Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Poil posted:

Shut up you stupid loudmouth! I don't care! Don't start sprouting your one line of dialog if I happen to pass within 5 meters of your ugly face. :rant:

There's a mod for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Melth posted:

That IS a really good set of perks and does a lot to take werewolf from horrible even on adept to situationally useful. On legendary though you’re too fragile and have to spend too much time backing up to rag doll the same guy again while you get shot at because he’s still not dead.

Plus of course all Dragonborn already have the ability to ragdoll enemies (on a short cooldown if you stack shout bonuses, which you indisputably should), but you’re losing numerous other ways to atunlock people. Stuns are life on legendary.

There were definitely some drawbacks. Multiple enemies with ranged attacks (especially multiple casters) could end up chewing through my health, but The Atronach stone and perk do quite a lot to make enemy casters less dangerous. I also used Alteration quite a bit because Paralyze is my favorite spell in the game, and the various <blank>Flesh spells, while not hugely impactful, helped out a fair bit. Not that Mage Armor is normally a particularly good perk, but Werewolf form has some base armor to work with and an extra 300 armor for 60(90) seconds really helps.

Honestly, though, the biggest drawback was the fact that you can't really interact with things. There were plenty of dungeons that I could run all the way through, gleefully murdering everything in my path, but then I'd have to either give up most of the loot or tediously walk through again picking things up as I go.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
So will your Warrior play-through be done via Alexa?

I'm not joking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnEW6dX_BmU

That video's not a joke either; it's actually available on Alexa.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Your first Vampire Mission is to talk to Garth Marenghi? Bullshit, no author of that quality touched this questions.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

FYI: "Regrets only" means you don't have to (and in fact, aren't supposed to) respond to the invitation confirming that you're going to attend; only respond if you aren't going to go.
Useful if you're inviting a hundred people and don't want to deal with getting 100 responses.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Weeble posted:

So will your Warrior play-through be done via Alexa?

I'm not joking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnEW6dX_BmU

That video's not a joke either; it's actually available on Alexa.

I'd better start piling stuff up around my house so I have enough to knock down with Amulet + Shrine + Morokei Fus Ro Dah!

Speaking of which, Hjalti needs to go get his shrine blessing and Morokei back:

Days 32-33: A Mark(arth)ed Man

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Dropping an atronach or even a familiar is usually enough to distract whatever is chasing you.

Not sure you can actually fully destroy the Dark Brotherhood as the quest doesn't involve killing the dumb clown and burning the motherly corpse. So he could just go and rebuild it. As a group of crazy concept worshiping and murdering jesters. It would be the natural evolution for the next elderer scroll.

I enjoyed your poetry reading. Just wish the poem was better. :)

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I like the Embassy mission. I generally smuggle in a minimal amount of supplies, usually just a weapon, some jewelry, and some potions. My last character was using heavy armour, and since I couldn't loot any heavy armour on premise I had to murder elves in stolen fine clothes and a smuggled in 2-handed axe. Good times.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
I've tried to play stealth missions like clean hands ghosting. Using arrows to distract and divert people is finicky, but it works about half the time (the other half they walk elsewhere).

The embassy mission's hard to do that, especially with the ambush after you free the prisoner.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Markarth is the worst. It's impossible to navigate.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Poil posted:

I enjoyed your poetry reading. Just wish the poem was better. :)

Be careful what you wish for; I’ve written quite a lot myself!

Bootcha posted:

I've tried to play stealth missions like clean hands ghosting. Using arrows to distract and divert people is finicky, but it works about half the time (the other half they walk elsewhere).

The embassy mission's hard to do that, especially with the ambush after you free the prisoner.

Yeah, it has some fun stealth aspects but then they’re damaged by things like being scripted to be caught there. Or even trying to get through that backyard area. I find myself auto-detected there more often than not.

Tiggum posted:

Markarth is the worst. It's impossible to navigate.

