Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
Oh yeah hearing test chat on the day I just got my hearing test done. Despite having worse and worse hearing over the years in my left ear including a test a few days before I got out that I had to look up the results for that was in the “moderate/severe” category no one ever mentioned it or seemed to care the whole time I’ve was in. I go to the test today and made sure to wash my ears extra well but they’ve always been waxy since I was a kid and right off the bat she mentions the wax and I try to explain. We end up going through the whole exam including her asking about tinitus which I did have in my left ear she blamed my “mild” hearing loss on the wax and suggested I get some over the counter ear wax drops and try those out for a couple of weeks and then see my PCM. I’m pretty sure both ears have always been waxy but that It’s really hard to use a phone or hold a conversation in only one and only for about half my time in but I’m not confident that this part of the claim is going to go well.

At least I get to go to the psychiatrist tomorrow and explain how being treated like a worthless human whipping post for retards to vent on and degrade for two out of three deployments has made me super scared to interact with people or do things!

Cenen fucked around with this message at 08:16 on May 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Hey guys, I have a DD-214 and a real job now. 12 days to my official retirement date.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Yayyyy

Also congrats Sarah! Babies own

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
Been super busy and forgot to post about the baby shower that the VA is throwing all over at different clinics this month.

Went to the one here and it was awesome. Way more people RSVP'd than showed up so all of us ended up winning prizes.

So. Much. Free. Stuff.

It was a little weird for me having a "baby shower" when I was only 13 weeks but hey... free stuff is free stuff!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

"Baby" and "VA" sounds like a frightening combination.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

"Baby" and "VA" sounds like a frightening combination.

Luckily they outsource the maternity appointments. However, the VA did insist I make an appointment for Feb 2019 for a postpartum appointment. I told them that was way too in advance and she said the doctor told her she must call me to make this appointment. She asked if a particular day in Feb was ok. I said I don't know, it's A YEAR IN ADVANCE how am I supposed to know?? She was not impressed with my sarcasm.

The downside of being a veteran and a VA employee is they no longer give a flying poo poo you are a veteran, now you're just a salty coworker they have to deal with. :rolleyes:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Realtalk get on Facebook groups after the shower to finish up getting what you need. People have garbage bags full of baby clothes to get rid of and millions of unused baby toys and cribs and poo poo, it's insane to pay full price for most of that stuff

Also helpful for car seats- salvation army and places like that won't resell baby carseats.

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016
I am trying to figure out the post 9/11 certification process. I used a month on active duty for a certificate. My last day on active duty is July 9, but the program I am interested in starts July 5. I completed the form on ebenefits to change schools, but there was no option to upload my dd-214. I am worried that they'll certify me as active duty and I will not get the bah. What would be the correct way to go about this?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
How did you end up using a month of GI Bill on active duty?

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

boop the snoot posted:

How did you end up using a month of GI Bill on active duty?

I wanted to do two certificates from ECornell. They lasted about 7 weeks each and it only used 36 benefit days. I applied through VA and got my certification letter. I think you can use GI Bill for a degree using the top up program, but because certificates are not eligible for Tution Assistance it went staight to GI Bill.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
There's a screen available through the VA website where you enter your dates of active service after 2001. (The site for entry of data may actually be a redirected site from the VA main site. Can't remember and phone posting.) They will then verify those dates with DOD and send you a Certificate of Eligibility.

Also DOD often loses poo poo and won't verify your service so definitely use the option at the end of the site's digital form to upload a copy of your DD214.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Typically you provide your certifying paperwork to the certifying official at the University you plan on attending. I'd contact them or their veterans affairs office directly for instructions on how you should proceed.

Welcome to the other side (almost)

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Typically you provide your certifying paperwork to the certifying official at the University you plan on attending. I'd contact them or their veterans affairs office directly for instructions on how you should proceed.

Welcome to the other side (almost)

Thanks man! Almost, however I am sitting on 50 days terminal I have been saving. I will send financial aid the certification I have.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Is there a window for accessing benefits for older veterans? My father was a Vietnam veteran and while he uses the VA, he hasnt pursued a disability rating or anything else because he assumes it's been too long and he missed his window.

He's 73 and I'm thinking about the pension specifically. Does he need a disability rating to access that?

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

El Mero Mero posted:

Is there a window for accessing benefits for older veterans? My father was a Vietnam veteran and while he uses the VA, he hasnt pursued a disability rating or anything else because he assumes it's been too long and he missed his window.

