Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Whenever twitter ppl talk derisively about "FYAD" it's rly funny to me because they're clearly trying to flex insider knowledge but they have so little actual knowledge it never makes any fuckin sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

arthur post your tier list

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hat Thoughts posted:

Whenever twitter ppl talk derisively about "FYAD" it's rly funny to me because they're clearly trying to flex insider knowledge but they have so little actual knowledge it never makes any fuckin sense

It really sells the nerd rage

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm going to say it. . . I don't care you broke your arm.

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

the pink forum,, the very heart of darkness

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Hat Thoughts posted:

i thought it couldn't get funnier than the weirdos who keep posting in QCS about how FYAD is killing these dead gay forums, but twitters trying to own a subforum of like 12 people posting jokes they can't read and haven't read on a dying forum whose peak was over a decade ago might actually have done it

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon
What the gently caress is this rape apologist bullshit Felix episode??

This is really bad.

Holy poo poo it just gets worse this needs an apology or booting Felix. Where are the females in these guys lives to say uh no, this is not good at all.

Jeffrey Dahmer fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jun 26, 2018

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Jeffrey Dahmer posted:

This is really bad.

Holy poo poo it just gets worse this needs an apology or booting Felix. Where are the females in these guys lives to say uh no, this is not good at all.

I haven't listened to the episode yet but the writer and article being discussed were praised by 90% of the music writing community. I'm curious how it goes.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Jeffrey Dahmer posted:

This is really bad.

Don't you have twinks to be murdering by pouring acid into holes you've drilled into their foreheads?

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon

Henchman of Santa posted:

I haven't listened to the episode yet but the writer and article being discussed were praised by 90% of the music writing community. I'm curious how it goes.

I think its just the super lovely handling and extremely blase attitude from the worst host they could have chosen to discuss a rapist.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hit up his manager about it

Eegah!
Jul 26, 2010

Jeffrey Dahmer posted:

This is really bad.

Just listened to the episode. It was just basically a discussion of how he represents a current cultural phenomenon. There’s a lot of nuance to it and pretty interesting and I honestly don’t see how you got that it was excusing his crimes. All three clearly say that his history nor his music doesn’t excuse what he did with any qualifiers. The closets it gets to that is just observing how much his fans have been willing to forgive it because of his impact on them.

It was interesting and worth a listen.

Stickfigure
Sep 4, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Trade Felix to Cum Town for Adam

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

given senor dahmer's previous posting i presume the episode is probably mediocre at worst

Eegah!
Jul 26, 2010

TetsuoTW posted:

given senor dahmer's previous posting i presume the episode is probably mediocre at worst

Its abhorrent if you felt x’s death was justified and danced on his grave after the fact on Twitter. They talk about how that reaction was over the top.

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon
Actually the episode was fine because they are cool guys and

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon
Felix: Can you go into a bit more detail about how it was problematic

Guest: The physical abuse?

Felix: No, the change of style on his amazing new album.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I heard it entirely now, and I think you're overselling on how long they spend on the music flow / actual artistry. They go way more into how he was seen by the public, his life story and how his charges were handled and in no way they excuse his behavior. I mean, even the person who did the profiling admits that there was definitely a controlling vibe around him + the positive part of said podcast is to showcase how someone like him managed to foster a fandom that most likely got his ex's life destroyed further in several ways in a messed up way to defend XXX.

poo poo, only having Felix and Chris was a far better move for what was a mostly serious podcast. Having Will or Matt on the background going "AA-AA-A-WWWUUUUH???? ECKSSSECKSSEEKCCS - DENTASHII-ON??? soundcloud meme??? fortnite??? twitch memes??? " would have destroyed this episode.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Jeffrey Dahmer posted:

Actually the episode was fine because they are cool guys and
lol you're so fuckin buns your rear end gotta stay outta wendys so you don't get eaten by mice

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Kunster posted:

poo poo, only having Felix and Chris was a far better move for what was a mostly serious podcast. Having Will or Matt on the background going "AA-AA-A-WWWUUUUH???? ECKSSSECKSSEEKCCS - DENTASHII-ON??? soundcloud meme??? fortnite??? twitch memes??? " would have destroyed this episode.

I find this difficult to believe.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

Hat Thoughts posted:

It's because somebody told them "get out" a decade ago and they still aren't over it approximately 100% of the time

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

However you kind of have to keep in mind former FYADers are now part of the twitter biome. But there's indeed a problem of people going "I used to be from the pink forum/imageboard" like this crown of thorns to excuse missteps rather than being part of one's formative years.

prefect posted:

I find this difficult to believe.

