Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
https://twitter.com/dril/status/473265809079693312

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Went for a drive with the in-laws. FIL was driving his F250. We were a foot behind the stop line, and still almost got creamed by a guy towing a trailer who doesn't understand how to leave extra room for the trailer. He was really almost a hairs breadth away from ripping off the truck's bumper.

Learn to tow a drat trailer!!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

wayfinder posted:

No, you're wrong.

I bet this line will work great if a cop pulls you over for running a red on your bike!

e: these are the cyclists you share a road with

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

I bet this line will work great if a cop pulls you over for running a red on your bike!

e: these are the cyclists you share a road with

what

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

your dumb argument that running a red light on a bicycle is somehow less bad than running a red light in a car. It would not hold water in court.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

There's a lot of "what" responses but this was in response to the "light cycling in my car" comment, and just in case it's not sarcastic and you're from a rural area or something, many street lights use weight sensors at the first position but you have to weigh several hundred pounds to trigger it, so a bicycle would just sit there forever.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

davebo posted:

There's a lot of "what" responses but this was in response to the "light cycling in my car" comment, and just in case it's not sarcastic and you're from a rural area or something, many street lights use weight sensors at the first position but you have to weigh several hundred pounds to trigger it, so a bicycle would just sit there forever.

Exactly this.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also magnet sensors don't particularly work when a lot of (high end) bikes are made out of carbon. Mine's aluminum, which has the same problem, thought not as bad.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Among my friends/peers I find that the most vocal complainers about other road users are also the shittiest drivers. I'm not sure if it's because they've had more close calls, or if it's the same mechanism you see when someone on the road fucks up, gets called on it, and then proceeds to :flick cigarette at u and peel out:

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

your dumb argument that running a red light on a bicycle is somehow less bad than running a red light in a car. It would not hold water in court.

You are wrong, it absolutely would.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I hope this is not a repeat, it is from 2016, but I don't remember seeing it here. I guess pushing the motorcycle over the grass and through the bushes is maybe a little disrespectful to the owner of the gas station and the ending was a little un-necessary but I cant think of explanation for the car driver's actions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4pNwfu51cM

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

davebo posted:

Yeah, it wasn't sarcastic, sorry if it came off that way. Thanks for the info!

wayfinder posted:

lol ok chief

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Crotch Fruit posted:

I cant think of explanation for the car driver's actions.

Mental illness?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Easychair Bootson posted:

Among my friends/peers I find that the most vocal complainers about other road users are also the shittiest drivers. I'm not sure if it's because they've had more close calls, or if it's the same mechanism you see when someone on the road fucks up, gets called on it, and then proceeds to :flick cigarette at u and peel out:

I think it depends on the area too, I live in the midwest and I've seen plenty of cyclists outright ignore stop lights and signs. It's baffling especially at busy intersections watching some jackoff on a mountain bike blow through a red, get honked at, then throw their arms up like they didn't know they hosed up.

Bitch, doesn't matter if your little two-wheeled transport doesn't have an engine, by law you're considered a vehicle and are bound to the same loving laws as other cars. I won't be the least bit shocked or sympathetic when you pull a stupid stunt like that and end up a quadriplegic for your trouble you loving dunce.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

wayfinder posted:

Whilst of course I don't wish death on another internet user, if you as a pedestrian were to die under the wheel of a red light running cyclist, would your last thoughts be that this is okay, it was a cyclist, or would they be another dumb repetition of "what"?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

from a crumpled bloody heap on the sidewalk, a faint whimper is heard

"...it's ok bro you looked 3 times before running the red"

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

iospace posted:

Also magnet sensors don't particularly work when a lot of (high end) bikes are made out of carbon. Mine's aluminum, which has the same problem, thought not as bad.

Even motorcycles have issues with those sensors, especially sport bikes which do not have a lot of steel. Leaving work one late night, years ago, I got pulled over after waiting at a left turn light for several minutes. I saw the cop sitting in a parking lot, and knew he saw me, so I gave the light every chance to change. Repositioned myself over the sensor, stomped on it, nothing worked. He let me off, since he had seen me trying to get the light to change, but did let me know that not all traffic LEOs would be as understanding.

I think he mainly pulled me to make sure I wasn't drunk and my paperwork was all up to date.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

He pulled you over because you gave him an excuse and he enjoys the power trip. Digging through your papers for an excuse to ticket was just bonus chance.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

cakesmith handyman posted:

Whilst of course I don't wish death on another internet user, if you as a pedestrian were to die under the wheel of a red light running cyclist, would your last thoughts be that this is okay, it was a cyclist, or would they be another dumb repetition of "what"?

:confused: it appears that you think getting hit by a bike is the same as getting hit by a semi?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

wayfinder posted:

:confused: it appears that you think getting hit by a bike is the same as getting hit by a semi?

Trick question. The semi swerved to avoid a cyclist who ran a red light.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
On my bike I sometimes hit pedestrians who ignore red pedestrian lights at intersections and walk out onto the street anyway, because this happens all the time in Amsterdam. None of them died yet, or had any sort of injury. Hitting someone with a bike just isn't the same as hitting them with a vehicle that weighs a tonne or two. Pedestrians are also less wary of getting hit by a bike than by a car.

