Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

My DICK is an rpg

Really
Petite
Game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

Verisimilidude posted:

My DICK is an rpg

Really
Petite
Game

that is a pretty name

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

The Witcher 3 is absolutely not an RPG.

It's also a pretty boring game, although well made.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

It isn't. You are Geralt. You have to do what Geradt will do

You play the role of Geralt. You take on the role of that character and make decisions. The whole theme of the Witcher series is grey areas of morality. By your definition, Final Fantasy 1 and the MMOs are the real RPGs, and every Final Fantasy with defined characters fitting a narrative is not an RPG. That's great if you're willing a loving dissertation on the rhetorical theory of genre names, but they are simple classifications used for a taxonomy. You might as well tell David Duke he's not literally white.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Call it an RPG if you want to, who cares

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

signalnoise posted:

You play the role of Geralt. You take on the role of that character and make decisions. The whole theme of the Witcher series is grey areas of morality. By your definition, Final Fantasy 1 and the MMOs are the real RPGs, and every Final Fantasy with defined characters fitting a narrative is not an RPG. That's great if you're willing a loving dissertation on the rhetorical theory of genre names, but they are simple classifications used for a taxonomy. You might as well tell David Duke he's not literally white.

wow! you are really serious about video games.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

It isn't. You are Geralt. You have to do what Geradt will do

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

The Witcher 3 is absolutely not an RPG.

It's also a pretty boring game, although well made.

And yet it was marketed as an RPG, it’s usually listed as an RPG, and by-and-large the gaming community considers it to be an RPG. Now you may just say that they’ve all got it wrong, but that’s a pretty retarded argument.

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
Is Mario RPG an RPG?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Verisimilidude posted:

My DICK is an rpg

Really
Petite
Game

2 min of gameplay and no replayability. It's also well known to contain viruses in the executable package.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Magnitogorsk. posted:

Is Mario RPG an RPG?

It’s a turn based strategy game.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

fruit on the bottom posted:

And yet it was marketed as an RPG, it’s usually listed as an RPG, and by-and-large the gaming community considers it to be an RPG. Now you may just say that they’ve all got it wrong, but that’s a pretty retarded argument.

Nah I'm not gonna say they've got it all wrong I'm gonna say it's a stupid video game who gives a gently caress.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

If jumping off a bridge was marketed as an RPG,

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Fallout 4 is a decent Bethesda game and an insanely lovely Fallout game.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

I don't like that word.

"Pretty" is too objective

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Sonic CD is the most epic RPG out there. You can go back in time and change the present and even future.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

If a game is marketed as an RPG, usually listed as an RPG, and by-and-large the gaming community considers it to be an RPG, one might say that not considering that game to be an RPG is a... unpopular video game opinion

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost
Crusader Kings 2 is the best 4X game in the last 20 years

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

wow! you are really serious about video games.

Internet discussion happens when a guy reads words on a screen and thinks the other guy must be way unchill for whatever reason when both of them are bored out of their fuckin minds

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

signalnoise posted:

Internet discussion happens when a guy reads words on a screen and thinks the other guy must be way unchill for whatever reason when both of them are bored out of their fuckin minds

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

2house2fly posted:

The game is extremely clunky; it's popular because of the cutscenes. The Bloody Baron quest, which it sounds like you're about to hit, is the highlight of the game by far

I have a friend who swears by the combat and says it tops stuff like monster hunter, dragon's dogma and dark souls.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

ChazTurbo posted:

I have a friend who swears by the combat and says it tops stuff like monster hunter, dragon's dogma and dark souls.

your friend is a retard

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Nah I'm not gonna say they've got it all wrong I'm gonna say it's a stupid video game who gives a gently caress.

That’s where I was going too, so I can l live with that.

ChazTurbo posted:

I’m having trouble with Monster Hunter. I don’t know what I’m missing but something about the combat just isn’t clicking for me.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

I’m having trouble with Monster Hunter. I don’t know what I’m missing but something about the combat just isn’t clicking for me.

There's like 14 weapons you can try with very different gameplay styles, I settled on the insect glaive because you can stay in the air doing air combos the entire time.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

2house2fly posted:

The game is extremely clunky; it's popular because of the cutscenes. The Bloody Baron quest, which it sounds like you're about to hit, is the highlight of the game by far
really? Does it have anything similar to Witcher 1's swamp area where you can blow up like a million anthropomorphic slug guys at once? because that parts really fun

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Witcher 3 is an RPG the same vein Mass Effect and Dragon Age was.

Fallout 4 is an RPG the same vein Oblivion and Morrowind was.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Every "RPG" after Ultima IV is for casuals

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Every game is a role playing game

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

I had to give up on Prey. The game is so slow and boring. I'm like 12 hours in and I think I've seen like four or five different enemies? And for 90% of them, combat is the same thing: stun with gloo gun, whack with wrench. Most of the game is spent sneaking around opening desk drawers and fishing out junk. The environments are kinda samey too, and the zero-g parts are suuuuuuper slow.

were you using shift to boost forward? your speed is capped at ridiculously low levels if you're using the altitude jets only

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Sorry to go negative, but I just started playing that Shantae half genie ultimate game, and Shantae has an insanely bad idle animation. (The game is pretty fun so far though).

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You play the role of the Doom Marine and you make choices about which weapon to use, which affects the story of which weapon the demons were killed by

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

frajaq posted:

Every game is a role playing game

2house2fly posted:

You play the role of the Doom Marine and you make choices about which weapon to use, which affects the story of which weapon the demons were killed by

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Let's be honest, if the Legend of Zelda games are RPGs then p much any game is an RPG.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

a bone to pick posted:

Let's be honest, if the Legend of Zelda games are RPGs then p much any game is an RPG.

They're not, they're adventure games.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

They're not, they're adventure games.

what's the difference?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

a bone to pick posted:

Zelda is a single player MOBA

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

TheScott2K posted:

Zelda is a single player MOBA

:hai:

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

game classifications don't matter they're either good and bad, most bad and some I assume are good games.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

what's the difference?

I already explained this.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

RPG
JRPG
Western RPG
CRPG
Action
Action RPG
Adventure RPG
Action-Adventure
Point-and-click Adventure

This poo poo is endless and ridiculous but some of those have more meaning than others, and I wonder if the reason there's confusion is because back in the NES days there was much less stratification, and maybe people in their 30's or higher have a more clear definition of these terms because of they were basically invented out of necessity by the games journalism industry when your mainstream options for that were pretty much Nintendo Power, Gamepro, and EGM. There was a time when Metroid, Zelda 2, and Faxanadu were considered to have similar combat and progression with differences, but essentially they were sidescrollers with locks on your progression based on finishing objectives that weren't linearly placed. You can't pidgeonhole so much anymore because the core mechanics that used to be the means of categorizing a game by genre got mixed together in their own games. The only genre in that list that still really functions is point-and-click adventure because the control mechanic is specified in the title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

I already explained this.

i'm not very smart. can you explain it better?