There are times when Felix does use a simile or attempts to talk about something serious that happened to be about a "soundcloud rapper" or "twitch" and they tend to have somewhat clunky, overdone reactions to it.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jeffrey Dahmer posted:

This is really bad.

great username/post combo dude

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon

Kunster posted:

I heard it entirely now, and I think you're overselling on how long they spend on the music flow / actual artistry. They go way more into how he was seen by the public, his life story and how his charges were handled and in no way they excuse his behavior. I mean, even the person who did the profiling admits that there was definitely a controlling vibe around him + the positive part of said podcast is to showcase how someone like him managed to foster a fandom that most likely got his ex's life destroyed further in several ways in a messed up way to defend XXX.

I'm surprised you have heard it after reading this reply.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
the episode was fine

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Somehow feel like the gbs regular isn’t posting in totally good faith!!

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Jeffrey Dahmer posted:

I'm surprised you have heard it after reading this reply.

what the heck! you are named after a serial killer!!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
They mostly talk about XXXTentacion's popularity as an artifact of our incredibly broken society, they extensively compare him to Trump, but yeah I think they're saying he's real cool and good and never did anything wrong.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Guy Goodbody posted:

They mostly talk about XXXTentacion's popularity as an artifact of our incredibly broken society, they extensively compare him to Trump,

And the Armenian genocide

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Two things:

1) I always read his name as xxxtension
2) I think part of it is how they assume prior knowledge in the convo, which is reasonable but makes it harder to follow the points sometimes. Like when Tarpley talks about the gofundme for his ex & doesn't really explain what was going on. Almost like they expected listeners to have read the piece first.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Hoooooooooly poo poo.

https://archive.is/ZuTkO

quote:

Why Supporting Free Association For Cake Bakers Doesn’t License Discrimination Against Sarah Sanders
A restauranteur most certainly cannot refuse service to anyone she doesn't like. Not in this country.

The staff of a little restaurant called The Red Hen in Lexington, Virginia, humiliated White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders this weekend. They sounded the alarm when she and her family showed up for dinner, and the owner asked them to leave, “babbling” about the restaurant’s “standards” of compassion and cooperation. With a Facebook post announcing her eviction from the restaurant, the staff cemented her humiliation.

Many seem to have quickly assumed the owner, Stephanie Wilkinson, has a right to refuse service to anyone at her own restaurant. Perhaps between libertarians who enshrine the freedom to do what one pleases, more traditional conservatives who enshrine the freedom to do what one pleases with the business one owns, and modern liberals who demand that everything from sex to dinner be political statements subject to public rebuke, there is no one left to notice that assertion is actually totally off base. A restauranteur most certainly cannot refuse service to anyone she doesn’t like. Not in this country.

Take a prospective diner who is black. If Wilkinson doesn’t like such a man because he is black, she has three choices under federal law: she can sell her restaurant, face punishment, or undertake sufficient “compassion and cooperation” to serve him a meal. In such case, neither the Fifth Amendment’s right to property nor the Thirteenth Amendment’s right to freedom from involuntary servitude is a“‘right’ to select … guests as [she] sees fit, free from governmental regulation.” (Heart of Atlanta Motel v. United States, 379 U.S. 241, 226, 229 (1964).)

The same goes for not liking a guest who is Muslim because he is Muslim, or one who is Christian because he is Christian. The reason Congress may regulate such discrimination is its power under the Commerce and Necessary and Proper clauses, which ”extends to activities of retail establishments, including restaurants, [that] directly or indirectly burden or obstruct interstate commerce.” (Katzenbach v. McClung, 379 U.S. 294, 302 (1964).)

Just as with racial and religious discrimination, if Congress were ever to determine that political discrimination burdens interstate commerce, the Supreme Court could plausibly decide that prohibiting political discrimination is within the powers granted to Congress under the Commerce and Necessary and Proper clauses. Under the Court’s modern expansion of the Commerce Clause to domestic activity, even a so-called farm-to-table restaurant such as The Red Hen serving only locally sourced food away from an interstate highway might be corralled by a hypothetical federal anti-political discrimination law.

Political discrimination probably already burdens interstate commerce. It will probably soon start to burden it even more. Reflecting upon a growing national discord, Francis Wilkinson warned last week in an article for Bloomberg that if liberals are disappointed in the next election, they will leverage their “great deal of cultural, academic[,] and economic heft” and “divorce their … economy from Trumpism and from their fellow Americans who support it,” “give[ing] up on Alabama and Mississippi … [and] on Kansas and Nebraska.”

