Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Dewgy posted:

PYF thing dragging this game down: It’s me. I’m the thing dragging this game down.

Once I got the fucker totally installed, my head re-screwed back on correctly and my muscle memory re-attuned from Wolfenstein, I started crushing this bad boy over the weekend. Really cool game. You don't even really need the map for the most part unless you're incredibly lost. I totally forgot about the scrolling sub menus under the select button and noticed I had several upgrade points (along with my map) when I finally found it.

Parts of it are a little too fast (I'm 51) when the enemies spawn and just swarm your poo poo and sometimes searching for the upgrade/attachment you want in the middle of a firefight can be tough. Some of the platforming sections can gently caress right off.

I like how the game made a compromise between pausing during a weapon/item switch and doing it in real time. It slows the game when you futz with the menus but you can't cheese it by stopping it entirely.

So my new assessment is the game is awesome and there's not much weighing it down at all besides my stupid self (and some of the platforming).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
You're never too old to rip and tear. :unsmigghh:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Doctors recommend ripping and tearing in your 60s only in short bursts as to avoid injury and overextertion.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Warframe

Guess who just found out one of the resources (Argon Crystals) decays over time? What a terrible goddamn addition to the game.
It's not a good game.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

Samuringa posted:

I don't want to be a dick, but if you're playing a Mass Effect game and your class doesn't use a Sniper Rifle, you picked the wrong class.

The proper way to play any Mass Effect is obviously to use Space Magic. This is self evident.

The thing that dragged down Mass Effect 2 and 3 for me was that they felt more like modern action movies, while 1 felt more like an old space opera. I also felt like every big reveal was a disappointment, but that is kind of the way of things when you hold off on big reveals for later games. I also liked the heat system in 1 and having more mechanical customization, but those were more secondary things.

A lot of things were dragging down Andromeda, but the most frustrating one to me was how little exploration or discovery the game had. The game was marketed as being all about making contact in an unknown and alien galaxy, but exploring systems/planets is an unrewarding chore, aliens have no trouble communicating with you, your money works just fine. They completely miss every single interesting consequence of making first contact.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

BiggerBoat posted:

So my new assessment is the game is awesome and there's not much weighing it down at all besides my stupid self (and some of the platforming).

Sounds like it’s time to git gud! ;)

Honestly I think it’s just a great thread title idea because it’s good advice, haha. Not talking about your post specifically but I think everyone’s had a game they bounce off multiple times just because they’re trying to make it into something it wasn’t designed to be. Easier to change your own attitude then it is to rewrite the game.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
There's an 80+ year old woman who does let's plays, "too old" just isn't a thing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Danganronpa has the same flaw Phoenix Wright has where I know what happened but I can't quite hit the exact convoluted steps to get there. Closing arguments are neat but dumb.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Some of the platforming sections can gently caress right off.

I nearly gave up for good at the platforming section. Real loving thrilling, looking at a green light and then pressing the jump button for 10 minutes, only interrupted by occasionally having to stand still and do nothing while you wait for a lightning machine to turn off, in the middle of a big action game.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I nearly gave up for good at the platforming section. Real loving thrilling, looking at a green light and then pressing the jump button for 10 minutes, only interrupted by occasionally having to stand still and do nothing while you wait for a lightning machine to turn off, in the middle of a big action game.

"Climb the Tower", right? Yeah, that sucked

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
Serious Sam: The First Encounter: the Kleer skeletons can gently caress right off. Too fast to use explosives, and too numerous to use shotguns. The only thing really useful against them is the Tommy gun and the Laser gun, but ammo on those are often in short supply because those are the workhorse weapons. The shotguns in general are just kind of useless after the first couple of levels because they seem only useful against the humanoid enemies (except the kamikazes) and the weird things with faces on their torsos. The Kleer are the enemy type that's easily killed me far more than every other enemy type combined.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Cook Serve Delicious 2: gold medals being tied to doing a day perfectly. Give me at least 1 average/bad order of leeway please, doing a flawless day up until the last burger and I put on the wrong onions and I have to do it all over again :rant:

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Worlds Adrift

Space Engineers + Guns of Icarus with a dash of EVE thrown in. It's an MMO focused on exploration, but with some cool PVP.

Cool thing: Talking in all caps counts as "yelling" and your chat messages carry further.
Dragging down: Nobody knows how far regular chat goes (and it doesn't seem to be far, 20-50 meters?) so everyone is ALL CAPS ALL DAY

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
So I got Witcher 3 recently and I decided to replay Witcher 2 in preparation to play 3, and I was painfully reminded of something.