He's 73 and I'm thinking about the pension specifically. Does he need a disability rating to access that?

Ebenefits
https://www.ebenefits.va.gov

He can sign up for the website and begin the pension process via the site. There's many things he can do from this site.

He should really contact a Veterans Service Organization (VSO) because they specialize in helping veterans navigate VA related processes. There's a bunch of them such as Amvets, DAV, Vietnam Veterans of America, etc. Just search in your area for a close one and they can provide much more specific information. Also definitely ask them about a disability rating if he has issues. Again this is what VSO specialize in so they'll have the most current info on processes and regulations. :cheers:

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

El Mero Mero posted:

No, but his income will need to be fairly low in order to receive anything. Non-service connected disability pension (as opposed to service connected disability compensation), is an income based benefit for wartime veterans who have been found permanently and totally disabled due to non-service connected disabilities, but they are assumed be such if over the age of 65.

Unfortunately, the limits for income are generally so low that average Social Security benefits would put them over the maximum amount in a majority of cases.

If he's a Vietnam vet and served in-country, definitely take a look at compensation for disabilities related to Agent Orange and other herbicides, which includes things like diabetes and most forms of heart disease.

There is never a deadline on when you have to apply for benefits, so long as the medical and documentary evidence is sufficient to support entitlement.

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~
Okay , I got my medical records, and now I'm gonna pull the trigger on getting a tinnitus claim in. I don't want to gently caress it up by doing something stupid paperwork wise.

I already initiated it online and everything. Uploaded my DD-214, my personnel record printout from the Air Force, and flying records. Do I need to upload my medical records too? I have zero history of seeing a doc because of tinnitus, but going through it I did visit a doc once cause of dizziness resulting from an inner ear imbalance.

The internets also said I should submit a sworn statement explaining how I got tinnitus, and why I didn't see. doctor for it while I was on active duty. But it said to do it on a word document, not the VA form. Is that true?

Also I plan to submit more claims in the future, so are they all treated independently or can a fuckup with tinnitus claim screw up my claim for my knee later on?

Or should I just bring all this poo poo to a VSO? Someone recommended DAV....do I need to join their org or do they do it for an off the street guy like me? Like I said, this is my first shot at a claim and I don't want to gently caress it up.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Rekinom posted:

Okay , I got my medical records, and now I'm gonna pull the trigger on getting a tinnitus claim in. I don't want to gently caress it up by doing something stupid paperwork wise.

I already initiated it online and everything. Uploaded my DD-214, my personnel record printout from the Air Force, and flying records. Do I need to upload my medical records too? I have zero history of seeing a doc because of tinnitus, but going through it I did visit a doc once cause of dizziness resulting from an inner ear imbalance.

The internets also said I should submit a sworn statement explaining how I got tinnitus, and why I didn't see. doctor for it while I was on active duty. But it said to do it on a word document, not the VA form. Is that true?

Also I plan to submit more claims in the future, so are they all treated independently or can a fuckup with tinnitus claim screw up my claim for my knee later on?

Or should I just bring all this poo poo to a VSO? Someone recommended DAV....do I need to join their org or do they do it for an off the street guy like me? Like I said, this is my first shot at a claim and I don't want to gently caress it up.

Call your local DAV office to schedule an appointment. It is free to join and they walk you through it all. The claim process was way more streamlined when I did it last year vice 2012. They had the electronic medical records to send to the VA whereas before had to make a copy of my records to send. Even if you don't go with DAV, don't do it alone. VSOs deal with this stuff day-in and day-out, you don't. Just my 2c on the matter.

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~

Nick Soapdish posted:

Call your local DAV office to schedule an appointment. It is free to join and they walk you through it all. The claim process was way more streamlined when I did it last year vice 2012. They had the electronic medical records to send to the VA whereas before had to make a copy of my records to send. Even if you don't go with DAV, don't do it alone. VSOs deal with this stuff day-in and day-out, you don't. Just my 2c on the matter.

I don't think it's free anymore, I tried to join online and it wanted me to pay $250 right off the bat.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
It’s $250 or so to become a lifetime member, but you can take the rest of your life to pay that. I paid $40 to “join” when the DAV assisted me on my claim.

