Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kilinrax
Oct 27, 2014

Those eyes ... they disappeared.

Dan Didio posted:

Farron Swamp is really slow, yeah. It's not particularly challenging, but you're just forced to slog and it becomes draining.

There's a speedrun strat for the swamp, just head diagonally right across the swamp from the first bonfire (quickstep helps). You'll end up at the entrance to the third fire from the right side, without aggro-ing the elder ghru shaman (big tree wielding red ghost things). Put out the fire, optionally kill Heysel, homeward bone back, run through fires 1 & 2 as normal and straight up to the within the wall bonfire and on to the watchers. EZPZ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

kilinrax posted:

There's a speedrun strat for the swamp, just head diagonally right across the swamp from the first bonfire (quickstep helps). You'll end up at the entrance to the third fire from the right side, without aggro-ing the elder ghru shaman (big tree wielding red ghost things). Put out the fire, optionally kill Heysel, homeward bone back, run through fires 1 & 2 as normal and straight up to the within the wall bonfire and on to the watchers. EZPZ.

you still "need" to go through to grab the sage's coal, the nameless knight set, gold scroll/antiquated armor set, and whatever other junk you can find off of the speedrun path.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005
I have to say that Farron Keep...Aka Blighttown v. 3 (Or Valley of Defilement v. 4, if you're nasty) is one poison pit that I didn't really mind. The spacing of the islands of safety was nice and, other than those fucker basilisks over on the perimeter wall side, it didn't get too arduous.

Moving right along..

I need advice: I have a SL99 character that's 45/18 Strength/Dex with enough Vit and End to allow me to wear somewhat heavy gear and swing my big gently caress-off +10 Cathedral Knight great hammer (the black one with the big pinecone looking thing at the end) with abandon while keeping under 70 percent equip. I know people stop leveling at 120 so that gives me 21 points to mess with. I've found some weapons that have requirements, mainly a max of 15 in Int and 15 in faith. Would it be worth it to put that 12 points into those 2? Both stats are currently at 9 and I got an axe from those rear end in a top hat vikings in the Painting DLC that I think would be neat to use.

I dunno, I need advice on where to go from here. Would it be hard to get enough attunement in whatever to be able to buff my weapon as needed? I've never played a caster in any of these games.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

TyroneGoldstein posted:

I dunno, I need advice on where to go from here. Would it be hard to get enough attunement in whatever to be able to buff my weapon as needed? I've never played a caster in any of these games.

You need 10 Attunement for 1 slot (14 for 2), so judge from there. Magic Weapon needs 10 Int, Great Magic Weapon needs 15. Faith doesn't get an early buff, but healing can be nice for PvE if you want it. At 20 you can get Deep Protection which gives a small boost to almost everything for a minute (it's like 5% more damage, 5% increased absorption. 20 all resist, and a small stamina regen boost).

Getting one attunement slot is really nice in general though for the cheap pyromancies. Let's you cast things like Flash Sweat or Profuse Sweat for some extra resistances, Iron Flesh, Power Within if you just want to smash things, and so on.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!
Starting as an Assassin was good for that. Two slots, and Spook is a really useful spell due to preventing fall damage.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

TyroneGoldstein posted:

I've found some weapons that have requirements, mainly a max of 15 in Int and 15 in faith. Would it be worth it to put that 12 points into those 2?

if you're minmaxing damage and survivability, no, but 15 int/fth opens up hidden body, rapport, and a bunch of buffs and heals, and the ridiculous WA on the storyteller staff. with the quiet ring from orbeck hidden body lets you just run past most of everything or mess around poisoning and charming them

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

TyroneGoldstein posted:

I have to say that Farron Keep...Aka Blighttown v. 3 (Or Valley of Defilement v. 4, if you're nasty) is one poison pit that I didn't really mind. The spacing of the islands of safety was nice and, other than those fucker basilisks over on the perimeter wall side, it didn't get too arduous.

Moving right along..

