Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Phy posted:

I could stand a Consider Phlebas movie

Oh man a culture movie would be rad. But I think surface detail or use of weapons might work better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Smiling Jack posted:

Guys, the Vulture was like two comma rich in the beginning because he owned the company and then was gonna lose everything thanks to Stark and Damage Control. His objective wasn't getting rich, it was staying rich.

You can own a business and not be rich. He wasn't rich he was a typical struggling small business owner knocked out of the job by the rich competition.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He managed to make a winning bid to clean up midtown Manhattan after an alien invasion.

He was doing alright

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Stairs posted:

You can own a business and not be rich. He wasn't rich he was a typical struggling small business owner knocked out of the job by the rich competition.

Aphrodite posted:

He managed to make a winning bid to clean up midtown Manhattan after an alien invasion.

He was doing alright

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Aleph Null posted:

Because, seriously, where does T. Stark get all his money, enough to spend hundreds of billions of dollars on vanity flying weaponized armor and even some for his buddy Peter.

His parents were really rich, he's owns a company that makes poo poo for the military which is basically a license to print money, and I seriously doubt he has ever payed any taxes.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Phy posted:

Well then have I got news for you!

Amazon is developing a series based on Iain M. Banks’ sci-fi novel Consider Phlebas

Whether it's good news or not depends your opinion of the actual possibility of making Consider Phlebas into watchable television.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Memento posted:

Well then have I got news for you!

Amazon is developing a series based on Iain M. Banks’ sci-fi novel Consider Phlebas

Whether it's good news or not depends your opinion of the actual possibility of making Consider Phlebas into watchable television.

It's extremely action-oriented and dare I say episodic. Lots of locales and reading the end was like watching a Die Hard or Mission Impossible set piece.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

syscall girl posted:

It's extremely action-oriented and dare I say episodic. Lots of locales and reading the end was like watching a Die Hard or Mission Impossible set piece.

I last read it in 1992, I should probably fix that.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 29 hours!
It is sort of a weird gloss-over in the MCU movies that we never learn, after Stark Industries stops making weapons, what they actually do make. They're clearly still a big player given they can launch the Stark Expo in IM2 and get approached by AIM in IM3, but we don't see what they actually do now.

You can suggest arc reactor technology, but that's clearly still a personal project by Stark that he's not ready to distribute; Stark Tower was going to be a public test display of it in The Avengers, but then the events of The Avengers happened. In Winter Soldier we hear that Tony worked on the propulsion systems for Project Insight, but that's all, the actual company wasn't contracted for it. Ultron is a Stark project gone wrong, but he was a pipe dream that Tony and Bruce worked on personally for a few days before giving up on.

All we know is that Stark Industries is building the larger production stuff for Iron Man; the satellites, the mass-produced Iron Legion, all that. But given as far as we know nobody's paying for that, I can't imagine it's an extremely profitable venture.

For content: Age of Ultron is mostly mediocre and has no real connecting tissue to link its events together, but there's one scene I really like, where everybody, slightly drunk after a party, tries to lift Thor's hammer. There's a bunch of good character moments sprinkled throughout that scene (my personal favorite is that Rhodes tries to help Tony, but doesn't give it a shot himself), but the most important one is the blink-and-you'll-miss-it moment where Steve Rogers manages to shift it a tiny bit, and nobody but Thor notices. That's an important thing to cover to understand the requirements, since Cap's probably the most heroic person in these movies, but it's also a tip to Steve's own arc throughout the movie: Mjolnir's looking for a just ruler, and Steve is capable of that, but he's too stuck into fighting and being a soldier, he never wants the war to be over. He's more aware of that than Thor was about his own problems in his debut movie, though, so Steve can make something happen.

It also sets up that it's not just 'only Thor can wield it' which is paid off later where Vision shows himself able to pick it up. That scene itself has a neat little moment to it that we don't actually see him pick it up, we only see him handing it over, because nobody in the scene is actually paying attention to that part.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 03:34 on Jun 5, 2018

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Aphrodite posted:

He was doing alright

If he made the winning bid, he was probably the cheapest.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Davros1 posted:

If he made the winning bid, he was probably the cheapest.

