Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

xtal posted:

✔ Due process
✔ Rule of law

The complete list of ways in which mob rule is superior to due process and/or rule of law is below:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

tagesschau posted:

The complete list of ways in which mob rule is superior to due process and/or rule of law is below:

Pretty certain xtal is saying that due process and rule of law, as applied in reality, are a joke, given that the legal system inherently favors the wealthy and powerful who can insulate themselves from actual consequences the overwhelming majority of the time so there are multiple tiers of rule of law and due process applied.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I hope all of you saying that people accused of crimes don't deserve due process get to experience what it's like to be handcuffed and charged with a pile of bullshit you didn't even do. It loving sucks and it ruins lives.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't say anyone "didn't deserve" due process, though, just that it isn't effective. I think that you agree with me overall judging by your last sentence

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

EvilJoven posted:

I hope all of you saying that people accused of crimes don't deserve due process

All zero people saying this will surely follow your suggestions!

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Chillyrabbit posted:

All those are true, especially the last one (people can be assholes because they are human). I just disagree that sexual assault/harassment crimes have to only be dealt with outside of the legal system. Either we have due process for everyone or you have mob justice which can be as easily perverted as an inept legal system.

Example:
I hate John because he got a promotion, just gin up a sexual assault case let the mob destroy him (without due process, evidence who needs evidence believe the victim) and waltz right up the ladder.

I understand its not likely, but it is a possibility if we just allow and facilitate people to work outside the legal system.

The current system may be failing or not working, but if it goes too far in the other direction (eliminate pesky due process and the rules around evidence) its just as bad. I'm skeptical that we need social media blitzes to publish far and wide accusations that are just that, accusations with no evidence backing them up. You can't force anyone to believe everything especially if there is no evidence.

There are many counter examples where sexual harassment and even assault is used to police men and especially women in the workforce and to effectively shut them out of certain workplaces, jobs or even entire industries. The current system is failing to protect people from predatory sexual behavior. You're raising concerns about false accusations but overlooking that there are likely far more cases going in the opposite direction, where unpunished sexual harassment is what ruins careers.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Aug 25, 2018

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Jagmeet Singh MUST answer for this atrocity. Get Terry Milewski on the case ASAP!

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jun 24, 2018

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Chillyrabbit posted:

Recently read about Steven Galloway at UBC (long read, but I thought it laid out all the pertinent points) and how he got railroaded. An important enough allegation to just destroy his career, but the initial crime was never found to have been committed or as far as I can tell investigated by police.

Admittedly bone headed move with his relationships with students since its an unbalanced teacher-student relationship, which was why he was terminated.

I strongly believe that you should always tell the police about possible crimes and not just go onto social media to destroy a person before due process. Patrick brown or Justin Trudeau, all crimes should be a legal police/court matter not a mob pushing for "justice". Otherwise we have horridly slid down a path of anarchy where a mob decides the rules and punishment for people and the Rule of Law is dead.

You want to know how to avoid sexual harassment and assault complaints from your students as a prof?

DON'T TRY TO gently caress YOUR STUDENTS.

If you gently caress your students and end up fired? Good. All your colleagues thought you were a sleazy piece of poo poo who gives us all a bad rep and we're not sad to see you go.

At literally any other business, if a manager carried on an illicit affair with a subordinate and then that subordinate spoke out and said that it wasn't always consensual, that loving manager should be loving fired. Don't sleep with your subordinates. Don't poo poo where you eat. gently caress literally anyone else in the world.

Due process? Yeah, you get due process if they try to charge you with something. Which nobody did. If this guy had gotten arrested and jailed based on rumours and whispers, I'd be on your side - you can't and shouldn't send someone to prison for what he did with the kind of evidence we have. But profs getting fired for sleeping with their students is something that needs to happen far more often. The entire loving reason why we get told not to sleep with our students is because we won't always know at what point the student starts to have reservations or doubts because they won't feel like they are in a position not to consent. And we do get told, we do get warned, and we do get trained, so it's not like this douchebag didn't know what he was doing. You can't act surprised "oh, she never told me when it got to the point where she was uncomfortable," because as a prof you have been taught that students in that kind of relationship won't always feel able to tell you honestly. He knew what he was doing, he knew it was wrong, he knew it could cost him his job, and he did it anyway. To have sympathy for him is foolish.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Aug 25, 2018

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

patonthebach posted:

It's the PM being accused of sexually assaulting someone. I'd say that deserves a proper investigation from police.

If we found a press clipping that the PM tries to rob a bank in 2002. But the teller doesn't want to talk about it , would we not still try to find out what really happened?

This isn't a story of him stealing a chocolate bar. Its touching someone sexually that's unwanted. It's a big loving deal. He's running the country.

The bank analogy sucks because if there was a robbery there would be a pretty substantial record of a robbery taking place and a stack of files in a BC police station somewhere.

How seriously do you think police would take a complainant in 2000 if she told them that the PMs son came up behind her and grabbed her rear end unannounced.