I need advice: I have a SL99 character that's 45/18 Strength/Dex with enough Vit and End to allow me to wear somewhat heavy gear and swing my big gently caress-off +10 Cathedral Knight great hammer (the black one with the big pinecone looking thing at the end) with abandon while keeping under 70 percent equip. I know people stop leveling at 120 so that gives me 21 points to mess with. I've found some weapons that have requirements, mainly a max of 15 in Int and 15 in faith. Would it be worth it to put that 12 points into those 2? Both stats are currently at 9 and I got an axe from those rear end in a top hat vikings in the Painting DLC that I think would be neat to use.

If you're swinging big heavy weapons you're probably trading a fair amount, so I'd suggest going with faith, as the regen and healing spells will help if you're constantly taking small amounts of damage. 18 faith gives you the use of the chime you get from DLC2. The weapon art is a superior regen spell which can stack with another regen spell. Alternatively the attunement required for 2 slots gives you exactly enough FP for one cast each of tears of denial (which also requires 18 faith) and the regen weapon art.

With only 18 faith you could stack regen:
Chime weapon art
Regen spell
Regen ring
The shield you get from those Viking assholes you mentioned (better HP regen than a blessed infusion weapon)

And just trade hits for the rest of the game.

Since the great mace swings so slowly you're probably best off using bundles for buffs. By the time you cast a buff and get around to hitting something it'll almost be time for it to wear off.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Seriously. It is embarrassing going back to Dark Souls to see how easy it is. These bosses (at least up to the Capra Demon) are loving jokes.

Recently beating NiOh, I thought that game was way easier than Dark Souls, but I may be wrong.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Are Lords of the Fallen and Surge worth playing?

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

punk rebel ecks posted:

Are Lords of the Fallen and Surge worth playing?

Lords- definitely not. The classes are barely different and the combat is boring as poo poo. The levels are uninspired and not worth exploring.

Heard good things about The Surge but have never tried it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Lords isn’t terrible but it isn’t very good, and now that a GOTY contender comes out every other day, you can really do a lot better than a “you may or may not somewhat enjoy this” game.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Lords is alright if you can tollerate badly explained mechanics.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So I assume that Nioh is the best Souls type game that isn't Souls.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

How the gently caress is Dark Souls 3 DLC not on sale this Steam Sale!?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!
I'll probably replay Salt and Sanctuary soon. I mean, it's 2d Souls, but it is very good at being that.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
There's no such thing as 2D souls, stop saying that, stop doing the "Dark Souls of X" meme please I beg you. "2D souls" is just a metroidvania game, you know, the thing that Souls was inspired by

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

feelix posted:

There's no such thing as 2D souls, stop saying that, stop doing the "Dark Souls of X" meme please I beg you. "2D souls" is just a metroidvania game, you know, the thing that Souls was inspired by

Have you played it? It’s literally 2d souls to the point where no map exists, items have scaling and lore descriptions, bosses drop poo poo that can be transmutated into weapons, there are covenants, I can go on forever. Almost every single souls mechanic exists

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Normally you're right but S&S goes out of its way to rip off Dark Souls as much as possible while still being 2D

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

nachos posted:

Have you played it?

No I don't play bad games

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I know being an rear end in a top hat is like your 'thing' but correcting people when you don't know what you're talking about just makes you look like an idiot.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Stardew Valley is the Dark Souls of agriculture.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Sakurazuka posted:

I know being an rear end in a top hat is like your 'thing' but correcting people when you don't know what you're talking about just makes you look like an idiot.

Defending anime titties is your thing

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
lmao this game is hard holy poo poo. it took me like 3 tries to beat iudex gundyr. i started as pyromancer and fire infused my axe and im just getting slaughtered in the high wall over and over. pulled off the roof skip to get the css ring though.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
A 2d game that tries really loving hard to rip off souls is still closer to SOTN than it is to souls because it's still 2d

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Are the serpents from Sen's Fortress suppose to take so long to kill?

Maybe my weapon is too low.

