Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

exquisite tea posted:

Can you choose to not import your save from LiS season one, does it give you the option to choose a canon ending, or what?

I didn't see an option to import saves, I think it's a save import from this to LiS 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Yes. Top bookshelf as just mentioned.

Yes. Twice that I saw, christmas wishlist and the laptop.

Good, the series mascot lives on. Any hints as to there being a "canon" ending from LiS that this follows or is it kept pretty vague (I don't mind spoilers). Also, does BtS get any nods that you've seen so far?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Not really, maybe leans to Bae simply because you'd be unlikely to keep a book of a serial abductor and murderer's photography around if he'd been convicted. And no, not any direct nods to BtS, but the entire episode feels a lot like Farewell.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jun 25, 2018

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Apparently looking at twitter and reddit no one has been able to get into the phone. I thought you had to do all the things, so I guess it's some super secret thing. Oh well.

That's fine I guess, I would've preferred not wasting like 30 minutes looking at every inch of the house looking for a clue

edit: Finished the game. That very last bit has two big things:

Unless I'm completely misinterpreting it and it's another one of Chris' imaginary super hero things, he straight up levitates before hitting the ground. So LIS2 super power is gonna be flight?? If that's the case, I'm interested in how that's gonna play out. That's less... game changing than controlling time, and so far the games have a very enclosed area of exploration, which would hinder flight so I'm interested in seeing what they're gonna do with that. Maybe it's some kind of telekinetic thing instead

And secondly

Those boys are totally gay

Also I only noticed two things referencing LIS1. There's some mentions of Blackwell, including a letter from Wells himself (not for your character) and there's a thing mentioning train hopping teens

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 25, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So, it looks like Chris not only lives but may wind up being our LiS 2 protagonist after all (the game even ends with a "To Be Continued" before the credits).

As for Bae seemingly being canon, while it's kind of a shame that Chloe ultimately got denied her Big drat Hero moment, this has a lot more story potential and it's also the ending that the upcoming comic is apparently going with as well.

Also if anyone's trying to find the game on PSN it's listed as a demo under Life is Strange 2 Complete Season.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 25, 2018

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

From the sound of it, the phone is probably the big secret that Dontnod mentioned the player base would have to work together to unlock.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Apparently the phone code is hawtdawg spelled in numbers on a phone.

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc

Psychedelicatessen posted:

Captain Spirit is really fun, in an insanely depressing way. I feel like I have to walk on eggshells after that breakfast scene, but all the weird little play scenes and drawing rules.

Tell me about it. I was so jumpy the whole time, my stomach stretched and twisted into knots of unbearable tension, paranoid about doing anything that might potentially anger a drunken father. For example, go into the dad's bedroom and you'll notice that the lampshade is crooked. I eyed the option to straighten it out like a rattlesnake, suspicious that clicking on it would give away that the kid had been poking around in there.

So have any of you groovy cats sussed down the combination for the padlocked door in the garage?

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Larryb posted:

So, it looks like Chris not only lives but may wind up being our LiS 2 protagonist after all (the game even ends with a "To Be Continued" before the credits).

As for Bae seemingly being canon, while it's kind of a shame that Chloe ultimately got denied her Big drat Hero moment, this has a lot more story potential and it's also the ending that the upcoming comic is apparently going with as well.

Also if anyone's trying to find the game on PSN it's listed as a demo under Life is Strange 2 Complete Season.

It's really doubtful that Chris will be the main character of season 2.

We see that Chris' father works has a job having to do with trains. There's this major reference to backpacks in the season 2 promo, to an old beat up looking backpack. The main character is likely going to be someone who backpacks around and who met Chris' father that way while riding a train.

Also, Chris is a 10 year old boy and so won't be the main character. The interview with the writers of LIS where they talk about Captain Spirit makes it sound like he was a minor character that they wanted to show a bit more of, not that he was the main character of season 2.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
are we going to get more games of drunk dads or what

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Tired Moritz posted:

are we going to get more games of drunk dads or what

dad drunk so what

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Eshettar posted:

Tell me about it. I was so jumpy the whole time, my stomach stretched and twisted into knots of unbearable tension, paranoid about doing anything that might potentially anger a drunken father. For example, go into the dad's bedroom and you'll notice that the lampshade is crooked. I eyed the option to straighten it out like a rattlesnake, suspicious that clicking on it would give away that the kid had been poking around in there.

So have any of you groovy cats sussed down the combination for the padlocked door in the garage?

Also at one point Chris' dad says something about Chris' arm in a way that makes it sound like the dad was the one who hurt him. Speaking of which, the dad sounds familiar. Is that the same guy who played Frank in the first game?

Orange Sunshine posted:

It's really doubtful that Chris will be the main character of season 2.

We see that Chris' father works has a job having to do with trains. There's this major reference to backpacks in the season 2 promo, to an old beat up looking backpack. The main character is likely going to be someone who backpacks around and who met Chris' father that way while riding a train.