Witcher 2 probably has the least enjoyable combat I've ever experienced in an RPG.

I like the idea that you can prepare for fights before hand with lots of potions and traps, the problem is that during plot heavy missions it's hard to tell when you'll actually get a chance to buff yourself since you can't do that during combat so you might be thrown up against a really difficult boss (Letho :argh:) without knowing when the fight starts. Just generally Geralt is slow and unresponsive, he takes forever to switch swords, his dodge starts off really bad, and it's probably harder to fight groups of enemies than in Dark Souls, which is really bad since it was a pain in Dark Souls but the game absolutely love throwing tons of assholes at you at once (shoutout to one mission in Flotsam where you have to investigate some dead bodies and to do so you have to kill like 50 Nekkers in a tight area). The game doesn't seem to be capable of handling complex arenas so there isn't much about level design you can use to your advantage like in other games, there's usually only a small area to move around in and geralt can't really jump up to a higher area during a fight because that's almost always a contextual prompt. If you're out of position you constantly get backstabbed, even while dodging! Finally Geralt seems to prefer doing stupid twirls and loop-the-loops rather than fighting efficiently which means the enemies can sometimes get a whole attack in before you're attack animation has even registered a hit on them.

At this point I find myself mostly just throwing bombs and setting the Yrden sign for them.

khwarezm has a new favorite as of 15:06 on Jun 26, 2018

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Ok everyone knows this but...

I just started up GTA Online again cause I got an email that I can go to a virtual night club soon and I am a loser so.

Anyways, as soon as I start it up I hear the voices of 12 year olds talking about pussy and then in some other session a guy giving sorta-mental help advice to some guy who wants to kill a guy he hates? Ah geeze. At least there are still the parachute missions. And I need to dig up my mic and tell these assholes to shut up.

Things dragging game down: other people. (not goons, goons are good).

Sloth Socks
May 13, 2005

dangling is the finest of all the arts in all the worlds

Lipstick Apathy

khwarezm posted:

Witcher 2 probably has the least enjoyable combat I've ever experienced in an RPG.

I'm doing the same thing and yeah, it's pretty abysmal. I get why Geralt does his sword-dancing (the LORE), but even when I've cranked it down to Easy, there's this paper-thin line between taking some damage and taking a deathblow. I just don't feel connected with the motions. But only boss encounters have been truly miserable - the rest is serviceable and the story's worth continuing.

Also, maybe mouse+keyboard is the wrong style for combat, but using a controller for the menus seems miserable. Moreover, you have to exit the game to change any keys, or even remember what the keys are.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Witcher 3 irritated me for that reason. Geralt flailing his sword around like an acrobatic prat is one thing, but when it results in needless twirls wasting time in combat - and has Geralt mock people who fight this way, no less! - it just gets annoying.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Games that say they are ready to play during an install on xbox only to have the game load and then sit at another install screen, this time at a slower download speed because the xbox can't download as fast if it's playing a game.

Don't loving say a game is ready to play if it needs to be at 100% to actually play. Sitting at a menu is not playing the game!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I picked up PC Building Simulator during the steam sale. While it's enjoyable in the same way other simulator titles are, it's starting to annoy me. Every job you do requires you to run the 3dMark benchmark which takes 90 seconds real time. Most of these benchmark score jobs also pay a lot less than the parts cost, so you wind up losing money by even trying.

You can do other stuff while the benchmark runs, but so many of the random jobs ask you to meet arbitrary scores. So often the game turns into swapping out a part, booting the PC, and then 90 seconds of running the same benchmark and hoping that the new part causes a score to increase.

The game would be so much better if you didn't have to watch the same Time Spy video slowly scroll past every time you try to complete a job.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I always cheesed letho by stunning him and laying down a bunch of traps he could run right into.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory: why! Does the main dude! Move so slowly!

I really like the idea of the game, and sneaking around is super-cool, but I don't have the patience for it when he moves at a snail's pace even when standing up properly. :argh:

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

StrixNebulosa posted:

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory: why! Does the main dude! Move so slowly!

I really like the idea of the game, and sneaking around is super-cool, but I don't have the patience for it when he moves at a snail's pace even when standing up properly. :argh:

Scrollwheel up

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

glad she is dead posted:

I did not enjoy the Zora Egg collection quest in Majora's Mask at all, particularly as I've only found one bottle and had to do repeated round trips to grab the eggs from various places. Thank gently caress that's over.

