Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

i'm not very smart. can you explain it better?

No. Kiss my balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I think Harvest Moon games should have a stricter rating from the ESRB

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

:smith:

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I'm sorry, Mumpy Puffinz. I didn't mean to fly off the handle at you like that.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
RPGs are lame versions of real strategy games anyway

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I'm sorry, Mumpy Puffinz. I didn't mean to fly off the handle at you like that.

:unsmith:

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
somebody should make one of those sandwich alignment charts for the definition of an RPG and be done with it already

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Cultist Simulator is an interesting game hampered by a lovely UI that nearly ruins it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

signalnoise posted:

RPG
JRPG
Western RPG
CRPG
Action
Action RPG
Adventure RPG
Action-Adventure
Point-and-click Adventure

This poo poo is endless and ridiculous but some of those have more meaning than others, and I wonder if the reason there's confusion is because back in the NES days there was much less stratification, and maybe people in their 30's or higher have a more clear definition of these terms because of they were basically invented out of necessity by the games journalism industry when your mainstream options for that were pretty much Nintendo Power, Gamepro, and EGM. There was a time when Metroid, Zelda 2, and Faxanadu were considered to have similar combat and progression with differences, but essentially they were sidescrollers with locks on your progression based on finishing objectives that weren't linearly placed. You can't pidgeonhole so much anymore because the core mechanics that used to be the means of categorizing a game by genre got mixed together in their own games. The only genre in that list that still really functions is point-and-click adventure because the control mechanic is specified in the title.

I think this is exactly it. Someone made the comparison to music genres, and I hope this is what happens to video games where we have some weird equivalents to vapor wave and ocean grunge or other ridiculously niche subgenres that no one cares about.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

13Pandora13 posted:

Fallout 4 is a decent Bethesda game and an insanely lovely Fallout game.

I'm going to Boston in July. Rather than ask a person what's to do there like a normal human being, I just played Fallout 4 and noted down stuff I wanted to visit IRL. I mean I did some outside research yeah but still.

I will let y'all know about the places in Boston that were improved by the apocalypse. I'm guessing the airport is #1.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Panzeh posted:

RPGs are lame versions of real strategy games anyway

Well, apart from the ones that are lame versions of FPSes or character action games

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I really wanted to like XCOM 2. I even played it on easy for my first time just to ease into it.

Nope. This poo poo is obnoxious.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Sardonik posted:

somebody should make one of those sandwich alignment charts for the definition of an RPG and be done with it already

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
role playing gunt

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
All that warhammer stuff is garbage. What is all that poo poo even from? Why is there so much of it?

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

DogonCrook posted:

All that warhammer stuff is garbage. What is all that poo poo even from? Why is there so much of it?

I think it makes for a fun setting if you just want to bash and shoot stuff in the most childishly metal way possible (vermintide, space marine) but I'll be damned if I'm gonna be a turbo nerd and learn all the actual lore and table top poo poo.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Warhammer 40k is weird because it's such a perfect video game setting but so far all the games have been pretty mediocre

Dawn of war was ok

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

It isn't. You are Geralt. You have to do what Geradt will do

Baldur's Gate: You are a Baal spawn, you do what a Baal spawn has to do
Fallout: You are the Vault dweller selected to find the water chip, you do what a Vault dweller would do

etc

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

13Pandora13 posted:

Fallout 4 is a decent Bethesda game and an insanely lovely Fallout game.

The Fallout 4 engine and assets would make a great world building toolkit for more classically oriented developers, too bad Bethesda has no interest in letting anybody touch the property, and other companies would be wary also after Obsidian got ratfucked with New Vegas development.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

Baldur's Gate: You are a Baal spawn, you do what a Baal spawn has to do
Fallout: You are the Vault dweller selected to find the water chip, you do what a Vault dweller would do

etc

Those aren't characters, they're more like an archetype you create a character to fulfill. It's really not the same as Geralt, who is a specific character.

dkhertz
May 7, 2008
Not searching for a dp, but that unreal engine ❤️😘😍

Win. Still going strong.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

SpazmasterX posted:

I really wanted to like XCOM 2. I even played it on easy for my first time just to ease into it.

Nope. This poo poo is obnoxious.

All I can say is that the difficulty curve is inverse, so it actually starts way harder and gets easier. I enjoyed it a lot, but that game is balanced pretty stupidly. Not that I'm trying to re-sell you on it. I think until you understand the mechanics, save scumming is basically necessary because dumb bullshit will just hamper you massively. And that is obnoxious.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I don't understand the people who keep replaying XCOM. The variety is limited enough that the game becomes pretty repetitive before the end of your first campaign, and the gameplay is kinda sluggish so it's not like you are getting some sort of action game rush out repeated playing. It's not a bad series by any means, but not one I would consider snking hundreds of hours into.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Jeza posted:

All I can say is that the difficulty curve is inverse, so it actually starts way harder and gets easier. I enjoyed it a lot, but that game is balanced pretty stupidly. Not that I'm trying to re-sell you on it. I think until you understand the mechanics, save scumming is basically necessary because dumb bullshit will just hamper you massively. And that is obnoxious.