E: and yes, absolutely go through a VSO such as DAV.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Here's a big info sheet of contact info for all kinds of transition resources, ranging from resume writing services, education, job certification, how to dress and where to get cheap/free clothing, etc.

https://www.cheatography.com/xfaith/cheat-sheets/transitioning-servicemembers/

keylez
Dec 15, 2012

I have some questions about a claim I just filed with the VA for major depression and generalized anxiety disorder (which I guess are all symptoms of ptsd but I didn’t file for that). I submitted this claim without the assistance of the DAV or any sort of organization like that. Primarily because Chicago is overextended with Veterans in need of help.

Long story short, I was in the USAF for 6 years as an Aircraft Loadmaster—multiple deployments under my belt (all combat related). None of my records indicate that I was having trouble with my mental health in the Air Force. I’m not sure if anyone here is familiar with the Aircrew world, but to raise a white flag and state that you need help renders you DNIF (Duties not to include flying), which causes a massive upset with the scheduling department, your supervisor, and any pending deployments. Needless to say, you keep your mouth shut.

Over the past few years since being honorably discharged I’ve been experiencing pretty intense bouts of depression, crippling anxiety, and a mood that is impossible to control. All my therapy visits between 2013 and today have focused on other issues as I refused to believe that the military is the problem (records even show that they wanted to evaluate me for PTSD and my intense refusal).

That being said, I went ahead and filed a claim with the VA after talking with a close friend that I served with. I managed to acquire all my private records from doctors. Naturally, the records themselves aren’t focused on the military, however the two doctors letters I included with my claim explain that they believe that the military is the cause of the issue (one of the letters also stated that they believe I have PTSD as well).

So essentially, I’ve submitted private records that don’t necessarily discuss my military service. However, the signed doctors letters included do indicate that military service is the cause. I’ve also threw in a buddy statement as well as some award narratives. What I’m wondering here is if this could be enough, and if anyone has been in my situation and how it went.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
Answer: I just got my social anxiety claim approved yesterday after deploying three times in eight and almost a half years. Two of those deployments were insane tribulations of constant abuse getting hurled at me because someone with more rank was bored or got their feelings hurt and they needed to take it out on someone and I was generally around. I used to be seriously confused how more people weren’t killing themseleves during or after deployments and how people would actually look forward to them sometimes until my third one opened my eyes that they aren’t supposed to be intentional torture. I had gone to mental health twice in that whole time frame and had brought this up to the psychologist the VA had scheduled me to see and while she did seem a little interested in that she definitely focused more on how I was dealing with it NOW and how it would impact me in the FUTURE. To sum it up the psychologist I saw didn’t focus too much on my lack of paper trail and focused on how I felt since getting out and how I thought I would feel going into the future.

Question: I’m at over 30% disability now which makes me eligible for VocRehab. My plan is to go to grad school for sure so I’m not sure if I should use post 9/11 GI and yellow ribbon for undergrad and save VocRehab for grad school or if that’s even how it works? Any advice if I should apply tonight for VocRehab would be greatly appreciated.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

keylez posted:

I have some questions about a claim I just filed with the VA for major depression and generalized anxiety disorder (which I guess are all symptoms of ptsd but I didn’t file for that). I submitted this claim without the assistance of the DAV or any sort of organization like that. Primarily because Chicago is overextended with Veterans in need of help.

Long story short, I was in the USAF for 6 years as an Aircraft Loadmaster—multiple deployments under my belt (all combat related). None of my records indicate that I was having trouble with my mental health in the Air Force. I’m not sure if anyone here is familiar with the Aircrew world, but to raise a white flag and state that you need help renders you DNIF (Duties not to include flying), which causes a massive upset with the scheduling department, your supervisor, and any pending deployments. Needless to say, you keep your mouth shut.

Over the past few years since being honorably discharged I’ve been experiencing pretty intense bouts of depression, crippling anxiety, and a mood that is impossible to control. All my therapy visits between 2013 and today have focused on other issues as I refused to believe that the military is the problem (records even show that they wanted to evaluate me for PTSD and my intense refusal).

That being said, I went ahead and filed a claim with the VA after talking with a close friend that I served with. I managed to acquire all my private records from doctors. Naturally, the records themselves aren’t focused on the military, however the two doctors letters I included with my claim explain that they believe that the military is the cause of the issue (one of the letters also stated that they believe I have PTSD as well).

So essentially, I’ve submitted private records that don’t necessarily discuss my military service. However, the signed doctors letters included do indicate that military service is the cause. I’ve also threw in a buddy statement as well as some award narratives. What I’m wondering here is if this could be enough, and if anyone has been in my situation and how it went.