Is that was led to this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1ZKcZbi1rg

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Safeword posted:

Witcher 3 irritated me for that reason. Geralt flailing his sword around like an acrobatic prat is one thing, but when it results in needless twirls wasting time in combat - and has Geralt mock people who fight this way, no less! - it just gets annoying.

that's the exact reason i couldn't get into the witcher 3. just loving hit the guy with your sword

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

That exact thing is driving me insane in the surge, for gameplay reasons. Every swing in a combo does something completely different for no loving reason. Whoops I guess I started a swing that needs to do a huge swoopy windup and take three times as long as the last swing in the same combo that I did by pushing the same button for the same length of time. There went my entire health bar.

Every weapon is an inconsistent loving misery to use.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Sininu posted:

Scrollwheel up

Reinstalling now, and I expect I'm going to be very angry with this old game and its controls in a moment, because I went through most of that level before the slow speed killed it for me.

e: That is extremely clever and extremely infuriating and thank you for pointing it out to me!

StrixNebulosa has a new favorite as of 23:40 on Jun 26, 2018

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I'm gonna do it again and say gently caress the whole "this game needs an update" to play bullshit.

I keep thinking about kids getting a PS4 or XBoxOne on Christmas morning or on their birthday and having to wait 5 loving hours to update their software and hardware or install poo poo in order to play with it .

Actually, gently caress those kids. This poo poo gets on MY nerves.

I commute 2 hours every day and sometimes just want to shoot zombies or nazis in the face without waiting 2 hours for the loving privilege. As we speak, I'm trying to fire up Wolfenstein: The New Colossus and am hoping to god the update loads in time for me to actually play the god damned thing before I have to go to bed in time to be at work by 6:30 tomorrow.

Am I asking too much for a game to be, you know, playable when i buy it? I realize I am old and cranky.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Digirat posted:

That exact thing is driving me insane in the surge, for gameplay reasons. Every swing in a combo does something completely different for no loving reason. Whoops I guess I started a swing that needs to do a huge swoopy windup and take three times as long as the last swing in the same combo that I did by pushing the same button for the same length of time. There went my entire health bar.

Every weapon is an inconsistent loving misery to use.

Even better is when you do an attack and geralt does like three flips right past the enemy who then just slaps your rear end for half your health bar.

Thin Privilege posted:

Things dragging game down: other people. (not goons, goons are good).

When I played GTAOnline with goons it kind of sucked. We had one console guy in the clan who kept joining our groups solely to snipe us with his max level items. Any time I'd try to do a heist half the group would bitch endlessly that we weren't doing it optimally and inevitably vote to restart it at the last minute so there was literally never any progress made and everyone rage quit.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Don't let anyone lie to you that goons are better at games or, hell, even good team players.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

World Famous W posted:

Don't let anyone lie to you that goons are better at games or, hell, even good team players.

I tried playing Overwatch with goods from the discord. I'm not sure I ever actually had fun with any of those games instead preferring to be bad with complete strangers instead

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Mass Effect 2:

How does someone go from meek archaeologist to a well-known intelligence-broker in the space of two years? That's less character-development and more one character being replaced by a different character with the same name.

I notice a trend in sequels where they go for a shocking twist in the opening, only to backpedal an hour later from any real change. Shepard dies and the Normandy blows up > Shepard is revived and they get another Normandy. You lose your superpowers in Destiny 2 > You get your powers back immediately. I hated the stronghold in Pillars of Eternity but at least when that got stepped on in the sequel at no point did I inherit another castle.

For every mission you have two squad-members and ten bench-warmers. I really want to know what off-screen mission was so important that you and all twelve squad-members have to undertake it, leaving your ship full of redshirts completely defenceless.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I long for a game where if you get a new party member you just get a bigger party.

In Avernum 3, one mission has you moving mirrors around to re-direct laser beams that hurt a lot to walk through. The controls are not well suited to this sort of movement-based puzzle and because you’re controlling a party rather than a single guy you can’t just back up if you make the wrong move.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm gonna do it again and say gently caress the whole "this game needs an update" to play bullshit.

I keep thinking about kids getting a PS4 or XBoxOne on Christmas morning or on their birthday and having to wait 5 loving hours to update their software and hardware or install poo poo in order to play with it .

I commute 2 hours every day and sometimes just want to shoot zombies or nazis in the face without waiting 2 hours for the loving privilege. As we speak, I'm trying to fire up Wolfenstein: The New Colossus and am hoping to god the update loads in time for me to actually play the god damned thing before I have to go to bed in time to be at work by 6:30 tomorrow.

