Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Beat the Heat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJhGwDkWgH0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax

Ahaha them just pulling the huge chunk of peas out all at once, so cute.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Erotic Wakes posted:

Ahaha them just pulling the huge chunk of peas out all at once, so cute.

I'm very fond of Ratthew sticking his head in at the end.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

The best is when they have to stop eating because their paws are wet and must be cleaned. :kimchi:

We just made a dig box for our boys. They are having fun just digging right now, but we'd love to hide treats in it. What do you all think would be good? Can they eat roasted peanuts or sunflower seeds (obviously in small quantities)? I'm sure they wouldn't mind but I don't want them eating a bunch of dirt-covered food.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Skutter posted:

The best is when they have to stop eating because their paws are wet and must be cleaned. :kimchi:

We just made a dig box for our boys. They are having fun just digging right now, but we'd love to hide treats in it. What do you all think would be good? Can they eat roasted peanuts or sunflower seeds (obviously in small quantities)? I'm sure they wouldn't mind but I don't want them eating a bunch of dirt-covered food.

Dog biscuits.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Very cute ratters. :3

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I showed that video to people at work the other day and today they requested a live stream of more pea fishing and all gathered around an office computer to watch.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Top tip for cooling hot rats, a quart sized ziploc filled with water and frozen will last a whole day in the cage.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

until they chew a hole in it :colbert: my girls ruined several plastic bottles and containers i used for ice

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Yeah, I protected an ice pack with a triple layer of bag, cloth, bag, and they still nearly got through it. They did chew into the bag this time but it turned out OK.

I'm thinking tupperware next time.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Yeah I froze a water bottle for my boys once and they chewed a hole through it making a big mess.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Metal would be good but I don't have anything handy.

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pykrete

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Get a solid aluminum flask with cap and freeze it 3/4 full of water

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

OK I have finally had good results with lock&lock clone tupperware type things filled with water and frozen. They quickly stopped trying to bite into it because the plastic is too thick and they huddle around it when they need to cool down. Plus if they ever did get into it I know the contents aren't toxic.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jaded Burnout posted:

OK I have finally had good results with lock&lock clone tupperware type things filled with water and frozen. They quickly stopped trying to bite into it because the plastic is too thick and they huddle around it when they need to cool down. Plus if they ever did get into it I know the contents aren't toxic.

That's a good idea.
They will still find a way to make a hole in it eventually though, I'd bet on that.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

That's a good idea.
They will still find a way to make a hole in it eventually though, I'd bet on that.

Nah, they seem to have a specific tolerance level for gnawing things after which they stop trying. The cables on my desk are testament to that, they don't bother chewing the ones in protective sleeves anymore, even though they could get in if they really want to.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Like a month plus after asking, i've finally added my rat crew tag. Bonus content: Fat Betty boy cruising in his spaceball.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Like a month plus after asking, i've finally added my rat crew tag. Bonus content: Fat Betty boy cruising in his spaceball.

Chunky :3

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

thicc

i was worried finky was growing her tumor back but i think she's just starting to get neck fat like doshiko.

and doshiko is over a pound now :nallears: please. i feed you both the same things. what is wrong with you

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Rat tumors: How do you handle these? My mama rat has one that's probably the size of a golfball under her right armpit but she doesn't seem to be bothered by it and it appears to be completely benign.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

we dropped like $700 on finky. the first place for an exam was like $150 and they were just... ugh. scheduled the surgery but wasn't feeling good about it. i went to the vet i took my guinea pigs to back in the day and got a better price and same-day surgery for her. we (barely) had the money for it so morally we felt like we had to remove it, especially bc she was so young at the time. we weren't gonna cut her life short just because it ate up most of our savings. afaik it was benign and about 1 inch in diameter.

we're doing better financially now so we could handle another one but i honestly don't know if she would handle it okay, since she's over a year old now. i don't think i would put her through it again. she did amazing though and the vet was good, and i never left them a good yelp review :downs:

it's basically dependent on your situation, the age of the rat, and their overall health. eventually i think the tumors take so many calories to maintain that they start losing weight, benign or not.

snoo fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 9, 2018

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

The Snoo posted:

thicc

i was worried finky was growing her tumor back but i think she's just starting to get neck fat like doshiko.

and doshiko is over a pound now :nallears: please. i feed you both the same things. what is wrong with you

Fat rats are the best rats. lil' tummy pudge perfect for kisses.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.