I’m glad it’s not just me who gets confused there! I do really like how it’s a 3-dimensional place though. Makes me wish for more outdoor dwarven ruins.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Incidentally Markarth is one of the few actually visually interesting cities in Skyrim, and it recalls fond memories of actually interesting places as there were in Morrowind.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Another day in my giant slog across all of Skyrim!

Days 33-34: Redwater Done

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
So they immediately betray each other upon finding you at the end, but still fight together against you and only you? It could have been interesting if it was a big fight against two groups of mutually aggressive bands of enemies as you pick off the weak ones one-by-one. But that was just silly

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Is this dungeon a part of the Dawnguard questline? The name is familiar, but I don't remember ever going there.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
So Melth, I'm curious, but what class do you personally think has the highest raw damage potential? I say this having only ever played Skyrim as a sneak archer, and enjoying watching healthbars evaporate thanks to my sneak attack multipliers. I always lost interest in playing a mage after a while because I always thought they were so limited after they did away with spells like levitate and spellmaking in general, along with some of the more wacky spells of the previous games. I am glad you're showing me a different way and even how much potential for strategy and smart play there is!

As an addendum to that, but what sort of build do you personally enjoy playing the most?

E: to add, since I never really dabbled into it, but how much investment would it take for enchanting to actually be worth it, and make items at least as good as or better than those found in shops or in loot?

mortons stork fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 24, 2018

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
There's a quest you can do for a repeatable Black Soul gem, which lets you use bandits and junk to get unlimited Grand Souls. As long as you have those, you can keep roughly apace with store and loot items (outside of the magicka recovery on mage robes). Except you get to pick the enchantments you get, which is a whole lot easier than scouring the world for every gear tier. Then once you hit Enchanting 100, you get to craft incredibly broken poo poo like -100% magicka cost on Destruction spells and two enchantments on every item. It takes a lot less grinding to keep up than Smithing, too.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Plus with manual enchanting you can do broken gamey poo poo like a 1 second paralysis enchantment on a dagger.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

mortons stork posted:

E: to add, since I never really dabbled into it, but how much investment would it take for enchanting to actually be worth it, and make items at least as good as or better than those found in shops or in loot?

Short version: Enchanting is actually worth it at 60 Smithing.

Okay, let me take a step back here. There's a basic feedback loop for enchanting that works something like this:

- Have soul gems
- Fill soul gems by soul trapping things you were already going to kill
- Use some soul gems to recharge your stuff as needed
- Burn the rest of your soul gems enchanting random crap you were already going to pick up either at one of the million arcane enchanters in the dungeon or when you make it back to town
- Turn around and sell your enchanted random crap which is now more valuable because it's magic random crap you were already going to sell
- Use money to buy more soul gems
- Repeat

Inevitably you run into one of three supply problems, which is what limits your ability to raise Enchanting:
- Not enough filled soul gems
- Not enough random crap to enchant
- Not enough vendor money to buy the suddenly incredibly valuable crap you're selling.

If you're using Smithing to improve your armor and/or weapons, though, you're probably going to not find Enchanting very useful because you have to pick between having enchanted armor and weapons vs having those same armor and weapons improved. Until you hit 60 Smithing and take the perk, you can't use both on the same piece of gear. As boring as more weapon damage is, it's probably a better option than whatever modest enchantment you can throw on your weapon (some exceptions may apply, i.e Paralyze). Likewise, with the way armor works if you're using armor you really want to be stacking as much of it as possible at all times until you can reach the cap of 80%. An extra 5% might not seem like much when it's the difference between 20% and 25% reduction, but the difference between 70% and 75% reduction is much more substantial.

Arcomage
Nov 10, 2012
Sometimes I wonder about the inhabitants of Skyrim. On the one hand, they seem very enthousiastic to go digging around in caves, and to open or reopen mining operations. On the other hand, all they ever seem to find is veins of Draugr, with the occasional pocket of Falmer or giant spiders for variety.