It's a bit trickier to establish service connection for a mental disorder other than PTSD when you weren't treated for it in service. Sucks, but so it goes... That said, do you have any combat medals? Purple Heart, anything with a "V" device? Those would essentially "prove" that something happened in service which may have caused your current symptoms. Otherwise, you would have to use other evidence, such as statements from buddies or your spouse regarding symptoms during service. So if you have those kinds of relationships, see if they can write letters on your behalf saying that "Airman Keylez was a total sadsack during his service" or whatever to that effect. It's not fool proof, but it's better than nothing.

Now, I said that PTSD is easier because VA can just take your word that something happened if 1: it's consistent with service, 2: is related to the "fear of hostile military or terrorist activity" (e.g. receiving mortar, rocket, small arms fire, etc.), and 3: a VA examiner has indicated that the stressor is sufficient to support a diagnosis of PTSD. So what I would recommend doing is going on eBenefits and filling out another 526 claiming PTSD and fill out a VA Form 21-0781 detailing any events that might have happened during service, which you think might have caused your symptoms. Also look at the diagnostic criteria for PTSD and keep those in mind when you go into the VA examination. For example, do you continue to experience nightmares or intrusive memories of the event? Do you get easily startled? do you avoid certain things or do certain things freak you out now? Like do you give garbage bags on the side of the road a wide berth, or run to the basement on the fourth of July? The most important thing s always being able to clearly communicate and relay what you're experiencing so that the examiner, and your mental health providers, can provide an accurate diagnosis.

Alternatively, do you have any other service connected disabilities, like bad knees, a bad back, etc? Do you feel bummed when they prevent you from doing normal things like going for a hike or picking up groceries? Maybe make the argument that your depression and anxiety are caused or aggravated by that.

When it comes to service connection, the best thing to do is to make sure that you raise all the questions that you think VA should be asking. You're (presumably) not a doctor, so you don't need to provide the answers to those questions, just enough to get them to the point that a doctor can look at the evidence and say "sure, it's 50/50 that this began in service."

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Apply for Voc Rehab now.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Rekinom posted:

Nah, you should be fine with what you've got. You'll get a letter in the mail saying we've scheduled for an exam. Go to it and do a hearing test, tell them about your tinnitus and just be honest when it started and you should be fine.

If you're planning on filing other claims, just do them now, there is really no incentive to delaying.

You can go to any VSO to have them represent you, and a lot of states provide the same services. At this point, you don't necessarily need to as they'll just tell you the same thing. They'll help you fill out the forms, tell you the evidence you need, and then just tell you to wait.

And just so you all know, any of the national reps like DAV, VFW, and American Legion provide their services free of charge, regardless of whether or not you're a member. They can generally be found in your nearest VA Regional Office and in some satellite VA clinics as well, so don't feel like you need to shell out money for representation.

keylez
Dec 15, 2012

cult_hero posted:

It's a bit trickier to establish service connection for a mental disorder other than PTSD when you weren't treated for it in service. Sucks, but so it goes... That said, do you have any combat medals? Purple Heart, anything with a "V" device? Those would essentially "prove" that something happened in service which may have caused your current symptoms. Otherwise, you would have to use other evidence, such as statements from buddies or your spouse regarding symptoms during service. So if you have those kinds of relationships, see if they can write letters on your behalf saying that "Airman Keylez was a total sadsack during his service" or whatever to that effect. It's not fool proof, but it's better than nothing.

Now, I said that PTSD is easier because VA can just take your word that something happened if 1: it's consistent with service, 2: is related to the "fear of hostile military or terrorist activity" (e.g. receiving mortar, rocket, small arms fire, etc.), and 3: a VA examiner has indicated that the stressor is sufficient to support a diagnosis of PTSD. So what I would recommend doing is going on eBenefits and filling out another 526 claiming PTSD and fill out a VA Form 21-0781 detailing any events that might have happened during service, which you think might have caused your symptoms. Also look at the diagnostic criteria for PTSD and keep those in mind when you go into the VA examination. For example, do you continue to experience nightmares or intrusive memories of the event? Do you get easily startled? do you avoid certain things or do certain things freak you out now? Like do you give garbage bags on the side of the road a wide berth, or run to the basement on the fourth of July? The most important thing s always being able to clearly communicate and relay what you're experiencing so that the examiner, and your mental health providers, can provide an accurate diagnosis.

