Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

Someone in this thread may or may not have been one of the first people to vandalize his office :ninja:

That hypothetical person deserves a high five and a pint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

infernal machines posted:

That hypothetical person deserves a high five and a pint.

Agreed, though first rule of crime club is “Don’t post about crimes.”

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

What if they’re cool crimes?

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Also capitalism is a crime.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

ocrumsprug posted:

High fives aren't a crime

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

_o> <o_ HIGH FIVE _o/ \o_

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

Someone in this thread may or may not have been one of the first people to vandalize his office :ninja:

this hypothetical person loving rules

ocrumsprug posted:

says you, i always admit my crimes immediately to anyone who asks

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/munsimunsi/status/1011737324999151616

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Defense Watch Watch

Davie Shipyard gets contract for three commercial icebreakers for Canadian Coast Guard. Considering how far behind everything is, this is good, though I suspect at least a big a consideration was cushioning economic damage to certain ridings from Trump's Tarriffs. As long as these are ordered off the shelf, they should be fine;

Irving shipyard workers ratify new contract, avoiding work stoppage. The pay increases sound consummate with inflation;

Vice Admiral Norman has been officially removed from his position. Norman was trying to access a federal civil service lawsuit fund to, er, fund his lawsuit against the federal government, which was likely the reason.

The Canadian Army has a C6 shortage. Known in America as the M240, known in Belgium as FN...something, the C6 shortage was caused by Canada donating the machine guns to the Ukraine. Canada had already planned to replace its C6s with a modern update from FN they were calling the C6 FLEX, but they are due to arrive in 2019.

This is not the first time a shortage has cropped up, with the CF issuing an appeal in the Ottawa area for spare rucksacks and sleeping bags. This was because Canada has donated quite a bit of equipment to the Ukraine (good!) and - guess what guys - is being really slow at replacing it. (not good!)

quote:

In 2014 the Conservative government removed 735 sleeping bags from the Canadian Forces stock and donated them to Ukraine’s military.

Actually, a lot of Canadian military equipment can be found in Ukraine. In August 2014, Canada supplied 30,000 pairs of ballistic eyewear, 2,300 bullet-proof vests, 350 first aid kits, 7,000 helmets, 735 sleeping bags and 100 tents.

In November 2014 Canada announced another shipment from Canadian Forces stocks, including 30,000 coats, 30,000 pairs of pants, 70,000 pairs of boots and 4,500 pairs of gloves

The Canadian government spent $1.6 million to ship $5 million worth of equipment, according to figures obtained by the Ottawa Citizen.

Canada's peacekeeper force at all time low. This is somewhat conspicuous, as lots of our Allies, rightly or wrongly, want Canada in on the Saharan mission.

This one is messy: NEB is sadly not a program for the construction of Canadian Airships, but the National Energy Board. NEB regulates inter-provincial and international energy production (so pipelines, electrical transmission lines etc.) It was supposed to be independent from politics, with a mandate to develop energy production to the "benefit of all Canadians" but since the Harper admin has fallen into disrepute. [footnotes: a shitload of messy politics where nobody looks good.] Anyway, the Canadian Army General who once had David Pugliese, Ottawa Citizen reporter on the defense beat investigated by the secret squirrel squad of the RCMP for a month over the disclosure of "secret documents" (that Pugliese googled and got off a government website, and Pugliese told the RCMP that) has...done it again. This General, now VP in charge of NEB's “transparency and strategic engagement” (because if you are a Fed who lashes out at reporters when they discover embarrassing poo poo OF COURSE you would give them that job) has had to resign. He's once again had a reporter "investigated for state secrets nonsense", this time reporter Dan De Souza:

quote:

De Souza had revealed that NEB management hired private investigators – on your tax dollar – to find out who leaked to him information that one of the top NEB officials joked about giving NEB staff Tasers so they could deal with oil pipeline protesters.

Shortly after that, De Souza did an article about how the NEB violated his privacy and provided his private banking information to a third party.

quote:

That prompted the NEB to spend $24,150 of your tax dollars to hire Presidia, an Ottawa security firm, to try to hunt down De Souza’s sources. (Presidia, which has a number of former military police officer on staff, ultimately failed to find the journalist’s source).

The security firm was hired by Sylvain Bedard, who had worked closely with Touchette at DND and was a key player in the Canadian Forces Public Affairs leadership as he was Director General Public Affairs.

Last year Touchette defended the $24,150-contract to Presidia, telling the National Observer it was a good idea to hire a private security firm to investigate her own staff.

The civil servants behind this clown show were of course rewarded:

quote:

Later, Bedard took an extended leave of absence but the NEB would not provide an explanation for that. NEB spokeswoman Kiley declined to say whether taxpayers were paying Bedard’s salary (estimated to be around $150,000 annually) during that leave period. She told Defence Watch that is considered personal information under the Privacy Act.

[...]

Touchette left for a new executive job in Paris with the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, De Souza has reported.

Clearly if you are willing to do any dirty deed for your political masters regardless of how ill-advised or dumb, you are the best kind of person by the lights of the Federal civil service.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

Canada's peacekeeper force at all time low.

this would be nice, imo

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
we need more peacekeepers .... LGM-118s....

Dinosaurtrain
Mar 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich
who cares

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i really dont care, do u?

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
we could have a really good peacekeeping force by not selling weapons to the saudis

:thunk:

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

we could have a really good peacekeeping force by not selling weapons to the saudis

:thunk:

Also by not giving all our army's guns away to the anti-Russian, sort of Nazis but only for heritage reasons Ukrainian soldiers.

Dinosaurtrain
Mar 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich
Conrad black writes for Postmedia??????????