I'm using a long sword +5. I didn't use a titanite shite yet, just used up the shards.

feelix posted:

Dark Souls isn't a 3D metroidvania. Metroid Prime is. Possibly also Soul Reaver.

feelix posted:

A 2d game that tries really loving hard to rip off souls is still closer to SOTN than it is to souls because it's still 2d

Dark Souls put into 2D is not a Metroidvania. Besides Dark Souls 1 they don't even have interconnected worlds, which is like the basis of that genre.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Yes upgrade your weapon. Also the snakes are dumb, predictable, and very open to backstabs/parries. Also they like dying to the traps lying around, bait them into the arrow traps and swinging axes.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

And Tyler Too! posted:

Yes upgrade your weapon. Also the snakes are dumb, predictable, and very open to backstabs/parries. Also they like dying to the traps lying around, bait them into the arrow traps and swinging axes.

They are also super resistant to physical damage. Once you get a bit further in you will find a weapon that can help.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Any kind of heavy weapon (Zweihander, various large Clubs, etc.) stuns them. If you have the Grass Crest Shield equipped (can be on your back while using a 2h weapon) you can attack, wait for your stamina to regen a bit while they start to get back up, attack again, etc. After the first hit you should have no trouble making them very dead.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!

feelix posted:

nachos posted:

Have you played it? It’s literally 2d souls to the point where no map exists, items have scaling and lore descriptions, bosses drop poo poo that can be transmutated into weapons, there are covenants, I can go on forever. Almost every single souls mechanic exists

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm using a long sword +5. I didn't use a titanite shite yet, just used up the shards.

Dark Souls isn't a 3D metroidvania. Metroid Prime is. Possibly also Soul Reaver.

Dark Souls put into 2D is not a Metroidvania. Besides Dark Souls 1 they don't even have interconnected worlds, which is like the basis of that genre.

The later DS games used the open-ended structure without (as much) interconnectedness, but both elements were inspired by Metroid and Castlevania. Salt and Sanctuary, however, is far more interconnected than Dark Souls and gates advancement with movement abilities instead of boss doors, etc, being a true Metroidvania. It also adapts as many mechanics from Dark Souls to 2d as possible. It is impossible to do this without making decisions, and some of those mean that the result is actually different from, and in some cases better than, how they are implemented in Dark Souls. For example, the factions actually matter to PvE and have some actual depth instead of being a vestigial mechanic, at the price of there being no real PvP.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
I enjoyed salt and sanctuary decently enough, I'd say it's worth a play if you like metroidvanias.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Something Awful is the dark souls of web forums.

Also don't buy the surge. It's attack animations suck. You press R1 once and do like, a thirteen second wushu staff dance-fight and get smashed by an enemy for it.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I wonder why I haven't heard about The Surge before. You'd think a "Sci-fi Souls" would get more attention. Similar to how "comicbook Zelda" (Darksiders) did.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Because it's pretty bad.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
What the gently caress, why has this estus soup gone nuclear?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

if only i could be so grossly incandescent

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Alright. I finished Dark Souls 1 DLC.

Artorias is the best boss fight in the series. He basically turns Dark Souls into a deep mechanical combat game.

Manus was pretty tough for a boss that's all about locking on and dodging.

I didn't fight Kalameet though. Is the fight worth it? Is it harder than Manus?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!

Cowcaster posted:

if only i could be so grossly incandescent

my sun, my dear dear sun...

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Artorias is the best boss fight in the series. He basically turns Dark Souls into a deep mechanical combat game.

He's a good fight, if you've come this far there's no reason got to give him a poke.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Boy, Gael's hard when you've been screwing around instead of focusing on a build so your weapons do jackall and also you skipped half the estus shards because you've been co-oping your way through the game. Can get him down to his last third now on this guy though. He started off using the javelins, then the exile greatsword, now the double greatswords.

I'd just move on and go through Irithyll Dungeon but that place sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

The real challenge to Kalameet is getting his tail drop. Good luck!