I absolutely loved XCOM:EU and EW. They're among the few games I got all the achievements/trophies for, including playing on Iron Man mode, on the hardest difficulty, with only 4 soldiers.
I think XCOM 2 is bad.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I'm going to Boston in July. Rather than ask a person what's to do there like a normal human being, I just played Fallout 4 and noted down stuff I wanted to visit IRL. I mean I did some outside research yeah but still.

I will let y'all know about the places in Boston that were improved by the apocalypse. I'm guessing the airport is #1.

BOS has really shite duty free shopping and there's no bars, if you want a drink before your flight you have to be seated like at a restaurant :wtc:

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

steinrokkan posted:

The Fallout 4 engine and assets would make a great world building toolkit for more classically oriented developers, too bad Bethesda has no interest in letting anybody touch the property, and other companies would be wary also after Obsidian got ratfucked with New Vegas development.

The day Fallout 76 teaser was released:

https://twitter.com/Obsidian/status/1001495817184661504

Broke my loving heart, though it wasn't a surprise :smith:

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

I definitely remember having to scum the first Blacksite mission because it was the first time I met snake people and in a single turn half my team got snake grabbed literally through walls, then another got mind controlled and it was just hopeless. Then in the mid-to-late game, I could probably complete nearly any mission with only two Rangers clowning on the most elite enemies with ease. Like, the last 4-5 enemy alien reveals were completely anticlimactic because they just died like the rest pretty much. Sectoids and snake people at the start were infinitely more threatening, and that just seems rear end-backwards to me in a game all about escalating stakes.

I don't remember the first XCOM remake being so topsy-turvy, but I enjoyed both just fine so whatever. I'm probably just too easy to please for that type of game because I don't really play XCOM-alikes in general.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

steinrokkan posted:

Bethesda has no interest in letting anybody touch the property, and other companies would be wary also after Obsidian got ratfucked with New Vegas development.

Holy poo poo!

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

ChazTurbo posted:

I think it makes for a fun setting if you just want to bash and shoot stuff in the most childishly metal way possible (vermintide, space marine) but I'll be damned if I'm gonna be a turbo nerd and learn all the actual lore and table top poo poo.

Yeah it seems vaguely metal if you glance so i get that. But why are so many companies allowed to make games with that ip and where did it originally come from? Like what was the original that kicked all this off?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

That's the dumbest arrangement I've ever heard and I can't believe Obsidian agreed or suggested it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

"RPG" as a genre label is just one of those times I think we have to accept that the literal wording of a genre label doesn't necessarily apply to what it means in actual usage. This is extra true for something like "JRPG," of which several prominent examples aren't "J" at all. It's like how, when people talk about "adventure games," they tend to mean something in the vein of point-and-click adventure games, while "action-adventure games" have nothing to do with that at all. Labels just end up sticking to things and sometimes it's not worth changing them just because a literal reading isn't necessarily the truest one.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Jeza posted:

That's the dumbest arrangement I've ever heard and I can't believe Obsidian agreed or suggested it.

They were younger and hungrier and crowdfunding didn't exist yet.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Jeza posted:

Yep, aside from people assigned who just hate the genre or whatever, you might get a critic like that Mass Effect/Cuphead idiot who will blow your score by outright failure.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I think it is a perfect time for my unpopular opinion:

Fallout New Vegas is not very good

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Bholder posted:

I think it is a perfect time for my unpopular opinion:

Fallout New Vegas is not very good

See, one person with terrible opinions can ruin your score.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Jeza posted:

Obsidian was a bit desperate at the time IIRC.

Also Ulysses was a terrible character.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Why do people care about Metacritic? Game reviewers don't know what makes games good and are bad at them.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why do people care about Metacritic? Game reviewers don't know what makes games good and are bad at them.

It's great if you don't want to pay out bonuses but want developers to think you will

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

punk rebel ecks posted:

Because most people are like something generally only like it at the surface level and metacritic is a great place for people with shallow opinions on video games to check in with other people who have shallow opinions on videogames and since metacritic has now become a criterion for publishers there is even more perceived importance for people with shallow opinions on videogames.

They are generally okay for getting reviews for non-game games like walking sims, CYOA Telltale garbage, or in terms of actual games mediocre super-popular TPS's like TLOU where the focus is "the narrative".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
I still resent Nintendo because I bought a Nintendo 64 exclusively to play Earthbound 64 which was delayed 10 times then was never released. I’m still not over it.