(On a hypothetical third hand, veins of Draugr aren't so bad from an economical point of view. Unfortunately, deposits of Stalhrim seem to have vanished from the mainland of Skyrim even though in earlier games it was one of the main reasons for people to go around digging into Nordic ruins).

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
drat, crafting mechanics have gotten complicated, man. It used to be that you could pay someone to enchant your poo poo and you were only constrained by item quality and the size of the soul in the gem you were using. But now you have to put this much effort in, just to get stuff that's going to be marginally better than the poo poo you find for sale?

Thanks Olesh for the big explanation, I think I might try it on my next character, see how well it meshes with my gameplay. Although I'm already worried about excessive leveling from crafting vendor crap, not sure how worth it it would be in the grand scheme of things.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Unless I'm misremembering or have forgotten I modded it, you can always enchant. You just can't smith after enchanting until you've taken the Arcane Smithing perk. So you can always improve something then enchant it.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Besides you can just craft a new one to improve and enchant up before then, extra skill ups.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

mortons stork posted:

drat, crafting mechanics have gotten complicated, man. It used to be that you could pay someone to enchant your poo poo and you were only constrained by item quality and the size of the soul in the gem you were using. But now you have to put this much effort in, just to get stuff that's going to be marginally better than the poo poo you find for sale?

Thanks Olesh for the big explanation, I think I might try it on my next character, see how well it meshes with my gameplay. Although I'm already worried about excessive leveling from crafting vendor crap, not sure how worth it it would be in the grand scheme of things.

Enchanting is riduclously broken even without doing alchemy stuff to turn it into a wank.

1 - collect/buy iron ore and soul gems
2 - transmute ore into gold
3 - make rings to level smithing
4 - enchant rings and resell for more than cost to level enchanting.

Or - An iron dagger with a petty soul gem banish daedra enchantment is worth like base 700g and more vendors buy them. Once you get the speechcraft perk that lest you sell any item to any vendor it becomes hillariously easy to offload and level this stuff.

I had one guy recently with 100 enchanting and 100 smithing and 100 alchemy. I'd make +Enchantment potions and make gear with stupid double bonuses. My damage output and survivability were so high that I just quit playing him and started a guy with something closer to Melth's rules, because the game was no fun anymore once you can sneak up on and one-shot a levelled dragon.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Are there any particular perks you want for effective enchanting? Not using any alchemy loops or similar boring stuff.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Poil posted:

Are there any particular perks you want for effective enchanting? Not using any alchemy loops or similar boring stuff.

It's not really complicated, believe it or not. You want all the perks that make your enchanting stronger - take the base perks that increase your enchantment strength by 20% every time as they become available. Take the perks that boost skill enchantments and health/magicka/stamina enchantments as they become available. Once you hit 100 enchanting, take Extra Effect immediately. You can pretty safely give the remaining perks a pass - Fire/Frost/Shock Enchanter aren't super great unless you're really into the idea of making an elemental damage sword and boosting it, and Soul Squeezer/Soul Siphon are a convenience at best.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

People posted:

Enchanting!

There’s a huge amount to talk about here. Basically enchanting is the single best of the 3 crafts, but only if you grind it. All the crafts will give you VAST amounts of XP and thus make you fight massively high level enemies, so they’re crippling unless you optimize them. In which case even one breaks the game and two or more are god mode.

To level enchanting efficiently, you’ll basically want to pick up a cheap soul trap weapon early and use it to kill every random animal on your path. Buy all empty petty and lesser soul gems available. Buy empty grands too to build a stockpile, but make sure you never fill one accidentally. The best source of grand souls is mammoths. They’re plentiful, easy to find from level 1, and trivial to kill with any ranged weapon.

Buy all iron ore available (and mine it too). Either transmute to gold and smith into two rings or combine with your leather strips from the animals you kill to make iron daggers. Enchant the rings or daggers with the highest gold value enchantments you have available. On weapons Banish Daedra is king but impossible to acquire till high levels. Turn undead is great in the meantime. Some easily acquired +plus skill enchantments are very valuable on armor/rings. High value not only lets you keep the grind going by not running out of money for supplies, but also gives more XP.