Also, Chris is a 10 year old boy and so won't be the main character. The interview with the writers of LIS where they talk about Captain Spirit makes it sound like he was a minor character that they wanted to show a bit more of, not that he was the main character of season 2.

Makes sense, I just started to think that because at the end of the game Chris seems to levitate a bit as he's falling and the game ends with him meeting up with another kid. Him running away from home or something could also explain the backpack. If it's not Chris himself it's most likely going to be someone close to the family at any rate.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 25, 2018

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
In the run up towards Captain Spirit's release, there were folks theorizing that the game would turn out to be a prequel and the dad's resemblance to Frank was a clue to the kid's identity. Would have been neat to watch Frank's backstory unfold before our eyes...

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Rosalind posted:

Apparently the phone code is hawtdawg spelled in numbers on a phone.

hawtdawg man spelled backwards is Dracula wooaooaoaaooaoah

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So overall, I liked the game (it's basically Calvin & Hobbes, only depressing). I like that there's a lot of different ways you can spend the day which gives it a lot of replay value and even the writing seems a little better this time around. Looking forward to seeing what the actual LiS 2 is going to be like.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Paul Zuvella posted:

hawtdawg man spelled backwards is Dracula wooaooaoaaooaoah

hawtdawg man confirmed as Dr. Reid's spirit animal.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Well that was nice a nice and depressing final moment with dad. :smith:

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
Welcome to Life Is Strange, shakabra.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The phone code is 42983294 (hawtdawg). If you unlock it you can play a Hawt Dawg Man minigame where you fly around spraying mustard on things, it's great.

Also, where's the house phone? I missed answering it my first time through.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 25, 2018

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
You can find it on the wall above the recycle bin and the trinket dish. Having missed the call myself, I wonder who it was...

Eshettar fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jun 25, 2018

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Eshettar posted:

You can find it on the wall above the recycle bin and the trinket dish. Having missed the call myself, I wonder who it was...
It's a Church

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
glad theyre woke and realized hawtdawg man is the true star of LiS

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also I was wrong about the dad's voice, as far as I'm aware no LiS alumni returned to voice characters in this game. The blue butterfly is one of the images shown during the credits though.

The ending does at least confirm that we'll see Chris again in LiS 2 but whether or not he'll be the star of the show still remains to be seen (one would think so considering how Captain Spirit ends but he's also a 10 year old kid and I doubt the main game is going to pick up any more than 2 years afterwards). The boy he meets at the end of the game is probably going to be important as well.

Chris does kind of have the makings of a new Chloe though what with a family member (in this case his mom) being killed in a car accident and his dad sort of reminds me of David in a sense (well meaning but kind of an abusive rear end in a top hat). But we'll see more of what happens with him in the next game.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 25, 2018

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012
hi i'd just like to say that i even tried audra's name spelled with phone keys before i broke and googled the pin and i am very upset.

hawtdawg man, you have betrayed me.

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism
How the gently caress do you get a D in PE

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So where's the key for (what I assume is) the garage outside? Also, I found all the pieces for the costume except one (I got the cape, the armor and the makeup mask), what's missing and where do I find it?

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012

Larryb posted:

So where's the key for (what I assume is) the garage outside? Also, I found all the pieces for the costume except one (I got the cape, the armor and the makeup mask), what's missing and where do I find it?

The key for the garage is by the back door in the kitchen. You'll find the paint for the armor in the garage too.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Larryb posted:

The ending does at least confirm that we'll see Chris again in LiS 2 but whether or not he'll be the star of the show still remains to be seen (one would think so considering how Captain Spirit ends but he's also a 10 year old kid and I doubt the main game is going to pick up any more than 2 years afterwards). The boy he meets at the end of the game is probably going to be important as well.

Chris does kind of have the makings of a new Chloe though what with a family member (in this case his mom) being killed in a car accident and his dad sort of reminds me of David in a sense (well meaning but kind of an abusive rear end in a top hat). But we'll see more of what happens with him in the next game.

So CS takes place in Dec. 2016, so if Chris is our hero or even our sidekick for LiS2 then it's either going to be set several years ahead of the real date, which seems unlikely, or we're going to be playing as pre-teens all the way through. Not impossible, but that seems like it would be a weird departure and kind of take the mood in a different direction than I would expect.

In the end, I wonder if they're trying to make it ambiguous as to who has the power. The obvious assumption is Chris, but thinking back, it could just as easily have been one of the two people next door.

Larryb posted:

Key to the garage is on the wall over the non-working door. In there you'll also find the spray paint you need to finish the costume.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Well gently caress, that ending conversation with Mrs. Reynolds broke my heart. I know exactly what it's like to cover for an abusive alcoholic parent and that conversation in particular really got to me. Life is Strange, motherfuckers!

Based on the ending and documents scattered around the house I'm gonna guess LiS 2 is about a group of runaway youth with superpowers riding the rails in the Pacific Northwest..

