Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

I'm not sure what you consider a campaign, but from that link I see what I would consider to be a campaign. A bit of lore as to why you're there and an actual end game tech.

quote:

Lore Discovery
The reason why Duplicants are stuck on this Asteroid and the background of the world will slowly be revealed.

--
In the final phases of the game, we expect the tech tree to be much deeper than it is now, extending to what we would call “space tech”. During that phase, the Duplicants will discover why they are trapped on an asteroid, and what they can do about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I guess I would assume that they would say they are adding an actual campaign; lore is just text at the end of the day.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I played this again for a few hours after seeing it patch recently but I still struggle with the same part. Going from the early game chaos just getting things done and a planned layout makes me sigh then quit. Water's over there, power over there, I need a whole new access shaft, pipes all over, leave space for the heavy trunking and so on.
All my saves were too old so I made a new one and I'm at cycle 18. I have a real soupy mix of CO2, natural gas not much O2. I just got electrolizers but the power and water are on opposite sides of the base. I'll look up some pictures and see if they can make the transition before they all suffocate (again. I'm not good at keeping them alive).

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

How did you get Natural Gas at 18? Hopefully you didn’t choose a flatulent dupe.....

Also if you use coal generators power is wherever you put it.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Back Hack posted:

I don't have any ice biomes near me, I've already moved on to electrolyzers and they a good distant away from my farms. I'm screwed aren't I? :supaburn:

Put insulating or abyssalite tiles around the things that make the most heat (power generation tends to be a big source) to prevent further problems, and put wheezewort pots in your farm area to cool it down.

Heat management is tough in this game because there aren't too many ways to really deal with heat once you have it, so you have to plan for containing and minimizing it from the very start. Once you start having heat problems, it's already too late to do much about them, and you'll find yourself having to rebuild large parts of your base if you didn't lay everything out with heat in mind.

That's one of my peeves with this game, actually. The first-playthrough progression kinda sucks because a number of systems start off as trivially easy with barely any construction or planning requirements, and suddenly shoot straight to total crisis mode without any real ramp-up. For example, wiring - since regular wire is so easy to handle, there's no indication that the player needs to leave space for expansion of the system later, so they're in for a real bad surprise if they don't already know Heavi-Watt's requirements up-front and plan for them from the start.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Lorini posted:

How did you get Natural Gas at 18? Hopefully you didn’t choose a flatulent dupe.....

You can rush it. Not that hard.

I always make a point to start with a dupe that has 8 Learning, which allows me to finish the whole tree by cycle 40 or so.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Just to make sure, you know about the heat overlay, right?

Yes, I know how it works, how do you think I know that all the biomes surrounding me are in the 70c degree range. :v:

Main Paineframe posted:

Put insulating or abyssalite tiles around the things that make the most heat (power generation tends to be a big source) to prevent further problems, and put wheezewort pots in your farm area to cool it down.

I started throwing insulation around, which kind of helped a little by dropping the temp .5 degrees, not enough but still helped a little.

Am I assuming this is how the whole deal with heatsink works ingame? I want highly reactive tiles (aka, my room tiles) to transfer heat to my high capacity tiles (not room tiles) to contain said heat, or do I have this backwards?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Back Hack posted:

Yes, I know how it works, how do you think I know that all the biomes surrounding me are in the 70c degree range. :v:
I figured you did, but if you hover over or click on an individual tile it shows you the temperature.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Lorini posted:

Now you mention it, at least one of them yes. I took the starting 3 and chose whatever from the ones that come. I take it I should be more picky?

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
If you put a bunch of wheezeworts in a room and pump it full of hydrogen it acts as a refrigerator. It's about 2/3 insulated tiles, and 1/3 granite.
I run all my oxygen through this, and the end result is 50* oxygen going out and cooling other parts of my base. It's so cold right now it's actually causing cold damage to my wolframite pipes running through there.

You will need a high pressure gas vent, which takes plastic, so you need to insulate your heat makers until you can get there. Two electrolyzers filled it up with hydrogen in 15-20 min.

Ratzap posted:

Now you mention it, at least one of them yes. I took the starting 3 and chose whatever from the ones that come. I take it I should be more picky?