Am I asking too much for a game to be, you know, playable when i buy it? I realize I am old and cranky.

I get you, I'm new to modern consoles and this is very frustrating. Rest Mode tends to help, but the whole thing is kind of a mess.

VanSandman posted:

I long for a game where if you get a new party member you just get a bigger party.

In Avernum 3, one mission has you moving mirrors around to re-direct laser beams that hurt a lot to walk through. The controls are not well suited to this sort of movement-based puzzle and because you’re controlling a party rather than a single guy you can’t just back up if you make the wrong move.

It's been a while, but IIRC, you take all 6 party members from Breath of Fire IV into battle

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Fried Watermelon posted:

Games that say they are ready to play during an install on xbox only to have the game load and then sit at another install screen, this time at a slower download speed because the xbox can't download as fast if it's playing a game.

Don't loving say a game is ready to play if it needs to be at 100% to actually play. Sitting at a menu is not playing the game!

The PS4 has a similar thing where you put a disk in and then it stops showing the installing icon but when you try to go into the game it isn't ready yet and doesn't give you any indicator of how long it will actually take. Super annoying.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

If you want to play a console game immedaitly, just turn off the internet connection before putting in the disc. the game will install and you will be able to play as soon as its installed without having to worry about the mandatory patch.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

VanSandman posted:

Sorry, if you have more than three people in a party you get sucked into the end of the time. It's just a law of physics, nothing the game designers can do about it.

For the Avernum thing can you do it in combat mode?

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

muscles like this! posted:

The PS4 has a similar thing where you put a disk in and then it stops showing the installing icon but when you try to go into the game it isn't ready yet and doesn't give you any indicator of how long it will actually take. Super annoying.

I think it depends on the game; most games have let me start playing once the install bar was done so when I tried that with GTA V I was unpleasantly surprised that I still couldn’t play.

The worst is XBOX ONE though. It seems like every time you power it on there’s a 5,000GB update that is unskippable. At least on PS4 it downloads in the background or something so it only takes like 10 min maybe to update; or, it just says “can’t use network features without updating continue y/n”

Nuebot posted:

When I played GTAOnline with goons it kind of sucked. We had one console guy in the clan who kept joining our groups solely to snipe us with his max level items. Any time I'd try to do a heist half the group would bitch endlessly that we weren't doing it optimally and inevitably vote to restart it at the last minute so there was literally never any progress made and everyone rage quit.

Weird, maybe I’ve been out of it for a long time then, back when I was actually playing everyone was cool and we owned missions or whatever the gently caress together and people were mature.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Mass Effect 2:

How does someone go from meek archaeologist to a well-known intelligence-broker in the space of two years? That's less character-development and more one character being replaced by a different character with the same name.

I notice a trend in sequels where they go for a shocking twist in the opening, only to backpedal an hour later from any real change. Shepard dies and the Normandy blows up > Shepard is revived and they get another Normandy. You lose your superpowers in Destiny 2 > You get your powers back immediately. I hated the stronghold in Pillars of Eternity but at least when that got stepped on in the sequel at no point did I inherit another castle.

For every mission you have two squad-members and ten bench-warmers. I really want to know what off-screen mission was so important that you and all twelve squad-members have to undertake it, leaving your ship full of redshirts completely defenceless.

I felt like with ME2 they started with a basic idea for the game - you're alone and unsupported in barely civilised space, desperately trying to scrap allies together to stop a mysterious threat - and then hosed around the rest of the plot to make that work. Blowing up the Normandy, forcing you to work with Cerberus, making the council still not believe in Reapers. Everyone on the Citadel or Earth has to act like an absolute idiot in order to set up the rest of the games plot., and to justify you working with space-terrorists.

Except they didn't need to work so hard to justify it. Going into the backwoods of the galaxy, scraping together an army from nothing, that's exactly what Spectres are for. They could have had the council just say "we're busy preparing for the giant armada of cthulhu-bots, so we're sending you instead" and the whole plot would have worked without being so groan inducing.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

World Famous W posted:

I've had nothing but good experiences with goons in ss13, elder scrolls online and destiny 2, but all of those games are fairly laid back and co-operatively focused so that probably helps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

Agreedo, I feel like this is happening constantly with console games to the point that PC has morphed into the "I just want to play the drat game with no hassle" machine for me. At least there the problem is confined to multiplayer games, which I rarely play.