leads to one of her students rebelling out of bitterness and self-righteousness...but we the audience didn't even know that these rules existed until Mordo was angry about them, and even then it's not clear why breaking them is such a bad thing.

More importantly, we don't care. Every character in the film is fighting to the death over these poorly-explained mystical minutiae about life and death and darkness and there's not a single emotional tether to any of it besides them telling us through purple prose that it's supposed to be a big deal. The Ancient One used dark powers...but she was a nice white lady who didn't seem corrupted, so...big whoop? Mordo has a rigid code and won't accept things outside that code...but we barely know Mordo as a person so the only reason he thinks that is because he just does. On the other hand, Kaecillius does have a reason for wanting to live forever and doing whatever it takes to achieve that...but why would any of it matter to Strange other than the usual generic "He's going to destroooy the wooorld!" plug-in?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Hmm dunno why it got deleted but the article seems to still be up

https://www.newsarama.com/40541-feige-marvel-studios-film-will-have-openly-lgbtq-characters-in-upcoming-films.html posted:

Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige has stated that there will be openly LGBTQ characters in future Marvel films - and that at least one has already debuted. In an interview with The Playlist, Feige was asked if an LGBTQ character was "in the works", which Feige answered succinctly, "Yes."

In a follow-up asking if it would be a new character or a previously-appeared character revealing their sexuality, Feige expounded, saying "Both."

"Both ones you’ve seen and ones you haven’t seen."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

site posted:

Hmm dunno why it got deleted but the article seems to still be up

We know there was a scene filmed for Thor Ragnarok establishing Valkyrie as a lesbian (or bisexual, I suppose) that was cut from the final product, so that's one. There have also been persistent rumors without a credible source that Mantis is meant to be a lesbian.

For showing that openly in their movies, I'll believe it when I see it. Far less an actual major character being queer.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sign my petition to hire a mercenary outfit to kidnap Kevin Feige and hold him at an undisclosed location until Cap is made openly gay, no backsies.

And before you ask, he's a switch. Because he represents all Americans.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The dark dimension brings dormammu. He lives there.

And I cared.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Basically siphoning power from the Dark Dimension is like siphoning it from Hell. You may not be directly helping the things that live there, but it certainly doesn't help keep them contained.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Lets do like those guys are doing with The Last Jedi and club together the money to remake Thor 2 ourselves. Who knows what would make a good Thor movie better than us? It will be taking Thor back to his pre-SJW roots. He'll lose his walking stick and have to search New York for it as Dr. Donald Blake for 95% of the movie. Let the magic happen!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

bessantj posted:

Lets do like those guys are doing with The Last Jedi and club together the money to remake Thor 2 ourselves. Who knows what would make a good Thor movie better than us? It will be taking Thor back to his pre-SJW roots. He'll lose his walking stick and have to search New York for it as Dr. Donald Blake for 95% of the movie. Let the magic happen!

And he'll fight Bi-Beast, nto cuz he's a Thor Villain but because that'll stick to all those "inclusive" characters that pander to the 98% of human beings that aren't specifically me.

• Locked thread