When driving I also look more carefully to see if any peds or cyclists aren't getting in my way because I'm the one in the heavy machinery... And of course it's good to look around even when you have a green light in any case, because there could be an emergency vehicle legally running a red light somewhere.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yeah but you're from a country where people drive like not-psychos, also 90% of the cars in the actual city are subcompacts

e: also you guys share bike lanes with mopeds and scooters and those will gently caress a pedestrian's day right up

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
A few years back, I was out for a late night run in a pretty poorly-lit area. Should have had a light on me. About 15 minutes in, I see a teen texting behind the wheel coming from the other direction, downward-cast face aglow in the light of his cellphone. But he kept a pretty straight line and looked up occasionally, so I thought I was completely fine sticking to the far right.

Wrong. Just before he reaches me, he looks up from his phone, sees me, and, for whatever reason, panics. He jerks to his left and suddenly I've got him barreling down on me—no chance of dodging out of the way in time. Hit me pretty solidly on my left side.

I manage to scrape myself up off the asphalt, then hobble over to give him a hand. Poor kid's scraped his leg up something nasty, but I help him to his feet and we get his bike back up, more or less in working order.

Don't text and ride, kids.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I would have helped him up and as soon as he got on his bike again kicked him square in the hips. Ugh

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Flint Ironstag posted:

Even motorcycles have issues with those sensors, especially sport bikes which do not have a lot of steel. Leaving work one late night, years ago, I got pulled over after waiting at a left turn light for several minutes. I saw the cop sitting in a parking lot, and knew he saw me, so I gave the light every chance to change. Repositioned myself over the sensor, stomped on it, nothing worked. He let me off, since he had seen me trying to get the light to change, but did let me know that not all traffic LEOs would be as understanding.

I think he mainly pulled me to make sure I wasn't drunk and my paperwork was all up to date.

If you get in that situation again, try shutting off your engine and re-starting. I've heard that will sometimes trip a sensor. (dunno why it might work, just something I heard once)

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Protocol7 posted:

Went for a drive with the in-laws. FIL was driving his F250. We were a foot behind the stop line, and still almost got creamed by a guy towing a trailer who doesn't understand how to leave extra room for the trailer. He was really almost a hairs breadth away from ripping off the truck's bumper.

Learn to tow a drat trailer!!

I find most people take left turns too sharply for their own good. Causes disruptions in situations of multiple turn lanes. Those painted lines usually follow a decent trajectory but are often ignored egregiously.

I'm usually 3/4 car length into a typical intersection (2 lanes each way, both n/s and e/w) before I start turning my wheel.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Yeah but you're from a country where people drive like not-psychos, also 90% of the cars in the actual city are subcompacts

e: also you guys share bike lanes with mopeds and scooters and those will gently caress a pedestrian's day right up

I can assure you, every place has people who drive like psychos. Not sure what your point with the subcompacts is, or with the mopeds?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I've noticed a strong correlation between large numbers of political bumper stickers and driving like a gaping rear end in a top hat. Anybody who feels the need to plaster their vehicle with issue stickers is probably so far up their own rear end they cannot even fathom that they might be performing any activity poorly under any circumstances.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

wayfinder posted:

It appears you're avoiding the question of "is it okay if you're killed by a cyclist?"

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

wayfinder posted:

I can assure you, every place has people who drive like psychos. Not sure what your point with the subcompacts is, or with the mopeds?

lol

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, last night, riding to the store to pick up some things after work. It's dark out, but I have my lights on and such (and no, I don't use flashing lights at night). I need to make a left turn, and there's someone on the street I'm turning on. The rear end in a top hat thinks it's cool to ignore me signalling that I'm turning left and try to pull into me as I turn.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I was a few cars back but saw a "Don't be a bumper humper, my brakes work good, how is your insurance?" plastered in the back window of a pickup.

Granted after a couple decades of driving I probably live a sheltered life and this is some meme. At the same time, a GMC pickup with good brakes would be an anomaly.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Colostomy Bag posted:

I was a few cars back but saw a "Don't be a bumper humper, my brakes work good, how is your insurance?" plastered in the back window of a pickup.

I'm curious as to what their insurance would say about that sticker if they were ever rear ended.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

xergm posted:

I'm curious as to what their insurance would say about that sticker if they were ever rear ended.

laugh, as of this week speech no longer matters wrt legal intent

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

xergm posted:

The same thing that they'd say if someone rear-ended a bus with a "This vehicle stops at all railroad crossings" sticker. Nothing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Given how many places automatically assign 100% fault to whoever was in back you could probably put a "ram me, I enjoy it" on the rear window and be fine.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

"tailgate me harder, daddy"

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

xzzy posted:

Given how many places automatically assign 100% fault to whoever was in back you could probably put a "ram me, I enjoy it" on the rear window and be fine.

Nah, it’s not automatic. They look at the points of impact and statements.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
These are the people you share the median with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Gets home, "see honey I knew we should have bought that F150."