Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

BobHoward posted:

Also lol don't do vinyl unless it's for reasons like "I enjoy finding and playing cool old records" rather than being one of the crazy people who think it's better than digital.

Vinyl is fun! I have a pretty small vinyl collection and a basic turntable, and I'll buy an album on vinyl if it's something I really really love. I don't give a poo poo about any audiophile reasons for vinyl, but I like it as a counterbalance to having Apple Music and being able to instantly listen to any song ever recorded wherever I am (and also to maintain the last little bit of owning music in a subscription world.) The slowing down of the process and physicality of it is nice sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i mean to me it's a textural thing, i have some digital files that were ripped from vinyl - i can hear the higher noise floor. why would you want that for ultra clean, produced albums? seems like it'd be like having hot flashes in a really cold room

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
Still on the hunt for an external monitor for my 17 MBP. Went to the Apple store today, the 27 inch LG really does look nice, but lol at the price tag.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How are the current MacBook Pros, aside from the hosed up keyboards?

I actually don't mind the feeling of a (working) butterfly switch keyboard, so if they release a refresh this year that makes the keyboards not fail at the drop of a hat I'd consider buying one. But I'm curious how the rest of the machine is. I've been away from Macs for a while but I'm in the market for a new laptop within the next few months and I might as well consider all available options!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Harrow posted:

The only remaining concern is whether you can live with just USB-C ports. If you can, then it's a phenomenal laptop. Take stock of your required adapter/cable situation as part of the purchase evaluation.\

Edit: I still find the Touch Bar kind of useless, but more and more stuff I use daily is slowly getting support for it (CLion hooray)

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 26, 2018

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Harrow posted:

I actually don't mind the feeling of a (working) butterfly switch keyboard, so if they release a refresh this year that makes the keyboards not fail at the drop of a hat I'd consider buying one. But I'm curious how the rest of the machine is. I've been away from Macs for a while but I'm in the market for a new laptop within the next few months and I might as well consider all available options!

You'd probably be best served waiting until the 2018 refresh at this point. I say this as somebody who expected them to be announced during WWDC, though.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Vinyl is fun! I have a pretty small vinyl collection and a basic turntable, and I'll buy an album on vinyl if it's something I really really love. I don't give a poo poo about any audiophile reasons for vinyl, but I like it as a counterbalance to having Apple Music and being able to instantly listen to any song ever recorded wherever I am (and also to maintain the last little bit of owning music in a subscription world.) The slowing down of the process and physicality of it is nice sometimes.

There is also a shitload of good music out there that has not seen a digital release for various reasons. That stuff isn’t necessarily even expensive or rare just overlooked and not able to be released digitally for whatever reason.

Audiophiles ruin the hobby for everyone else because all of the production capacity gets eaten up by the 53rd anniversary edition of some Pink Floyd album that can be easily found used in good condition, for cheap.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

skull mask mcgee posted:

Capitalism ruins the hobby for everyone because all of the production capacity gets eaten up by the 53rd anniversary edition of some Pink Floyd album that can be easily found used in good condition, for cheap.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

that’s true

G5ANDY
Sep 19, 2004
I have to order a MacBook Pro that is delivered next month at the latest (budget year). What is my window for return and how pissed am I going to be?

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I think it’s like 14 days, and you’re going to be pretty pissed because both the 15 and 13 will probably get an extra couple of cores. They’ll probably have a better keyboard too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Buying hardware in the summer sucks, where I'm at they always find the budget for workstation upgrades right around WDC. It doesn't matter this year because nothing was announced, but in previous years it always sucked to get some new equipment you had to keep for four or more years that is already a year behind.

Somehow the C levels always get their budget for new equipment in the fall. :thunk:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Have you asked to delay it? Sometimes it works!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not for me, if I don't take the money right away they'll give it to someone else and that's it until next year.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gay Retard posted:

You'd probably be best served waiting until the 2018 refresh at this point. I say this as somebody who expected them to be announced during WWDC, though.

Yeah, right now I'm between waiting for the 2018 refresh (mostly in the hopes of a more durable version of the keyboard) or just grabbing a Dell XPS 15 now. My need for a new laptop isn't urgent, but I'd like to get one within the next few months at least. I've heard September is when we'll know if/when there'll be a 2018 refresh?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

skull mask mcgee posted:

There is also a shitload of good music out there that has not seen a digital release for various reasons. That stuff isn’t necessarily even expensive or rare just overlooked and not able to be released digitally for whatever reason.

This is why Soulseek is an invaluable resource for any music nerd.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Harrow posted:

Yeah, right now I'm between waiting for the 2018 refresh (mostly in the hopes of a more durable version of the keyboard) or just grabbing a Dell XPS 15 now. My need for a new laptop isn't urgent, but I'd like to get one within the next few months at least. I've heard September is when we'll know if/when there'll be a 2018 refresh?