The most pro of tips- never allow clothing you still want within a literal inch of your rat cage.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Yep, that's one of the first lessons you learn as a rat owner. Your clothes WILL get chewed.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

Free assless chaps.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Fished one of my rats out from behind my PC again, same one as last time, this time I think he was sleeping in a box on the desk and one of the other rats pushed him off.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jaded Burnout posted:

Fished one of my rats out from behind my PC again, same one as last time, this time I think he was sleeping in a box on the desk and one of the other rats pushed him off.

Awwe, poor baby.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3229729&pagenumber=121#post486355716 I don't want to crowd up all the animal threads. I'm the stereotype of my arms getting strong when I can't walk. I have a space for the cage and I've read the OP. Do you think rats are a good candidate? I don't want them if they couldn't be cared for.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

craig588 posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3229729&pagenumber=121#post486355716 I don't want to crowd up all the animal threads. I'm the stereotype of my arms getting strong when I can't walk. I have a space for the cage and I've read the OP. Do you think rats are a good candidate? I don't want them if they couldn't be cared for.
The main issues I can imagine are floor time (I didn't understand from your earlier post whether you'd be sitting down on the floor or in the chair) and cleaning the cage. If the latter is solved by you having a maid or someone to help you clean it, then that's settled. I think the former won't be a problem if you can sit down on the floor during exercise / play time. Rats can be quite destructive and very active, so you not being able to grab them from no-go zones will require you to carefully think about how you set up their play area. Male rats will probably be a better choice for you, since they're more cuddly and chill.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

craig588 posted:

The vast majority of the interactions I have with my rats are sat down, to the point where they actually don't like it if I stand up and walk around with them on my shoulders. That said that's not super typical, other people's rats seem to like being trucked around, but I can't imagine they're going to care the difference between a shoulder perch on a walking human vs a rolling one.

The things that come to mind are:
1. Make sure you set up the cage in such a way that you can access all of it from your chair for cleaning and such.
2. Consider your cage choice, the one I have is a good size for my 4 rats but it's a huge pain to move because it's heavy and bulky, so be wary of that if you're planning on doing it on your own.
3. Have a think about your normal mobility and what happens if a rat makes a bad jump and gets lost behind a bookcase.
4. For play time my rats actually spend most of their time on my (fairly large) desk, but the key is they need a fairly large flat space of some kind that isn't their cage. So you may want to think about how you'd go about playing with them, usually people fence off an area and sit on the floor, though anything works really so long as the rats are safe, they can access you, and you can come and go without them running out.

So I guess to condense that, think about mobility for cage setup and maintenance, for tracking down and rescuing escaped rats, and for setting up and accessing their play area.

You know your limits better than anyone else, so if this sounds workable or you have a strong support structure at short notice then I don't see any issue with it.

DKD
Dec 25, 2011
In terms of boredom and sociability, it's my understanding that rats get a lot more out of being with another rat than with people; if you don't have a single rat living by itself, it shouldn't be that big a deal if you don't play with them outside the cage much.

Furthermore, rats have such bad eyesight that they can't really see the floor when they're on a table or desk, so they're unlikely to jump or quickly climb down to the floor unexpectedly. Key word here is "unlikely:" one of our rats was almost suicidally adventurous and would have no qualms about trying to leap off my shoulders the moment I stopped bribing her with food.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

DKD posted:

Furthermore, rats have such bad eyesight that they can't really see the floor when they're on a table or desk, so they're unlikely to jump or quickly climb down to the floor unexpectedly. Key word here is "unlikely:" one of our rats was almost suicidally adventurous and would have no qualms about trying to leap off my shoulders the moment I stopped bribing her with food.

I can back this up, my rats have never shown enough interest or bravery in leaving my desk unless they can use me as a bridge. I've only had a floor rat twice so far and that's the same rat falling off accidentally.

I've also found that they won't climb down any (near-)vertical surface except when desperate, even the ones they're very comfortable climbing up, I guess because they don't have any rear-facing claws.