I agree with you that the crime is severe but it’s a dead end right now unless an actual victim comes for and makes a complaint.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

DariusLikewise posted:

The bank analogy sucks because if there was a robbery there would be a pretty substantial record of a robbery taking place and a stack of files in a BC police station somewhere.

Also robberies and burglaries go unreported all the time, for a variety of reasons.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Jimbozig posted:

Hella agreed, and I don't really care to dig into the minutiae of exactly what this guy did or didn't do consent wise, but he's clearly a dirtbag to start with for cheating on the wife he had multiple children with.

That poo poo don't fly and should be fine grounds for ruining your reputation.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Jimbozig posted:

You want to know how to avoid sexual harassment and assault complaints from your students as a prof?

If you gently caress your students and end up fired? Good. All your colleagues thought you were a sleazy piece of poo poo who gives us all a bad rep and we're not sad to see you go.

At literally any other business, if a manager carried on an illicit affair with a subordinate and then that subordinate spoke out and said that it wasn't always consensual, that loving manager should be loving fired. Don't sleep with your subordinates. Don't poo poo where you eat. gently caress literally anyone else in the world.

Due process? Yeah, you get due process if they try to charge you with something. Which nobody did. If this guy had gotten arrested and jailed based on rumours and whispers, I'd be on your side - you can't and shouldn't send someone to prison for what he did with the kind of evidence we have. But profs getting fired for sleeping with their students is something that needs to happen far more often. The entire loving reason why we get told not to sleep with our students is because we won't always know at what point the student starts to have reservations or doubts because they won't feel like they are in a position not to consent. And we do get told, we do get warned, and we do get trained, so it's not like this douchebag didn't know what he was doing. You can't act surprised "oh, she never told me when it got to the point where she was uncomfortable," because as a prof you have been taught that students in that kind of relationship won't always feel able to tell you honestly. He knew what he was doing, he knew it was wrong, he knew it could cost him his job, and he did it anyway. To have sympathy for him is foolish.

The anonymous complainant MC was described as

quote:

MC is five years Galloway’s senior, and had arrived at UBC with a master’s degree from another institution and two previous tenure-track positions at U.S. universities. (She continues to teach at one of these universities today.) She cannot credibly be cast as a starry-eyed ingénue beguiled by Galloway’s reputation. In fact, at the time of their affair, Galloway held no tenure, or any administrative role in the Creating Writing department, but rather was a mere sessional instructor working on a year-to-year contract.

The other ancillary complainants were described as

quote:

She’d promised to bring forward 19 assault complainants against Galloway. Instead she brought forward herself and seven of her friends. And even in these cases, the complaints were mostly frivolous—the sort of stories one might see on RateMyProfessors.com. All of the allegations made by these eight “Ancillary Complainants” (as they became known) were eventually dismissed. More importantly, so was the central rape allegation made by MC.

I assume he thought at the time they were 2 consenting adults being nearish in age and status him a sessional instructor barely 1 step up from a graduate student that teaches labs, (and not exactly a 40 year old tenured professor loving an 18 year old 1st year) that what he was doing while scummy not actually against UBC policies at the time. The existing conflict of interest policy was that a student can't be be directly connected professionally to the teacher.

Let me be clear he should have been disciplined for having that affair, and possibly the relationship between his students (none of which were founded by Former Justice Mary Ellen Boyd to meet the definition of harassment).

But there should also be due process within their firing practices, the way they presented the Galloway case to the media it made it seem like their mind was made up about it and Galloway eventually won $167,000 for how they handled his termination.

News article

quote:

The faculty association, it was revealed Friday, filed two grievances. In December, 2015, it argued that UBC had violated Mr. Galloway’s privacy rights, causing him irreparable damage to his reputation and financial loss.

Then in July, 2016, after Mr. Galloway was fired, the association argued there had been “substantial procedural violations” by UBC administration and that the university’s communications regarding the termination “had been misleading and had caused both serious reputational damage and ongoing personal suffering” to Mr. Galloway.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's a pretty great society to live in if you like to rape people or kill people with your vehicle. The perfect crime would be a combo rape/negligent driving death. Statistically it wouldn't just have a 0% conviction rate it would have a negative conviction rate, where the victims would sometimes be found guilty of the crime instead of you.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

It's a pretty great society to live in if you like to rape people or kill people with your vehicle. The perfect crime would be a combo rape/negligent driving death. Statistically it wouldn't just have a 0% conviction rate it would have a negative conviction rate, where the victims would sometimes be found guilty of the crime instead of you.

Biking in the road dressed like that? Your Honour she gave me no choice

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

The Butcher fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jun 25, 2018

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Jimbozig posted:

:agreed: and lmfao at how revealing it is when creeps and chuds leap to defend ppl who do this

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

That is one immensely depressing chart.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

zapplez posted:

That is one immensely depressing chart.

I think that originally came up during the Ghomeshi trials?

I think that was also when they mentioned that 1 in 3 women in Canada have been or will be victims as well.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

PT6A posted:

Also robberies and burglaries go unreported all the time, for a variety of reasons.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

James Baud posted:

On a somewhat related topic, there hasn't been a lot of talk about the last by-election loss and the NDP basically writing off their Quebec seats.