Narcoleptic and flatulent are probably the hardest two traits to deal with.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Ratzap posted:

I played this again for a few hours after seeing it patch recently but I still struggle with the same part. Going from the early game chaos just getting things done and a planned layout makes me sigh then quit. Water's over there, power over there, I need a whole new access shaft, pipes all over, leave space for the heavy trunking and so on.
All my saves were too old so I made a new one and I'm at cycle 18. I have a real soupy mix of CO2, natural gas not much O2. I just got electrolizers but the power and water are on opposite sides of the base. I'll look up some pictures and see if they can make the transition before they all suffocate (again. I'm not good at keeping them alive).
re: air sounds like you dug out a co2 patch. dig down and up so the co2 has somewhere to go
one thing i stress on here but people kinda ignore it is pressurizing your base. build up a lot of o2 and other gasses get forced to the extremes of your base. you do this by making your base tight and with hard doors (manual or mechanized). this will keep your base nice and blue. co2 and any other gas will get pushed up or down out of the way. i accomplish this with doors and algae deoxydizers on moderately high priority. i do micromanage turning the deoxydizer on and off to conserve algae. later, i attached atmo switches to them to make sure they maintain constant pressure. making electrolyzers is usually later in my base.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
My biggest complaint is the AI seems to just lose it once I have a moderate sized base. Why do my dupes go all the way down to the oil refinery, work it for 1 second, and then go get distracted delivering some random ore sitting on the ground, or flipping compost, or farming or literally anything else? Oil refinery is at 9 priority, I even removed some jobs from dupes to make sure that wasn't interfering.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

temple posted:

re: air sounds like you dug out a co2 patch. dig down and up so the co2 has somewhere to go
one thing i stress on here but people kinda ignore it is pressurizing your base. build up a lot of o2 and other gasses get forced to the extremes of your base. you do this by making your base tight and with hard doors (manual or mechanized). this will keep your base nice and blue. co2 and any other gas will get pushed up or down out of the way. i accomplish this with doors and algae deoxydizers on moderately high priority. i do micromanage turning the deoxydizer on and off to conserve algae. later, i attached atmo switches to them to make sure they maintain constant pressure. making electrolyzers is usually later in my base.

Probably. I started again and I'm trying to avoid opening the CO2 pockets till I can deal with the stuff. With 13 algae farms and 5 dupes I finally make more O2 per cycle than they use which is something I kinda ignored before.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Sipher posted:

My biggest complaint is the AI seems to just lose it once I have a moderate sized base. Why do my dupes go all the way down to the oil refinery, work it for 1 second, and then go get distracted delivering some random ore sitting on the ground, or flipping compost, or farming or literally anything else? Oil refinery is at 9 priority, I even removed some jobs from dupes to make sure that wasn't interfering.

Yeah it would be awesome if they would release the information on what specific tasks go with what specific priorities, but they have not done that. So therefore the sub priorities don’t work the way you think they would.

For example, a dupe operates the Microbe Musher, so you would think that the Operate task would govern that right? But no, it’s cooking which since the Musher never seems as if it’s cooking anything seems strange to say the least.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Ratzap posted:

Probably. I started again and I'm trying to avoid opening the CO2 pockets till I can deal with the stuff. With 13 algae farms and 5 dupes I finally make more O2 per cycle than they use which is something I kinda ignored before.

13 algae Terrariums? That's overkill and they aren't meant for oxygen production, it's more a bonus while you're clearing out carbon dioxide if you're struggling with it early on. You'll burn through your algae AND water in short order with that amount. You can get by with at most 2 Algae Deoxydizers until you can build your first electrolyzer setup (where each setup can support up to 8 dupes).

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 26, 2018

insta
Jan 28, 2009
They don't use any more algae than deoxidizers, but they produce a ton of polluted water. However, polluted water is fantastic for heat deletion! Use a bottle emptier at the top of a stack of machinery, and let the water zig-zag down the machinery (including thermo regulators...) and pick up a ton of heat. When it pools at the bottom, use a liquid pump to run it through a sieve, and vent the output of the sieve straight onto your terrariums.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Ratzap posted:

13 is way overkill. Keep in mind it's normal to make less O2 than you consume on some cycles because of pressure - only oxygen output from you buildings (not oxylite) counts to production, and they won't produce anything if they're waiting to output due to high air pressure. Early in the game you basically can't produce more than you consume, because all your production will be taken care of by oxylite.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I rejigged that game once I got the tech for it. I laid out a room with a coal burner, a hydrogen one and pumps/filters. Pipes from the water, to a CO2 scrubber and to the barracks where they could barely breathe any more. It took the lazy slobs 3 cycles to build it all but it works Igor! The coal gen CO2 goes to the scrubber room way down the bottom next to the green piss water sump. O2 goes to the barracks and hydrogen is sent to the H2 gen. I have 2 farms left dealing with waste CO2 and will dump them once the scrubber makes a dent in the mess.