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BobTheJanitor posted:

So CS takes place in Dec. 2016, so if Chris is our hero or even our sidekick for LiS2 then it's either going to be set several years ahead of the real date, which seems unlikely, or we're going to be playing as pre-teens all the way through. Not impossible, but that seems like it would be a weird departure and kind of take the mood in a different direction than I would expect.

In the end, I wonder if they're trying to make it ambiguous as to who has the power. The obvious assumption is Chris, but thinking back, it could just as easily have been one of the two people next door.

Yeah, that part at the end definitely did not seem like it was Chris' imagination (he clearly did fall and even if he didn't break anything, that fall would have at least hurt quite a bit). But yeah, it could have been the boy next door that saved him. It seems clear that at least one of the two is going to be a major player in LiS 2 as otherwise they wouldn't have ended it on such a weird note.

Putting pre-teens through half the poo poo Max and Chloe had to go through (or possibly worse) seems needlessly cruel to me but we'll know for sure in a few months. At this point the main character almost has to be either Chris, one of the two people next door or someone connected to the Eriksen family in some way as switching over to a complete stranger after that ending wouldn't really make much sense. If it is Chris he's gonna need a sidekick at some point as this kid seems even more straight-laced than Max, which could get annoying after a while. Either way, from what we've seen so far Season 2 is shaping up to be one hell of a ride.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 26, 2018

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

POWER BEAR.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Power Bear is the new Hawt Dawg man

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So I went ahead and 100%ed the game already (which isn't that hard to do provided you take a good look around everywhere, not really sure how you could figure out the pin code for the phone on your own though). The revelation that his arch-nemesis Mantroid was actually a mashup of the two streets his mom died at the crossing of hit pretty hard, as did the scene where he discovers his "treasure".

This game might actually be even shorter than Farewell to be honest but it was still a fun little diversion. I'm very curious now to see how LiS 2 picks up from here and what the actual plot of that game is going to be about.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I thought Captain Spirit itself was fine but I was super disappointed clearing it didn't unlock a proper LiS2 trailer or something :(

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

voltcatfish posted:

I thought Captain Spirit itself was fine but I was super disappointed clearing it didn't unlock a proper LiS2 trailer or something :(

Yeah, that was kind of a shame (I would have liked something, even if it was only a little teaser that was just a few seconds long). But it seems like we'll finally be getting some information by August at the very latest.

Also, another possibility regarding the ending (though this is probably a long shot) Chris actually died when he fell and the Captain Spirit title just became literal. As such, the protagonist of LiS 2 is actually the boy we saw in the ending and Chris' ghost will be his companion. I kind of doubt it though.

Also near as I can tell, Chris was voiced by an actual young boy. Which is kind of cool to be honest.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 26, 2018

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Oh wow that really just like... ended

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I like the theory that the neighbor boy was the one who stopped him from falling with some kind of telekinesis, not Chris suddenly gaining flight. That's a nice reversal of things considering Chris is the one pretending to do stuff with his mind the whole game

I can them aging everyone up but still sticking with the same cast for LIS2, just from the perspective of the neighbor boy

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Larryb posted:

Yeah, that was kind of a shame (I would have liked something, even if it was only a little teaser that was just a few seconds long). But it seems like we'll finally be getting some information by August at the very latest.

Also, another possibility regarding the ending (though this is probably a long shot) Chris actually died when he fell and the Captain Spirit title just became literal. As such, the protagonist of LiS 2 is actually the boy we saw in the ending and Chris' ghost will be his companion. I kind of doubt it though.

Also near as I can tell, Chris was voiced by an actual young boy. Which is kind of cool to be honest.

Chris fell about 5 feet onto snow. I don't think he'd even be injured by that.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Macaluso posted:

I like the theory that the neighbor boy was the one who stopped him from falling with some kind of telekinesis, not Chris suddenly gaining flight. That's a nice reversal of things considering Chris is the one pretending to do stuff with his mind the whole game.

I can see them aging everyone up but still sticking with the same cast for LIS2, just from the perspective of the neighbor boy

Yeah, in retrospect the neighbor boy being our new protagonist while Chris takes on Chloe's former role makes a lot of sense (he's certainly important at any rate given how much the camera focused on him in the ending). He also appears to be Native American from what I could tell, which adds a nice bit of diversity to the cast.

While I'm hoping the references to the first game don't really go any further than what we got in Captain Spirit (though the thought of Max and Chloe adopting Chris and the 3 of them going on adventures together is kind of nice) I could honestly go either way as long as it's handled well enough. I'm not sure how I feel about pre-teens having to go through the kind of misery we've come to expect from this series but I sort of doubt they're going to have it set any later than 2018 either. At any rate, I look forward to seeing what they come up with.

Orange Sunshine posted:

Chris fell about 5 feet onto snow. I don't think he'd even be injured by that.

Ah, for some reason I thought he was higher up than that. Nevermind then.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jun 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Hmm, this should be an interesting little romp leading up to LiS2.
[Sufjan Stevens start playing]
Oh no

• Locked thread