You’ll need to enchant like 500 things to hit level 100, so it’s boring and stupid. But you need to Smith like 3000 things (gold rings or iron nails/daggers are most efficient) to hit 100 smithing so that’s even worse.

Your enchanted stuff will generally be inferior in stats to purchasable stuff until skill level 60-80. It depends on your character level, but your character level will be massively inflated by doing this in the first place.

The real use of it till level 60-80 is that (as I’ve aaid) you can enchant specific item slots with enchantments that are never naturally available in that slot. That lets you do things like stack smithing bonuses super high even before your level is great.

Your enchanted stuff goes abruptly from great to indisputable best stuff in the game the instant you hit skill 100 at which point you can break everything.

Anyway the whole process is boring and makes no in character sense, and the payoff is that you stop having any challenge or fun.

mortons stork posted:

So Melth, I'm curious, but what class do you personally think has the highest raw damage potential? I say this having only ever played Skyrim as a sneak archer, and enjoying watching healthbars evaporate thanks to my sneak attack multipliers. I always lost interest in playing a mage after a while because I always thought they were so limited after they did away with spells like levitate and spellmaking in general, along with some of the more wacky spells of the previous games. I am glad you're showing me a different way and even how much potential for strategy and smart play there is!

As an addendum to that, but what sort of build do you personally enjoy playing the most?

Highest DPS is indisputably a dual wielding character who abuses crafting and has a bit of sneak. The highest attainable DPS would be a stupid build like this:

Be an orc.

Take the dagger sneak attack perk and get the gloves of x2 melee sneak attack

Use the alchemy, enchant, alchemy, enchant cycle to make the best possible +one-handed gear and best possible +smith gear. Use the smith gear to make the best possible dragonbone daggers. Do not enchant them.

Dual-wield your daggers with all the dual wield perks and obviously maxed one-handed skill while wearing all the +one handed enchantments. Use elemental fury. Use berserker rage.

You can swing each dagger 3-4 times per second and each dagger deals (at the very least) thousands and thousands of damage per hit. Stack on x30 damage from sneak and x2 more for berserker rage and you will dish out millions-billions of DPS depending on how strong your daggers are. Of course, one hit from one dagger kills anything anyway...

As for my favorite I enjoy both warriors and mages. Mage is a bit more forgiving, but it also requires a lot of creative tactics and flexibility to function. Warrior on the other hand requires absolute mastery of two or three things which are equally useful in all situations. Warrior is more of a skill challenge, mage is more of a tactical challenge, but both involve some of both and are quite fun.

Melth fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 25, 2018

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Just got the SE on sale. Installed the unofficial patch and started playing around.

Intro sucks but the game is fun so far and really quite pretty. The sheer number of side quests right from the getgo is staggering.

I'm currently debating whether or not to install SPERG. On the one hand I want to get a good feel for the base game before modding it, but on the other hand the need for multiple tiers of +XX% damage for almost all skills is kinda boring.

Anyway, really enjoying the LP, Melth. You're the one who finally got me to buy this silly game and check it out.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

I always just cheated to max enchanting and smithing as soon as I'd levelled every other skill I was going to use to max, because honestly, at the point where you're manually crafting and enchanting 3000 daggers to break a single player game over your knee in a way the creators didn't intend you might as well be cheating so why not do it the most efficient way?

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

MinistryofLard posted:

I always just cheated to max enchanting and smithing as soon as I'd levelled every other skill I was going to use to max, because honestly, at the point where you're manually crafting and enchanting 3000 daggers to break a single player game over your knee in a way the creators didn't intend you might as well be cheating so why not do it the most efficient way?