October. September is phones.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've got a MacBook with the touchbar from work, and for some reason it's not charging my Pixel when I connect it. Is there some setting somewhere I need to flip to send power out through the USB C ports?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

hooah posted:

I've got a MacBook with the touchbar from work, and for some reason it's not charging my Pixel when I connect it. Is there some setting somewhere I need to flip to send power out through the USB C ports?

Did you try a different cord? Give the one that came with the charger a try.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
Thoughts on a 4k vs non4k 27 inch monitor?

As an example,

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-H277HU-kmipuz-27-Inch-speakers/dp/B074FK67S8?th=1&psc=1

vs

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-H277HU-kmipuz-27-Inch-speakers/dp/B01B64O3M4?th=1&psc=1

I have read that 4k on a 27inch isn't all that great to look at. I will be using this on a 2017 nonTb MBP, and I don't do any photo or video editing of the sort. However "readability" is important since I am getting the monitor reduce eye strain from looking at the monitor all day.

At the same price, is it dumb to get a non4k monitor? I am this close to just splurging on the LG 5k one.

*edit* I guess I missed the fact that the 4k one doesnt have Usb-c, but I am still wondering about the 4k on 27 inch and how it might look.

nervana fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 27, 2018

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I use an older 4K 27” monitor for reading code all day and it’s been fine.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

nervana posted:

As an example,

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-H277HU-kmipuz-27-Inch-speakers/dp/B074FK67S8?th=1&psc=1

vs

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-H277HU-kmipuz-27-Inch-speakers/dp/B01B64O3M4?th=1&psc=1

I have read that 4k on a 27inch isn't all that great to look at. I will be using this on a 2017 nonTb MBP, and I don't do any photo or video editing of the sort. However "readability" is important since I am getting the monitor reduce eye strain from looking at the monitor all day.

At the same price, is it dumb to get a non4k monitor? I am this close to just splurging on the LG 5k one.

*edit* I guess I missed the fact that the 4k one doesnt have Usb-c, but I am still wondering about the 4k on 27 inch and how it might look.
I don’t know if you’ve seen what 1080p on a 27” looks like but it’s basically that but much clearer.

I think these days macOS can do the same sort of ‘looks like’ scaling (like the built in retina displays have) on certain external monitors so it’s possible you could make it look like a 5k 27” display but I’d think that would also depend on the version of DisplayPort being used for bandwidth reasons.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

hooah posted:

If you're using a cable with USB-C on both ends (and no dongle in between) you might need to select the option to charge from your Macbook on your Pixel. It might be doing reverse-charging or nothing at all. The wonders of technology.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

nervana posted:

You'll be able to choose from a few resolutions on the 4K monitor

I tried using a 4K Dell monitor for a bit, I didn't care for it. Native resolution is too small (might be usable at 32" if you have good vision, but you have to sit quite aways away from it), running it at a scaled '1920x1080' make everything too big (you might like this if you have bad vision), and the pixels weren't quite small enough to make something like 2560x1440 look 'not weird'

Right now on my Mac I have two monitors. The first is a 27" Acer that is 2560x1440. I really like it, I used to have a 27" Apple Cinema Display but couldn't connect it to the new MacBook Pro. I also have a Dell that's the same resolution at work, but 25", bought it for $199 a few weeks ago at Best Buy. Really nice and everything is just a little smaller. I wouldn't bother looking for a monitor with USB-C, you can just use an adapter or cable and buy a cheaper monitor.

The second monitor I have on my Mac is a 22" LG 4K. It's a USB-C monitor, so I can charge while I'm connected to it which is nice. However, it doesn't have any other inputs, so it's kind of useless if I want to connect it to anything else. That said, it's loving gorgeous. I can crank it up to 2560x1440 which is a little small but it looks much better than the Dell 4K did. There are also a couple other scaled resolutions you can use as well. It's also not 1080p default it's something like 2035x1152 (native 4069 x 2304)

I didn't pay retail for the LG UltraFine, but I would be hard pressed to spend $700-900 on a 22/24/27" 4K/5K screen when you can get a 27" 2560x1440 (3K?) for $200 these days.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jun 27, 2018

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I’m curious about the performance load of 4K monitors. Has anyone done tests on, say, video rendering times or compositing times in photoshop on 4K vs 1440p?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Mark Larson posted:

If you're using a cable with USB-C on both ends (and no dongle in between) you might need to select the option to charge from your Macbook on your Pixel. It might be doing reverse-charging or nothing at all. The wonders of technology.

For whatever reason I just needed to restart. Y phone. It wasn't charging directly from the charger, either.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
4k on a 27" is pretty small without scaling, but it's usable enough. I do use a browser extension that defaults to a 133% zoom, as well as 16-18pt font in my terminal and text editor. It keeps real estate large, window controls and such small/out of the way, but text is still easy to read (and crisp as hell). The stuff I'm in less often I don't feel the need to adjust-- Mail, Office, iTunes, etc.

