Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

All I know is that I got this game less than a week ago, I'm level 15, and I got matched against people on the enemy team that had a star next to their level, which I think means they prestiged and are over level 100.

Which just seems...weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Turf war has very little matchmaking happening iirc, and it's likely that they were grouped up with someon else in the game

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SeANMcBAY posted:

I always choose the thing I like more even if I think itll be popular or unpopular. I have enough snails already.

Basically this, yes. And OJ with pulp is the superior choice.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Pulp won despite all the no-pulp goofballs getting to play and learn the shifty station map in low-pressure mirror matches!!!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pulp won because I picked it and I've never lost a splatfest outside of the TMNT ones I didn't give a poo poo about.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

Hellioning posted:

All I know is that I got this game less than a week ago, I'm level 15, and I got matched against people on the enemy team that had a star next to their level, which I think means they prestiged and are over level 100.

Which just seems...weird.
Level is purely a measure of how long you’ve been playing, it doesn’t correlate to skill at all. Trust me, I’m level 53 and get matched with people in single digits all the time—and fully deserve to. :doh:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I finished Octo Canyon! :toot:

That was a cool final boss fight and good as hell music.

Now on to the Octo Expansion

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Harrow posted:

I finished Octo Canyon! :toot:

That was a cool final boss fight and good as hell music.

Now on to the Octo Expansion

Oh man, the expansion is so so much better so you’re in for a treat.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Are there more levels where you grind on rails jumping between them for the whole stage? Because that one stage in the last world in Octo Canyon was hilariously fun

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Harrow posted:

Are there more levels where you grind on rails jumping between them for the whole stage? Because that one stage in the last world in Octo Canyon was hilariously fun

Uhhh, there are. But I don't think you'll find them as fun as the ones in Octo Canyon. Those levels highlight the faults of ride rails a lot more than Octo Canyon did.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh god I think I might regret buying the Octo Expansion

this is all platforming/puzzle levels, isn't it

gently caress

it seems like no matter which way I try to go I have to push an 8-ball or react with speed far beyond my capability to a level rotating while I try to hunt for targets in a tiny time window. Can't I just shoot some octarians? :negative:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Harrow posted:

Oh god I think I might regret buying the Octo Expansion

this is all platforming/puzzle levels, isn't it

gently caress

Not really. There’s actually a lot of variety between levels.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I've already run into four 8-ball levels all within just a couple spaces of each other. Like I can tell there's a wide variety but 90% of them have something that's designed to stress me the gently caress out.

I think the problem I'm having is that it costs currency for each retry and some of these levels are loving expensive. Do I need to just grind out the easy levels for money so I can afford to fail the hard ones more than a handful of times? I really don't like the idea of just paying to pass every other level I come across but the number of tries it'd take me to succeed at some of these will bankrupt me for sure.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Harrow posted:

I've already run into four 8-ball levels all within just a couple spaces of each other. Like I can tell there's a wide variety but 90% of them have something that's designed to stress me the gently caress out.

I think the problem I'm having is that it costs currency for each retry and some of these levels are loving expensive. Do I need to just grind out the easy levels for money so I can afford to fail the hard ones more than a handful of times? I really don't like the idea of just paying to pass every other level I come across but the number of tries it'd take me to succeed at some of these will bankrupt me for sure.

Skip ones that are stressing you out and try to open other lines. I'm sure somebody has already figured out the price number, but it seems like you can leave a good amount of the stations uncleared and still get all four Thangs

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Just do the cheaper levels first. You’ll never run out then.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
even if you run out you don't actually run out. just don't worry about the currency

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Currency only really matters for the vending machine you can access after you complete the campaign.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, if you run out, the game gives you some to keep things from being unwinnable. The penalty is pretty much nonexistent.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I feel like me finding Octo Canyon hard should've probably been a warning sign, huh

I think I've found maybe 10% of the levels I've done so far to be fun. I can see how someone would like this, like I don't think it's bad or anything, it's just like they designed a set of levels specifically for people who are good at things I'm loving terrible at

Guy Goodbody posted:

Skip ones that are stressing you out

At this point that is all of them

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, Octo Expansion expects you to be fairly good at the game. And yeah, if Octo Canyon kicked your butt, Octo Expansion is pretty much gonna vaporize it. You can skip the levels, and you don't need to complete all 80 levels to beat it. Just getting the 4 thangs is enough.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think what makes me so frustrated is I'm actually doing pretty well at multiplayer, both Turf War and ranked. But the single player is about a whole different set of skills that just throws me for a fuckin' loop.

My real problem is that I'm stubborn, though. I will persist trying and failing over and over again long past the point where I'll gain any satisfaction at all from succeeding because I refuse to fail. It is not a healthy way to play games. I do not recommend it. Like at this point I just spent like 20 minutes on one level and when I actually succeeded I just didn't actually care anymore. I've skipped a couple of levels and I feel like they're taunting me.

EDIT: Okay the level where you ride cars to the finish was really fun

Harrow fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 26, 2018

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Just keep at it. Some of the challenges are really tough but it’s so satisfying to finally pass them. Your new skills will transfer to multiplayer too.:)

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

Harrow posted:

Most of the 8 ball levels where you need to get to a goal aren't timed so just take it slow and plink at them one shot at a time.