Seeing all this potential and their steely resolve to never make anything of it, I'm starting to understand why my teachers were so perpetually frustrated with me.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Can you plot Trudeau beside Patrick Brown and Kent Hehr for me, having trouble visualizing where he lands on this chart

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Canada has no shortage of nuclear takes

https://twitter.com/jonkay/status/1010909503561191424?s=19

Good one jon

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
The CRA is still unfunded and can't collect taxes, maybe they should talk to some of those call centers that ask for iTunes giftcards?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tax-debt-liberal-budget-collections-1.4715967

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Risky Bisquick posted:

Can you plot Trudeau beside Patrick Brown and Kent Hehr for me, having trouble visualizing where he lands on this chart

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

DariusLikewise posted:

The CRA is still unfunded and can't collect taxes, maybe they should talk to some of those call centers that ask for iTunes giftcards?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tax-debt-liberal-budget-collections-1.4715967

This poo poo is so annoying. It's free money. The CRA should be obligated to hire people for enforcement as long as there's a financial case for it, unencumbered by politics. Hell, even in the event that hiring new people becomes revenue neutral, it's still means that one more person has a decently paid job.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

brucio posted:

Canada has no shortage of nuclear takes

https://twitter.com/jonkay/status/1010909503561191424?s=19

Good one jon
he is a hot take machine

https://twitter.com/jonkay/status/1009416795776802819?s=21

"make the left marxist again!"

https://twitter.com/jonkay/status/1010668653040168960

"just get your staff to spend 5 hours making a sculpture out of cake batter! i am very smart"

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 25, 2018

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Speaking of awful right wingers, the crown is recommending 150 years for Alexandre Bissonnette. His dad thinks this is just unfair political persecution, don't they know Alex was bullied at school :qq:

quote:

The father of Quebec City mosque shooter Alexandre Bissonnette is accusing prosecutors of seeking a political judgment against his son.

Raymond Bissonnette told reporters today at the Quebec City courthouse the Crown has sought to demonize Alexandre and ignored his mental health problems.

Bissonnette, 28, pleaded guilty earlier this year to six charges of first-degree murder and six of attempted murder after he walked into a mosque in the provincial capital in January 2017 and opened fire.

The defence has argued the killer should be eligible for parole after 25 years in prison while the Crown wants Bissonnette to receive a 150-year sentence.

Raymond Bissonnette says his son is not a monster but the victim of relentless bullying and intimidation during his school years, factors he says could have played a role in the shooting.
ffffffffffuck you

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

His son's about to go to jail forever, I think that excuses him from the obligation to make sense.

Still not under any delusions that lifelong sentences have any deterrent effect whatsoever. Makes the :bahgawd:TUFF ON CRIME:bahgawd: set happy I guess.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

flakeloaf posted:

Still not under any delusions that lifelong sentences have any deterrent effect whatsoever. Makes the :bahgawd:TUFF ON CRIME:bahgawd: set happy I guess.

You ever watch the Netflix documentary 'The Staircase'? People basically go up on trial, and up until the verdict is announced they'll have no clue how the trial went or whether they'll really have to do the time that they're up against (In this case life in prison). Deterrence is a joke, and no one calculates the cost benefit analysis of an action before committing a crime.

Not saying the mosque shooter doesn't deserve to be punished, this is just a comment on long prison sentences and their over abundance in NA.

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 25, 2018

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

i mean i don't care if he gets 150 years or 25. his gross dad would definitely still be reading the 'poor troubled white boy' script if the crown was only calling for 25 years. 100% guaranteed

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

THC posted:

i mean i don't care if he gets 150 years or 25. his gross dad would definitely still be reading the 'poor troubled white boy' script if the crown was only calling for 25 years. 100% guaranteed

What would your dad do?

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Yeah, but was there ever a world where the defense and his dad were ever going to be levelheaded and objective? I think your son blowing up a mosque is bound to break your brain a little bit. I don't think it's insane to specifically give a father a pass on not calling for his son to be incarcerated for life.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

What would your dad do?

Raise a son who didn't murder a bunch of people in a mosque? I mean, if we're doing hypotheticals.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah I mean Bissonnette is a piece of poo poo who deserves a life behind bars but like, it's got to be a tough thing for a parent to deal with that 1. Their child is a monster and 2. They're never going to see them not separated by bars again. You can't expect a parent to instantly act cold and rational about their child.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 25, 2018

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

infernal machines posted:

Raise a son who didn't murder a bunch of people in a mosque? I mean, if we're doing hypotheticals.

Love it. How many years in jail do the parents deserve (in your opinion)? I wouldn't feel terrible throwing 10 out there.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Toalpaz posted:

Not saying the mosque shooter doesn't deserve to be punished, this is just a comment on long prison sentences and their over abundance in NA.

You think most sentences are too long in NA? Man, don't read about the length of time a typical sex offender or gang shooter gets in Canada. You might be surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Love it. How many years in jail do the parents deserve (in your opinion)? I wouldn't feel terrible throwing 10 out there.

None, but it's a stupid question to begin with.