It’s already beginning to happen. In an interview for Wilkinson’s Bloomberg article, Thomas Schaller, a liberal political scientist, argues that “we’re at the beginning of a soft civil war.” Schaller “[doesn’t] know if the country gets out of it whole.” All civil wars — even soft ones — burden interstate commerce.

But some would-be civil warriors who praise Stephanie Wilkinson for humiliating Sanders have set sail in a pond-deep legal analogy. Relying on a Supreme Court case just decided this Term, Masterpiece Cakeshop v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission, they argue that if a religious baker cannot be compelled to bake a custom cake for a gay wedding, then a liberal restaurateur cannot be compelled to serve dinner to a Trumpist. The freedom to discriminate, goes the argument, must imply the freedom to discriminate against the discriminators.

Masterpiece Cakeshop concerns the clause of the First Amendment guaranteeing the free exercise of religion. It therefore serves as limited authority for a challenge to a hypothetical federal law prohibiting political discrimination. Such a case would perhaps involve other provisions of the First Amendment but would principally involve the Commerce and the Necessary and Proper clauses.

Masterpiece Cakeshop does, however, encompass a moral intuition about what makes discrimination unjust. The intuition is a maxim by which to judge the behavior of others, but it is also a lamppost under which we may judge our own. One’s strong conviction that his discrimination is just is precisely the feature of discrimination that strongly suggests the opposite. To be free from the awful human wont to discriminate unjustly is to be free from the prejudices that inform such a strong conviction. And to be free from such prejudices requires an open mind.

A mind cannot throw its barn doors open wide lest it lose all its principles. But, where our minds must remain open is where we share common affection. Our love of God, country, and family is a start. Our desire to eat is another. When we refuse to break bread with one another, we close our minds completely; when we close our minds completely to our fellow citizens, we fray our national unity, burden interstate commerce, and endanger our common emotional health. We also kick people out of restaurants. Men “living their convictions” did so during Jim Crow. Stephanie Wilkinson, “living her convictions,” did so in our time. Those convictions are vice — not virtue.

To this end, far from agreeing with Stephanie Wilkinson that a person’s perceived moral unacceptability justifies discriminating against her, the Masterpiece Cakeshop court condemned the Colorado Civil Rights Commission for personally disparaging the religious baker. The more perceived moral unacceptability, the less justified the disparagement.

So, the Masterpiece Cakeshop court especially condemned one commissioner for describing the baker’s faith as “one of the most despicable pieces of rhetoric that people can use.” Drawing a clear parallel to the repeated and recent outbursts of caustic bile launched not just at the Trump administration but on Trumpists of all sorts, the court condemned that same commissioner for going “so far as to compare [the baker’s] invocation of his sincerely held religious beliefs to defenses of slavery and the Holocaust.” The heated accusations against he who is discriminated against make the discrimination less justified — not more. So too with Mrs. Sanders.

Jesus dined with tax collectors. The Red Hen can serve a press secretary.

Sean Ross Callaghan is an attorney and a former law clerk for a U.S. District Court judge. He served in the Treasury Department, the Justice Department, and in the DC Attorney General's office as an assistant attorney general. Follow him on Twitter @seanrcallaghan.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

that last line is *chef kissing fingers*, the embodiment of the moronic take factory that is the federalist
because tax collectors are morally equal to these "people"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The most striking thing from the Miami New Times article was the people saying he was charismatic and you couldn't say no to him.

Like, just admit that you were afraid a 15 year old would beat you up if you didn't let him DJ at your club.

He sounds like every piece of poo poo I've ever known who always had people carrying water for him because he had pretty eyes or whatever.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Jeffrey Dahmer posted:

drat, this obvious joke has really convinced me of whatever point you're trying to make here

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

I will not rest until Felix is kicked off of his fortnite team

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Jeffrey Dahmer posted:

lol that's absolutely not what he asked but sure

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It's weird to disparage gravedancing when half the show is wishing death on political enemies

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Henchman of Santa posted:

It's weird to disparage gravedancing when half the show is wishing death on political enemies

you do realize that there's a difference between a marginally famous online celebrity and the people with actual political power?

Here's a hint. How many of the people chapo's made fun of have died due to gun violence?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

prefect posted:

:lol: at Virgil's description of Hitler as a wizard who cast a charisma spell.
Virgil is Scott Adams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

OmanyteJackson posted:

you do realize that there's a difference between a marginally famous online celebrity and the people with actual political power?

One of them directly terrorized a handful of people and the other ones indirectly terrorize many people?