I can't argue with that. For that matter, if the creators intended you to play a game in a profoundly stupid way, cheating is also reasonable. I would never even consider playing Oblivion without using the console to skip the horrendous skill grinding you must do every single level.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
The Enchant/Alchemy/Smithing trinity I always reserved around the time of the Thalmor spy party. How much of the side/dedreic/misc questing is up to the player.

I will say going through Dragonborn DLC without the trinity is loving hard, especially early on.

And t be fair I don't run any vanilla Skyrim runs because of Bandoleers, Weightless alchemy, 0.1 potions, and other "quality of life" mods.

The addition of legendary skills mad me think about branching to magic, but when you can carry hundreds of pots and cheese wheels, why sweat it?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Enchanting always felt lovely to me until the highest levels. When you're level 10 messing around with petty soul gems and tiny perk bonuses, it's completely pointless. Then you grind until a tipping point and it becomes god tier.

At least with blacksmithing you get use out of it at the lower levels. +2 damage on a 16 damage sword isn't nothing, and you can always make your own stuff from scratch.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Enchanting always felt lovely to me until the highest levels. When you're level 10 messing around with petty soul gems and tiny perk bonuses, it's completely pointless. Then you grind until a tipping point and it becomes god tier.

At least with blacksmithing you get use out of it at the lower levels. +2 damage on a 16 damage sword isn't nothing, and you can always make your own stuff from scratch.

Yeah, with smithing the main problem is that you have to grind HARD in order to even be able to smith things from level-appropriate materials. By the time your blacksmithing skill is high enough to make orcish armor, you've leveled your character so much that you need ebony or something.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Melth posted:

I would never even consider playing Oblivion without using the console to skip the horrendous skill grinding you must do every single level.

Personally I either just accepted my suboptimal levelups because it didn't really matter, or I installed mods that changed the insane levelup system

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

My experience is that Smithing isn’t remotely worth it until you can don at least +50% worth of Improve Smithing enchanted gear and then also chug a potent Improve Smithing potion. Which runs you into the issue that Alchemy breaks the game so why are you bothering with Smithing?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I've never gotten alchemy past level 30, whereas I've maxed smithing and enchanting on multiple characters.

It's just so boring and tedious (even in comparison). And outside of specific things like +smithing or +enchanting, potions are just so, so garbage. Maybe this changes when your skill is high? Poisons seem even worse most of the time.

I'm not even sure what makes alchemy good, outside of the fortify smithing or enchanting potions. I know there's something I'm missing but I've never gotten ranks high enough to see it.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Fortify skill potions are godly

RandomMagus
May 3, 2017

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I've never gotten alchemy past level 30, whereas I've maxed smithing and enchanting on multiple characters.

It's just so boring and tedious (even in comparison). And outside of specific things like +smithing or +enchanting, potions are just so, so garbage. Maybe this changes when your skill is high? Poisons seem even worse most of the time.

I'm not even sure what makes alchemy good, outside of the fortify smithing or enchanting potions. I know there's something I'm missing but I've never gotten ranks high enough to see it.

The only things I ever used alchemy for was the Fortify Restoration alchemy loop to make stupid enchanted gear if I was feeling game-y and just generally to make health potions or a quick buck off of giant toes if I wasn't.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You can get a garden plot in Hearthfire (and maybe the Dragonborn house), which lets you grow any kind of harvestable ingredient at your leisure. I'm sure you could keep a stash of buffs to whatever skills you're using, plus invisibility/healing/whatever if you wanted, but if you want to invest in crafting stuff like daggers of infinite damage or armor of infinite magicka are a bit more appetizing as end goals.

Plus learning recipes is a big hassle and if you have a garden you can also just cheese-level alchemy by crafting 5-effect potions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
So, ummm, maybe my expectations are way biased due to watching Melth play on Legendary, but Atronachs strike me as pretty ridiculous on the regular difficulty. One Flame Atronach took care of the Draugr Overlord in the Bleak Falls Barrow.

The first dragon also bit it super fast; I had most of my Elsweyr fondue left by the time it died.

Think I might try bumping the difficulty up one level.