I use a 1440p 27" Gamer Monitor at home, for gaming, and the decrease in space isn't too bad, but it's a little disappointing being able to plainly see individual pixels again. I feel like a 5k monitor at 2x scale would be the ideal at this size.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The Milkman posted:

4k on a 27" is pretty small without scaling, but it's usable enough. I do use a browser extension that defaults to a 133% zoom, as well as 16-18pt font in my terminal and text editor. It keeps real estate large, window controls and such small/out of the way, but text is still easy to read (and crisp as hell). The stuff I'm in less often I don't feel the need to adjust-- Mail, Office, iTunes, etc.

Do you scale your built in laptop screen to compensate?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

The Milkman posted:

I use a 1440p 27" Gamer Monitor at home, for gaming, and the decrease in space isn't too bad, but it's a little disappointing being able to plainly see individual pixels again. I feel like a 5k monitor at 2x scale would be the ideal at this size.

You're in good company, that's exactly what Apple chose on the 27" retina iMac

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Bob Morales posted:

Do you scale your built in laptop screen to compensate?

At my desk I only do clamshell mode, which is 90% of my usage. (I have a weird bias against multiple monitors.) So I don't have the mix and match problem.

When I'm mobile I just mash cmd+- a couple times to temporarily drop down. Not a frequent or painful enough action to make me deal with it. Next meeting I take notes at I actually might try moving down from the default scale to see if that's good enough

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

In Mojave hacking news, many folks are reporting success in installing Mojave Public Beta 1 on Mac Pro 5,1s and 4,1s flashed to 5,1 firmware.

The common elements for success are:

- that the cMP has to have been flashed to firmware level 0087, which upgrading to High Sierra with the latest 10.13.5 AppStore installer will do.

- that a Metal-compatible PCIe GPU card is installed in the machine

All one has to do is run an internal command in the installer through Terminal and it's supposed to be quick and painless.

Using the installer as is results in a single error line that states you must have a Metal compatible card and not be running FileVault.

So far, success has been achieved with the following GPUs: nVidia GTX 680 (Mac Edition or EFI flashed equivalent), AMD Radeon 7950 (ME / EFI), AMD RX 460 (non-flashed), GT730 (non-flashed.)

I'll be trying to see if a flashed AMD RX 280x works myself, but I don't have any doubt it will..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Also, some folks have managed to install with non-Metal GPUs, but with no graphics acceleration, Mojave runs like rear end.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

iFixit explains why the 2016-17 Retina MacBook keyboards suck so much:

https://ifixit.org/blog/10229/macbook-pro-keyboard/

In short: gently caress Jony Ive.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Keyboard is perfectly fine.

- kurt cobain

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So I just spent some time with my late 2013 13 MPB and I'm now using my 2018 15 inch MBP and I have some thoughts.

I really like the keyboard on the 13 the keys on the 15 just seem so much shorter.

IMO the track pad on the 13 feels better too. I am not sure what it is but I really like the older track pad better.

The 15 is a great machine and I use it daily at work but its weird how much more I prefer the 13 when I am at home.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Old keyboard is a mushy pile when you use it again IMO

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Old keyboard is a mushy pile when you use it again IMO

I"ll try it again in a second but I dunno about that. I think I like how the older keys feel. Really though in the end it doesn't matter since the aren't making it anymore. Its just striking how different it feels.

Edit: OK yeah the older keyboard is much better IMO. The travel on the keys feels a lot nicer. Anyway it doesn't matter since they aren't going back to it.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jul 1, 2018

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Binary Badger posted:

In Mojave hacking news, many folks are reporting success in installing Mojave Public Beta 1 on Mac Pro 5,1s and 4,1s flashed to 5,1 firmware.

The common elements for success are:

- that the cMP has to have been flashed to firmware level 0087, which upgrading to High Sierra with the latest 10.13.5 AppStore installer will do.

- that a Metal-compatible PCIe GPU card is installed in the machine

All one has to do is run an internal command in the installer through Terminal and it's supposed to be quick and painless.

Using the installer as is results in a single error line that states you must have a Metal compatible card and not be running FileVault.

So far, success has been achieved with the following GPUs: nVidia GTX 680 (Mac Edition or EFI flashed equivalent), AMD Radeon 7950 (ME / EFI), AMD RX 460 (non-flashed), GT730 (non-flashed.)

I'll be trying to see if a flashed AMD RX 280x works myself, but I don't have any doubt it will..

Public beta with a non-EFI card :psyduck:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

dosdude1 has released a patch for some pre-2012 machines that is allowing some MBPs to run Mojave PB1 / DB2 with limited success.

On some machines, notably Late 2011 models with discrete GPUs, compatibility is allegedly nearly perfect..

Once again, a common factor in success appears to be that the desired Mac have at least an i3/i5/i7 CPU. No luck for Core 2 Duo based models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Best Buy has the 2015 15” MacBook Pro for $1499

Clearing out the last of them? My local store doesn’t have any in stock but you can order them from BestBuy.com

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-macbook-pro-15-4-display-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-256gb-flash-storage-silver/8532502.p