Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
My wife is picky, in that onions, mustard, tomatoes, beets, mayo, fish, and sour cream are off the table. Granted, I don't like fish and she has a shellfish allergy so she avoids it all. I'm also not a tomato eater, but she's a ketchup drowner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
a life without onions is not one worth living sad to say

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

fruit on the bottom posted:

a life without onions is not one worth living sad to say

yeah, onions are a part of like, all cuisines worldwide. Not liking onions is like not liking grains

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Guy Goodbody posted:

yeah, onions are a part of like, all cuisines worldwide. Not liking onions is like not liking grains

I'm intolerant to onions and this is the worst thing about all cuisines, worldwide.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Well I'm intolerant of dolts that can't eat onions. Jerk.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
The migraines aren’t worth it. I know because sometimes I’m like: okay, it maybe is and then comes the deep regret wrapped in blinding unpleasantness.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I get people who hate the lovely fast food burger onions, the little slimy off white squares that stick to everything and are impossible to remove without scraping off all the condiments. Those are loving awful and can really ruin your day.

But if you don't like those big purpley red onions I can't comprehend your thought process

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I have, no joke, bitten into red onions like they were apples before. Not the best experience, but still better than eating a pear.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Picky eaters are terrible. It's fine and good to have your own taste, but if you just lock off entire sections of food like, "I don't eat pasta" or "I just don't like fruit" you're a child, you should be treated as a child, you shouldn't be allowed to own a gun or vote or drive.

I'm not calling out We Know Catheters, this discussion just reminded me of that

Caring about what other people don't like to eat is an extremely weird thing

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
A freshly mown lawn is really nice.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I'm intolerant to onions and this is the worst thing about all cuisines, worldwide.

How can we, and this applies to all of you broadly, fix you so that this will no longer be the case and you will be acceptable?

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Saagonsa posted:

A lot of people say "caring about what others think or do is a weird thing" but then they just come off sounding like weird loner psychos who can't feel empathy :shrug:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Saagonsa posted:

You've never had to either cook for or plan a lunch meeting with the kind of picky eater they're talking about, have you?

They aren't complaining about the woman who doesn't like mushrooms or the dude who picks tomato slices out of his sandwiches.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Humans have no free will except for when it comes to tasting flavors, which is why all our food opinions are our sole moral failings.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I have, no joke, bitten into red onions like they were apples before. Not the best experience, but still better than eating a pear.

What don't you like about pears, the texture or the flavor? To me they are like softer, sweeter apples, and I also remember eating pears before eating apples.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Tarantulas and scorpions as food are not particularly different from shrimp and lobsters which people have no problem with treating as "normal food."

Also even acknowledging this fact I'm not eating them because it's gross.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ultima66 posted:

Tarantulas and scorpions as food are not particularly different from shrimp and lobsters which people have no problem with treating as "normal food."

:same: I loving love shellfish but the idea of eating any land-based invertebrate grosses me out

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Henchman of Santa posted:

:same: I loving love shellfish but the idea of eating any land-based invertebrate grosses me out

I ate a grasshopper's leg once

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

CrRoMa posted:

A lot of people say "caring about what others think or do is a weird thing" but then they just come off sounding like weird loner psychos who can't feel empathy :shrug:

American society encourages narcissism and sociopathy. Caring about what others think is kind of an important part of being a member of society. I mean it's fine to be all "I'm wearing this hat because I like it and don't give a poo poo if other people don't" is fine but the lol idgaf types use that as an excuse to be horrible, irresponsible prick. And those people frequently end up in jail.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

CrRoMa posted:

Sure. Caring about other people is good. Having an opinion on someone else not liking certain foods is weird. It is quite literally none of your business unless they're being unreasonably demanding of you to accommodate it, which at that point they're assholes for other reasons.

Saagonsa has a new favorite as of 01:57 on Jun 26, 2018

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

Well I'm intolerant of dolts that can't eat onions. Jerk.

Way to be intolerant of the Hindu priestly caste, jerk.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Summer is overrated as a season. It sucks being hot and sweaty all the time. The thunderstorms suck and are way too frequent. The mosquitoes and hornets suck. Its not even Fourth of July yet and I'm ready for autumn.

Only three more months until October, y'all!!!!!!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Ultima66 posted:

It seems like they would have less meat than shrimp and lobster, no?

Also rain weather best weather

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

We Know Catheters posted:

I ate a grasshopper's leg once

Grasshoppers as food are pretty common in Mexico and they are actually tasty.