Yeeeep.
Plus he says that he sunk "every last dime" into this job.
A couple of trucks, a crew of maybe a dozen.
That's not millionaire money. That's a hard-scrabble crew running on fumes.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

Yeeeep.
Plus he says that he sunk "every last dime" into this job.
A couple of trucks, a crew of maybe a dozen.
That's not millionaire money. That's a hard-scrabble crew running on fumes.

Probably one of those crews with a diehard core that he just refuses to fire and the kind of company that resorts to accounting games to stay afloat and even then is rickety from payday to payday.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They had like 6 city block sized flying whale monsters, and multiple buildings destroyed. He had a pretty good sized company.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Aphrodite posted:

They had like 6 city block sized flying whale monsters, and multiple buildings destroyed. He had a pretty good sized company.

That assumes his crew was working in all sectors at the same pace.
More likely he was yet another government contractor milking the system dry and taking 300% longer than normal.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Phy posted:

heard this was getting a series from amazon

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Cleretic posted:

For content: Age of Ultron is mostly mediocre and has no real connecting tissue to link its events together, but there's one scene I really like, where everybody, slightly drunk after a party, tries to lift Thor's hammer. There's a bunch of good character moments sprinkled throughout that scene (my personal favorite is that Rhodes tries to help Tony, but doesn't give it a shot himself), but the most important one is the blink-and-you'll-miss-it moment where Steve Rogers manages to shift it a tiny bit, and nobody but Thor notices.

Yeah this is the only scene I remember from that movie

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Stark Industries seems to have plenty of fingers in engineering, I imagine they make shitloads of construction, robotics and industrial factory equipment, as well as the defense contracts being the above-mentioned license to print money. (and they've been making weapons for Uncle Sam since WW2 and all) Possibly software as well.

And a lot about the Vulture makes sense when from the surface he seems like a down on his luck guy trying to feed his family, on a closer look, being a petty bourgeois maintaining his societal status through criminality and violence is almost textbook origins of fascism. Though I must admit I love that his operation is basically garage X-COM. (even more fitting given one of the best ways to make money in the original is to mass-produce laser cannons to sell to whoever wants them)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
It's not unusual for people in Toomes business to make a lot of money, but also be leveraged to hell and back. So he could be well off and still ruined by Damage Control pulling the rug out from under him. Construction companies are all about debt and cash flow. They don't often keep big nest eggs.

And gently caress me, I didn't even get the scavenger/Vulture connection.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Krispy Wafer posted:

I still love that the fringe on his leather jacket is similar to that of a vulture.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Krispy Wafer posted:

I'll admit that it took me almost to the end of the movie for my brain to click and go, OOOOOOOOHHHH

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

mojo1701a posted:

I still love that the fringe on his leather jacket is similar to that of a vulture.

I was surprise it wasn't spelled out that Toomes used to be a fighter pilot. Maybe used the same wingsuits as Falcon.

On an unrelated (possibly) note, I watched Yellow Submarine recently. Notable that, for a caricature of ivory tower university intellectuals whose rhetoric and ideas have no relevance to anyone who needs it, the Nowhere Man is, after only a brief time hanging with the Beatles, capable of utterly deconstructing the Blue Meanies and convincing them to abandon their defeated fascist ways and joining the Pepperland counterculture, that their authoritarianism is that fragile and hollow that the ideas of relaxed acceptance and freedom are capable of reforming fascists into people capable of rejoining society.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I learned something cool about Jurassic Park today. So everyone knows the start of the kitchen scene where the Velociraptor snorts on the window before opening the door. Apparently that scene was added at the insistence of Jack Horner, the paleontologist who helped supervise the film. Apparently he wanted them to put the scene in as a means of pushing the point that dinosaurs were warm blooded animals rather than cold blooded lizards. A lizard wouldn't be able to snort out air warm enough to cause condensation the way the raptor does.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I was surprise it wasn't spelled out that Toomes used to be a fighter pilot. Maybe used the same wingsuits as Falcon.