Is there a way to stop generators when the batteries are full? It seems to waste a fair bit of fuel.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Build a smart battery and connect it to the generators with an automation wire. Fiddle with the levels in the battery UI if you want but it's perfectly serviceable with the defaults.

LyndaFromHR
Jun 19, 2018

by R. Guyovich
New to the game and I’m trying to see if I’m misunderstanding some concepts:
Let’s say, for giggles, I want to use liquid co2 as a coal power plant stack cooling resource. Even assuming I could get, and keep, a wheezewort room cold, my desire would be to pump and pour cold liquid co2 into my power plant room. As it vaporizes it gets pumped out back into the same system that carries off the usual co2 exhaust from the power plants - closed circuit. Gas pumps, gets cold and then becomes liquid I guess? I’m not sure how the pipes convert from gas to liquid.

I know the temp range is tight but i only care if it gets too cold - right? How would I control that?

This all comes from co2 being a nightmare and my dupes gasping their last on co2.

TIA.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Good thinking, but wheezeworts wont liquefy gasses, according to the wiki. And insulated pipes are expensive. Plus the coal generators constantly produce CO2, so it wouldnt be a completely closed system.

CO2 always seeks the bottom right of any airway, so you can just dig down for a (long) while to dump it.

Carbon skimmers destroy CO2, but they need clean water (and power) as an input, and output polluted water. You can (mostly?, not sure of the volume needed) close that water loop by running the polluted water into a water sieve then using the produced clean water to feed the skimmers.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

CO2 always seeks the bottom right of any airway, so you can just dig down for a (long) while to dump it.

Wrong! Gasses no longer have a side-to-side preference as of the latest major update. You can make your pit on the left or in the center now and no longer have to worry about heavy stuff trending to the right and lighter stuff to the left in a somewhat intuitive fashion.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
That explains a few recent oddities.

But since we’re kind of on the subject, are carbon skimmers the only things that will reduce overall pressure (outside of, I assume, venting gas into space)? Do slicksters do the same?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

That explains a few recent oddities.

But since we’re kind of on the subject, are carbon skimmers the only things that will reduce overall pressure (outside of, I assume, venting gas into space)? Do slicksters do the same?

Yes, Slicksters do reduce pressure. If you watch in debug mode they can start in caves full of CO2 and eventually they'll be empty other than a pile of oil on the floor.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Five slicksters starved to death with three coal plants, a petroleum plant, and two natural gas plants all at once. They are beasts.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Jesus, I need to get back into this game. Looks like they added a lot of crap to it from the last time I was seriously playing. A surface biome with sunlight and possibly meteors? Hmm, wonder if you can use the vacuum of space to bleed out excess heat too...

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Speedball posted:

Jesus, I need to get back into this game. Looks like they added a lot of crap to it from the last time I was seriously playing. A surface biome with sunlight and possibly meteors? Hmm, wonder if you can use the vacuum of space to bleed out excess heat too...

Not possibly meteors, but definitely meteors. It's a semi-constant bombardment.

And...you can if you use hot gasses/liquids. Any tile with a Space background will suck up/destroy any gas or liquid in it and therefore destroy the heat it contains. However since there's no mass in those tiles, they're also basically immune to heat transfer so any building in a vacuum that generates heat will quickly heat up and break down. Likewise, any hot item/tile will just stay hot until it can transfer the heat through nearby solids.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
So, how do you deal with big bases later on? Ideally I want dupes to go up to my ice biome, use the toilet that's up there if needed (got tired of them getting halfway up the ladder and needing to piss) then stay up there to dig out the tunnel more/collect what I want them to collect.