Harrow posted:

I think what makes me so frustrated is I'm actually doing pretty well at multiplayer, both Turf War and ranked. But the single player is about a whole different set of skills that just throws me for a fuckin' loop.

My real problem is that I'm stubborn, though. I will persist trying and failing over and over again long past the point where I'll gain any satisfaction at all from succeeding because I refuse to fail. It is not a healthy way to play games. I do not recommend it. Like at this point I just spent like 20 minutes on one level and when I actually succeeded I just didn't actually care anymore. I've skipped a couple of levels and I feel like they're taunting me.

EDIT: Okay the level where you ride cars to the finish was really fun

Like everyone else is saying, if you're getting tired of the same stage, go to another one, even if you were tired of that one before. Sometimes just stepping away for a bit can help clear your head.

Try different weapons for a change of pace, even if you don't have a lot of experience with them. I never used chargers much before, but I always ended up picking them in Octo Expansion for the range/damage. And now I kinda want to try them out in multiplayer!

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

making a lot of progress in octo expansion! I got three thangs, unlocked all the lines, and beat both “dodge poo poo for 30 seconds” stages that I’ve found so far. match the shape was cool

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah I liked the one match-the-shape level I found, that was clever. And the couple of levels I've done that were like crazy enemy gauntlets were fun, too.

Right now any time it's like a "don't you dare miss a single balloon" or "find all these out-of-the-way boxes in 2 minutes, nerd" I'm like pre-angry before I even load into the level, but there are some pretty fun levels here

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Harrow posted:

Yeah I liked the one match-the-shape level I found, that was clever. And the couple of levels I've done that were like crazy enemy gauntlets were fun, too.

Right now any time it's like a "don't you dare miss a single balloon" or "find all these out-of-the-way boxes in 2 minutes, nerd" I'm like pre-angry before I even load into the level, but there are some pretty fun levels here

Are you trying to finish every level your first go around or something? I never touched any of those.

Like you I also thought Octo Canyon was fairly challenging. I was worried about the dlc being too difficult to get through after reading initial impressions here but you can absolutely beat the dlc without touching most of the actual bullshit levels. Just make a beeline for junctions and if you find one that has a thang just pick whichever path to it has the cheapest (and therefore easiest) levels. I ignored most of the balloon ones because my aim sucks, but for the ones I did do using the squelcher if available makes them way more tolerable and forgiving with its longer range.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Is it true you can get past Grizzco gear still in the pink capsules? Nintendo wiped my save data in a repair and I was bummed about losing my life vest, if I can get another I'll be super jazzed. Dressing up as a life guard is the best.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m not the type to complain about weapons being OP but seriously has anyone actually told Nintendo just what they did to the Dualie Squelchers

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The Tri-slosher is really growing on me. I love the shotgun like blasts of it.

I dress for style points normally but how does one actually use/change/modify those little icon thingies?

I imagine their use goes up exponentially. Is there a good guide for that anywhere?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

A Spider Covets posted:

Is it true you can get past Grizzco gear still in the pink capsules? Nintendo wiped my save data in a repair and I was bummed about losing my life vest, if I can get another I'll be super jazzed. Dressing up as a life guard is the best.

Yeah, it's not hard to get it all sooner or later if you Salmon Run.

I beat all of Octo Expansion (minus the bonus boss) in a few nights. I must be doing something right.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

A Spider Covets posted:

I’ve gotten some older grizzco stuff in the small reward bonuses, yeah. It’s not super common but happens.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Wrist Watch posted:

Are you trying to finish every level your first go around or something? I never touched any of those.

Yeah, I'm too stubborn for my own good. I need to remember that I can just skip and come back later if something's too hard initially.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Yesss thank you goons, time to spam Salmon Run until I'm fresh as a daisy again.

It's been better for me lately with randos but I think that might be because I'm sneaking my rounds in in the morning while I'm chilling before work. Less babboos and more Japanese players kicking rear end.

Roll Fizzlebeef
Sep 9, 2003

You could also ask for a goon in discord to play a match with you while wearing it and place an order with Murch. (Assuming you can order Grizzco stuff, I haven't tried)

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Any quick way to level up to 10? Want my favorite mode from the first game

Roll Fizzlebeef
Sep 9, 2003

w00tmonger posted:

Any quick way to level up to 10? Want my favorite mode from the first game

You can get drink tickets in Octo Canyon or Salmon Run that increase the rate that you gain experience. You turn in the tickets at the food cart behind where you start in the plaza.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Any tips for using brushes? I'm having a hard time seeing what makes them good compared to rollers. They don't ink as much territory and spamming R2 doesn't do that much damage even up close (unless I'm doing it very wrong). Is it just that you move faster with the brush than the roller and that's useful for some game modes, or is there something I'm not getting in general?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Brushes are for moving around the stage quickly and ambushing people. They can be very effective if you play more stealthily.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That makes sense. I've been trying to use them like rollers which is probably why I keep getting owned and wondering why I'm not using a roller instead :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

brushes are the sword from halo