On an unrelated (possibly) note, I watched Yellow Submarine recently. Notable that, for a caricature of ivory tower university intellectuals whose rhetoric and ideas have no relevance to anyone who needs it, the Nowhere Man is, after only a brief time hanging with the Beatles, capable of utterly deconstructing the Blue Meanies and convincing them to abandon their defeated fascist ways and joining the Pepperland counterculture, that their authoritarianism is that fragile and hollow that the ideas of relaxed acceptance and freedom are capable of reforming fascists into people capable of rejoining society.

Oh my god... I’ve seen that film a dozen times at least. You just made think about the ending again, and I suddenly “got” a joke that slipped by me for years. (Decades)
The Boss Meany is lamenting to his lackey “It’s no longer a blue world, Max. Where will we go?” To which Max responds “Argentina?”

... which is where a poo poo ton of nazis fled post WWII.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
bttf 3 came on tv today and i noticed some stuff i hadn't caught before, at the start when marty is with doc in his 1955 house going over what happened in movie 2 and marty is going around futzing with doc's inventions, he sits down across from the dog copernicus and a chessboard covered with gadgetry is between them. the implication is that doc and the dog play chess using this invention and copernicus plays white, doc black. hanging from the top of the gadgetry on the chessboard are the captured pieces, and copernicus has captured a lot more of doc's pieces than doc has copernicus'.

also, when marty wakes up in his ancestors' home in 1885 and his irish great great great grand-lea thompson wakes him up, before he gets out of bed he quickly looks down before taking the blanket off, just to make sure his pants are still on.

and im assuming this is intentional: when dennis on its always sunny gets extra rapey/killy, he often seems to be wearing dexter's kill outfit from the hit show dexter.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
In pacific rim uprising after Mako is killed by the drone and they find her final message and decode it They are trying to match the image up to the images of the kaiju on the computer. The kaijus computer images are all monster hunter monster pictograms.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Done in the same style, or literally the same pictures?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You can also see an Anaheim Electronics sign during the big battle at the end, just in case the unicorn Gundam statue was too obvious.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Ignite Memories posted:

Done in the same style, or literally the same pictures?

both i think. I want to say duramboros was one of the signs but I didnt recognize all 4 they showed

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

The Last Crusade isn't the best Indy film, and I might be reaching but it had a bunch of foreshadowing at the start that I thought was cool;
At the lecture in beginning, Indiana says that most archeology is done in a library, and that X never marks the spot, which is funny cause the very first thing he does on his adventure is go in a library where X marks the spot.

When he meets the bad guy for the first time they're talking about how they're so close to finding the Grail, he says like "we are at the last step", to which Indy says "That's usually where the floor falls from under you", which is exactly what happens at the end in the tomb of the Grail

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

The Last Crusade isn't the best Indy film

:wrong:

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

It's my fave but people are mean to me when I admit that so I've learned to hide my true feelings

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
It's better than Temple of Doom, it's arguably better than Raiders although Raiders has a better ending (melted Nazi > desiccated Nazi) and I haven't seen Crystal Skull although I understand I'm not missing much.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
What I wouldn't give to be you.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I have a friend who says Crystal Skull is the best he’s ever seen just to watch people get nerd ragey and then he hits them with it’s the only one hes seen and they get even madder

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Last Crusade is my personal favorite as well but Raiders is still amazing.

I think I made it through about 5-10 mins of Crystal Skull before turning it off in disgust.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Last crusade is my favorite too. Ford and Connery have such great chemistry together. Their relationship is probably the most Spielberg-y thing in any of the 3 movies. Plus River Phoenix!

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I feel like I am finally home, amoung friends, for the first time

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Last Crusade is my favorite and I think some people are afraid to admit it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Raiders is 100% the better constructed movie. It's elegant and frankly almost flawless. Crusade still entertains me more even if it is largely a retread.

edit: the library stamp gag is funnier than the hanger gag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

There are two kinds of people in this world, people who will tell you Last Crusade is the best Indy movie, and liars.