What usually happens is they go up there, piss (hey at least that part works), then they dig a couple tiles and gently caress off back to the base. I actually ended up building a firepole all the way down because poo poo I might as well get some additional time out of it, but its kind of annoying.

On that note, how do I prepare to move into other biomes? Do I just create airlocks and pump in oxygen/pump out any other gas? I ended up moving out into the slime biome by having the polluted air cleaners in the airlock (2 of them, sink in the middle) and slowly i'm digging it out, just monitoring slimelung levels and it doesn't seem to bad if i'm doing it slowly, but i'm not sure about chlorine areas. As Chlorine falls down i'm thinking I should just create an Airlock above it, then build into it as the chlorine will just stay in there (it falls down right?) Then I can just pump out the C02 once in a while (can't imagine i'll be producing a lot in those rooms).

Can Duplicants breathe in Chlorine?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

use firepoles
i make major shafts 3 tiles wide with [ladder][transit tube][firepole]
i make space outhouses but mainly just in working areas

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

dogstile posted:

Can Duplicants breathe in Chlorine?

They can't breathe anything except oxygen and polluted oxygen, so they'll hold their breath until they reach a pocket or actively seek out one if they're starting to suffocate. Chlorine is fine to have just hovering about, your dupes won't get hurt walking through it. It is heavier than oxygen but lighter than CO2.

Slime biomes benefit from a bottom-up approach. Clean air is heavier than polluted air, so as you're digging out the biome and cleaning it you're pushing potential propagators of slime lung further and further away from your entrance.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Sage Grimm posted:

They can't breathe anything except oxygen and polluted oxygen, so they'll hold their breath until they reach a pocket or actively seek out one if they're starting to suffocate. Chlorine is fine to have just hovering about, your dupes won't get hurt walking through it. It is heavier than oxygen but lighter than CO2.

Slime biomes benefit from a bottom-up approach. Clean air is heavier than polluted air, so as you're digging out the biome and cleaning it you're pushing potential propagators of slime lung further and further away from your entrance.

that's weird tho. oxygen deodorizers are what change po2 to o2. they won't work if on the bottom and po2 on the top. the o2 will never be clean because the po2 will just spread more germs to it.

the best way to get rid of slime lung is to change all po2 into o2. eventually the germs will die.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Except every tile that's full of clean is one less tile producing germs and one more tile killing germs. Unless you have an infinite PO2 source eventually the deodorized stuff wins out.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

One thing I always seem to have trouble with, is getting oxygen where it needs to go efficiently, I make plenty of it, just my method delivering it needs some work. I've been setting up my ventilation system so that each room has it's own vent, but that's not really working real well, so I've been wondering, how has everyone been setting up their vents?

CellarDweller
Jan 19, 2014

Down In The Pit... There's It!

Back Hack posted:

One thing I always seem to have trouble with, is getting oxygen where it needs to go efficiently, I make plenty of it, just my method delivering it needs some work. I've been setting up my ventilation system so that each room has it's own vent, but that's not really working real well, so I've been wondering, how has everyone been setting up their vents?

I used to try to build complicated vent systems like that. I've found its easier to just make everything out of airflow tile and not worry about it. Vent the oxygen whereever and suck the co2 out of the bottom of the base.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

LyndaFromHR posted:

New to the game and I’m trying to see if I’m misunderstanding some concepts:
Let’s say, for giggles, I want to use liquid co2 as a coal power plant stack cooling resource. Even assuming I could get, and keep, a wheezewort room cold, my desire would be to pump and pour cold liquid co2 into my power plant room. As it vaporizes it gets pumped out back into the same system that carries off the usual co2 exhaust from the power plants - closed circuit. Gas pumps, gets cold and then becomes liquid I guess? I’m not sure how the pipes convert from gas to liquid.

I know the temp range is tight but i only care if it gets too cold - right? How would I control that?

This all comes from co2 being a nightmare and my dupes gasping their last on co2.

TIA.

If a substance undergoes a phase change in the pipe, it'll just break the pipe and leak out. You can cool it down in the pipes, but you'll need to dump it somewhere to cross the gas-to-liquid threshold.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Picked this up in the sale, and after reading a few tips I've made it to day 50 before dupes started dying. I ran out of water and coal, and at the end decided to blitz to a buried room just to check it out... only to find I couldn't open the door.