There are also maguey worms which are okay if fried and ant eggs which look disgusting but despite that many people still love them :shrug:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I don't think I'd like to eat a grasshopper just because they would always puke that smelly brown stuff on me when I picked them up as a kid. I will not gain nourishment from them out of spite.

The only bug I ever saw that looked kind of appetizing are those witchetty grubs I saw on Survivorman (cooked only, of course). Some of his descriptions of food that he says are delicious are kind of dubious but he seemed to actually enjoy eating those so they can't be that bad.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

purple death ray posted:

I get people who hate the lovely fast food burger onions, the little slimy off white squares that stick to everything and are impossible to remove without scraping off all the condiments. Those are loving awful and can really ruin your day.

But if you don't like those big purpley red onions I can't comprehend your thought process

Onions kind of similar to lettuce and tomatoes in that way. The poo poo version you get at most burger places (see Iceberg lettuce and lovely tomatoes) are a lot of peoples first introduction to those things and can ruin them.

Actual good lettuce and tomatoes (though even good tomatoes can make a burger too messy, imo) are good burger toppings. Iceberg and lovely almost white looking tomatoes are awful.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Green onions/scallions are the best onions.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Housing, food, and medicine should be free in America and around the world

And it could be in america if we all start working on it now.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Safe, reliable self-driving cars will require massive advances in artificial intelligence. It can't be done with current technology. Anyone who says self-driving cars will happen in the next five years is a moron easily swayed by marketing, anyone who says they'll happen in the next twenty years is just expressing their own religious faith in the inexorable march of *gif of the doctor from Futurama saying "Science!"*

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

twenty years is a long time

but self driving cars would def gently caress society up and demand huge changes

hawowanlawow has a new favorite as of 14:20 on Jun 27, 2018

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I thought the biggest problem for driverless cars is dealing with non-driverless cars.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Solice Kirsk posted:

I thought the biggest problem for driverless cars is dealing with non-driverless cars.

When and how to hand over control to human occupants is also a huge problem.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

No more dealing with parking and parking fees would be great.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The other problem with driverless cars is that they are still cars.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I don't understand why there is such interest in self-driving cars aside from them being kind of cool. The only reason I can think of it being advantageous is on the safety side (if they can ever work that out perfectly), and if all cars were driving themselves traffic cops could spend their time dealing with more important crimes.

I won't try and guess how many years it will be before self driving cars are deployed in any major way, because I don't believe they ever will both figure it out AND convince everyone that they should use them. Maybe one day there will be a city here and there that has a majority of cars being self-driven, but I still strongly doubt it.

I think a better (but still very unrealistic) solution would be to copy what they do in Zermatt in Switzerland for example - ban cars with engines and only allow electric vehicles. It would be much easier to sell people on with a eco-friendly message than telling people to let their software almost none of them will understand control your car.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I don't understand why there is such interest in self-driving cars aside from them being kind of cool.
It's because of how insanely dangerous cars are. So many people (literally thousands each day) are killed by cars all the time that it's not even remarkable or newsworthy. It's just a statistic. And because of the large percentage of those deaths that are due to human error, either through some form of impairment (alcohol, fatigue, etc.) or just carelessness, anything we can do to take human fallibility out of the equation is worth pursuing.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I think a better (but still very unrealistic) solution would be to copy what they do in Zermatt in Switzerland for example - ban cars with engines and only allow electric vehicles. It would be much easier to sell people on with a eco-friendly message than telling people to let their software almost none of them will understand control your car.

Electric cars are very, very costly

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

But there will always be human fallibility in the equation. We will never create a perfect artificial intelligence. There will always be unforeseen ways for whatever we come up with to fail (or be made to fail).

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

spit on my clit posted:

Electric cars are very, very costly

I don't mean cars like teslas that are as capable as regular cars, I meant only in the inner city areas where you don't need to go much faster than say 30 mph. On the interstates etc obviously a fleet of glorified golf carts would be silly, but it could work in a small enough area.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Tiggum posted:

It's because of how insanely dangerous cars are. So many people (literally thousands each day) are killed by cars all the time that it's not even remarkable or newsworthy. It's just a statistic. And because of the large percentage of those deaths that are due to human error, either through some form of impairment (alcohol, fatigue, etc.) or just carelessness, anything we can do to take human fallibility out of the equation is worth pursuing.

Computers are built by the hands of humans and are still fraught with human fallibility

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nothing will ever be 100% safe, but it could be made waaaaay more safe than letting a bunch of idiots propel themselves forward in one ton metal boxes. Plus, think of all the savings that will be passed on to you, the consumer, if we get rid of all the added expense of having to hire long haul truckers to move freight everywhere.