DKD
Dec 25, 2011
One more thing on rats who fail to slip the surly bonds of earth: I've found that when our rats have a sudden fall into somewhere they're not already super comfortable, they will bolt to shelter and stay in place. While this may mean you have to fish them out from under a bookshelf, it also means that they'll be relatively easy to find. Once, we left the cage door loosely secured; one of our girls apparently climbed up on the door, which swung open like a drawbridge. We heard it happen from the other room, saw she was missing, and immediately panicked and ran around picking up all the roach and ant traps, putting towels under the doors so she wouldn't escape the apartment, etc. We shouldn't have bothered; she was huddled in a pile of laundry near the cage, too busy hyperventilating to get into any mischief. For extra security, feed your rats so many treats they don't go faster than a fast waddle: not only will it make them less able to bolt off into the unknown, it turns out that a rat's cuteness is almost directly proportional to their chubbiness. (Besides, when their time comes, it's not the obesity that will get them.)

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

DKD posted:

One more thing on rats who fail to slip the surly bonds of earth: I've found that when our rats have a sudden fall into somewhere they're not already super comfortable, they will bolt to shelter and stay in place. While this may mean you have to fish them out from under a bookshelf, it also means that they'll be relatively easy to find. Once, we left the cage door loosely secured; one of our girls apparently climbed up on the door, which swung open like a drawbridge. We heard it happen from the other room, saw she was missing, and immediately panicked and ran around picking up all the roach and ant traps, putting towels under the doors so she wouldn't escape the apartment, etc. We shouldn't have bothered; she was huddled in a pile of laundry near the cage, too busy hyperventilating to get into any mischief. For extra security, feed your rats so many treats they don't go faster than a fast waddle: not only will it make them less able to bolt off into the unknown, it turns out that a rat's cuteness is almost directly proportional to their chubbiness. (Besides, when their time comes, it's not the obesity that will get them.)

Same. I've started putting a few of the boxes that they usually hang out in on the floor in strategic places, so if one falls again hopefully it'll bolt into there rather than underneath my PC.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.

DKD posted:

It’s important to note too (I think) that rats aren’t usually going to bolt the minute you set them down somewhere or if you left the cage door open by accident. The three out of the four of the rats I’ve had, although they can be a little nervous, have been pretty good about learning to stay close to me when I take them out and normally return to me when I coax them out of or away from strange dark corners. My late rat Cream was honestly a little afraid the floor since i only ever put her on sheets or areas other than the carpet.

My favorite one though, Cookie, she’s way more energetic and curious than the others and will often dart back to whatever area I was trying to keep her away from- using a serpentine pattern to throw me off :3: she’s the only rat I’ve had brave enough to climb vertically down out of curiosity lol

Out of the four though only the one has been more of a handful when out of the cage, is what I’m trying to say. Even then though I’ve never “lost” any of them.

And also any time I’ve left the cage open by accident they’re usually easily located within an area a foot or two away from the cage.

e: if all else fails they’ll learn to run to you fast when they hear a sound resembling a treat bag being shook.

Starman Super DX fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 25, 2018

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Starman Super DX posted:

And also any time I’ve left the cage open by accident they’re usually easily located within an area a foot or two away from the cage.

For sure. My rats have 24/7 access to the top of their cage, so if they really really wanted to get out they could climb down the cage (or do some leaps) and go straight out the usually open window. But they don't.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I need to build some area for them to interact with me. I came up with a big 6+ foot cage shelf but they would have no interaction area with me. Cleaning a cage is no problem I already clean stuff and I've kind of tested a cage analog but I will be in a wheelchair 24/7 so no floor area will be safe for them. If they jump that's one issue, but their normal area can't be around the floor.

Do you think a big table/shelf would be good? My house is small but I find ways to get stuff in. (The doorways are just big enough for the wheelchair, but I make them work)

Thanks for the info, I'm considering new things so that's good.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

DKD posted:

For extra security, feed your rats so many treats they don't go faster than a fast waddle: not only will it make them less able to bolt off into the unknown, it turns out that a rat's cuteness is almost directly proportional to their chubbiness.

That is so extremely true.
Fat ratkids are the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I took one of mine to the vets today. "Well his testicles have definitely matured".