Also I tried to build a hothouse to grow peppers, but the room didn't get hot enough for them while still radiating enough heat to kill my mealworm plants.

What's the best way to do food? It seems so labour and resource intensive that I kind of feel like it's better to just feed the dupes dirt and put the extra resources into art so they don't feel too bad.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Elfface posted:

Picked this up in the sale, and after reading a few tips I've made it to day 50 before dupes started dying. I ran out of water and coal, and at the end decided to blitz to a buried room just to check it out... only to find I couldn't open the door.

Also I tried to build a hothouse to grow peppers, but the room didn't get hot enough for them while still radiating enough heat to kill my mealworm plants.

What's the best way to do food? It seems so labour and resource intensive that I kind of feel like it's better to just feed the dupes dirt and put the extra resources into art so they don't feel too bad.

Your best foods for easy setup and pure Kcal are either bristleberries or and dusk caps (same Kcal value as Bristleberries and actually grow slightly faster, takes slime to feed them) Both can then be cooked to increase how much food they produce and their quality. Later on you can grow Sleet Wheat too.

Also you'll have to set up your peppers in another area: don't place them near the center of your base since, as you noticed, they want it hot. Put them near heavy machinery or in a hot biome.

Anything you want to really produce en-masse you'll want to make a greenhouse out of with a farming station. The farming station/greenhouse provides no passive bonus of its own, but every plant within said greenhouse can be fertilized to grow at 2x speed. The only plant they do NOT work on is mealwood. If you have fertilizer, then Bristleberry grows at the same speed as Mealwood, and Duskcaps grow slightly faster.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
So, cooling time.

I've got two wheezeworts, which isn't enough. I'm currently just using them to pump "colder" air through my farm (oxygen producting thing on the far right by the wall, wheeze worts on the left of that, farm on the left of the wheezers) and then through the rest of the base, which is good! Net positive of -3c putting me from 29.8 to 26! Fantastic, actually what I need. Kind of worried about the rest of my base now that I have power that i'm not touching aside from to feed it more resources set up.

Is it feasible to just run a pipe of oxygen through a wheezewort room to cool down the air and release it at the bottom of my base (i've got decent airflow).

If so, how many wheezeworts do people use? Is there a good ratio?

dogstile fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jun 29, 2018

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

dogstile posted:

So, cooling time.

I've got two wheezeworts, which isn't enough. I'm currently just using them to pump "colder" air through my farm (oxygen producting thing on the far right by the wall, wheeze worts on the left of that, farm on the left of the wheezers) and then through the rest of the base, which is good! Net positive of -3c putting me from 29.8 to 26! Fantastic, actually what I need. Kind of worried about the rest of my base now that I have power that i'm not touching aside from to feed it more resources set up.

Is it feasible to just run a pipe of oxygen through a wheezewort room to cool down the air and release it at the bottom of my base (i've got decent airflow).

If so, how many wheezeworts do people use? Is there a good ratio?

Yes! I'm not exactly sure how many you need, it depends on what you're pumping (how hot it is, how cold you want it) and such details. But a sealed wheezewort chamber is often used as a system refrigerator where hot gasses or liquids (or solids once you get mechantronics) are piped through and come out as cold on the other side. You'll need a sealed room and, ideally, high pressure hydrogen gas.

Basically how wheezeworts work: they suck up the air in their bottom tile, outputs the gas from their top tile when they "exhale" and subtract 5C from the temperature. It's a flat value, so the more heat energy a gas can hold the better. The gas that hold the most energy per KG is Hydrogen (at least according to everything I've read), so you'll delete the energy with H2 gas: the higher the pressure, the better. Fill the room with radiant piping and/or highly reactive temp-shift plates and you'll get an incredibly cold room to pass gasses or liquids through.

Alternatively, with some planning you can also use polluted water as heat dump. Use it as a coolant, especially for smelters, and then run it through sieves. Sieves give a fixed output at 40C, so any water that was over 41C when put in will be a net loss of heat.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jun 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

CellarDweller posted:

I used to try to build complicated vent systems like that. I've found its easier to just make everything out of airflow tile and not worry about it. Vent the oxygen whereever and suck the co2 out of the bottom of the base.

Yeah my method as well. Also a ton of digging to get the other gases to move away from the main base.