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

dumping a bunch of guns into a country, with a side-benefit that it might go warzone, just so you can buy a different gun with fins or something

fuckin' shady.

Ill Peripheral
Jun 29, 2008

Dinosaurtrain posted:

Conrad black writes for Postmedia??????????

Started as soon as he got out of prison. He's real bad!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/naked-man-canada-post-truck-crowchild-crash-1.4734336

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

jfood posted:

dumping a bunch of guns into a country, with a side-benefit that it might go warzone, just so you can buy a different gun with fins or something

fuckin' shady.

gotta get rid of those guns somehow

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

what do you mean "reuse the materials to make the new guns or for non-murder purposes"

it's like you know nothing about economics

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

do guns recycle effectively? I’d never really thought about the mechanics of the plowshares thing

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
On the topic of the folks in Ottawa grabbing asses, my favorite remains this one:

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/report-flyers-captain-claude-giroux-arrested-in-ottawa/ posted:

Philadelphia Flyers captain Claude Giroux spent the night in an Ottawa jail according to a report from the Ottawa Sun. The alleged incident that reportedly landed the Flyers forward in handcuffs involved a police officer.

More from the Sun:

Although few details were immediately available, a source said Giroux was arrested for repeatedly grabbing the buttocks of a male police officer. Alcohol is believed to have been involved.

The incident occurred at a bar in the Byward Market the source said.

Ottawa Police have refused any comment on the incident. Police said they cannot comment unless charges are laid, but several sources did confirm to the Sun Giroux spent the night in jail.

Sources say he is expected to be released without any criminal charges.

Rich white guy = no charges!

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

James Baud posted:

Rich white guy = no charges!

see also: former ontario ag michael bryant

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Greyhound has just announced they're pulling out of Western Canada completely (BC through Northern Ontario) with the exception of a Seattle-Vancouver route operated from the US.

Decapitations seem bad for business.

(Apparently 350k Canadians board airplanes every day now, per some other article I skimmed this morning.)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

So there's just no inter-city bus service anywhere west of Sault Ste. Marie now?

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

infernal machines posted:

So there's just no inter-city bus service anywhere west of Thunder Bay now?

I know BC's provincial government (well, BC Transit) has started running a few lines with once-a-day service around the interior because of Greyhound's previous cuts, but basically screw you poor/old people, especially if you have the nerve to want to go from one spoke to another, instead of just to nearest hub.

Unclear whether Greyhound's non-passenger service remains intact after this latest announcement.

(I've never actually ridden a greyhound bus, but tons of people use them if they can't catch a seat sale since $40 one way sure beats $250 when it hardly takes any longer to travel once airport waits are included.)

Can't speak to other provinces.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'd emphasize that the BC Transit routes are always "tiny towns to nearest city with a hospital worth a drat", no long haul.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Buses are the only cost-effective way for people to travel across all the western provinces and this will gently caress up a lot of low-income people

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The routes I know of here in Ontario (many of which aren't cancelled it seems) are mostly milk-runs from town to town along the highways, with a terminus in whatever "city" is closest at either end. Basically, without them there's no way of getting to or out of these places without a car. GO (provincial transit) has a tiny little footprint that barely extends past the edges of the GTHA.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
It's almost as if relying on the profit motive of a private corporation was a bad way to subsidize rural living. It's perfectly rational for Greyhound to stop running these unprofitable routes, but it is very likely in the public interest to have unprofitable transportation service these small communities.

Dinosaurtrain
Mar 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich
hmm if only there were some kind of political ideology that describes the distribution of resources from those who are most fortunate and lucky to those who are less so. oh well I guess they have no choice and should keep voting for the bcliberals

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

vyelkin posted:

It's almost as if relying on the profit motive of a private corporation was a bad way to subsidize rural living. It's perfectly rational for Greyhound to stop running these unprofitable routes, but it is very likely in the public interest to have unprofitable transportation service these small communities.

just empty quote this forever.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Dinosaurtrain posted:

hmm if only there were some kind of political ideology that describes the distribution of resources from those who are most fortunate and lucky to those who are less so. oh well I guess they have no choice and should keep voting for the bcliberals

The old reverse lottery

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

James Baud posted:

Greyhound has just announced they're pulling out of Western Canada completely (BC through Northern Ontario) with the exception of a Seattle-Vancouver route operated from the US.

Decapitations seem bad for business.

(Apparently 350k Canadians board airplanes every day now, per some other article I skimmed this morning.)

loving lol. The Sask Party (Con-lib joint party) just sold the crown bus company here last year, leaving the elderly, poor, and anyone in small towns no way to get anywhere. They went on about how the private companies would fill the void, but now they're even more hosed.

Tiberius Thyben has issued a correction as of 22:42 on Jul 9, 2018

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I came to Vancouver from Montreal on a greyhound so rip I guess. Highlight was some stoned old biker going from Toronto to Vancouver who had bought new luggage but forgot what it looked like by the time he arrived.

I think it's Saskatchewan that has it's own bus service for rural communities? Do they still have that? guess not

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Reality Loser posted:

I came to Vancouver from Montreal on a greyhound so rip I guess. Highlight was some stoned old biker going from Toronto to Vancouver who had bought new luggage but forgot what it looked like by the time he arrived.

I think it's Saskatchewan that has it's own bus service for rural communities? Do they still have that? guess not

Yup. We had it until last year, and it was really good. I was actually on the second to last bus from Regina to Saskatoon. Everyone there was pissed off.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Yup. We had it until last year, and it was really good. I was actually on the second to last bus from Regina to Saskatoon. Everyone there was pissed off.

Uhh why don't they just get together and start their own bus company? It's called the free market dumbasses!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

vyelkin posted:

i wonder if anyone has ever stopped and thought why rural communities have phone line access at all