Alternatively, do you have any other service connected disabilities, like bad knees, a bad back, etc? Do you feel bummed when they prevent you from doing normal things like going for a hike or picking up groceries? Maybe make the argument that your depression and anxiety are caused or aggravated by that.

When it comes to service connection, the best thing to do is to make sure that you raise all the questions that you think VA should be asking. You're (presumably) not a doctor, so you don't need to provide the answers to those questions, just enough to get them to the point that a doctor can look at the evidence and say "sure, it's 50/50 that this began in service."

I suspected that I might have to re-file with a 526. I was considering waiting to see what their decision was first, and then going from there.

To answer your question, I have 4 air medals which translates to 100 combat missions (that have been documented). My understanding is that they didn't start issuing the V device on air medals until 2014 (I got out in 2013). Despite the fact that award narrative for the air medal basically describes me flying into world war 3, I don't have a V device on anything.

keylez fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 27, 2018

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I definitely joined the wrong branch.

Seconding whomever to apply to vocrehab now.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

Soulex posted:

I definitely joined the wrong branch.

Thirding whomever to apply to vocrehab now.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

keylez posted:

I suspected that I might have to re-file with a 526. I was considering waiting to see what their decision was first, and then going from there.

To answer your question, I have 4 air medals which translates to 100 combat missions (that have been documented). My understanding is that they didn't start issuing the V device on air medals until 2014 (I got out in 2013). Despite the fact that award narrative for the air medal basically describes me flying into world war 3, I don't have a V device on anything.

Ok. I would recommend submitting copies of those citations at least. Personnel records often don't include the specific citations for medals, so it wouldn't hurt.

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~

cult_hero posted:

If you're planning on filing other claims, just do them now, there is really no incentive to delaying.

Well, I'm currently in the reserves right now and I'm concerned about raising alarms about my knee while I'm still on an active flight status.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Lol let me continue to break my body because I might not get to fly anymore

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
Get a LOD signed by your unit explaining the injury occurred while on duty and your claim will go much easier.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Lol let me continue to break my body because I might not get to fly anymore

Literally every aircrew member.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

If a civil affairs guy can get a 70% ptsd rating, you should be fine

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of 70% PTSD... that's what I have; would I be able to get voc rehab if I have a lot of money? I see they can front you money to start your own business, and I'm thinking of opening a fabrication shop (CNC, composites, etc.), but I make like $100k/yr with ~$50k in the bank - are they going to look at me like I'm nuts? Will they be more receptive if I'm willing to match their amount with my own, or something? I get paid a lot in IT but at this point I'd take a huge cut to do something I'd actually enjoy so I don't blow my brains out; I'm considering voc rehab to give some cushion against the "don't quit your day job" factor. I'm already pretty skilled (went to voc high school, spend a lot of time in "makerspaces") but machinery/tooling is still a big investment.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Zero VGS posted:

Speaking of 70% PTSD... that's what I have; would I be able to get voc rehab if I have a lot of money? I see they can front you money to start your own business, and I'm thinking of opening a fabrication shop (CNC, composites, etc.), but I make like $100k/yr with ~$50k in the bank - are they going to look at me like I'm nuts? Will they be more receptive if I'm willing to match their amount with my own, or something? I get paid a lot in IT but at this point I'd take a huge cut to do something I'd actually enjoy so I don't blow my brains out; I'm considering voc rehab to give some cushion against the "don't quit your day job" factor. I'm already pretty skilled (went to voc high school, spend a lot of time in "makerspaces") but machinery/tooling is still a big investment.

Well, the full title of the department is "Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment", meaning their primary goal is employment and not just education towards getting you to do something you want to do. One of the primary requirements for entitlement is to have an "employment handicap", which arguably doesn't exist if you're already gainfully employed. It's not a money thing, its the fact that it would be difficult to vocationally rehabilitate someone who is already engaged in a vocation.

Not to say that you can't try. But if you have any post 9/11 GI Bill, that would probably be your best bet.

Voc Rehab isn't really my area of expertise, so checking with your local VA Regional Office is probably your best bet.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

You basically have to prove there is a demand. At least I did.

keylez
Dec 15, 2012

So, my claimed has moved on to "VA MEDICAL FACILITY"--apparently I have a mental health exam scheduled (for whatever reason, I never got the letter nor did anyone call me to let me know about this appointment.

I've been researching it online and its pretty meh--what should I expect from this and what should I have prepared?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

C&P exam? Just go and be completely honest.